PDA

View Full Version : I have found employment...but...

Reuchlin
Apr 2nd, 2009, 05:29 AM
Hi all,
I beat out about 1000 other applicants (law and other students) for a position with top ranked advising firm. But the problem is the following:

1. On my application I made a million mistakes, including misspelling my name :sad: (I spelled it correctly on my actual resume)
2. Misspelling my University's name on my resume.
3. Misspelling Master of Arts(wrote : Matter of Arts)

I start work in September. And while Im sure no one noticed these mistakes through like 4 rounds of interviews in a very competitive processes, I'm worried my manager will think I'm crazy when he realizes this. I don't normally make mistakes like that although, due to the coursework I was doing resumes from 3-5am every night and running on 2 hours of sleep.

Advice?

woosey
Apr 2nd, 2009, 05:41 AM
you already have the job. stop worrying about it. and don't mention it unless they do. otherwise, move on and act like there was no problem.

when i was interviewing, i never pointed out my shortcomings. and i always tried to avoid answering a (negative) question i wasn't asked because their job is to get the information they want to from me. i would not volunteer anything.

just make sure you go back and correct the resume.

woosey
Apr 2nd, 2009, 05:42 AM
but, i find it weird that they would not notice things like this. i would notice. but then, my jobs are writer positions so i need to be careful because i know they will pay attention to little things like commas, periods, etc.

Reuchlin
Apr 2nd, 2009, 05:52 AM
This is a math/writing intensive job too.

In The Zone
Apr 2nd, 2009, 05:54 AM
you already have the job. stop worrying about it. and don't mention it unless they do. otherwise, move on and act like there was no problem.

when i was interviewing, i never pointed out my shortcomings. and i always tried to avoid answering a (negative) question i wasn't asked because their job is to get the information they want to from me. i would not volunteer anything.

just make sure you go back and correct the resume.

Exactly. Don't volunteer anything unless asked.

Reuch, you have the job! No worries.

~CANUCK~
Apr 2nd, 2009, 06:25 AM
How bad were the other 999 potential employee applications if they picked yours and there were errors all over it?

I would really suggest at the very least correcting the spelling of your name as they would most likely set up your employment file with them using that info rather than your resume.

Kuilli
Apr 2nd, 2009, 06:47 AM
As ~CANUCK~ said, make sure that HR has a correct spelling of your name. They usually go by your application, and you said you misspelled it there. Other than that, don't worry about it since you already got the job.

Reuchlin
Apr 2nd, 2009, 06:59 AM
How bad were the other 999 potential employee applications if they picked yours and there were errors all over it?

I would really suggest at the very least correcting the spelling of your name as they would most likely set up your employment file with them using that info rather than your resume.

They were all super qualified over achievers from ivy league schools :help: ( I beat out 35 people from my program alone).

Direwolf
Apr 2nd, 2009, 10:37 PM
what advice do you exactly want that you dont know??

i suggest you go tell youre future boss
that they shouldnt hire you because you are bad in spelling??

:)

congrats man!

drake3781
Apr 2nd, 2009, 11:58 PM
FORGET ABOUT IT!! GO HAVE 3 LARGE MARGARITAS (on the rocks, with salt), a nice dinner with friends, and MOVE ON!!!

Congrats. And stop overthinking everything. ;)

LoveFifteen
Apr 3rd, 2009, 02:18 AM
They probably know about the mistakes, think you have dyslexia or slight mental retardation. and wanted to get the tax break for making an affirmative action hire for someone with a learning disability. :angel::angel::angel:

I wouldn't worry about it! :)

Barrie_Dude
Apr 3rd, 2009, 07:34 PM
Hi all,
I beat out about 1000 other applicants (law and other students) for a position with top ranked advising firm. But the problem is the following:

1. On my application I made a million mistakes, including misspelling my name :sad: (I spelled it correctly on my actual resume)
2. Misspelling my University's name on my resume.
3. Misspelling Master of Arts(wrote : Matter of Arts)

I start work in September. And while Im sure no one noticed these mistakes through like 4 rounds of interviews in a very competitive processes, I'm worried my manager will think I'm crazy when he realizes this. I don't normally make mistakes like that although, due to the coursework I was doing resumes from 3-5am every night and running on 2 hours of sleep.

Advice?
Do you think that there are other reasons that you have the job that have nothing to do with your spelling? Perhaps you deserve the job based on your qualifications? Have some faith in yourself! Believe that you can do this!