PDA

View Full Version : Australian Anti-smoking commercial draws howls as boy sobs for mommy

Bijoux0021
Apr 5th, 2009, 08:40 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/lifestyle/health/2009/04/04/2009-04-04_australian_antismoking_commercial_draws_-1.html

Australian Anti-smoking commercial draws howls as boy sobs for mommy

BY Rich Schapiro and Bill Hutchinson
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

Updated Saturday, April 4th 2009, 8:05 PM

http://i39.tinypic.com/1zfhfzk.jpg
Critics have leveled complaints
against an anti-smoking commercial
and its treatment of the
young boy featured in it.

A crying 3-year-old - the centerpiece of a heart-wrenching new anti-smoking commercial - has ignited a controversy stretching from Australia to New York City.

TV talk shows and the Internet are burning up with debates about whether the tears were real - the producers say yes - and whether they went too far to get the little boy to cry on camera.

"I think it's crossing the line a little bit to use a little kid like a prop," said Jersey City architect Elizabeth Torres, 40, a nonsmoker. "It's using the heartfelt connection people have with kids in a wrong way."

In the ad, the child bursts into tears when he suddenly realizes his mother has abandoned him in a bustling train station.

It ends with a closeup of the sniffling tot and the ominous voiceover: "If this is how your child feels after losing you for a minute, just imagine if they lost you for life."

Edwina Pearce, a spokeswoman for the Cancer Council Victoria, which produced the ad in Australia, said the boy, whom she identified only as Alexander, shed real tears.

"We didn't do anything dastardly to make him cry. He did get upset, but it was about a 10-second period that he was upset for and then his mother came back and gave him a big cuddle and everything was happy again."

And, she said, the ends justified the means.

"When the ad was shown here, we had the biggest number of calls to our local quit-smoking help line," Pearce told the Daily News. "The most important thing to us is that the ad inspires people to quit smoking."

City health officials agree.

"In order to motivate someone to quit, you have to provoke a strong emotional response," said Jenna Mandel-Ricci, director of special projects for the city Department of Health. "If we run ads that people don't remember or that don't affect people, then people won't call for help."

City officials said they were unable to tell if the ad caused a spike in calls to the local quit-smoking line.

Pearce said Alexander's mother, Annette, who also appears in the commercial, has declined numerous requests for interviews. "They requested anonymity," Pearce said.

She said Alexander was about 3-1/2 when he filmed the commercial last year in a Sydney, Australia, train station. She said the 200 or so people walking around Alexander were actors and that child protection officers were on set to ensure the boy's safety. The commercial was shot in one take so Alexander didn't have to cry over and over.

Longtime smoker Aileen Iverson, 39, of Long Island, said the ad only made her angry. "Seeing a little kid cry is not going to make me stop smoking," she said. "I think it's silly."

saint2
Apr 5th, 2009, 08:48 PM
Longtime smoker Aileen Iverson

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2006/writers/marty_burns/12/12/iverson.buzz/p1.iverson.trade.jpg

:confused::confused:

Bijoux0021
Apr 5th, 2009, 08:59 PM
You mean Allen Iverson. Does he really smokes?

Anyway, I saw the anti-smoking commercial featuring the little boy. It did pull at my heartstrings. If it makes a few people stop smoking, then it's worth it.

saint2
Apr 5th, 2009, 09:07 PM
You mean Allen Iverson. Does he really smokes?

Anyway, I saw the anti-smoking commercial featuring the little boy. It did pull at my heartstrings. If it makes a few people stop smoking, then it's worth it.

Don't know does he smoke, I've just read Allan Iverson on first sight :lol::lol:

BTW- whats with that "anti smoking paranoia"? I'm starting to feel like discriminated minority...

Grafitini
Apr 5th, 2009, 09:25 PM
I, wonder, do those adverts do any good? I, smoked for nearly 20 years and nothing I saw made me wanna give them up. And, I don't know anybody else who has been persauded to stop smoking, because of them.
It's the same with the 'responsible-drinking' ones. You see ads were, cars crash and people are pinned against walls and kids are lying dead but, when you drive by bars and hotels, the car parks are full, now don't tell me they all have a designated driver, or they're all filling up on apple juice. They're crucifying people for smoking yet, by all accounts, drink-related diseases are costing the health service more, so why not ban alcohol?

Kirt12255
Apr 5th, 2009, 11:04 PM
[quote=Grafitini;15354634]I, wonder, do those adverts do any good? I, smoked for nearly 20 years and nothing I saw made me wanna give them up. And, I don't know anybody else who has been persauded to stop smoking, because of them.
They seem to work (according to stats). Since the aggressive advertising here in Australia, particularly younger smokers, the percentage of smokers has dropped. As for me, the ads seem to make me want to pick up a smoke and light it.:scratch: What annoys me is the time they display these adverts, often during kids tv prime time, now I have my young nieces getting on my back for smoking. That has more effect on me.

Grafitini
Apr 5th, 2009, 11:11 PM
[quote=Grafitini;15354634]I, wonder, do those adverts do any good? I, smoked for nearly 20 years and nothing I saw made me wanna give them up. And, I don't know anybody else who has been persauded to stop smoking, because of them.
They seem to work (according to stats). Since the aggressive advertising here in Australia, particularly younger smokers, the percentage of smokers has dropped. As for me, the ads seem to make me want to pick up a smoke and light it.:scratch: What annoys me is the time they display these adverts, often during kids tv prime time, now I have my young nieces getting on my back for smoking. That has more effect on me.

They're probably, drinking more now.

Thing is, when I was younger, I just smoked ciggys, now, they're smoking weed/grass/blow/whateverthat shits called.

Keadz
Apr 6th, 2009, 12:02 AM
Weed is safer than cigarettes.

Haven't seen this add on T.V for a while though.

The message is completely real though.

Harvs
Apr 6th, 2009, 12:11 AM
omg this add is heart-wrenching

azza
Apr 6th, 2009, 04:41 AM
i love how theres no ecstacy adds :) coz e is good for u

requiem
Apr 6th, 2009, 09:47 AM
Is there a youtube link somewhere ????????

Scotso
Apr 6th, 2009, 10:48 AM

:lol: ;)

Scotso
Apr 6th, 2009, 10:55 AM
This is a typical tactic for liberal organizations (and conservative ones). It's pretty ridiculous that they always attack Republicans for using "fear tactics," and then do things like this. Pathetic.

http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/154264

GeeTee
Apr 10th, 2009, 03:28 AM
lol

if there's CCTV footage of me walking/staggering home from a party last week, that would make a good anti-e advertisement..

...particularly the bit when I come to the realisation I've just walked 10km in the wrong direction.. :(