PDA

View Full Version : Sublet advice

moby
Apr 9th, 2009, 10:07 PM
I'm looking for temp housing in downtown New Haven from mid July to late August. But the catch is that every sublet (at least those I can find on Craigslist) is for the entire summer, i.e June through August, and they're not entertaining my requests for a partial rent. For very good reason on their part, but unfortunately to my detriment.

At this point it seems like I've 2 options:
1) Sublet a studio/apartment for the entire 3 months, and pay twice what I need to pay.
2) Sleep on the streets.

As you can see, neither option is particularly attractive.

Does anyone have suggestions? I could take a risk and only start looking for sublets in June, I suppose... but then I may really end up with no apartment and be forced to go for (2). I've also considered sub-subletting, but I'm afraid I'll be caught with the apartment on my hands.

Helphelphelphelphelp! Really stressed out about this.

Apoleb
Apr 9th, 2009, 10:10 PM
- Find a friend that is willing to share a room, and share the price with him/her for the duration of the stay.

moby
Apr 9th, 2009, 10:14 PM
- Find a friend that is willing to share a room, and share the price with him/her for the duration of the stay.I know exactly one person who need the room for the complementary period, but most leases end early July, so he had no problem already securing a room (actually a 3 BR apartment with 2 of his friends).

I've also posted a "pre-emptive" sublet on Craigslist looking for someone who's willing to split a room for the other half of the summer. Got all of one reply; and from the looks of it, she's only considering, and so it will probably fall through too.

dementieva's fan
Apr 10th, 2009, 07:28 AM
Look for a really cheap hotel and get a room. Some of the cheaper ones may be a little shady but hey you are only gonna stay there for a month. Why are you going there for only a month if you don't mind me asking?

moby
Apr 10th, 2009, 03:48 PM
I've also posted a "pre-emptive" sublet on Craigslist looking for someone who's willing to split a room for the other half of the summer. Got all of one reply; and from the looks of it, she's only considering, and so it will probably fall through too.I got another reply for this, several days after my initial posting. I don't want to jinx anything, but this one is looking up.
A few kinks and complications to iron out, but this might be as good as it gets.
Look for a really cheap hotel and get a room. Some of the cheaper ones may be a little shady but hey you are only gonna stay there for a month. Why are you going there for only a month if you don't mind me asking?I'm hoping to work with my prof over the summer (for about 5 weeks) and the dorms don't reopen until late August, so I need to find my own place. Actually, off-campus housing is another option, considering I got shafted in the room draw - in that case, I'll just pick up the lease starting mid Jul and rent a place for an entire year. But on the other hand, it's less convenient and more dangerous.

The cheapest hotel in the downtown region is the Duncan, and it's $60 a day! Daily cost is about twice as much as the high end sublets.

Sally Struthers
Apr 10th, 2009, 05:40 PM
you could try one of those cheap extended stay motels that transient people and men who are kicked out of their homes in nasty divorces go to :lol: