PDA

View Full Version : Italy quake kills at least 289, devastates historic towns

Lin Lin
Apr 6th, 2009, 09:40 AM
http://english.aljazeera.net/mritems/Images/2009/4/6/2009467222627734_2.jpg

At least 27 people, including several children, have been killed after a strong earthquake destroyed thousands of buildings in central Italy, police say.

Silvio Berlusconi, the Italian prime minister, declared a state of emergency after the magnitude 6.3 quake struck near the city of L'Aquila, in the mountainous Abruzzo region east of Rome, early on Monday morning.

"Thousands of people [could be left] homeless and thousands of buildings collapsed or damaged," Agostino Miozzo, an official at the civil protection ministry, said.

Local news agencies reported that people were feared trapped under the rubble and rescue services have been deployed to the area.

Guido Bertolaso, head of Italy's public safety department, said there would be "numerous victims, many injured and so many collapsed homes," the ANSA news agency reported.

"It's an event that will mobilise the nation for many weeks."

Part of a university residence and a church tower were among the buildings that had collapsed in L'Aquila, officials said.

Television footage showed rubble blocking streets in the town and burying several parked cars.

Missing

Massimo Cialente, the mayor of L'Aquila, told Sky Italia television that two people were reported dead in the small town of Fossa. He said that eight others were missing in the town of San Demetrio dei Vestini.

He said that about 100,000 people had left their homes and many buildings in the L'Aquila's historic centre were damaged.

"The civil defence department is setting up some sort of tent town where they will be housed until the situation with their homes is made clearer," Sabina Castelfranco, a Rome-based journalist, told Al Jazeera.

"People are walking around draped in blankets, they have been up all night."

Antonio D'Ostilio, one resident of L'Aquila, said: "We left as soon as we felt the first tremors.

"We woke up all of a sudden and we immediately ran downstairs in our pyjamas."

Electricity supplies to about 15,000 people were cut, while part of the highway linking L'Aquila to Rome was closed, ANSA news agency reported.

According to the US Geological Survey, the epicentre of the earthquake was about 95km northeast of Rome, at a depth of about 10km.

It struck 3:32am (01:32 GMT) when many people were asleep.

Fault lines

The earthquake was the latest and strongest in a series that have shaken the area since Sunday.

It came just hours after a magnitude 4.6 tremor shook Italy's north-central region, with no reports of damage.

Italy is criss-crossed by two fault lines, with about 20 million people at risk from earthquakes.

In October 2002, 30 people, including 27 pupils and a teacher, were crushed under a school in the tiny village of San Giuliano di Puglia during an earthquake.

Twenty-two years earlier, on November 23, 1980, a violent quake struck the southern region of Irpiona near Naples, killing 2,570, injuring 8,850 and displacing 30,000.

Lin Lin
Apr 6th, 2009, 09:40 AM
http://english.aljazeera.net/news/europe/2009/04/2009462312804620.html

:sad:

Ciarán
Apr 6th, 2009, 11:37 AM
OMG :scared:

Lin Lin
Apr 6th, 2009, 11:39 AM
At least 40 people confirmed dead now,including 7 school children:sad::scared:

Ciarán
Apr 6th, 2009, 11:46 AM
:tears:

Calliope.
Apr 6th, 2009, 12:01 PM
:sad::sad::sad:
I'm watching tv and it's a disaster :sad:

FORZA SARITA
Apr 6th, 2009, 01:00 PM
OMG :sad: the scenes on tv are so terrible to watch :sad:
the earthquake was heard even where i live,of course it wasn't that strong.

FORZA SARITA
Apr 6th, 2009, 01:43 PM
omg up to 90 :sad:

Nacho
Apr 6th, 2009, 02:23 PM
my condolences to our italian friends

Ellery
Apr 6th, 2009, 02:23 PM

Ciarán
Apr 6th, 2009, 02:36 PM
OMG up to 90? :o

Shuji Shuriken
Apr 6th, 2009, 04:31 PM
:sobbing:...I hope all the Italian posters are safe. The loss of life and the destruction is just heartbreaking to watch :sobbing:.

bavaria86
Apr 6th, 2009, 04:39 PM
:awww::sad:

bavaria86
Apr 6th, 2009, 04:40 PM
I remember visiting L´Aquila some years ago and its just horrible to see so much destruction there now:sobbing:

Shoulderpova
Apr 6th, 2009, 06:18 PM
Italy :sad::sobbing::hug:

CrossCourt~Rally
Apr 6th, 2009, 06:21 PM
Thats awfull to hear:sad:. My thoughts are with the italian community and everyone that has been affected by this tragedy. :hug:

~{X}~
Apr 6th, 2009, 06:33 PM
Italy :bigcry:

I will keep everyone there in my thoughts at this tragic time, I hope all can recover and go on. :hug:

FORZA SARITA
Apr 6th, 2009, 08:19 PM
up to over 150 :sad:
there was another earthquake few hours ago :tape:

A Magicman
Apr 6th, 2009, 08:24 PM
Horrendous. I just donated some money to help a little. This is a time where we, the people can do something, while our politicians are taking care for the financial and economical crisis, we can take care for our neighbors.

Love your neighbor as yourself.

Forza Italia!!!

FORZA SARITA
Apr 6th, 2009, 08:27 PM
Horrendous. I just donated some money to help a little. This is a time where we, the people can do something, while our politicians are taking care for the financial and economical crisis, we can take care for our neighbors.

Love your neighbor as yourself.

Forza Italia!!!

:bowdown:

A Magicman
Apr 6th, 2009, 08:34 PM
:bowdown:

No need to do that. My country received a lot of donations when it was bombed into ashes after WWII and we didn't really deserve that at that time. But people, especially Americans helped us.

And now some befriended country is in need, so I thought I just could give something back from what happened to my grandparents.

Words just can't describe how sorry I am for those 50,000 people who just lost everything they had.

FORZA SARITA
Apr 6th, 2009, 08:43 PM
No need to do that. My country received a lot of donations when it was bombed into ashes after WWII and we didn't really deserve that at that time. But people, especially Americans helped us.

And now some befriended country is in need, so I thought I just could give something back from what happened to my grandparents.

Words just can't describe how sorry I am for those 50,000 people who just lost everything they had.

not everyone is generous like you so you deserve all the :bowdown: of this world.

spiritedenergy
Apr 6th, 2009, 08:48 PM
terrible... In 1997 it was Assisi in Umbria, which is pretty close to L'Aquila
:sad::tears::sobbing:

savitri
Apr 6th, 2009, 09:12 PM
How sad and terrible to watch the Italian Tv today :sad: and there are many persons under the debris of their houses , maybe still alive that are waiting for help :sad:

gumoll
Apr 6th, 2009, 11:49 PM
so sad :sad:

Lin Lin
Apr 7th, 2009, 12:59 AM
100,000 people homeless:sad:

skanky~skanketta
Apr 7th, 2009, 01:53 AM
This is horrible!

madlove
Apr 7th, 2009, 02:50 AM
my prayers go out to italy..

Milito22
Apr 7th, 2009, 03:40 AM
forza per tutta la gente, in questa cara terra :hug:

Edina Monsoon
Apr 7th, 2009, 03:53 AM
Forza Italia

~Eclipsed~
Apr 7th, 2009, 05:01 AM
100,000 people homeless:sad:

How horrible. I couldn't imagine experiencing something like this. I just hope everyone is found and no one is suffering under broken down buildings. :sad:

Lin Lin
Apr 7th, 2009, 07:15 AM
The death toll is still rising:sad::scared:

korben
Apr 7th, 2009, 08:47 AM
It was just 6.3 :scared:

As usual. First report was about 8-10 dead. I was like. Hmmm. It is accurate or toll is much higher.
Once they reported 30. I was like. F* this is at least 100 :sad:

In press, this happens over and over and over...
When next catastrophe happens. Multiply first amount by ten. And you are close to the real number.
179 is most that european quake has killed in ... about 100 years? :sad:

galadriel
Apr 7th, 2009, 10:46 AM
Poor victims :sad:

Ciarán
Apr 7th, 2009, 10:52 AM
Death toll doubles over night :tears:

FORZA SARITA
Apr 7th, 2009, 12:45 PM
another bad earthquake in last night:sad:

Kworb
Apr 7th, 2009, 01:14 PM
179 is most that european quake has killed in ... about 100 years? :sad:

The 1980 Italian earthquake killed nearly 3000.

Lin Lin
Apr 7th, 2009, 02:12 PM
207 confirmed dead now:sad:

Lin Lin
Apr 7th, 2009, 02:13 PM
L'AQUILA, Italy - Earthquake aftershocks rocked the Italian city of L'Aquila on Tuesday, sending fresh lumps of debris tumbling as rescuers pulled out more survivors but the death toll passed 200.

A 98-year-old woman who whiled away the long hours knitting was among the lucky few saved, but hopes dwindled of finding others. Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi rejected outside help after Italy's worst earthquake in three decades but reports of looting added to the crisis.

Berlusconi told a press conference there were 207 dead and that 7,000 police, troops and other emergency services and volunteers were taking part in the hunt for survivors.

Their task was complicated by the aftershocks which rattled the L'Aquila more than a day after the initial 6.2 magnitude quake wreaked its devastation on the historic city and neighbouring villages.

The strongest, at about 11:30am (0930 GMT), measured magnitude 4.7 on the Richter scale, the national geological institute said.

Hundreds of the 1,500 injured people were being treated in a field hospital
set up inside L'Aquila, the epicentre of the quake.

Volunteer groups joined professional rescue teams who used sniffer dogs to locate victims, working through the night under giant spotlights with mechanical diggers to lift the heaviest rubble.

Berlusconi, who has declared a state of emergency in the central Abruzzi region, said the search would go on for another 48 hours, adding that 150 people had so far been pulled alive from collapsed structures.

One of those found on Tuesday was Maria D'Antuono, 98, who was recovered unharmed in L'Aquila some 30 hours after the quake.

She told the ANSA news agency that she had knitted while waiting to be rescued.

Public safety officials said hotels in the area, about 100 kilometres (60 miles) northeast of Rome, had made more than 13,000 beds available to the homeless.

About 17,000 people lost their homes, authorities said. Many people spent the night in their cars, as temperatures dropped to near freezing.

Berlusconi said 20 tent camps with 16 field kitchens would be completed Tuesday to accommodate 14,500 people.

"I thank foreign countries for their solidarity, but we ask them not to send us aid," he said. "We can handle the needs on our own. We are a proud people and we have the means," he said.

Interior Minister Robert Maroni said 130 million euros (175 million US dollars) in emergency funds had been made available and more would follow.

"We will find all the resources we need for this national emergency," Maroni said. However public anger mounted with many people in the zone saying quake warning signs had been clear to see in recent weeks.

"It's a scandal what's happened," L'Aquila resident Maria Francesco told AFP. "For the past three months there have been regular tremors, and they've been getting stronger and stronger!"

Of those killed, 40 were in the village of Onna, which had a population of around 300.

"My husband has been helping the rescue workers and he has been taking away bodies with his bare hands. It is just a nightmare," said one resident who only gave her first name Silvana.

With so many homes and businesses abandoned, there were reports of looting. Maroni said 200 police were assigned to patrol against looting.

"Unfortunately there were a few cases yesterday, and today we will reinforce the contingent," he added.

The epicentre of the quake was under L'Aquila and massive destruction was reported for 30 kilometres (20 miles) in all directions from the town. The nearby villages of Villa Sant'Angelo and Borgo di Castelnuovo were practically wiped out.

The quake lasted about 30 seconds, bringing down many buildings, including the dome on the 16th-century San Bernardino church. The city's cathedral was also among Renaissance and Baroque buildings damaged.

Roofs caved in on sleeping inhabitants and boulders fell off mountain slopes blocking many roads.

Safety concerns led to the cancellation of Easter mass services at churches damaged by the quake. Prayers would instead be held in tent villages sheltering survivors, the Roman Catholic Church announced.

Italy is criss-crossed by two fault lines, making it one of Europe's most quake-vulnerable regions, with some 20 million people at risk.

- AFP

Noctis
Apr 7th, 2009, 02:15 PM
:hug: :sad:

Lin Lin
Apr 7th, 2009, 02:20 PM
This is horrifying,it reminds me the Wen Chuan quake last year.:sad:Hope no more aftershocks there and more people could be rescued:sad:

FORZA SARITA
Apr 7th, 2009, 02:30 PM
207 confirmed dead now:sad:

"I thank foreign countries for their solidarity, but we ask them not to send us aid," he said. "We can handle the needs on our own. We are a proud people and we have the means," he said.

why he doesn't shut up :weirdo: give them your dirty money instead to talk.

HippityHop
Apr 7th, 2009, 02:30 PM
Sad news indeed. Does anybody have any more info about the man who tried to issue warnings about an imminent quake in that area?

By Andrew LaVallee
After an earthquake in the Abruzzo region of Italy killed at least 100 people, a local scientist is demanding an apology from authorities and saying that he was forced to take his warnings off the Internet.

Associated Press

A car is covered with debris and rubble following the earthquake in central Italy April 6.
A week ago, Gioacchino Giuliani (some news reports are calling him Giampaolo Giuliani), a seismologist at the nearby Gran Sasso National Laboratory, predicted that a large quake could occur soon after several small tremors. According to Reuters, his warning prompted vans with loudspeakers telling residents to leave their homes.

Authorities, however, told locals that the tremors were not unusual, accused Mr. Giuliani of “spreading alarm” and forced him to take his findings off the Internet.

Time reported Guido Bertolaso, head of Italy’s Civil Protection Agency, saying last week, “These imbeciles enjoy spreading false news … Everyone knows that you can’t predict earthquakes.”

After the quake, Mr. Giuliani demanded an apology for the denouncement. He told an Italian news outlet that “there are people out there who should be offering me apologies — and whose conscience should bear the full weight of what has happened.”

His comments and expertise are the subject of much discussion on Italian-language sites. A late-March interview on Italian political blog Donne Democratiche shows more than 50 comments, most posted early today. An interview with Mr. Giuliani, in Italian, remains on YouTube, where it has been viewed more than 89,000 times and received more than 400 comments, most of them in Italian.

L’Aquila, a medieval town about 60 miles northeast of Rome, was at the epicenter of the earthquake. In addition to the death toll, the quakes and tremors damaged as many as 15,000 buildings and left tens of thousands of people homeless, Italian official said.

Effy
Apr 7th, 2009, 02:32 PM
that's terrible :sad:
R.I.P. who died

Lin Lin
Apr 7th, 2009, 02:35 PM
I don't believe of any kind of warnings of an earthquake,these people only want to draw attentions from the public.

HippityHop
Apr 7th, 2009, 04:31 PM
I don't believe of any kind of warnings of an earthquake,these people only want to draw attentions from the public.

Apparently the Italian officials didn't believe them either. Whattayagunnado?

Shuji Shuriken
Apr 7th, 2009, 04:56 PM
:rolleyes:...i'm pretty sure that was his intention...yeah :rolleyes:.

gumoll
Apr 7th, 2009, 07:42 PM
there was a second big earthquake - 5.5 :sad:

229 people are now on the list :sad:

FORZA SARITA
Apr 7th, 2009, 07:46 PM
seems it will never end:o

savitri
Apr 7th, 2009, 09:58 PM
a 20 years old girl was found alive this evening under the debris by a fireman , 42 hours after the first shock of earthquake...

hellas719
Apr 8th, 2009, 12:43 AM
Italy:sad::hug:
My friend was going to go to Italy to visit relatives:scared:
I hope nothing happens when he's there (he will go on Firday).

G&R
Apr 8th, 2009, 06:28 PM
:sad: :sad:

Lin Lin
Apr 10th, 2009, 11:22 AM
I am watching the live show of earthquake funerals,it's really heart-breaking,many people are crying threre:sad: