PDA

View Full Version : Ana Ivanovic Status @ TennisForum.com

Cp6uja
Apr 9th, 2009, 11:14 PM
Last month we have here at GM of TennisForum big Poll/Research about active WTA players "popularity". Thread has over 700 replies and every forum member has right to vote his personal 10 most favorite and 10 most disliked active players (1st place - 10pts, 2nd - 9 pts... etc...). I think no big surprises about results, but still I think that Ana Ivanovic 2nd season in the row "most hated" status here is interesting like subject for discussion. Especially if we know that Ana is in generally WTA "Crowd Favorite" around the world (and Media also)... OK, even here she has also big support on other hand (#5 and TOP3 if we count only "Favorite-#1" votes), but still overall picture seems disqusting here.

TennisForum Popularity Contest / March-2009 Edition

OVERALL RANKINGS . . . . . . . . FAVOURITE . . . . . . . HATED/DISLIKED

http://i39.tinypic.com/nb5chh.png http://i40.tinypic.com/2a6tjs1.png http://i40.tinypic.com/2po4irp.png
http://i43.tinypic.com/1p71j6.png http://i39.tinypic.com/azjwqd.png http://i42.tinypic.com/10df49s.png
http://i39.tinypic.com/2rog6ma.png http://i39.tinypic.com/ve11ev.png http://i40.tinypic.com/103acte.png
http://i44.tinypic.com/28m0a5v.png http://i41.tinypic.com/3354hs5.png
http://i44.tinypic.com/331ef7p.png

So what do You think about this (unexpected) phenom about Ana Ivanovic "popularity" :help::tape: at worlds most popular WTA related forum?

gaviotabr
Apr 9th, 2009, 11:32 PM
GM is a bandwagon forum. There is a bandwagon.. everyone hops along..

There is the fistpump, the squeaky shoes.. one person says it, 100 enter the bandwagon. And then you have Ana in the most hated list. I think that might have increased by the almost year of bad results. The "I hate Ana" bandwagon already existed, and the fact that she was losing early at every tournament made it easier for more people to join. I'm sure when Ana starts playing great tennis again, she will regain respect from some people. And I think some fan bases really got into voting in this poll.. I don't think it was Ana's case. I didn't vote, for an example.. and plenty of Ana's fans have given up on GM or on this board completely because of all the hate. Ana has a great website, with a forum that works out well, which invites her fanbase to stay there.. the same can't be said about 99% of the other players on tour. What I mean is that Ana could have more favorite votes.. and a bigger fanbase in a forum can contribute to either make a player more hated or more respected.. I'm not sure about which case would be this one..

I don't mind it though.. it means that she is relevant, that she is a force on the tour. Ana is a crowd favorite everywhere she goes, she gets plenty of support in every tournament, people in the real world naturally love her.. and that's a fact that is out there for everyone to see and that is a topic of conversation between commentators all around the globe. That's the most important thing.

Cp6uja
Apr 10th, 2009, 12:17 AM
GM is a bandwagon forum. There is a bandwagon.. I don't think that her slump has anything with this phenom. When she won 1st GS title and reach WTA #1 last June, Ana was also been most hated player here :shrug:. BTW results problems only helps Sharapova to be more popular here and less disliked (if we compare this poll-results with her 2008 TennisForum.com status).

Also I don't think that Ana haters hate her because fist pumps, "ajdes", squeaky shoes... it's more seems to me that they dont have any rational explanation why they hate such likable and nice person like Ana:angel: is so they give all that cheep and weak explanations because don't have any better. If Ana has such many haters b/c fist pumps - how many haters should to have Serena b/c arrogance, Sharapova and Azarenka b/c loud noise, Jankovic b/c medicals, Dementieva b/c toilet breaks, Safina b/c fiery, Zvonareva b/c tiers...?

But for me is most intrigue fact that in "real life" Ana is global tennis "Crowd (fans) Favorite", but here has most haters! It's never happen here with previous WTA "Crowd Favorites" (Clijsters or Davenport) which is also very popular at this forum. Also likable players without any big controversy like Dementieva or Venus is also not much hated here... but why Ana Is??? Players like Sharapova, Serena, Jankovic...or former like Hingis, Kournikova, Capriati... with all that controversy on and off court is very loved and disliked in same time, and here at this board they status are same in general. Also some good players which was never so liked around (tennis) world during career despite great results (Henin, Mauresmo, Kuznetsova...) have similar situation at this forum. But only in Ana Ivanovic case we have such big disproportion about her status in real life and this forum - she is current "ultimate" Crowd Favorite, but here she is most hated/disliked player!

gaviotabr
Apr 10th, 2009, 12:26 AM
I don't think that her slump has anything with this phenom. When she won 1st GS title and reach WTA #1 last June, Ana was also been most hated player here :shrug:. BTW results problems only helps Sharapova to be more popular here and less disliked (if we compare this poll-results with her 2008 TennisForum.com status).

Also I don't think that Ana haters hate her because fist pumps, "ajdes", squeaky shoes... it's more seems to me that they dont have any rational explanation why they hate such likable and nice person like Ana:angel: is so they give all that cheep and weak explanations because don't have any better. If Ana has such many haters b/c fist pumps - how many haters should to have Serena b/c arrogance, Sharapova and Azarenka b/c loud noise, Jankovic b/c medicals, Dementieva b/c toilet breaks, Safina b/c fiery, Zvonareva b/c tiers...?

But for me is most intrigue fact that in "real life" Ana is global tennis "Crowd (fans) Favorite", but here has most haters! It's never happen here with previous WTA "Crowd Favorites" (Clijsters or Davenport) which is also very popular at this forum. Also likable players without any big controversy like Dementieva or Venus is also not much hated here... but why Ana Is??? Players like Sharapova, Serena, Jankovic...or former like Hingis, Kournikova, Capriati... with all that controversy on and off court is very loved and disliked in same time, and here at this board they status are same in general. Also some good players which was never so liked around (tennis) world during career despite great results (Henin, Mauresmo, Kuznetsova...) have similar situation at this forum. But only in Ana Ivanovic case we have such big disproportion about her status in real life and this forum - she is current "ultimate" Crowd Favorite, but here she is most hated/disliked player!

Well C6puja, what are your guesses about all the hate?

About Sharapova, she doesn't have as much hate for her now compared to 2008 because she has been long away from the tour.. people stop thinking about her.. forget the hate a bit.. not because of bad results. The bad results when the hate bandwagon is already on only helps it grow.

Horizon
Apr 10th, 2009, 01:19 AM
C6puja, maybe I'm naive, but I don't think there's any science to it.

Even I in the past year, I have come to admit that if you weren't a fan of Ana, and she was playing somebody else you liked, her on court antics would REALLY annoy you. Personally, I don't mind them, none of us do, but that's understandable - we have grown to love her as a tennis player, so we don't really have a problem with how she acts.

I see no other explanation than this, and it makes perfect sense.

She is liked generally by new crowds and people who don't know her because off the court she is a lovely person. She is a lovely person anyway, but on the court she doesn't show it and this is a tennis forum, nobody cares about personality off court. I think her AJDEs and whatnot don't annoy the breif tennis fan who sees her play once or twice a year because they haven't seen it that much, but lots of fan bases have a lot of reasons to be resentful of Ana, and when she beats them, or takes over a new title or becomes a bit more succesful, these fanbases resent her more.

In a way, reetard was right.

Sharapova fans are threatened by her status is the new "it" girl
Jelena fans are threatened by her GS, her H2H and her dominanace over her in a Serbian rivalry.
Elena fans are threatened by her GS, as are Vaidasova fans etc.

In that "popularity" thread (:rolleyes: ) 90% of the reasons for Ana's "dislike" was simply on court antics. I believe there's not much more too it, other than a bit if jealousy and resentment.

In my opinion, of course. I just ignore the hate now anyway.

spiritedenergy
Apr 10th, 2009, 01:40 AM
i didn't vote, and don't intend to vote (the opener is in my ignorelist anyways:lol:). I think it's a little bit of both, jealousy and her antics on court. But i don't really care anymore, GM is all just pathetic everyday more.:p

Davodus
Apr 10th, 2009, 03:38 AM
i didn't vote either....
ana hate has become something popular to do on GM, so more and more people have started to do it. These same people will not always do it, just while everyone else is :shrug: yes, her on court actions could annoy some (not me though :p) but she is such a nice, friendly person who is great to fans, so that hate wont last forever IMO, just while it is popular. And anyway, GM is not a representation of the greater public who watch tennis. Ana is probably the most popular female play in the world apart from this forum. If you go to a tournament, like I do for the AO and brisbane international, she has the biggest crowd watching her practice/wanting autographs compared to all female players. Jankovic has about 1 row of people on one fence watching, dementieva less, even serena and venus have less (though ana is more popular in australia than some places). So I don't really care what GM says :p

Nikkiri
Apr 10th, 2009, 03:41 AM
Have you seen some of the idiots that post on this forum? :lol: No big deal really. Keep on doing what you do Ana. :hearts:

Trixie
Apr 10th, 2009, 08:48 AM
Her on court antics? They are not dissimilar from a number of ATP and WTA players. I don't want to negate all posters feelings, but it seems to me that it justifies what some posters already felt. If gm is a proper representation of humanity ( not just pertaining to Ana) then God help us all. As to why she wins negative polls, she fits the bill of villian of certain established fanbases nicely.

SOA_MC
Apr 10th, 2009, 10:10 AM
If people are so wrapped up in cotton wool, they can't emotionally deal with fistpumps and Ajdes from a tennis player on TV, it's their problem not mine

Davodus
Apr 10th, 2009, 10:20 AM
If people are so wrapped up in cotton wool, they can't emotionally deal with fistpumps and Ajdes from a tennis player on TV, it's their problem not mine

agreed
and it's not like every player doesn't do it

jelenacg
Apr 10th, 2009, 10:56 AM
I didn`t vote
I think it`s very childish to hate/dislike some players bc of their antics on court
I do agree about this

Sharapova fans are threatened by her status is the new "it" girl
Jelena fans are threatened by her GS, her H2H and her dominanace over her in a Serbian rivalry.
Elena fans are threatened by her GS, as are Vaidasova fans etc.

I`m sure if you could calculate how many people from those fan bases voted for Ana you would see from where all this hate is coming
There for I`m not concerned about `Ana being the most hated` :lol::lol:

lilimi
Apr 10th, 2009, 11:32 AM
i totally agree with jelenacg
you forget some daniela fans who are still crying over her loss to Ana during last year AO.

Charlieflip
Apr 10th, 2009, 11:45 AM
There only is one possible explantion; jealousy.

Dexter
Apr 10th, 2009, 11:53 AM
I haven't voted there, so therefore this voting is rigged and not valid. :p
You can find as many explanations as you want, let it be jealousy, let it be idiocy, let it be squeaking shoes. One more retarded from the other. Who cares anyway about their opinions?

MM_1257
Apr 10th, 2009, 05:23 PM
I can imagine why they hate her - jealousy. Not just about tennis, her success of court (with the sponsors and promotional activities) is a factor, too.

The Daviator
Apr 11th, 2009, 08:31 PM
Look at the people who actually put her high on the disliked lists, pretty much every Sharapova fan :lol: Ana is a young, gorgeous 'it' girl, where Maria was before, it doesn't even matter that Maria has more GS/better career, they're just pissed cos Ana takes attention from her, also a lot of JJ fans dislike her, but those reasons I can understand since they are 'The Serbian Sisters' and there's natural competition between them.

Have you seen some of the idiots that post on this forum? :lol: No big deal really. Keep on doing what you do Ana. :hearts:

Exactly, that's the other point, there are loads of twats on this forum, let's face it, this forum should never be used as a barometer for what's popular or big in tennis, Ana is very popular and well-liked amongst the media and fans worldwide.

Marilyn Monheaux
Apr 11th, 2009, 08:38 PM
I'm an Ana, Maria & Jelena fan:D
But the way it seems there are not many:lol:

I guess it's because some Masha fans maybe fee threatened by Ana's off-court success:shrug: Maybe for them their can be only one "glamazon"...

And for JJ fans there maybe can be only 1 No.1 serb:shrug:

All this of course is only speculation from my part, since I definitely don't feel that way:lol:

hornblower
Apr 14th, 2009, 01:36 PM
Almost-perfect people tend to bring out the worse from mediocrities.

MaBaker
Apr 16th, 2009, 10:59 AM
It's because she is so nice off the court. She needs to be little bitchy both on and off the court (like Maria, that's why she doesn't look fake with all her fistpumping and yelling), that's a good combination and I bet she would have a lot more fans . But I still can't believe that she is the most hated :o I wanted JJ to win both lists :crying2:

BuTtErFrEnA
Apr 16th, 2009, 01:40 PM

I haven't voted there, so therefore this voting is rigged and not valid. :p
You can find as many explanations as you want, let it be jealousy, let it be idiocy, let it be squeaking shoes. One more retarded from the other. Who cares anyway about their opinions?

the people who are always so quick to vote for a player they dislike no matter how idiotic the thread is clearly just :weirdo:

but i find that the most retarded reason to give for not liking someone is because of squeaky shoes and fistpumps :weirdo: :weirdo: "when maria fistpumps it looks real, ana looks like she's trying to hard"....is that even possible?? or she used the squeaky shoes to cheat, yet she won her slam title without squeaking...

you just ignore it...cause the people in GM are just idiots who sit and hate on players all day long and will find a new reason to hate on ana all the time...

come rome, they will hate on her because she sleeps on the left hand side of the bed...

spiritedenergy
Apr 16th, 2009, 04:59 PM
the people who are always so quick to vote for a player they dislike no matter how idiotic the thread is clearly just :weirdo:

but i find that the most retarded reason to give for not liking someone is because of squeaky shoes and fistpumps :weirdo: :weirdo: "when maria fistpumps it looks real, ana looks like she's trying to hard"....is that even possible?? or she used the squeaky shoes to cheat, yet she won her slam title without squeaking...

you just ignore it...cause the people in GM are just idiots who sit and hate on players all day long and will find a new reason to hate on ana all the time...

come rome, they will hate on her because she sleeps on the left hand side of the bed...

so true Anarena, it doesn't make any sense but in the mind of a 5 year old person:o

Davodus
Apr 16th, 2009, 06:11 PM
anarena :worship: perfectly said

The Daviator
Apr 16th, 2009, 06:42 PM

Ugh, that annoys me so much :lol: When my fave does something it's cool, when someone else does it it's annoying :weirdo:

I also find it funny that people say her fistpumps are 'fake' or she copied them :lol: She's basically the Queen of fistpumps now, it's become her trademark :angel:

BuTtErFrEnA
Apr 16th, 2009, 07:32 PM
don't forget squeaky shoes...:angel:

i find it strange however that the ones who complain about how fake ana's fistpumps are, are some serena and maria fans...now THAT makes me go :tape: :tape: :tape: whenever i see that :lol: