PDA

View Full Version : What does your finger length ratio (2nd n' 4th) mean?

only_one_maria
Apr 1st, 2009, 01:47 PM
Apparently the ratio of your finger lengths is a good guide to the level of testosterone in your body. The second and fourth fingers, that is. A lot of people think they are the same length, but actually there can be about a 10% difference. Most men have longer ring fingers than index fingers - in women they're about the same length on average. That's because men have more testosterone. Interestingly when you measure the fingers of sportstars their ratio (index divided by ring finger) is often very low, say 0.93, even for female athletes.

I measured my own and it came out 1.05, which suggests I'm an ultra-feminine man and yes, useless at sports :)

In the UK the average for men is 0.97 - 0.98 and for women it's 1.00

only_one_maria
Apr 2nd, 2009, 02:14 PM
BUMP

I'm sorry but this is too good a thread to disappear.

Monica_Rules
Apr 2nd, 2009, 02:53 PM
Its not the level of testosterone in your body, its the level of terosterone you were exposed to whilst in the womb. As you fingers don't grow much when your an adult.

I'm not sure which one is which but one is meant to mean your very musical/ good at maths.

Sam L
Apr 2nd, 2009, 03:13 PM
Its not the level of testosterone in your body, its the level of terosterone you were exposed to whilst in the womb. As you fingers don't grow much when your an adult.

Yeah this is right. I have around 0.90. My ring finger is quite long.

raffles
Apr 2nd, 2009, 03:24 PM
I thought it was gay thing....the L Word lied to me! Imagine that! Seriously is this supposed to suggest higher terosterone levels for female athletes. Thank god nobody measured Marion Jones fingers.

miffedmax
Apr 2nd, 2009, 04:54 PM
I thought I'd read somewhere this study was fairly controversial and the results hadn't entirely held up under follow up studies.

I should be the jock of the universe in theory, and I suck at most sports (although I do enjoy playing soccer and tennis a lot).

moby
Apr 2nd, 2009, 08:07 PM
0.93 for me. I feel so masculine now. All kinds of correlations have been read into this. I've seen two contradictory ones on the same webiste before.

Harvs
Apr 2nd, 2009, 09:27 PM

Direwolf
Apr 2nd, 2009, 10:12 PM
ive watched it in bbc...

it just basically says whethere youre more
gay or straight hahaha

gentenaire
Apr 2nd, 2009, 10:18 PM
I must have been exposed to a lot of testosterone as my ring finger is significantly longer. Ratio: 0,91 on my left hand, 0.93 on my right.

I'm a math geek, can parallel park, but I'm not a lesbian.

Oizo
Apr 2nd, 2009, 10:52 PM
And what means if you have on the right hand 0,94 and on the left hand 1,07 :lol:

Sean.
Apr 3rd, 2009, 01:41 AM
And what means if you have on the right hand 0,94 and on the left hand 1,07 :lol:

Means your deformed :angel::p

In The Zone
Apr 3rd, 2009, 05:03 AM

I have something similar. :lol: The left hand is pretty even but on the right, the ring finger is noticeably longer. Weird. So I'm masculine and feminine? Tell me something I didn't already know.

drake3781
Apr 3rd, 2009, 05:14 AM
I did not measure, but a visual measure and calculation results in:

Right Hand: about 1.01.
Left Hand: about 1.08.

I am right-handed.

I am female. What does it tell us?

hectopascal
Apr 3rd, 2009, 02:26 PM
I'm male.
When I put my hands down on a table so that I'm looking at the ventral side (plam) my index finger is longer (about 1.1 ratio).
When I do the same on the dorsal side, my ring finger is longer (about 1.07 ratio).
So I'm confused......

Sam L
Apr 7th, 2009, 11:43 AM
ive watched it in bbc...

it just basically says whethere youre more
gay or straight hahaha
I don't know about gay or straight but I've read that it gives an indication to fertility. Good news for me. :drool:

Also, I don't know about sports per se, but perhaps it's about competitiveness for those with a lower ratio.