PDA

View Full Version : HBO's Rome was an amazing, amazing TV series

Joana
Apr 7th, 2009, 01:30 AM
It's recently finished showing here and I seriously wanted to cry when it had to end. Octavian's triumph is one of the greatest scenes in history of TV shows.

It figures the ratings sucked and they only made it through two seasons. :rolleyes:

Mattographer
Apr 7th, 2009, 02:56 AM
Actually, it's nothing to do with the ratings. HBO cancelled the show because of costs.

I loved Rome and wish it wasn't cancelled either.

kiwifan
Apr 7th, 2009, 04:26 AM
Wasn't ratings, it cost too much to produce.

Loved it!!! :cool:

Scotso
Apr 7th, 2009, 08:31 AM
Indeed. Best show ever.

The writing and acting were both stellar.

Joana
Apr 7th, 2009, 12:32 PM
I know the costs were very big - you can clearly see why! I just thought I had read somewhere that ratings weren't very good.

I really wish they had filmed 3 seasons like planned, with season 2 depicting events from Ceasar's murder until the battle of Philippi and then season 3 until Octavian's triumph. That would have been just fantastic, although it was great this way as well.

Oneofakind0490
Apr 7th, 2009, 01:06 PM
Great show. I watched it in school last year. I want to buy the dvd but they are so expensive. Atia was my fav and I loved how she was so bitchy at the end:lol:

HippityHop
Apr 7th, 2009, 01:21 PM
I loved all the British accents of the Romans.

I particularly like Pullo.

Blu€
Apr 7th, 2009, 01:57 PM
Servilia killing herself and cursing Atia :worship::lol:

Joana
Apr 7th, 2009, 02:33 PM

Atia of the Julii, I call for justice!

It was such a memorable scene. Actually, no matter how many death scenes there were on the show (and there were plenty!), they never seemed pathetic or over the top. That's perhaps the greatest quality of the show.
Niobe's death was also really moving.

Barrie_Dude
Apr 7th, 2009, 04:07 PM
It's recently finished showing here and I seriously wanted to cry when it had to end. Octavian's triumph is one of the greatest scenes in history of TV shows.

It figures the ratings sucked and they only made it through two seasons. :rolleyes:
Very expenisve to produce. But it was a great one

Scotso
Apr 7th, 2009, 05:30 PM
I know the costs were very big - you can clearly see why! I just thought I had read somewhere that ratings weren't very good.

Individual show ratings don't really matter on the negative side for a channel like HBO. They don't make their money from advertisements.

Good ratings would probably help attract attention and subscribers, though.

brickhousesupporter
Apr 7th, 2009, 07:51 PM
Atia to Livia
I know what you are thinking....one day you will destroy me......far better women than you have tried.....go and looke for them now.

That was my favorite scene from the entire series.

-ciEMMZ_t58

Mattographer
Apr 8th, 2009, 04:33 AM

I really wish they had filmed 3 seasons like planned, with season 2 depicting events from Ceasar's murder until the battle of Philippi and then season 3 until Octavian's triumph. That would have been just fantastic, although it was great this way as well.
I read somewhere that they want five or six seasons but with costs so they speed up all period except the last one in second season :( HBO should know better because of what happened with Deadwood.
This is the first thing come to my mind when I'm thinking of this show :lol:

~{X}~
Apr 8th, 2009, 06:41 PM
I absolutely loved the show, because I love Roman history, though the show wasn't ALWAYS accurate, who cares, it was an amazing display! I too wish it would of gone on longer, the writer had it planned out for 4 seasons, but they told him last minute that it would only be 2 seasons.

The writer also said that HBO has been talking about making a movie of ROME, and the writer would love to do it, so who knows maybe a movie will come out sometime down the road.

KournikovaFan91
Apr 8th, 2009, 07:15 PM
I loved it, I can't believe they axed it, I know it was very expensive, but that trash show the Tudors keeps going which is boring and very historically inacurate.

There were a ton of Irish actors in that Rome series too :) :)

Apparently Servilla actually lived longer than most of the characters in the series (so I heard) :lol: but that was a great scene.

Joana
Apr 8th, 2009, 07:21 PM
There were a ton of Irish actors in that Rome series too :) :)

Kerry Condon :worship: She was very good and I can't believe how her voice actually sounds like! It was completely different on the show. Luckily. :p

Yeah, the show wasn't really that historically accurate, the relationships between characters were in particular highly fictional but it worked out splendidly well. Atia would be a pretty boring character if they had sticked to the little historical details we know of her, for example.
The only storyline I didn't care for was Caesarion staying alive and being Pullo's son. I thought it was a bit silly and I was somewhat disappointed that it was the feelgood moment between the two of them that ended the series instead of the dramatic and emotional triumph scene that preceded it.

And yeah, Servilia in reality did outlive Atia who didn't live nearly long enough to see her son ascend to throne like in the show. They didn't hate each other either, from what we know, but their fictional rivalry sure added so much spice to the show.

Scotso
Apr 10th, 2009, 01:25 AM
Servilla was my favorite character on the show. :hearts: The actress that played her was amazing. She was completely convincing as a Roman matriarch.

Mattographer
Apr 10th, 2009, 01:50 AM
Servilla was also my favourite character :yeah: Maybe I'm biased because I like Lindsay Duncan from Under the Tuscan Sun ;) She was amazing in the movie as well.

Joana
Apr 10th, 2009, 01:56 AM
Well, I hated Servilia. :p I had sympathy for her in the beginning but she turned into a psycho bitch as it went on - and Duncan did portray her slide into madness magnificently.

Mattographer
Apr 10th, 2009, 02:20 AM
If it wasn't HBO tell them to speed up, this would have been the best feud ever in TV history :p