PDA

View Full Version : The Barcelona tournament is messing up Family Circle's player field!

tennisloverblake
Apr 8th, 2009, 05:47 PM
All the Italians, Spaniards, and Asians are going to Spain. And why haven't Jankovic and Ivanovic signed up?

partbrit
Apr 11th, 2009, 02:00 AM
I'm pretty upset about this. There are no Italians, no Spaniards. Peng and Morita and Mirza are here. I hate it that Anabel and Flavia aren't here. Anabel is practically a fixture at the Family Circle Cup, though Flavia skipped it last year, too. And it's really strange not having JJ here. If this is a trend, it's A very bad one, and one that will require some attention. FCC is a premiere tournament with a rich history of advocating for women's tennis.

Safina isn't here, either, and she usually comes to Charleston. Srebotnik, another FCC fixture, is still out with the injury. Radwanska and Szavay didn't return, either. There are some great players here--Vera, Elena, Venus, C-Woz, Patty, Domi, Marion, etc.--but so many are missing because of Barcelona!

adner
Apr 11th, 2009, 06:06 PM
It's not only because of Barcelona, the tournament's tier has been lowered too.

tennisloverblake
Apr 11th, 2009, 06:15 PM
That's true. By $300,000.

FORZA SARITA
Apr 11th, 2009, 07:36 PM
you really expected Sucketta to play here?:spit:

amnorge
Apr 11th, 2009, 08:09 PM
I think a lot of players would rather play on red clay. no disrespect to to 2 week green clay season, but red clay is the real clay, green clays more like a hard court (or at least somewhere in between).

with rome, madrid and roland garros coming up, many would rather prepare for those than play 1 tournament on a surfice they won't see for another 12 months. having said that there are still many more top players playing charleston, probably due to the history of the event. i would prefer the event to be changed to red clay anyway.

lover_of_myskina
Apr 12th, 2009, 04:09 PM
I totally agree with amnorge ! :devil: American Clay is not true clay !
You can see that players who like true clay are in Barcelona (Schiavone, Pennetta, Errani, Suarez Navarro, Medina, Vinci, Cornet...)
And last year... there was Amelia Island (Tier II, $600 000) + Charleston ! :rolleyes:
But this year, Ponte Vedra Beach isn't a big tournament... So the players prefer to come back to Europe after Miami !
(there is the same problem for the Open GDF Suez in Paris in February... Now there isn't anymore Anvers, and players have no reason to travel to Europe only for one tournament between australian season and Dubai... :confused:)

And now with Marbella, I think european players will play very ofen "marbella + Barcelona" in the future...
I think they are happy to come back to home in Europe :lol:
Welcome back at home :worship: