PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Elizabeth-The movie

Caillou
Apr 5th, 2009, 10:52 PM
I have to write a review for english about the movie Elizabeth (1998). In this review I have to include why the director chose to use the color red throughout the movie, indentify themes and moods he is trying to create by contrasting red to white and black or to other colours and decide whether or not it was effective.

I am having a hard time getting started and if any of you guys have idea's or are famaliar with the film, could you help? this is my second time asking for help and I appreciated it very much the first time. Thanks in advance all fo you! I owe you guys!!

Grafitini
Apr 5th, 2009, 11:01 PM
Was, IMDB no help? There's, usually all you need to know on there.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0127536/

Caillou
Apr 5th, 2009, 11:04 PM
Was, IMDB no help? There's, usually all you need to know on there.

thanks! i will take a look

Grafitini
Apr 5th, 2009, 11:08 PM
You know something, I'm a movie addict but, I've yet to watch this. My brothers seen it about 10 time, and keeps recommending it to me.

Caillou
Apr 5th, 2009, 11:17 PM
ahaha just my luck! its a good movie so i agree watch it

Danči Dementia
Apr 6th, 2009, 06:16 AM
Elizabeth is a great film :worship:

and Cate Blanchettīs performance was the best performance if that year the hell with Gwyneth Platrow winning the oscar :rolleyes: :weirdo:

fifiricci
Apr 6th, 2009, 09:58 AM
Elizabeth is a great film :worship:

and Cate Blanchettīs performance was the best performance if that year the hell with Gwyneth Platrow winning the oscar :rolleyes: :weirdo:

Indeed, lol! Ditto with Judi Dench (who's a great actress, but did she really do her best work in this film?) Never understood myself what all the fuss is about re Gwyneth. And quite frankly her and Chris bloody Martin get on my nerves.
In my day (I sound like Queen Victoria now), we couldn't use the net to get our homework done. Think for yourself, thread starter!! :devil:

Sam L
Apr 6th, 2009, 12:21 PM
I have to write a review for english about the movie Elizabeth (1998). In this review I have to include why the director chose to use the color red throughout the movie, indentify themes and moods he is trying to create by contrasting red to white and black or to other colours and decide whether or not it was effective.

I am having a hard time getting started and if any of you guys have idea's or are famaliar with the film, could you help? this is my second time asking for help and I appreciated it very much the first time. Thanks in advance all fo you! I owe you guys!!
Well one thing is that red and white are the colors of the English flag. She was the last English Queen and married to England so to speak rather than a man so that's one angle you could use.

If you're writing a review, you should concentrate on whether the film captures the spirit of the Elizabethan times especially her early reign.

I'm not sure if you're familiar with Elizabethan history but you should concentrate on how the filmmaker captured the mood of uncertainty and precariousness. That was exactly what her first few years were like.

There are a lot of angles you can take, that's just a few of them. PM me if you're still having problems.

Ryan
Apr 6th, 2009, 12:57 PM
I took a philosophy class that was based around watching historical movies, and Elizabeth was one of them...so here's my take. :p

I think one of the big reasons Red is a prominent color in the movie is because of how Elizabeth came to be Queen - Mary was an absolute butcher, killing Protestants left, right and center (maybe not THAT bad, but check it up historically), wasn't she called Bloody Mary? Anyway I think like Sam said, the color red indicates not only bloodshed, but conflict and a 'state of war'. Elizabeth took the throne at a very precarious time, and had to navigate several religious and political factions against one another to stay on top.

Does your teacher mention contrasting red, white and black? I think that's pretty crucial too: black, in many cases, means secrecy/mystery, which pretty accurately describes the political intrigues of Elizabethan England. So to me black/shadows in the movie represent the secrecy, deceit and manipulating (mostly with Wolsingham?) that went on to take down Elizabeth / keep her on the throne.

White often is meant to represent purity, almost to a holy level. This obviously is meant to represent Elizabeth as the Virgin Queen - whether she was actually a virgin is irrelevant - the most important thing is her oath/pledge/commitment to her country and people to be wed to THEM, and to no one else. I think in the movie Elizabeth is portrayed as having very human flaws, and she realizes she can't fulfill her duty to her country and people if she is focused/distracted by men, or "temptations of the flesh". To combat this she pledges to never wed any man, and remains pure for England. This not only makes her focused on ruling her nation, but MOST importantly it gives her an "aura" - makes her more divine/holy than anyone else - this is critical for a woman ruling in such a chaotic time IMO, because she needs to be seen as a symbol, and not as a woman.

Uh, end/rant. Make sense at all? :o

Hazel
Apr 6th, 2009, 06:48 PM
I took a philosophy class that was based around watching historical movies, and Elizabeth was one of them...so here's my take. :p

I think one of the big reasons Red is a prominent color in the movie is because of how Elizabeth came to be Queen - Mary was an absolute butcher, killing Protestants left, right and center (maybe not THAT bad, but check it up historically), wasn't she called Bloody Mary? Anyway I think like Sam said, the color red indicates not only bloodshed, but conflict and a 'state of war'. Elizabeth took the throne at a very precarious time, and had to navigate several religious and political factions against one another to stay on top.

Does your teacher mention contrasting red, white and black? I think that's pretty crucial too: black, in many cases, means secrecy/mystery, which pretty accurately describes the political intrigues of Elizabethan England. So to me black/shadows in the movie represent the secrecy, deceit and manipulating (mostly with Wolsingham?) that went on to take down Elizabeth / keep her on the throne.

White often is meant to represent purity, almost to a holy level. This obviously is meant to represent Elizabeth as the Virgin Queen - whether she was actually a virgin is irrelevant - the most important thing is her oath/pledge/commitment to her country and people to be wed to THEM, and to no one else. I think in the movie Elizabeth is portrayed as having very human flaws, and she realizes she can't fulfill her duty to her country and people if she is focused/distracted by men, or "temptations of the flesh". To combat this she pledges to never wed any man, and remains pure for England. This not only makes her focused on ruling her nation, but MOST importantly it gives her an "aura" - makes her more divine/holy than anyone else - this is critical for a woman ruling in such a chaotic time IMO, because she needs to be seen as a symbol, and not as a woman.

I think that pretty much sums it up. If the OP just copies this they will get top marks!

Solitaire
Apr 6th, 2009, 07:00 PM
Another good thing to look at in terms of coloring are the costume changes. The director was always setting a mood with the color choice of each piece Elizabeth wore. From the light care free colors of her youth to the Saint like white at the end of the film.

alfonsojose
Apr 6th, 2009, 07:37 PM
Balnchett was perfect in that movie :drool: She was stolen at the Oscars

Caillou
Apr 6th, 2009, 09:30 PM

lmfao, i love you! helped a lot

Mr.Kardashian
Apr 7th, 2009, 12:26 AM
Cate Blanchett :)

camera angles are important in this film the emphasis on powerplay and status - and lighting/shadows. as a period piece mise en scene is always worth talking about too :)