PDA

View Full Version : Working Holiday Visas in Australia - Has Anybody Done This?

Crazy Canuck
Apr 6th, 2009, 02:50 PM
I'm bouncing around some ideas as to what to do immediately after finishing my contract in Korea. I probably won't do this, but it's worth examining. I've seen the information online, so I'm not asking for links. Google and I are tight. I'm wondering if anybody has done this or knows somebody who has, and could share some of their experiences. What kind of work did you get? How was the work? What kind of money can you make? How is living in Australia? That kind of stuff. Should anybody ever have the (unlikely) overwhelming desire to run off to Korea, I'm happy to return the favor.

Thanks!

Philbo
Apr 6th, 2009, 04:28 PM
Maybe not so relevant but I applied and got the working holiday visa to go to canada when i was 25. Then had to get wisdom teeth out and got involved in a relationship so I wasted my opportunity!!

But Ive worked with people back in Oz who were there on the work holiday visa. The type of work you get is very varied and largely depends on the work experience you already have.. I think the rule USED to be a few years ago that you couldnt work for the same employer for longer than 3 months. You should check whether this is still the case, it may have changed.

So Ive worked in Customer Service with canadians/brits who were there on a work holiday in my early 20's. You see them in bars a lot pulling drinks etc. But its hard to say what kind of work you could get without knowing what your work experience thus far has been.

I do know that its tough to find a job in australia right now.. like most places really..

Oh and in terms of living in Oz, its absolutely brilliant. But make sure you go to Sydney. Melbourne sucks. ;)

Crazy Canuck
Apr 6th, 2009, 04:39 PM
Eh, my work experience might not be all that useful for this. I have taught English in South Korea for the last year and a half, and prior to that I dabbled in varous things. Office work, customer service, blah. I can speak minimal French and Korean, though I don't imagine those will be terribly useful :p

Crazy Canuck
Apr 6th, 2009, 04:40 PM
What's wrong with Melbourne?

kwilliams
Apr 6th, 2009, 05:00 PM
I just extended my stay in Korea for another 6 months! I think Korean may have some uses in Australia...little but some.

My sister spent over a year working in Australia. She didn't like Perth because it was too cold, she hates the cold. Melbourne was too cold for her but more fun at least. She had the best time in Sydney because I think her job and housing were good and she loved the weather and the atmosphere but she did have quite a hard time getting a job (in fact my dad arranged a job for her with people he did business with! It was funny that she was in Australia but needed my dad's help to get a job). Her friends also had a tough time getting work in Sydney and it's expensive enough there, so you can't wait around. She also lived in Cairns for a long time and quite liked it but said it wasn't exactly the most sophisticated place she'd ever been too...and that's putting it very nicely!

Quite a few friends have done it as well and they all really enjoyed their time there!

Crazy Canuck
Apr 7th, 2009, 07:41 AM
Glad to hear that you're liking Korea. I like it, but working in hagwons is pretty dead end, so I'm done after this contract. I might extend it a few months for more cash, but that's it. I'm going to try to get into school for Fall '10, I think. If that fails, maybe off to Oman. Australia would must be a temporary stop over.

mandy7
Apr 7th, 2009, 08:02 AM
I'm bouncing around some ideas as to what to do immediately after finishing my contract in Korea. I probably won't do this, but it's worth examining. I've seen the information online, so I'm not asking for links. Google and I are tight. I'm wondering if anybody has done this or knows somebody who has, and could share some of their experiences. What kind of work did you get? How was the work? What kind of money can you make? How is living in Australia? That kind of stuff. Should anybody ever have the (unlikely) overwhelming desire to run off to Korea, I'm happy to return the favor.

Thanks!
I did it. It was the best thing i ever did.
Started out in Sydney, traveled up the coast all the way to Cairns, then went to Darwin, Uluru, to Broome (north west), down to Perth, train to Adelaide, then a flight to Melbourne and went to the Oz Open before going home. This all took me half a year.

Most people were really nice, i spent most of my time in Queensland, and within Queensland i spent most time in Brisbane. Which is a lovely city. Great night life too. Ask my liver for details :p.

Jobs i did along the way.
Handed out flyers for a travel agency that specializes in backpacker trips. After a while ended up in their office, which was also a i-net cafe.
Sold fruit for a week, in front of the QUT campus. :lol:
Picked eggplant, I FUCKING HATED IT! and when in a supermarket, i still freak out when i see an eggplant.
Worked at a banana farm, which was hard work, especially in 38 degree weather. But it was fun anyhow. But, don't ever do that if small snakes, bats, mice, frogs and toads freak you out :p.
And i drove cars from one town to the next (100km further) and back.

i loved doing those jobs, cause i didn't have to think much, which is a change from what i do in 'real life'. cause i'm an accountant.

The people were all mega nice to me. Only one Abo wanted to kill me. :lol:

venus_rulez
Apr 7th, 2009, 09:44 AM
Hey, I'm an American who came over on a working holiday visa (or something very similar) and I was since sponsored by a company and work in recruitment now. Generally you can only work for one employer for 6 months before you have to move on. I think most agencies are a little reluctant to take travelers because obviously there's no possibility of a temp to perm fee, however, if you have a lot of experience in a given field (administration or say university work) it's generally not that difficult to find work. It's just about being flexible really. Other travelers I've known or heard of go to a lot of bars and pubs and get jobs that way. Again it just tends to depend on how flexible you're willing to be and your experience.

Dahveed
Apr 7th, 2009, 08:35 PM
Been in Melbourne (which is better than Sydney btw) in 2007 for the whole year.

Started with the AO then did some travelling (I recommend the West, best times I had all year were spent there!! WA is fantastic). Perth, Darwin, Adelaide, Sydney, Gold Coast..

Getting a job was tough in Melbourne. They mostly had retail jobs and they would always offer the jobs to students. Mentioning the Holiday Visa was not an advantage that's for sure! Speaking another language, totally useless!

Anyway I somehow managed to get a job as a customer service assistant in a computer shop. It was okay but stayed only 3 months cos I couldn't be bothered anymore.

Good thing there is they never ever checked my passport or visa. Many employers have no idea about the Working Holiday Visa and its restrictions.

Anyway I'd recommend to anyone to go spend some time in Australia. I had the time of my life, my friends actually stayed there and I hope to go visit someday!

Alizé Molik
Apr 8th, 2009, 01:20 AM

nothing, sometimes people from sydney try and put melbourne down because its better :rolleyes:

one thing I would tell you is, especially if you're on your own, its hard to find rental properties that aren't really expensive or really gross in any of the major cities..and unless you like feeling like you've stepped back in time 20 years, i'd suggest only going to melbourne or sydney.

mandy7
Apr 8th, 2009, 07:16 AM
and unless you like feeling like you've stepped back in time 20 years, i'd suggest only going to melbourne or sydney.
melbourne and sydney are nice, but they're just big cities.
staying in the big cities is a dumb idea, you can do that anywhere.
australia is a beautiful country, and when you're there as a tourist, you obviously should travel around.

Golovinjured.
Apr 8th, 2009, 11:16 AM
Why not Brisbane?

If you come you MUST come to the Whitsundays, I'll show you around. It's great here. Airlie Beach is like a more cruisy Sunshine Coast. Great Barrier Reef, AMAZING BEACHES EVERYWHERE. Should also go explore the rainforests aswell. I <3 AUS. :hearts:

lympyisthebest
Apr 8th, 2009, 12:24 PM
Been in Melbourne (which is better than Sydney btw) in 2007 for the whole year.

Started with the AO then did some travelling (I recommend the West, best times I had all year were spent there!! WA is fantastic). Perth, Darwin, Adelaide, Sydney, Gold Coast..

Getting a job was tough in Melbourne. They mostly had retail jobs and they would always offer the jobs to students. Mentioning the Holiday Visa was not an advantage that's for sure! Speaking another language, totally useless!

Anyway I somehow managed to get a job as a customer service assistant in a computer shop. It was okay but stayed only 3 months cos I couldn't be bothered anymore.

Good thing there is they never ever checked my passport or visa. Many employers have no idea about the Working Holiday Visa and its restrictions.

Anyway I'd recommend to anyone to go spend some time in Australia. I had the time of my life, my friends actually stayed there and I hope to go visit someday!

Not true, speaking another language in retail if extremely advantageous, especially if it is an Asian language, as Australia has a huge Asian population who speak very little or no English.

I got many jobs in retail purely because of the fact i spoke 2 Asian languages.

Anyway, I know a lot of people who are on working visas getting jobs easier in cafes and restaurants as waiters. Not sure if that is the job you would want, as you have a profession...

Alizé Molik
Apr 8th, 2009, 01:04 PM
melbourne and sydney are nice, but they're just big cities.
staying in the big cities is a dumb idea, you can do that anywhere.
australia is a beautiful country, and when you're there as a tourist, you obviously should travel around.

obviously he will travel around, i was talking about living which i guess is what he wanted to discuss?

mandy7
Apr 8th, 2009, 01:06 PM
Why not Brisbane?

If you come you MUST come to the Whitsundays, I'll show you around. It's great here. Airlie Beach is like a more cruisy Sunshine Coast. Great Barrier Reef, AMAZING BEACHES EVERYWHERE. Should also go explore the rainforests aswell. I <3 AUS. :hearts:
i 2nd this :p

bad_angel_109
Apr 8th, 2009, 01:34 PM
apparently it costs a fair bit to apply, thats just what i've heard. the new laws came in a few mpnths ago? i cant remember, but its all legal stuff. but they're trying to make it "easier" to apply for visa-work here

raffles
Apr 8th, 2009, 01:41 PM
This was always something I wanted to do but unfortuntly it was never the right time and now I'm too old. Just need them to put up the age limit by a few years.

azza
Apr 9th, 2009, 04:28 AM

oh could go on for days just go to Sydney k?

Crazy Canuck
Apr 9th, 2009, 04:57 AM
I might just visit for a month instead of doing the working VISA thing. Also, I have a friend in Melbourne, so I'll at least be spending some time there if I go. We'll see. Either way, thanks for all the input! When I get some time after work tonight I'll probably ask some more questions based on the comments.

bad_angel_109
Apr 9th, 2009, 07:56 AM
oh could go on for days just go to Sydney k?Go on then. no one's gonna stop u. there's absolutely nothing wrong with melbourne EXCEPT for the public transport system. dont get me started on that. anyway imo sydney has nothing over melbourne, take away the national landmarks and .... as i was saying take away the landmarks (bridge and opera house) and u've got any other city with heaps of ppl living there.

now melbourne IS the sporting capital of the country (no arguments there) [u've got the AO and footy and grand prix and whatever else happens in victoria. i only care about the footy and the tennis lol), u've got ther best night clubs, altho i hate the public transport system here, its cheaper and 'more efficient' than sydney. not to mention melbourne is beautiful :)

mandy7
Apr 9th, 2009, 08:25 AM
As someone who does not live in Melbourne or Sydney, i have to say.
They're equaly lovely.
They both have great qualities.

bad_angel_109
Apr 9th, 2009, 08:27 AM
im sure if ur a tourist and its the first time u've ever been to australia and u decide to take a tour (in both sydney and melbourne) u'll say they're both beautiful. but i still reckon melbourne's better than sydney, hands down. but of course, u know, im a little biased since i live in melbourne :p

gentenaire
Apr 9th, 2009, 08:27 AM
An ex-colleague worked in Australia for a year, I think it was on a working holiday visa. She worked for several architecture firms.
My sister emigrated to Australia. She got her first job interview on the day she put her CV out. And she got the job. So finding a job turned out to be extremely easy for her. My brother now lives in Sydney as well and he started his own consultancy firm. He already had work lined up before he'd even moved to Sydney. So overall, it's been very easy for my siblings.
My brother-in-law keeps telling me I should come over as well, that they need people with my degree in Oz. But I like my current work, my current life so for now I'm not moving.

I'll be visiting them again for Christmas and New Years and am planning a little excursion before Christmas, possibly to Whitsunday Islands as that's an area of Australia I've never been. What's the best way to visit when you're traveling alone?

mandy7
Apr 9th, 2009, 08:33 AM
im sure if ur a tourist and its the first time u've ever been to australia and u decide to take a tour (in both sydney and melbourne) u'll say they're both beautiful. but i still reckon melbourne's better than sydney, hands down. but of course, u know, im a little biased since i live in melbourne :p
my fave city was Brisbane :p