PDA

View Full Version : Need help- Can I get free STD testing in NYC?

Peter M
Apr 3rd, 2009, 05:20 PM
Title says it all.

Here's the deal. I had a bad accident a few months ago and when I was in the hospital, I had to get a blood transfusion. Now, I realize that these dare not the days of when Arthur Ashe got HIV from a blood transfusion. But I am a little scared. I have always meant to get myself tested for STD's but I never have. I don't really know where to go for it and what it involves.

Can anyone please mention a place in NYC where I can go and do this..... and also please let me know what it involves. ie, time and pricing. And it is anonymous?

Thanks. :)

woosey
Apr 3rd, 2009, 05:38 PM
this is a home-based testing kit. you do the blood extraction yourself and put it on something they provide. it has to be enough. and then you mail it to the company in the packaging they've provided. you get a number. i believe it's the only fda-approved kit of its kind, if that means anything.

http://www.homeaccess.com/

otherwise, before you go to a clinic to get tested, i would be absolutely certain it is anonymous. i believe that in some states, clinics are required to report people's positive results to the government. i think there are distinctions between confidential and anonymous testing.

i would go to a website like the gmhc.org (gay men's health crisis) or call them. they would know all the ins and outs of getting tested. you don't have to be gay. they just know about it all. i think they are based in nyc too.

woosey
Apr 3rd, 2009, 05:38 PM
blood banks nowadays are mostly safe.

Barrie_Dude
Apr 3rd, 2009, 05:43 PM
this is a home-based testing kit. you do the blood extraction yourself and put it on something they provide. it has to be enough. and then you mail it to the company in the packaging they've provided. you get a number. i believe it's the only fda-approved kit of its kind, if that means anything.

otherwise, before you go to a clinic to get tested, i would be absolutely certain it is anonymous. i believe that in some states, clinics are required to report people's positive results to the government. i think there are distinctions between confidential and anonymous testing.

i would go to a website like the gmhc.org (gay men's health crisis) or call them. they would know all the ins and outs of getting tested. you don't have to be gay. they just know about it all. i think they are based in nyc too.
In a sesnse, it is that way here as well. There is some testing available, but if someone tests positive for certain comunicable diseases, they are required to report it to public health.

Ciarán
Apr 3rd, 2009, 05:53 PM
There is little chance of contracting the HIV virus today with blood transfusions. Donors are tested and so is the donated blood before the recipient of the blood gets it.

I hope everything works out OK :hug:

Barrie_Dude
Apr 3rd, 2009, 05:58 PM
There is little chance of contracting the HIV virus today with blood transfusions. Donors are tested and so is the donated blood before the recipient of the blood gets it.

I hope everything works out OK :hug:
Good point!

Barrie_Dude
Apr 3rd, 2009, 05:59 PM
I will have say that if you are sexually active with more than 1 partner, I think it is imperative that you are tested on a regular basis anyway

Peter M
Apr 3rd, 2009, 06:18 PM

Thanks for the info. I called the gmhc just now and they said that they only test for HIV, hepatitis and 1 other STD (I think they said syphilis). They said I could try the Dept. of Health, which I did. I called them and got a voicemail. I am assuming that the Dept of Health is not anonymous, but who knows. In reality, I guess the anonymity is not 100% crucial, but it would just make me feel better.

What did you mean by blood banks? Something like Cabcorp or Quest? If yes, then don't I need a Drs. scrip? I guess I could get one but then the results would be sent back to him, right?

Barrie_Dude
Apr 3rd, 2009, 06:27 PM
Thanks for the info. I called the gmhc just now and they said that they only test for HIV, hepatitis and 1 other STD (I think they said syphilis). They said I could try the Dept. of Health, which I did. I called them and got a voicemail. I am assuming that the Dept of Health is not anonymous, but who knows. In reality, I guess the anonymity is not 100% crucial, but it would just make me feel better.

What did you mean by blood banks? Something like Cabcorp or Quest? If yes, then don't I need a Drs. scrip? I guess I could get one but then the results would be sent back to him, right?
There are privacy laws anyway. They really cannot share that information with anyone. If you are not testing positive, you have no worries because they cannot even disclose that you have been tested.

woosey
Apr 3rd, 2009, 06:37 PM

if gmhc says that dept has anonymous testing, they probably do.

it's on their website.

http://www.gmhc.org/health/testing/where.html

or do a google search for anonymous hiv testing new york city. i'm sure there are places.