PDA

View Full Version : Which city would you most like to host the 2016 Olympics

RFSTB
Apr 5th, 2009, 09:25 PM
Down to 4 candidates. Chicago is getting evaluated this weekend. Which city would you most like to see the 2016 Olympics held? I'm torn between Chicago and Rio. I think I'll go with Chicago.

fufuqifuqishahah
Apr 5th, 2009, 09:28 PM
I think these are all great cities as they are all not exactly typical

but i hope it's....

Rio -- lets change it up as much as possible

Ellery
Apr 5th, 2009, 09:31 PM
Definitely Rio. :bounce:

Dodoboy.
Apr 5th, 2009, 09:32 PM
Rio or Madrid. I am feeling latin.

debopero
Apr 5th, 2009, 09:32 PM
Rio

Ellery
Apr 5th, 2009, 09:34 PM
I find the other 3 options all kinda sucky.

Chicago: USA held the Olympics in 1996
Madrid: Spain held the Olympics in 1992.
Tokyo: Held the Olympics in 1964

:shrug:

KoOlMaNsEaN
Apr 5th, 2009, 09:37 PM
Would be nice to see some Brazilian flavor in a very hot climate.

KournikovaFan91
Apr 5th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Rio - however with Obama being the pres. now I reckon Chicago has it in the bag.

At least the USA will probably win this one by right unlike Atlanta, Lake Placid or Los Angeles.

KoOlMaNsEaN
Apr 5th, 2009, 09:41 PM
I don't see how Chicago has the money to host an Olympics. Don't they have problems of their own that need to be attended to.

raffles
Apr 5th, 2009, 09:54 PM
I don't see how Chicago has the money to host an Olympics. Don't they have problems of their own that need to be attended to.

RIO!!!:)

Wiggly
Apr 5th, 2009, 09:59 PM
Rio.
Could be a nice opportunity to discover another side of the city.
Would add a little bit diveristy as well.

Or Tokyo.

Spain ans USA had the Olympics many times.
Although Chicago will probably get it due to Obama.

RFSTB
Apr 5th, 2009, 10:00 PM
I selfishly want Rio to host it just so they'll have a great tennis facility that can host the fifth slam in March. Perfect weather. Beijing is too cold.

The biggest problem with Rio is the crime rate, which is really high.

Ellery
Apr 5th, 2009, 10:01 PM
Tokyo's chances are close to nil because Beijing held the games in 2008 :tears:

Cat's Pajamas
Apr 5th, 2009, 10:11 PM
Definitely hoping for Rio. Chicago is battling so much corruption right now in the state and local governments, and South America hasn't hosted it in ages right? If ever? :unsure:

austennis
Apr 5th, 2009, 10:21 PM
Rio - i think the Olympics need to b shared around more meaning that America, Asia, Asia and Australia need to be left out for the next few occasions

Dawn Marie
Apr 5th, 2009, 10:27 PM
Rio. Rio is diverse. Rio has flavor. Rio is colorful.

njnetswill
Apr 5th, 2009, 10:29 PM
Rio would be wonderful. There's still a question over whether Brazil could actually pull it off though.

With 2012 in London I don't see Madrid having much of a shot.

~Cherry*Blossom~
Apr 5th, 2009, 10:42 PM
Tokyo or Chicago.

Rio would be pretty cool too as it's something different.

mckyle.
Apr 5th, 2009, 10:44 PM
Chicago :D :D :D

Harvs
Apr 5th, 2009, 10:46 PM
Rio would be sick... i would so go!

Halardfan
Apr 5th, 2009, 10:48 PM
Tokyo.

Keadz
Apr 6th, 2009, 12:09 AM
Hopefully Rio.

Not sure if Brazil can afford all the infrastructure though. Isn't the country in a heap of debt?

Craig.
Apr 6th, 2009, 12:09 AM
Montreal, especially after the '76 debacle :rolls:

AjdeNate!
Apr 6th, 2009, 12:30 AM
Chicago... Olympic Village would be right outside my front door! :)

Optima
Apr 6th, 2009, 12:31 AM
Chicago :inlove:

Lin Lin
Apr 6th, 2009, 12:45 AM
South America:)

Wtrain
Apr 6th, 2009, 12:51 AM
Chicago,I would probably go. Rio would be my next choice. Tokyo and Madrid are probably not going to get because of Beijing and London.

Привет
Apr 6th, 2009, 12:53 AM
Rio de Janeiro! :yippee:

Beach volleyball ON BRAZILIAN BEACHES. :speakles: :drool:

pepaw
Apr 6th, 2009, 12:58 AM
rio would be the coolest but is it really wise to spend so much money to host the games when people are still living in favelas there?

chicago will probably get it because london has 2012 so no madrid and beijing had it last year so no tokyo.

Nicolás89
Apr 6th, 2009, 01:08 AM
Who says Brazil can't afford the olympics? They already proposed a budget of +14 billions, I believe that's way more than what London is going to cost, also Brazil is hosting the World Cup in 2014, so most of the required facilities will be on hand.

young_gunner913
Apr 6th, 2009, 01:15 AM
2009 Worst [Best] City in the United States - Stockton, CA :hearts:

Danči Dementia
Apr 6th, 2009, 05:14 AM
Río so deserves it.

South America has never hosted Olympic games.
Europe has many times and Asia as well
and United States has hosted too much in little time and its always the same.

its time for a variation, so its Brazil´s turn :shrug:

its latino time :D

Lin Lin
Apr 6th, 2009, 05:37 AM
South America :)

Pasta-Na
Apr 6th, 2009, 06:35 AM
rio :bounce:

Mattographer
Apr 6th, 2009, 06:45 AM
Rio!

Veritas
Apr 6th, 2009, 06:53 AM
Río so deserves it.

South America has never hosted Olympic games.
Europe has many times and Asia as well
and United States has hosted too much in little time and its always the same.

its time for a variation, so its Brazil´s turn :shrug:

its latino time :D

Asia's only hosted the Olympics 3 times. That's hardly "many".

Sam L
Apr 6th, 2009, 11:09 AM
Chicago aka Obamatown. He'll still be in office in 2016. :D

Kuilli
Apr 6th, 2009, 11:23 AM
Rio :)

Scotso
Apr 6th, 2009, 12:29 PM
Chicago.

N.M.
Apr 6th, 2009, 01:22 PM
Rio, the other aren't even close to me. South America deserves to host Olympics.

rockstar
Apr 6th, 2009, 03:26 PM
rio would be more interesting, i'd really like them to pull it off

but world cup and olympics within 2 years? :unsure:

Edina Monsoon
Apr 6th, 2009, 03:46 PM
Rio.
Could be a nice opportunity to discover another side of the city.
Would add a little bit diveristy as well.

Agree.

shirley
Apr 6th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Madrid

Barrie_Dude
Apr 6th, 2009, 04:03 PM
They do, but they can easily raise the money...... and they need this

raffles
Apr 6th, 2009, 04:24 PM
I'll put down Madrid as my second choice, easy access for me and Barcelona did a great job last time. Anywhere but Chicago as my memories of the last American olympics are not positive.

pica_pica
Apr 6th, 2009, 04:41 PM
Rio please! Sounds cool to me!

Mixo
Apr 6th, 2009, 06:30 PM
Madrid.

We really deserve it. The 2016 Olympics will be awesome if they are held in Madrid, believe me.

Haute
Apr 6th, 2009, 06:34 PM

And nothing screams safety like getting kidnapped in unmarked cabs in Rio. ;)

raffles
Apr 6th, 2009, 07:18 PM
Who the hell gets into unmarked cabs anyway? The cheap and the stupid.

RFSTB
Apr 6th, 2009, 08:15 PM
Who the hell gets into unmarked cabs anyway? The cheap and the stupid.

Stupid foreigners? Every country has them. :devil:

LoveFifteen
Apr 6th, 2009, 08:20 PM
I am rooting for Rio, but :lol: @ everyone pointing out Chicago's corruption and financial problems while simultaneously singing Rio's praises. :unsure:

And :lol: @ people who say Brazil cannot afford the Olympics as if the debt-adled USA, reeling-from-a-real-estate-collapse Spain, and decade-long-deflation Japan are replete with cash.

Brazil is probably the one lease affected by the financial crisis. :shrug:

KournikovaFan91
Apr 6th, 2009, 08:27 PM
US games have a bad repuatation.

Salt Lake City and Atlana were bought.
Lake Placid and LA were given because they threw a hissy fit over Moscow.

Bartosh
Apr 6th, 2009, 09:19 PM
Tokyo :hearts:

Mr.Kardashian
Apr 6th, 2009, 11:28 PM
Madrid would be nice. but i think Rio should get it

Sally Struthers
Apr 6th, 2009, 11:30 PM
I like watching events live so I'd go with Chicago or Rio

madlove
Apr 7th, 2009, 01:51 AM
tokyo babyyyyyy!

matthias
Apr 7th, 2009, 09:56 AM
i support Tokyo, it would help a Munich 2018 WinterGames bid ;)

mandy7
Apr 7th, 2009, 12:09 PM
still more than zero :p
Chicago aka Obamatown. He'll still be in office in 2016. :D
and this matters...how?
Madrid.
We really deserve it. The 2016 Olympics will be awesome if they are held in Madrid, believe me.
why do you deserve it?
what fucking awesome thing did all of you do, to deserve the olympics?
i support Tokyo, it would help a Munich 2018 WinterGames bid ;)
Now THAT's a very good reason :D :lol:

nevetssllim
Apr 8th, 2009, 08:27 AM
I don't really want Rio to get the Games. One of my friends coaches various Canadian athletes and during the Para Pan-American Games in 2007, there was quite a lot of prejudice against disabled athletes...

Ceze
Apr 8th, 2009, 02:38 PM
I find the other 3 options all kinda sucky.

Chicago: USA held the Olympics in 1996
Madrid: Spain held the Olympics in 1992.
Tokyo: Held the Olympics in 1964

:shrug:exactly, Rio it should be :D

sakya23
Apr 8th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Chicago

Polikarpov
Apr 8th, 2009, 03:51 PM
Tokyo so that I could attend my first Olympics. Hehe.

Haimar
Apr 8th, 2009, 05:28 PM
Madrid, would be a great holiday and not too far!

Dawson.
Apr 8th, 2009, 05:57 PM
Rio is the only city that interests me. It's a well known city, but not for sport. It would be nice if the Olympics were to go somewhere different.

This is why the main cities for the 2012 games didn't really interest me. I was happy that London got it obviously because I'm British and I'm probably going to go to the event. But the 3 main contenders were London, Paris and New York -- 3 cities we as tennis fans are used to seeing a grand slam take place every year. It's time for a new continent to have their turn. GO RIO!! :D

Just Do It
Apr 8th, 2009, 06:02 PM
I dont care, I just want CENTRAL EUROPEAN TIME :sobbing: so I dont have to get up at 5 am to watch it :rolleyes:

Serenita
Apr 8th, 2009, 06:33 PM
Rio papi

timafi
Apr 8th, 2009, 06:39 PM
Chi town baby:woohoo::woohoo:
can't believe Oprah was there last night:eek:

tenn_ace
Apr 8th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Rio

raffles
Apr 8th, 2009, 09:08 PM
How many times has the US had an OG? Last time they made a right royal mess of it all so no not Chicago. I might change my vote from Rio to Madrid considering Madrid is the easiest to get to for me. But since the 2012 games will be in my own home country, I won't be great and instead support Rio.

-Sonic-
Apr 8th, 2009, 11:03 PM
Fairness would dictate not a N American, European or Asian city... so I pick Rio

Golovinjured.
Apr 9th, 2009, 02:40 AM
Rio.

Only Americans want it in America.

iGOAT
Apr 9th, 2009, 03:35 AM
I'm biased because I have family from Chicago, but I think it is favored.....

Tokyo-Beijing just had it and that would be a lot in Asia. I think if it was going to be in Asia it would have been Doha
Madrid-I doubt it would be the same continent twice in a row
Rio de Janeiro-Brazil will have World Cup two years before
Chicago-Back to the US, obviously wants it, a great and deserving city

Wtrain
Apr 9th, 2009, 04:52 AM
How many times has the US had an OG? Last time they made a right royal mess of it all so no not Chicago. I might change my vote from Rio to Madrid considering Madrid is the easiest to get to for me. But since the 2012 games will be in my own home country, I won't be great and instead support Rio.

I'm not sure what you mean, the Salt lake city games went great. Well..... if you don't count that horrid french judge.

nashi
Apr 9th, 2009, 05:15 AM
Tokyo

Renalicious
Apr 9th, 2009, 05:56 AM
RDJ definitely.

raffles
Apr 9th, 2009, 06:53 AM
I'm biased because I have family from Chicago, but I think it is favored.....

Tokyo-Beijing just had it and that would be a lot in Asia. I think if it was going to be in Asia it would have been Doha
Madrid-I doubt it would be the same continent twice in a row
Rio de Janeiro-Brazil will have World Cup two years before
Chicago-Back to the US, obviously wants it, a great and deserving city

The US put on the worst games of the last 20 years so why should they get another. Also it wouldn't be two Asian games in a row if Tokyo got it, it would be Asia-Europe-Asia, as it was Europe-Asia-Europe for Athens-Beijing-London.

raffles
Apr 9th, 2009, 06:55 AM
I'm not sure what you mean, the Salt lake city games went great. Well..... if you don't count that horrid french judge.
Who cares about the winter games, they are small potatoes compared to the summer games. It's a different status of event altogether.

schorsch
Apr 9th, 2009, 08:01 AM
I don't know, but if we look at it strictly from a tennis perspective... what surfaces would we get in each respective city?

I think Madrid would be clay and so would Rio, right? Chicaco hardcourt and Tokyo hardcourt or even indoors carpet/hardcourt :lol:

So, I dont know :lol:

Halardfan
Apr 9th, 2009, 08:20 AM
The big upside of Tokyo is the organisation skill of Japan is stunning, transport will run on time to the second...which wont happen in London!

Also Tokyo is a breathtaking city, a vast metropolis, with spectacular neon lit buildings that belong in the 22nd century, helpful welcoming people, low crime, clean streets, I love Tokyo and it would make for a unique games.

Sam L
Apr 9th, 2009, 11:13 AM
Delhi is going for 2020 Games. I really hope they get it even though it's still far away.

Freakan
Apr 9th, 2009, 12:10 PM
Madrid all the way! :rocker:

GeeTee
Apr 10th, 2009, 03:38 AM
Rio

It'd be nice if US cities stopped bidding pretty much every time and the Spanish are nearly as bad. The Games should not be held in the same country more than once every forty or fifty years.

India can't even hold it's own stupid cricket league in its own country due to security worries... next year's Commonwealth Games in Delhi look to be the worst organised in a long time.. I'd say keep the Olympics well away from India for quite a while..

RFSTB
Apr 10th, 2009, 04:45 AM
Rio

It'd be nice if US cities stopped bidding pretty much every time and the Spanish are nearly as bad. The Games should not be held in the same country more than once every forty or fifty years.

India can't even hold it's own stupid cricket league in its own country due to security worries... next year's Commonwealth Games in Delhi look to be the worst organised in a long time.. I'd say keep the Olympics well away from India for quite a while..

:lol: We're a big country, with many big cities. None of our bids are government sponsored like in other countries. Just think of us as independent countries bidding separately. Spain on the other hand...

India is too scary these days, first Mumbai then those cricket players from Sri Lanka. They're actually upset that Australia wanted to pull Davis Cup out of Delhi. I fear for the lives of the commonwealth games athletes in 2010.

Danči Dementia
Apr 10th, 2009, 06:36 AM

like Mandy said three times is still more than Zero ;)

about Madrid.
I remember reading somewhere a while ago that the IOC has a rule that says that the OG can´t be held twice in a row in the same continent....wo why to even bother??

I love Spain but honestly they seem very anxious about getting this Olympics :shrug:

if Brazil doesn´t gets the bid we won´t ever see latinamaerica hosting the games(maybe our children will :shrug:).....Brazil is the only country in south and latin america with real chances to host the OG, no other latinamerican country can do that right now or in the years to come.
they are the only country around here that can afford OG.

Danči Dementia
Apr 10th, 2009, 06:39 AM
Hopefully Rio.

Not sure if Brazil can afford all the infrastructure though. Isn't the country in a heap of debt?

rio would be the coolest but is it really wise to spend so much money to host the games when people are still living in favelas there?

chicago will probably get it because london has 2012 so no madrid and beijing had it last year so no tokyo.

Río already has lots of stadiums for the events since they hostes the PanAms in 2007(with some really great halls, like the gymnastics one:hearts:) so they won´t really spend that much money on building everything new.
and not to mention those incredibly big football stadiums they already have and that will be pretty much new after the renewal of stadiums they´ll make for the 2014 World Cup.

that is really the only thing I see that can completely screw over Brazil´s shot.
the two most important sports events in the same country withing two years :unsure:

if Brazil doesn´t wins the bid I hope Tokyo will.
Chicago and Madrid :yawn: both USA and Spain hosted Olympics in the last decade, still fresh memories

Lin Lin
Apr 10th, 2009, 06:47 AM
Hope Shanghai or HongKong or Guangzhou will compete for 2020 Olympics:bounce:

Danči Dementia
Apr 10th, 2009, 06:49 AM
that´d be too soon :shrug:
for another Chinese city

Danči Dementia
Apr 10th, 2009, 06:50 AM
I wonder if Paris will run again for 2020 :scratch: :hearts:

I hope they will :hearts:

raffles
Apr 10th, 2009, 07:14 AM
Far too soon for Chinese city to bid again. I think the French are probably tired out by all that rejection and to lose out to London was a shock to them so maybe they need to take a break, plus if Madrid get it in 2016 they haven't got a chance. Still its inevitible that European is going to get it more than others, the nature of Europe is that that there are lots of major(world) cities in a much smaller area than any other part of the world, as long as numerous governments who want the opportunity to show of their nation to the world. So more bids, more host cities.

I'd take Madrid over Chicago any day, Barcelona did a better job than Atlanta of hosting the games and Spain is much closer for me. Plus Madrid is a much more beautiful city than Chicago.

Centro
Apr 10th, 2009, 07:15 AM
Río so deserves it.

Centro
Apr 10th, 2009, 07:15 AM
Quickfire

Lin Lin
Apr 10th, 2009, 07:27 AM
Far too soon for Chinese city to bid again. I think the French are probably tired out by all that rejection and to lose out to London was a shock to them so maybe they need to take a break, plus if Madrid get it in 2016 they haven't got a chance. Still its inevitible that European is going to get it more than others, the nature of Europe is that that there are lots of major(world) cities in a much smaller area than any other part of the world, as long as numerous governments who want the opportunity to show of their nation to the world. So more bids, more host cities.

I'd take Madrid over Chicago any day, Barcelona did a better job than Atlanta of hosting the games and Spain is much closer for me. Plus Madrid is a much more beautiful city than Chicago.

1984 LA and 1996 Atlanta,time interval is exactly 12 years,so,2020 is possible for another Chinese city:)
I hope Hongkong or Guangzhou:)And there are many huge cities around these two,they probably can co-host 2020 Olympics;)

Lin Lin
Apr 10th, 2009, 07:28 AM
Shanghai is another good choice for me;)

raffles
Apr 10th, 2009, 08:02 AM
1984 LA and 1996 Atlanta,time interval is exactly 12 years,so,2020 is possible for another Chinese city:)
I hope Hongkong or Guangzhou:)And there are many huge cities around these two,they probably can co-host 2020 Olympics;)

But at that time the pool of possibly Olympic hosts was much smaller than it is today so I think a bigger break between China hosting the games will take place. Guangzhou, aren't they hosting the Asian Games or something like that next year.

Halardfan
Apr 10th, 2009, 09:06 AM
Just checked the UK bookmakers odds...Chicago unsuprisingly is clear favourite, but I was surprised to notice that Tokyo was a narrow second favourite just ahead of Rio. Madrid are by some distance the outsiders.

Madrid though came very close to eliminating London last time and shouldnt be entirely ruled out.

Looks like Chicago then, baring some gaffe along the way.

Lin Lin
Apr 10th, 2009, 09:10 AM
But at that time the pool of possibly Olympic hosts was much smaller than it is today so I think a bigger break between China hosting the games will take place. Guangzhou, aren't they hosting the Asian Games or something like that next year.

Yes,Guanghzou will host the nest Asia Game,so all the facilities will be okey for another Olympics:bounce:

raffles
Apr 10th, 2009, 09:17 AM
Just checked the UK bookmakers odds...Chicago unsuprisingly is clear favourite, but I was surprised to notice that Tokyo was a narrow second favourite just ahead of Rio. Madrid are by some distance the outsiders.

Madrid though came very close to eliminating London last time and shouldnt be entirely ruled out.

Looks like Chicago then, baring some gaffe along the way.

Not necessarily considering Paris was the clear favourite for 2012 and London won, which shocked most people in the UK. We thought we had no chance but lo and behold we won. I wouldn't say Chicago has got it wrapped up by any means.

Polikarpov
Apr 10th, 2009, 09:42 AM
I don't know how accurate the data in Wikipedia are regarding the first round of evaluation of the 2016 Olympics bids, but it listed the following scores: Tokyo-8.3; Madrid-8.1; Chicago-7.0; and Rio de Janeiro-6.4. Interestingly, Doha got a higher score than Rio with 6.9, but opted to eliminate Doha citing various concerns. I think this is the first time the IOC didn't go by the rules in selecting the final bids.

Halardfan
Apr 10th, 2009, 09:52 AM
Not necessarily considering Paris was the clear favourite for 2012 and London won, which shocked most people in the UK. We thought we had no chance but lo and behold we won. I wouldn't say Chicago has got it wrapped up by any means.

Yeah it was a surprise, but even that was partly due to a gaffe by Chirac I think, didnt he insult Finland or something and lose their vital vote?

Chicago has the Obama factor, a new feeling in the world that America is changing for the better, reaching out to the world, and a Chicago Olympics can be part of that perception.

I agree that although Chicago is a warm favourite, the race isnt over. My personal pick is Tokyo as said, a breathtaking city, in a fantastic country.

Halardfan
Apr 10th, 2009, 10:01 AM
Most countries have just one 'world city', a city of the scale and stature to be a fitting host for an Olympic games. Britain really has only has London on that scale, which is why bids from Birmingham and Manchester never had a chance in years gone by.

The US has more...New York, LA, probably Chicago, Washington. Its subjective though...for me San Francisco, with its grand backdrop, feels much more like an Olympic city than somewhere like Atlanta say. Atlanta wasnt enough of a world city to host such a games, which partly explains the general perception that they were a disappointing games. They lacked the iconic backdrop of other games.

England for me is far more suited to hosting a World Cup than an Olympics, though for political reasons I dont think we'll get it anytime soon. The stadiums are all in place, our police are experienced with handling big games every week. I dont have the same confidence about our Olympics, especially with the finicial woes we currently have.

Polikarpov
Apr 10th, 2009, 10:03 AM
I really feel that Tokyo would get it. I think the whole "it's too soon to bring the Olympics back in Asia after Beijing" factor has little to no bearing at all. I mean Atlanta won the bid in 1990, when six years prior, Los Angeles hosted the Olympics. Overall I think Tokyo has the best bid out of the four.

raffles
Apr 10th, 2009, 10:11 AM
Most countries have just one 'world city', a city of the scale and stature to be a fitting host for an Olympic games. Britain really has only has London on that scale, which is why bids from Birmingham and Manchester never had a chance in years gone by.

The US has more...New York, LA, probably Chicago. But Atlanta wasnt enough of a world city to host such a games, which partly explains the general perception that they were a disappointing games. They lacked the iconic backdrop of other games.

England for me is far more suited to hosting a World Cup than an Olympics, though for political reasons I dont think we'll get it anytime soon. The stadiums are all in place, our police are experienced with handling big games every week. I dont have the same confidence about our Olympics, especially with the finicial woes we currently have.

This is a good point and yes it is the reason why Manchester never had a chance and why finally it was admitted that if we were going to host the games it would have to be London. After all we can resist the idea of Olympic tennis at Wimbledon and beach volleyball on Horseguard parade. London made the most of its iconic status as a world city and thats probably part of the reason it won the bid. I agree about Atlanta, it was my mind a mistake and I think Chicago would be too. Sorry to say its not a world city in that same league as Tokyo and Rio. People outside the US don't have the same mental image of Chicago, much in the same way they didn't with Atlanta. If you say Rio or Toyko to someone they can quickly conjure up an image in their minds of the place, no so with Chicago.(unless they watch e.r.)

England is bidding for the World Cup is it not? Good luck to them even though I can't stand football. Glasgow will be hosting the Commonwealth games in 2014 so maybe the World Cup would be an event too far for the UK. I would like to see a UK World Cup instead of just an English world cup but due to home nations bickering between FA's it will never happen just like the prospect of a British football team in the Olympics.

Halardfan
Apr 10th, 2009, 10:11 AM
I really think Tokyo would get it.

Hope so...they were outsiders early on but have gradually come in to have a fighting chance.

Halardfan
Apr 10th, 2009, 10:18 AM
This is a good point and yes it is the reason why Manchester never had a chance and why finally it was admitted that if we were going to host the games it would have to be London. After all we can resist the idea of Olympic tennis at Wimbledon and beach volleyball on Horseguard parade. London made the most of its iconic status as a world city and thats probably part of the reason it won the bid. I agree about Atlanta, it was my mind a mistake and I think Chicago would be too. Sorry to say its not a world city in that same league as Tokyo and Rio. People outside the US don't have the same mental image of Chicago, much in the same way they didn't with Atlanta. If you say Rio or Toyko to someone they can quickly conjure up an image in their minds of the place, no so with Chicago.(unless they watch e.r.)

England is bidding for the World Cup is it not? Good luck to them even though I can't stand football. Glasgow will be hosting the Commonwealth games in 2014 so maybe the World Cup would be an event too far for the UK. I would like to see a UK World Cup instead of just an English world cup but due to home nations bickering between FA's it will never happen just like the prospect of a British football team in the Olympics.

About Chicago Im not sure...its certainly more famous and dramatic a city than Atlanta, but as you suggest, might lack that globally recognisable feel that New York has. But Ive had a soft spot for Chicago ever since I saw “Ferris Buellers Day off” many moons ago!

raffles
Apr 10th, 2009, 10:21 AM
About Chicago Im not sure...its certainly more famous and dramatic a city than Atlanta, but as you suggest, might lack that globally recognisable feel that New York has. But Ive had a soft spot for Chicago ever since I saw “Ferris Buellers Day off” many moons ago!

Well it wouldn't be hard to be a more famous and dramatic city than Atlanta, why they won I shall never know. Still before that Barcelona won which probably isn't a "world city" despite it being a beautiful place. Still they put on a great games while Atlanta..not so much.

Lin Lin
Apr 10th, 2009, 10:26 AM
Tokyo is also good for me considering the time issue,you wouldn't need to creep up at midnight;)

SVK
Apr 10th, 2009, 10:29 AM
Madrid... or Chicago

Just Do It
Apr 10th, 2009, 10:36 AM
WOW Rio is leading. Yeah, that is a nice city but it is a big question would that city be able to organize such a big event ?

nikita771
Apr 10th, 2009, 11:10 PM
I'm in the USA, so Chicago would be fabulous. I could actually make it to Chicago.

hwanmig
Apr 11th, 2009, 02:55 AM
Rio

Knizzle
Apr 11th, 2009, 03:03 AM
CHICAGO!! I live there!

Sir Stefwhit
Apr 11th, 2009, 08:27 PM
I voted for Rio, but in my heart I'm hoping it's Chicago so I could go.

2009 Worst [Best] City in the United States - Stockton, CA :hearts:I don't know too much about Stockton cuz I moved from there when I was 1yr old, but since I was born there I agree it's a great place...

RFSTB
Apr 11th, 2009, 08:39 PM
Word is Chicago presented a very good plan to the IOC last week, compact, everything within walking distance, but they lacked 100% financial guarantee from the federal government and also lacked public enthusiasm.

Pszczelny
Apr 13th, 2009, 09:07 PM
Madrid would be the best, then Tokyo, but these two don't have big chances because of London and Beijing. So if not, then RdJ. Only not Chicago. USA just can't organize well any big event.

Sammm
Apr 13th, 2009, 10:08 PM
If it goes to America then 3 of the last 5 Olympics will have been held in English-speaking countries. Plus Atlanta was crap, so give it to Rio.