PDA

View Full Version : "The Chain" - Fleetwood Mac

Volcana
Apr 9th, 2009, 02:17 PM
A song that always hit me where it hurts. Why? Who knows?

Through sheer dumb luck, happendd to turn on the TV this morning, and there was a video from an FMac re-union, with this song just starting. So I watched.

God-fucking-DAMN.

1) Mick Fleetwood is crazy! They ought to cast him in the lead of 'Sweeny Todd'

2) Lindsay Buckingham sings lead on this. Relevant only because of ...

3) Stevie Nicks spends 90% of this paticula video staring at Buckingham with a 'you rat-bastard motherfucker' expression on her face. HER opinion of who broke 'the chain' is not in question. It wasn't her.

4) Christine McVie. Her opinion of who broke the chain isn't in question in either. Looking at he face, it's hurts her to have to sing this song. Guilt sux. No surprise she misses subsequent re-unions.

5) John McVie. I'm a bass player. I love this song. But he never gave you anything of what was going on inside him, and he still doesn't.

Maybe I've just reached a place in my life where raw emotion does things to me. Who knows? If I can find the video on YouTube I'll post it. Til then, I just thank God none of my exes look at me the way Stevie Nicks looks at Lindsay Buckingham.

Barrie_Dude
Apr 9th, 2009, 03:21 PM
None of this is really new. The Chain is off the Rumours album and it was a very unsettled period in the band as Stevie and Lindsay were breaking up, John and Christine were breaking up as well. Much of the music on that album comes from them sniping at one another. I would suggest getting the album.
Mick Fleetwood is indeed crazy. In fact, as I recall, Jim Henson modeled the drummer, "Animal", in the Muppett band after him! :lol:

TheBoiledEgg
Apr 9th, 2009, 03:26 PM
Dtms1IppbPg :hearts:

got this from the F1 thread
BBC theme music :bounce:

Edinboro
Apr 9th, 2009, 03:32 PM
Overall Fleetwood Mac is my second favorite band only behind heart. Both bands I feel are very similar and Rumours is such an awesome album. I love it. :)

Marshmallow
Apr 9th, 2009, 04:44 PM
:lol:

I like this song and Fleetwood Mac in general. :rocker2:

But being a stevie nicks fan, I have to say it seems the majority of the songs she has done after Fleetwood have been about her feelings towards Lindsay. It's hard to say, because she had subsequent relationships, but from the music, it seems she bears a cross from that relationship, and much of her music is sort of therapy there after.

I was listening to Planets of the Universe this morning, and a portion of the lyrics are:

Now I know
Well, I was wrong
To live for a dream
If I had my life to live over
I would never dream, no
I still wish you gone
And I will live alone
Yes, I will live alone

You will never love again
The way you love me
You will never rule again
The way you ruled me
You will never change again
The way you're changing

Oh and from another stevie nicks fav. song of mine: "Doing the best I can/Escape from Berlin"

It was one for you...it was three for me
It was very nice...it was everything
So here it is...in little pieces...
I just played the part...I didn't win or lose
Maybe next time I'll think about how I'm feeling...
"Cause I'm doing the best that I can
And the whispered secrets...go on and on
No one says anything to anyone
You watch after her...and your word is law
She thought she was out there...but nobody saw
I didn't win or lose...I just threw the cards
But I paid a price for it...

And it's alright, baby...I'm doing the best that I can
And I'm trying hard to change...I'm doing it the best that I can
Well because fate causes fortune and fortune takes it away
Well it's alright, baby...I'm doing the best that I can

I was silent...I was locked away
But I covered my tears...
Silent all day
It's out of my hands here

In my distress...well I wanted someone to blame me
In my devastation...I wanted so to change
In my way...disaster was the only thing that I could depend on...

But it's alright, baby...I'm doing the best that I can
Yes it's alright, baby...I'm doing the best that I can
Because fate causes fortune and fortune takes it away
And then fortune causes nightmares...nightmares that make you crazy
It's alright, baby...I'm doing the best that I can
It's alright, baby...I'm doing the best that I can
Oh he says, "Well I hear you're doing fine and you're doing the
best that you can."
Well he says, "Oh, I hear you're doing fine and you're doing the
best that you can."

Ooh she says, "It's alright, baby...I'm doing the best that I can."
Yes it's alright, baby...I'm doing the best that I can
Oh and he says, "I hear you're doing fine and you're doing it the
best that you can."
Oh and he says, "Ooh I hear she's doing fine and she's doing it
the best that she can."
Oh and I paid a price for it...
I'm doing the best that I can...

I could be totally off, and she could be dealing with different circumstances and so on, but I get the feeling this and SEVERAL other of her songs have been about Lindsay and dealing with their break-up. I'm really interested in seeing the video, to see this facial expression myself, just to see what she's feeling.

But all that said, I saw an interview with both, at some sort of reunion, and Lindsay immediately started talking about how hard it was to see Stevie, as though he has a rush of emotion from their relationship. He was almost in tears. So I think there's a mutual things pain between them. OoH Gosh this is pretty interesting, there's so much more to this.

Best.Thread.Ever I'm gripped already.

Barrie_Dude
Apr 9th, 2009, 04:48 PM
:lol:

I like this song and Fleetwood Mac in general. :rocker2:

But being a stevie nicks fan, I have to say it seems the majority of the songs she has done after Fleetwood have been about her feelings towards Lindsay. It's hard to say, because she had subsequent relationships, but from the music, it seems she bears a cross from that relationship, and much of her music is sort of therapy there after.

I was listening to Planets of the Universe this morning, and a portion of the lyrics are:

Oh and from another stevie nicks fav. song of mine: "Doing the best I can/Escape from Berlin"

I could be totally off, and she could be dealing with different circumstances and so on, but I get the feeling this and SEVERAL other of her songs have been about Lindsay and dealing with their break-up. I'm really interested in seeing the video, to see this facial expression myself, just to see what she's feeling.

But all that said, I saw an interview with both, at some sort of reunion, and Lindsay immediately started talking about how hard it was to see Stevie, as though he has a rush of emotion from their relationship. He was almost in tears. So I think there's a mutual things pain between them. OoH Gosh this is pretty interesting, there's so much more to this.

Best.Thread.Ever I'm gripped already.
Actually, you are spot on about Stevie........ And she is great!

Barrie_Dude
Apr 9th, 2009, 04:49 PM
I think that Stevie and Lindsay never quite got over each other..... Have you seen the Video from "The Dance"? Did you see the two of them doing "Silver Spring"? It is very obvious there.

Marshmallow
Apr 9th, 2009, 04:51 PM
Just for further illustration, the songs I mentioned

Doing the best I can/Escape from Berlin:
XGJzGYm-w7s or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGJzGYm-w7s

Planets of the universe:
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=28568729 [fanmade vid]

Marshmallow
Apr 9th, 2009, 04:56 PM
I think that Stevie and Lindsay never quite got over each other..... Have you seen the Video from "The Dance"? Did you see the two of them doing "Silver Spring"? It is very obvious there.

No, haven't seen either but might when I get some more time later. But just thinking about Silver spring I just thought of the lryics:

Ill begin not to love you
Turn around, see me runnin
Ill say I loved you years ago
Tell myself you never loved me, no
And did you say she was pretty
And did you say that she loves you
Baby, I dont wanna know
Oh, no
And can you tell me was it worth it
Really, I dont wanna know

Time casts a spell on you, but you wont forget me
I know I could have loved you, but you would not let me
Ill follow you down til the sound of my voice will haunt you (on 3rd time
Stevie oversings, was I such a fool?
Youll never get away from the sound of the woman that loves you
(3x)

I really need to see these looks :lol:

Barrie_Dude
Apr 9th, 2009, 04:58 PM
No, haven't seen either but might when I get some more time later. But just thinking about Silver spring I just thought of the lryics:

I really need to see these looks :lol:
Like I say, it is very obvious!;)

Marshmallow
Apr 9th, 2009, 04:59 PM
Actually, you are spot on about Stevie........ And she is great!

^.^

And I agree, she's a music legend. :rocker2:

Barrie_Dude
Apr 9th, 2009, 05:01 PM
^.^

And I agree, she's a music legend. :rocker2:
:worship::worship::worship:

Marshmallow
Apr 9th, 2009, 06:04 PM
None of this is really new. The Chain is off the Rumours album and it was a very unsettled period in the band as Stevie and Lindsay were breaking up, John and Christine were breaking up as well. Much of the music on that album comes from them sniping at one another. I would suggest getting the album.
Mick Fleetwood is indeed crazy. In fact, as I recall, Jim Henson modeled the drummer, "Animal", in the Muppett band after him! :lol:

I feel so dumb, I got rumours the other week (though I'd heard the tracks before) and it never occurred to me all or most of the songs are themed around breaking up. I'm listening to songbird right now and am just like :smash:. But all are beautiful songs, beautifully written. Just beautiful poetic story telling.

Here's a performance of Silver springs: http://vodpod.com/watch/1432948-fleetwood-mac-silver-springs-live

If you hadn't have made it clear, I'd have just thought 'she really got into it'. But I felt a little uncomfortable seeing it, she seeks eye contact at every opportunity or looks at him, just to maybe get that feeling place back, and then really lets him have it towards the end. The song is clearly about HIM. I thought he was avoiding eye contact at first.

But looking at some other live performances, that seems to be their routine for the song, she really feels the songs when she looks at him, and I guess he doesn't mind.

I feel so enlightened. Can't thank you both enough :lol:

*JR*
Apr 9th, 2009, 07:37 PM
Interesting story behind Silver Spring. This beautiful ballad was written in the 70's and supposed 2B on Rumours, but somehow cut. :confused: So it sat on the shelf for almost 20 years. (They should have dropped the way ovarated Dreams from that album instead, IMO.)

BTW, I adapted a Mac chorus for the WTA's ex-top Mac fan when she was playing, Jennifer Hopkins (now Mrs. Taylor Dent unless they split). From Second Hand News, related to her IMO mediocre coach Ray Ruffels and his self-bestowed nickname (see *)

Times go bad
Boomer Ruff*
I can't win a match on the short grass
Tryin' to play your stuff :o

Oh, and about the thread title: naturally The Chain was a perfect name for the eventual boxed set of almost everything they ever recorded. :)

Barrie_Dude
Apr 9th, 2009, 08:11 PM
I feel so dumb, I got rumours the other week (though I'd heard the tracks before) and it never occurred to me all or most of the songs are themed around breaking up. I'm listening to songbird right now and am just like :smash:. But all are beautiful songs, beautifully written. Just beautiful poetic story telling.

Here's a performance of Silver springs: http://vodpod.com/watch/1432948-fleetwood-mac-silver-springs-live

If you hadn't have made it clear, I'd have just thought 'she really got into it'. But I felt a little uncomfortable seeing it, she seeks eye contact at every opportunity or looks at him, just to maybe get that feeling place back, and then really lets him have it towards the end. The song is clearly about HIM. I thought he was avoiding eye contact at first.

But looking at some other live performances, that seems to be their routine for the song, she really feels the songs when she looks at him, and I guess he doesn't mind.

I feel so enlightened. Can't thank you both enough :lol:Its a great song. And thank you!

kiwifan
Apr 10th, 2009, 03:58 AM
Back in the Bella Donna days, I was madly madly in love with Stevie Nicks...

...she replaced Debbie Harry for a couple of years (but only for a couple of years).

PS. "Monday Morning" should have been a huge hit, instead of just an FM "classic rock regular".

Richie77
Apr 10th, 2009, 05:59 AM

Oh no, they never got over each other. But at the same time, I think they also realized that even if they tried to get back together, it would likely have not worked out.

In fact, Rolling Stone ran an article about Fleetwood Mac when "The Dance" came out, and at one point, the writer hinted to Lindsey about him and Stevie getting back together. Lindsey said something like "Well, maybe, you know if everything was right..."

Stevie's response? In a nutshell:

"HELL. NO."

johnoo
Apr 10th, 2009, 08:57 AM
Theres a Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks album before they joined Fleetwood Mac,some of you may not have listened too it,its from 73.

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/16/nickbucks.jpg

01 - Crying In The Night
02 - Stephanie
03 - Without A Leg To Stand On
04 - Crystal
05 - Long Distance Winner
06 - Don't Let Me Down Again
07 - Django
08 - Races Are Run
09 - Lola (My Love)
10 - Frozen Love
11 - Crying In The Night (Single Version)

http://rapidshare.com/files/11436558/BN73BN320.rar
pass: warezbb

Barrie_Dude
Apr 10th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Oh no, they never got over each other. But at the same time, I think they also realized that even if they tried to get back together, it would likely have not worked out.

In fact, Rolling Stone ran an article about Fleetwood Mac when "The Dance" came out, and at one point, the writer hinted to Lindsey about him and Stevie getting back together. Lindsey said something like "Well, maybe, you know if everything was right..."

Stevie's response? In a nutshell:

"HELL. NO."
:hug: Richie! Good to see you man!
Not so sure that Stevie and Lindsay were ever so far apart that they have to move too far to get back together. It seems that the intervening relationships have been doomed because of it. They still get together professionally and work so well together.........

Barrie_Dude
Apr 10th, 2009, 05:14 PM
:hearts:STEVIE :hearts:
:worship::worship::worship::worship:

Barrie_Dude
Apr 10th, 2009, 05:16 PM
Interesting story behind Silver Spring. This beautiful ballad was written in the 70's and supposed 2B on Rumours, but somehow cut. :confused: So it sat on the shelf for almost 20 years. (They should have dropped the way ovarated Dreams from that album instead, IMO.)

BTW, I adapted a Mac chorus for the WTA's ex-top Mac fan when she was playing, Jennifer Hopkins (now Mrs. Taylor Dent unless they split). From Second Hand News, related to her IMO mediocre coach Ray Ruffels and his self-bestowed nickname (see *)

Times go bad
Boomer Ruff*
I can't win a match on the short grass
Tryin' to play your stuff :o

Oh, and about the thread title: naturally The Chain was a perfect name for the eventual boxed set of almost everything they ever recorded. :)The Chain is a perfect name

sandv1
Apr 11th, 2009, 10:01 AM
(singing to the tune of "Dreams")
Tennis players only love you (the fans) when they're playin'
...DTL winners will come, and they will go.
When your forehand is working, you will know!
You will know!
Oh whoa whoa you will know.

:p

Barrie_Dude
Apr 11th, 2009, 06:54 PM
Good album. I also like Tango in the Night

*JR*
Apr 11th, 2009, 07:24 PM
Lindsey's minor hit Blue Letter on the album just called Fleetwood Mac, the first album after he and Stevie joined the group.

w_A0gVn9IY8

This was following the departure from FM of (trivia Q, no lookups) ________________ , who later had one pretty big hit single as a soloist, called _________________. :scratch:

Barrie_Dude
Apr 12th, 2009, 04:36 PM
Oooooooooooooooooo! So this is what you were talking about. I was worried that you had been hitting the bottle a bit too hard when I read your PM! :lol:

*JR*
Apr 12th, 2009, 07:38 PM
Trivia Q answer. (Nice when a Youtube superimposes the lyrics ova the vid too)

5Po29UqHURs

Barrie_Dude
Apr 13th, 2009, 04:21 PM
:scratch:

*JR*
Apr 14th, 2009, 03:08 PM
:scratch:
What, you didn't know that Mick Fleetwood started the group with a different lineup and style in the late 60's? From Bob's own website:

http://www.bobwelch.com/m005.htm

BTW, his big hit was on a Mac album in '72 but attracted little airplay until he released it himself 5 years later, after he left the group.

Barrie_Dude
Apr 14th, 2009, 04:49 PM
Yeah, I knew that. It's just that you are so awfully random and I am trying to keep up with you and figure where you are going.