PDA

View Full Version : No Malawi baby for Madonna

spokenword73
Apr 3rd, 2009, 10:41 AM
Malawi offiials have denied Madonna's request to adopt a three year old girl. They say Madonna needs to fulfill the residency requirement before she an adopt.
Why doesn't Madonna build a hospital, school or computer lab in Malawi in addition to trying to adopt?
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5g4Wxukw37tBz-Ycz1eS7Iitk8VtQD97AU1AO0

Scotso
Apr 3rd, 2009, 11:34 AM
Why doesn't Madonna build a hospital, school or computer lab in Malawi in addition to trying to adopt?

I agree. The only possible reason these celebrities have for adopting African children is the press coverage. If they truly care about the people of Africa, they need to work to help improve life in Africa, not just take children to the West and raise them with no sense of their cultural heritage.

tommyk75
Apr 3rd, 2009, 11:43 AM
Wait, I thought Madonna WAS building a girls' academy in Malawi... And I'm a bit confused on the whole residency requirement; how was David adopted if that law was in place? Or is it a brand new rule?

spokenword73
Apr 3rd, 2009, 12:06 PM
Madonna was able to get around the rule ($$$$???) the first time. The judge gave her a break. This judge took a harder line, demanding Madonna live in Malawai for at least a year. Do you think she will move there?

spokenword73
Apr 3rd, 2009, 12:10 PM
I agree. The only possible reason these celebrities have for adopting African children is the press coverage. If they truly care about the people of Africa, they need to work to help improve life in Africa, not just take children to the West and raise them with no sense of their cultural heritage.
Also, the fact that Madonna is now a single parent did not sit well with the judge.
I am sure Madonna's heart is in the right place, but you an't pick out a child and take her home the way you buy a car and drive it away.

madlove
Apr 3rd, 2009, 03:43 PM
good.

CrossCourt~Rally
Apr 3rd, 2009, 04:02 PM
Wait, I thought Madonna WAS building a girls' academy in Malawi... And I'm a bit confused on the whole residency requirement; how was David adopted if that law was in place? Or is it a brand new rule?

Yeah, i thought so aswell :scratch:

Hey, rules are rules ( with her now being a single mom and all ) ...but i think it's in poor taste that the poor girl was basicaly told Madonna was her new mom and has spent what seems like allot of time with Madonna since arriving in Malawi. Maybe there the ones now looking for the press coverage . :sad:

raffles
Apr 3rd, 2009, 04:16 PM
Maybe the government doesn't want all the negative publicity coming towards them on this matter and have got the judge to reject Madonna.

TheBoiledEgg
Apr 3rd, 2009, 04:38 PM
i'd like to see Madonna living 18 months there, lets she if she's that willing now to adopt.
probably she'll come up with some crap

gentenaire
Apr 3rd, 2009, 04:51 PM

Maybe she just wanted another child, you know. And she's too old to have them naturally.
That's still the mean reason people choose to adopt, not to help the country.
I don't get why Madonna keeps on getting bad press for wanting to adopt whereas Angelina Jolie doesn't.

raffles
Apr 3rd, 2009, 04:54 PM
i'd like to see Madonna living 18 months there, lets she if she's that willing now to adopt.
probably she'll come up with some crap

Well of course she's not going to live there, she does have her other kids to think about after all. Anyway, it is strange that they have suddenly changed their mind about enforcing that part of the law.

I think Angelina gets bad press for her rainbow adoptions too but then again I'm not particularly bothered by them. Damn if the kids don't have parents willing and able to look after them, they could do alot worse than living with prancing Hollywood star.

~{X}~
Apr 3rd, 2009, 04:57 PM
Maybe she just wanted another child, you know. And she's too old to have them naturally.
I don't get why Madonna keeps on getting bad press for wanting to adopt whereas Angelina Jolie doesn't.

Cause Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt are the saviors of the world. :rolleyes:

People forget that Angelina Jolie really is a huge bitch herself, always has been, always will be. I mean seriously, she is "too good" and above everyone to do the red carpet press now, bitch please.

Dawn Marie
Apr 3rd, 2009, 05:17 PM
I all for adoption but these DUMB ASS BITCHES need to just go down the street and find their nearest adoption agency here in the STATES! Look in your own backyard and help chidren before you go across the entire globe trying to adopt.

DUMB ASS BITCHES! lol

I like what Mia Farrow did. She helped children and even went to FOSTER CARE.

SO MADONNA AND ANGELINA, you're FIRED! LOL i like them both but am totally for them adopting here instead of across the world.

Infiniti2001
Apr 3rd, 2009, 05:26 PM

Thank you. Adoption is a personal descision. Loving a child who is not your own flesh and blood is in itself selfless and anyone who chooses to adopt should be applauded. No one has the right to dictate where or whom others should/could adopt :rolleyes:

Ciarán
Apr 3rd, 2009, 05:42 PM
kim1

young_gunner913
Apr 3rd, 2009, 06:38 PM
Cause Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt are the saviors of the world. :rolleyes:

People forget that Angelina Jolie really is a huge bitch herself, always has been, always will be. I mean seriously, she is "too good" and above everyone to do the red carpet press now, bitch please.

Someone sounds like a very bitter Jennifer Aniston fan. :p

RFSTB
Apr 3rd, 2009, 07:56 PM
Reminds me of that scene in "Baby Mama", when Tina Fey's character told her mom at the dinner table that she wanted to adopt a baby, her sharp tongue, slightly tipsy mom said, "You're not gonna get a black baby are you? I hate all those Hollywood type, "look at me and my black baby!"". :lol:

raffles
Apr 3rd, 2009, 08:35 PM
Someone sounds like a very bitter Jennifer Aniston fan. :p
:worship: Class.

I find it difficult to believe someone as boring as Aniston actually has fan who care enough to post about her. :lol:

comfortably.numb
Apr 3rd, 2009, 08:52 PM
Cause Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt are the saviors of the world.
The press coverage on them is incredibly annoying. You'd think they invented the cure for cancer or something.

Anyway, Madonna should have been allowed to adopt the child. She was giving an impoverished child countless opportunities and resources, not to mention a home. And the fact that she was allowed to adopt before makes it seem fishy. It probably has something to do with her messy divorce and all the negative press coverage.

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Apr 4th, 2009, 01:14 AM
Madonna has done TONS of things in Malawi - just none of it is touted by her and the press. Schools, community clinics, etc. She has taken a strong liking to the country.

Apoleb
Apr 4th, 2009, 01:20 AM
Adoption shouldn't be confused with philantropy, and I have a problem with the way this whole issue is publicized. The prime reason should be because the parents are in need to raise a child very much like their own and not because they just want to help someone. I doubt that the last part of the statement is the case, but nonetheless, it should be made more clear.

OTOH, I have no problem at all with the ruling. The rules seem reasonable to me, and I think Madonna should conform to them if she wants to adopt a child from there. She can do many other things to help the people.

tommyk75
Apr 4th, 2009, 01:39 AM
I all for adoption but these DUMB ASS BITCHES need to just go down the street and find their nearest adoption agency here in the STATES! Look in your own backyard and help chidren before you go across the entire globe trying to adopt.

DUMB ASS BITCHES! lol

SO MADONNA AND ANGELINA, you're FIRED! LOL i like them both but am totally for them adopting here instead of across the world.

Umm... Just curious, how many babies have you saved from despair??? Helping a baby is helping a baby, American or otherwise.

moby
Apr 4th, 2009, 04:21 AM
Wasn't there another article which stated that the uncles are not happy with the adoption, and would rather have the child stay with them, unless the child is returned to them after her education? The only reason they will let the child go is because she will have a better life with Madonna. If money and opportunities are the motivating factor behind the family giving up the child, then I sympathise with their desire to help the child further her life... but clearly the adoption also amounts to a great emotional sacrifice on the part of the family, and in the long run there may be many regrets.

Madonna will make a good mother, I'm sure. And adopting kids is a great way of helping them. But part of me feels that this is simply another diversion in her life; a mere hobby. If she genuinely wanted the best for this child, she could play the role of a godmother: support the child financially, give her a good education, all the while letting the child remain with her family.

gentenaire
Apr 4th, 2009, 07:20 AM
Wasn't there another article which stated that the uncles are not happy with the adoption, and would rather have the child stay with them,

I'm not really inclined to believe these kind of family members who only show up when there's a wealthy person involved. If they didn't want the child adopted, they wouldn't have put her in an orphanage.

Apoleb is spot on. Adoption is not philantropy, it's just wanting to raise a child. I don't see why Madonna would do this only to get attention. She gets enough attention as it is, she doesn't need more publicity.

sipnsurfMurph
Apr 4th, 2009, 08:40 AM
Gottah smile @ all the folks with a prescription on how a 'Material Girl' should spend her $$$$.

I'm unimpressed with Madonna's celebrity but if she can make life better for the kids in her charge ... how can that possibly be a bad thing? I recognize, and respectfully acknowledge, greater scrutiny on Africa's new wave exodus. Good for Malawi, good for their orphaned charges?

It'd be great, if folks that determine adoption issues focus on making a better life for the hapless orphans.

Politics foils humanity, again.

spokenword73
Apr 4th, 2009, 11:49 AM
Malawi is not saying Madonna can't adopt. They are saying she has to establish residency. This is a reasonable request. Seem to be if Madonna really wants to give this young girl a home, she would do all that is required and stop trying to skirt the system.

Bijoux0021
Apr 4th, 2009, 12:30 PM
I hope she wins the appeal.

Ellen Dawson
Apr 4th, 2009, 12:43 PM
Thank you. Adoption is a personal descision. Loving a child who is not your own flesh and blood is in itself selfless and anyone who chooses to adopt should be applauded. No one has the right to dictate where or whom others should/could adopt :rolleyes:

Agreed.

What I don't comprehend is why not one but two, wealthy high profile female American celebrities don't look to adopt in their own country. I really hope that it isn't the typical arrogant mentality associated with our country where we're convinced that needy, impoverished children only exist in the Third World. :rolleyes:

The Witch-king
Apr 4th, 2009, 03:08 PM
Nhakila Davis - I don't understand what's wrong with adopting from another country. People are people. Does it make a difference if you help a kid in Malawi or in Uganda or Zanzibar or the UK? At the end of the day a life is saved.

I think the ruling is good if it means that the adoption process is tightened and child trafficking is avoided and all that, but I don't think it was fair for those children's rights organisations to refer to Madonna as a bully and saying that her attempted adoption amounted to child trafficking and then have the nerve to say that she should continue plowing her money into that country.

Crazy Canuck
Apr 4th, 2009, 03:53 PM
:worship: Class.

I find it difficult to believe someone as boring as Aniston actually has fan who care enough to post about her. :lol:

This just in: They're all boring.

Seriously, that anybody still is, or ever has argued over this absolutely numbs the mind.

moby
Apr 4th, 2009, 03:57 PM
I'm not really inclined to believe these kind of family members who only show up when there's a wealthy person involved. If they didn't want the child adopted, they wouldn't have put her in an orphanage.

Apoleb is spot on. Adoption is not philantropy, it's just wanting to raise a child. I don't see why Madonna would do this only to get attention. She gets enough attention as it is, she doesn't need more publicity.No, I doubt Madonna is doing this for attention. And I agree that the part in bold is very important. But wanting to raise a child should be necessary and not sufficient criterion is deciding whether a child should be given up for adoption. There are a few more people at play in this situation than Madonna, and while she's got money to pay for the expenses of these other people several lifetimes over, that shouldn't make her voice (that much) stronger and more powerful.

Another one where the grandma speaks out:
http://www.celebitchy.com/43622/madonna_in_malawi_draws_criticism_from_save_the_ch ildren_grandmother_of_mercy_james/
Some of the comments are also interesting.

There are a lot of details in this story we are not getting.
We may label the relatives as cashstrapped opportunists (for that certainly may be the case!), but for now I'm taking a more nuanced and perhaps naive and idealistic approach instead. There are all kinds of reasons why one may put a child up in an orphanage: it could be a temporary measure until the family is financially stable; it could be a way to play the orphanage system to alleviate their burdens while they can; it could be a way to have the child in childcare while the family members (particularly the grandma) get jobs and make money. Those early years can be very time-consuming. And I know those are not the ideal circumstances for a child to grow up in, but so many families do something like that on some level, and they are all victims of circumstance and it is not a good reason to "take" the child away from them. I do not deny that the family sees this as an opportunity to have their cake and eat it: keep the child with them, and have the potential financial support from Madonna. But the fact that money is playing such a big factor into the feasibility or even legitimacy of guardianship/parenthood just makes me very sad.

The grandma claims that she gets the child back when the child is six. Madonna claims that the grandma is incapable of taking care of the child. What does Madonna mean when she says "incapable"? Does she mean that the granda is physically dehabilitated? Or merely poor and unable to provide for?

I echo the thoughts of Jane Moyo, an ActionAid spokeswoman:
"We do not doubt Madonna's good intentions. But, if at all possible, a child should remain in their own family and community."
(http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009/apr/03/madonna-adoption-malawi)

Ellen Dawson
Apr 4th, 2009, 06:50 PM
Nhakila Davis - I don't understand what's wrong with adopting from another country. People are people. Does it make a difference if you help a kid in Malawi or in Uganda or Zanzibar or the UK? At the end of the day a life is saved.

Reeana, point taken but, as an American who truly accepts the country for the fucked up place it really is, I get tired of all the headlining-making aid that goes abroad. I have compassion but it's no picnic for MANY people living here i.e. making my way to my car and seeing a homeless woman and her toddlers/preschoolers begging. Also, I dislike the message that it sends out to the western world, particularly a naive country like my own that believes we're all living so much better than everyone else, that we're smarter, etc, basically that we're "the shit" and the Third World can't do anything without us. :rolleyes:

ce
Apr 4th, 2009, 07:34 PM

:) :yeah:

Dawn Marie
Apr 4th, 2009, 09:06 PM
Bullshit. If you had a family and one of your kids needed a home, would you go across the fucking country to give a third world child a home instead?
I'm all for saving children, but how can you turn the other cheek at what is right under your fucking nose and go above and beyond across the globe???

It's all for STUNT. BULLSHIT!
Take care of your own backyard first before u try to clean up others houses.

GO MIA FARROW.

Veritas
Apr 5th, 2009, 01:15 AM

DUMB ASS BITCHES! lol

Girl u tell it like it is! :lol:

Veritas
Apr 5th, 2009, 01:20 AM
Bullshit. If you had a family and one of your kids needed a home, would you go across the fucking country to give a third world child a home instead?
I'm all for saving children, but how can you turn the other cheek at what is right under your fucking nose and go above and beyond across the globe???

GO MIA FARROW.

Many average people who want a child prefer to adopt one from overseas. The thing is, Madonna has the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ to overstep all that bureaucratic red tape ... well maybe not in this case, but she was close! There's nothing wrong with preferring to help a needy child, no matter which country they're in.

I do agree about questioning Madonna's intentions, whether it's purely for her wanting another child or whether it's another attempt to get press coverage. In the end though, I think it might've been better for her well-being if she had been allowed to live with Madonna.

Scotso
Apr 5th, 2009, 01:55 PM

Some Madonna quotes about her first African adoption:

"I wanted to go into a third world country - I wasn't sure where - and give a life to a child who might not otherwise have had one."

"[Malawi is in] a state of emergency. As far as I'm concerned, the adoption laws have to be changed to suit that state of emergency."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/6085032.stm

I don't buy that getting a child is the only motivation here, and I'm not sure why you'd be trying to sell it. The economic and social problems in Africa are the main reason people adopt from there. Madonna isn't adopting from Malawi because she likes the scenery. If she really cared about the "state of emergency" that Malawi is in, she would try to fix the problem by helping the country rather than removing a few of its citizens.

No one has the right to dictate where or whom others should/could adopt?! Are you serious? You think any random person should just be able to go to a country and pluck a child to bring home? I hope you don't mean that like it sounded, because there definitely needs to be laws protecting the interests of the children.

Scotso
Apr 5th, 2009, 01:59 PM
Agreed.

What I don't comprehend is why not one but two, wealthy high profile female American celebrities don't look to adopt in their own country. I really hope that it isn't the typical arrogant mentality associated with our country where we're convinced that needy, impoverished children only exist in the Third World. :rolleyes:

Madonna would bitchslap you for calling her American. She's British now, can't you tell from her new accent? :help: :p

mandy7
Apr 5th, 2009, 03:42 PM
i love how many ppl hate on madonna for adopting that david kid
i somehow doubt that the kid is complaining about it though :lol:

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Apr 5th, 2009, 05:54 PM
Some Madonna quotes about her first African adoption:

"I wanted to go into a third world country - I wasn't sure where - and give a life to a child who might not otherwise have had one."

"[Malawi is in] a state of emergency. As far as I'm concerned, the adoption laws have to be changed to suit that state of emergency."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/6085032.stm

I don't buy that getting a child is the only motivation here, and I'm not sure why you'd be trying to sell it. The economic and social problems in Africa are the main reason people adopt from there. Madonna isn't adopting from Malawi because she likes the scenery. If she really cared about the "state of emergency" that Malawi is in, she would try to fix the problem by helping the country rather than removing a few of its citizens.

http://www.raisingmalawi.org/

Scotso
Apr 5th, 2009, 06:08 PM
http://www.raisingmalawi.org/

Thanks Joshie. :wavey:

I'll withdraw my condemnation.

RFSTB
Apr 5th, 2009, 09:15 PM

GO MIA FARROW.

Well, it's the same reason I get annoyed at the Gates foundation for spending billions to cure diseases in Africa and India when there are so many children here in foster care who could use a lot more help. At least they are now pouring money into US education.

But as far as domestic adoption, I know that many would be parents are detered from adopting domestically because US law dictates that the birth mother has 2 years to change her mind and take the child back.

Apoleb
Apr 5th, 2009, 09:34 PM
Madonna's objection to the ruling on the basis that Malawi is in a state of emergency is interesting and I think is reasonable.

As for local vs international adoption, the fact is that African children and African people in general live in 10000000x worse condition than American ones or those in the developed world and have a very small fraction of the opportunities available in the US, even though the situation of the latter is far from perfect. If you know you want to raise a child, it's very reasonable to look for the worse hit places if you don't discriminate between African and American lives. I don't see any reason why one "should look in his/her backyard first", unless of course for nationalistic reasons.

Dodoboy.
Apr 5th, 2009, 09:35 PM
I hope she wins the appeal!

Scotso
Apr 6th, 2009, 07:46 AM
Madonna's objection to the ruling on the basis that Malawi is in a state of emergency is interesting and I think is reasonable.

I don't agree. A coutry being in bad shape does not mean that they should just give babies to anyone who wants them without being sure the kids will be safe. Have you ever read about how many children are adopted from the third world to be used as sex slaves? It's horrific.

As for local vs international adoption, the fact is that African children and African people in general live in 10000000x worse condition than American ones or those in the developed world and have a very small fraction of the opportunities available in the US, even though the situation of the latter is far from perfect.

I think you're exaggerating just a bit. :p

While I agree that, generally speaking, people in Africa are much worse off than Americans, there are children suffering everywhere. There are a lot of sick and abused children here in the United States that have it just as bad. I don't think people should just always adopt from their own country, but I think it's dishonest to say that those kids aren't suffering as much.

If you know you want to raise a child, it's very reasonable to look for the worse hit places if you don't discriminate between African and American lives. I don't see any reason why one "should look in his/her backyard first", unless of course for nationalistic reasons.

I don't understand this. What nationalistic reasons? A kid adopted from Africa and raised here is just as American as anyone else. American isn't a "race."

Ellen Dawson
Apr 6th, 2009, 08:40 AM
Madonna would bitchslap you for calling her American. She's British now, can't you tell from her new accent? :help: :p

New?! Honey, Miss Madge has been faking that shit for years. C'mon now. :p ;)

raffles
Apr 6th, 2009, 09:33 AM
Wouldn't Madonna be deemed "too old" to adopt an American kid anyway? I'm sure she would not be allowed to adopt a British kid because of her age, it could well be the same in the US.

There are lots of issues with domestic adoptions, they have a number of requirements and rules that overseas adoptions do not. I wasn't aware of the one about the birth mother having 2 years to change her mind but I'm not surprised.

Scotso
Apr 6th, 2009, 10:22 AM
New?! Honey, Miss Madge has been faking that shit for years. C'mon now. :p ;)

:haha:

Nice. :yeah:

Scotso
Apr 6th, 2009, 10:42 AM
Wouldn't Madonna be deemed "too old" to adopt an American kid anyway? I'm sure she would not be allowed to adopt a British kid because of her age, it could well be the same in the US.

I don't know about the UK, but I don't think we have adoption age limits in the United States(?}. As with other people wanting to adopt, they go through a screening process to see if they will be fit parents. If older persons can demonstrate they have the abiity to take care of the child, I think they're allowed to adopt.

I wasn't aware of the one about the birth mother having 2 years to change her mind but I'm not surprised.

I think that's a horrible policy. If you sign away your baby then you should never get it back (unless the adoptive parents agree to it). I have no idea why people think that a woman should have the right take her child back. A contract's a contract. :shrug: If a child has been living with a for years, clearly they're the real parents.

Sam L
Apr 6th, 2009, 11:05 AM
Malawi offiials have denied Madonna's request to adopt a three year old girl. They say Madonna needs to fulfill the residency requirement before she an adopt.
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5g4Wxukw37tBz-Ycz1eS7Iitk8VtQD97AU1AO0

Yes! Leave the children alone Madonna! :rolleyes: Stupid b!tch.

This is why people like Oprah and Serena Williams are so admirable. They build schools, they improve the lives of entire communities. They don't rob a family of their children.

raffles
Apr 6th, 2009, 01:47 PM
I think that's a horrible policy. If you sign away your baby then you should never get it back (unless the adoptive parents agree to it). I have no idea why people think that a woman should have the right take her child back. A contract's a contract. :shrug: If a child has been living with a for years, clearly they're the real parents.I know isn't it better for a child to be adopted by the family and stay with that family instead of going in and out of care of a mother who apparently saw herself unfit to care for the child in the first place. It's not surprising that with a policy like that some people want to go out of the country to adopt.

spokenword73
Apr 6th, 2009, 01:58 PM
[quote=Sam L;15357408]Yes! Leave the children alone Madonna! :rolleyes: Stupid b!tch.

This is why people like Oprah and Serena Williams are so admirable. They build schools, they improve the lives of entire communities. They don't rob a family of their children.
(Love your sig).
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day; teach a man how to fish and he'll eat for the rest of his life.
Don't just take from Malawi ,Madonna, give something back. Better talk to Angie and Brad and find out the proper way to do foreign adoptions.

Joana
Apr 6th, 2009, 03:30 PM
LOL @ Madonna "stealing" the kid from her family. The girl was in an orphanage, for heaven's sake. If her relatives wanted her to be with them, they wouldn't have put her there in the first place, no matter what excuse or rationalization people may come up with. It's as simple as that.

raffles
Apr 6th, 2009, 04:08 PM
Yeah if the kid was being taken care of by its so called family then it wouldn't be in an orphanage.

Apoleb
Apr 6th, 2009, 04:37 PM
I don't agree. A coutry being in bad shape does not mean that they should just give babies to anyone who wants them without being sure the kids will be safe. Have you ever read about how many children are adopted from the third world to be used as sex slaves? It's horrific.

"giving babies to anyone who wants them" is an exaggeration, and I'm sure that's not what Madonna wants, nor me. (I didn't say I agree with her btw. Just that it's an interesting and reasonable position). If a country is in an emergency situation, then it's reasonable if they make the laws more lenient, possibly decreasing/removing residency requirements, cause that could mean saving a lot more lives. We can't judge on the specific circumstance of course without knowing what kind of emergency Malawi is in and the requirements that could be reduced (and data on threats).

I think you're exaggerating just a bit. :p

While I agree that, generally speaking, people in Africa are much worse off than Americans, there are children suffering everywhere. There are a lot of sick and abused children here in the United States that have it just as bad. I don't think people should just always adopt from their own country, but I think it's dishonest to say that those kids aren't suffering as much.

I generally agree with this, and I never said that some American kids (or in other places in the developped world) aren't suffering as much. However, on average, there are a lot more opportunities in the US (not mention an extremely strong government..etc). Thus, it's reasonable for adopters to look for places such as Africa to adopt. I'm not condemning those who chose to locally adopt, especially in the areas worse hit in the US (ultimately every kid needs a home), but I'm responding to those who think that adopters shouldn't bother with other places, before making their own backyard perfect, or something.

I don't understand this. What nationalistic reasons? A kid adopted from Africa and raised here is just as American as anyone else. American isn't a "race."

No, "American" isn't a race, but there are plenty of Americans who identify themselves as part of certain ethnicites, and thus think those from those certain ethnicities are more worth of care. What other reason could account for such opposition to adopting kids from other places than your country and 'looking in your country first'? We live now in a globalized world, and if you don't discriminate between lives then I think one should look equally everywhere, especially when it comes to saving lives.

Scotso
Apr 6th, 2009, 05:12 PM
If a country is in an emergency situation, then it's reasonable if they make the laws more lenient, possibly decreasing/removing residency requirements, cause that could mean saving a lot more lives.

And it could end up costing a lot more lives. The rules are there for a good reason. Governments need to be sure that adopted children are going to be cared for adequately and that the potential parents (or parent) are not doing this on a whim and then will want to get rid of the child later.

I generally agree with this, and I never said that some American kids (or in other places in the developped world) aren't suffering as much. However, on average, there are a lot more opportunities in the US (not mention an extremely strong government..etc). Thus, it's reasonable for adopters to look for places such as Africa to adopt. I'm not condemning those who chose to locally adopt, especially in the areas worse hit in the US (ultimately every kid needs a home), but I'm responding to those who think that adopters shouldn't bother with other places, before making their own backyard perfect, or something.

But since you admit that there are kids in this country suffering just as much... then why can't I use your own question? What reason do they have for going to another country to adopt a child? I don't know, I'm skeptical. The process is longer here, yes, and can be somewhat intrusive, but I still have to wonder about people's intentions (and why they want no requirements like this). I feel like they have something to hide.

What other reason could account for such opposition to adopting kids from other places than your country and 'looking in your country first'? We live now in a globalized world, and if you don't discriminate between lives then I think one should look equally everywhere, especially when it comes to saving lives.

I'm not the right person to ask, because I haven't said they should.

alfonsojose
Apr 6th, 2009, 06:50 PM
:lol:
http://perezhilton.com/2009-04-06-if-you-are-easily-offended-276#more-49417

Ellen Dawson
Apr 6th, 2009, 08:18 PM
"No, "American" isn't a race, but there are plenty of Americans who identify themselves as part of certain ethnicites, and thus think those from those certain ethnicities are more worth of care. What other reason could account for such opposition to adopting kids from other places than your country and 'looking in your country first'? We live now in a globalized world, and if you don't discriminate between lives then I think one should look equally everywhere, especially when it comes to saving lives.

True AND there are plenty of Americans who can make you feel really shitty just because you weren't born on U.S. soil. Doesn't matter if your first language is American English or that you have no discernible foreign accent, you still were NOT born here so you're not quite American in their (dumbass) eyes. :rolleyes:

spokenword73
Apr 6th, 2009, 11:56 PM
True AND there are plenty of Americans who can make you feel really shitty just because you weren't born on U.S. soil. Doesn't matter if your first language is American English or that you have no discernible foreign accent, you still were NOT born here so you're not quite American in their (dumbass) eyes. :rolleyes:

A lot of people think the only "real" Americans are white. I had a guy from Russia tell me that the two groups who are "true" Americans are whites and blacks. He said people who move to the U.S. from elsewhere and become citizens just don't have the same love of country.
I don't really agree with that but it was an interesting pov.
Off topic: Do other countries have the same rules? Do you take a test to become as citizen?

Sally Struthers
Apr 7th, 2009, 12:02 AM
eh it's the baby's loss. The kid just won the lottery and had it taken away :lol:

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Apr 7th, 2009, 01:09 AM
Yes! Leave the children alone Madonna! :rolleyes: Stupid b!tch.

:eek:

Sam - the kids that Madonna wants to adopt are orphans. Madonna's first (and only so far) adopted baby (David) had a father who abandoned him then came back to get him once Madonna adopted him.

Go to the website I referenced earlier and you will see the schools and other community efforts Madonna has done in Malawi.