PDA

View Full Version : Ana's greatest win

AnaIvanovic373
Mar 31st, 2009, 11:52 AM
Every win is special but what is Ana's greatest win? Im thinking Roland Garros final

Davodus
Mar 31st, 2009, 01:50 PM
that was her best win title wise obviously, but other matches have been better wins IMO..not too sure which
maybe sharapova F0 07 semi :p or jankovic 08 semi

SOA_MC
Mar 31st, 2009, 02:39 PM
Honourable mention to but not my personal favorite - Vaidisova @ Wimbledon 07 QF saving 3 match points

What happen to that Ana :bigcry:

gaviotabr
Mar 31st, 2009, 02:56 PM
Honourable mention to but not my personal favorite - Vaidisova @ Wimbledon 07 QF saving 3 match points

What happen to that Ana :bigcry:

In that match Ana was able to win the second and the third sets.. :sobbing: Where are you real Ana? :sobbing:

gaviotabr
Mar 31st, 2009, 02:57 PM
Obviously Ana's best win, title wise, was the Roland Garros final. I think her best win, confidence wise and opponent wise, was beating Venus at AO 08. Ana had never even taken a set off of Venus in their 4 previous encounters, and managed to beat her in straight sets in Melbourne. I'm pretty sure that win was very important for Ana's confidence.

spiritedenergy
Mar 31st, 2009, 04:06 PM
I've been an Ana's fan since RG 2007, but i started following her really just in Fall 2007... so I didn't witness what is probably the most exciting moment of her career so far. But for me the best win was probably Hantuchova in AO 2008, she was just made of steel and determination in that match:worship:

gaviotabr
Mar 31st, 2009, 04:17 PM
I've been an Ana's fan since RG 2007, but i started following her really just in Fall 2007... so I didn't witness what is probably the most exciting moment of her career so far. But for me the best win was probably Hantuchova in AO 2008, she was just made of steel and determination in that match:worship:

That match against Hantuchova was so awesome. I remember I stayed up until 5am. watching it, and when it was over, I was sooo pumped up I couldn't sleep.. I was like jumping up and down in my room, hoping I wouldn't wake up anyone...:lol:

In that match Ana was also able to win the second and third sets.. she was so strong, she just kept going and never gave up. Where is this Ana? I can't take anymore third sets mental walkabouts...:sobbing:

gaviotabr
Mar 31st, 2009, 04:19 PM
I think Ana's best win, performance wise, was probably against Schnyder in Stuttgart 2007. Ana was almost flawless in that match.

spiritedenergy
Mar 31st, 2009, 04:22 PM
That match against Hantuchova was so awesome. I remember I stayed up until 5am. watching it, and when it was over, I was sooo pumped up I couldn't sleep.. I was like jumping up and down in my room, hoping I wouldn't wake up anyone...:lol:

In that match Ana was also able to win the second and third sets.. she was so strong, she just kept going and never gave up. Where is this Ana? I can't take anymore third sets mental walkabouts...:sobbing:

:rolls:
I don't even remember whether i watched it live or on livestream... but I was so shocked that she won after that deficit:eek: She was just so self-confident (a little part of it was probably due to fact that she knew Hantuchova would choke sooner or later:secret:)

The Daviator
Mar 31st, 2009, 04:28 PM
Two stick out in my mind -

Venus at AO - To beat a Williams sister in straight sets in a GS QF is an amazing achievement :worship:

Safina at RG - It was a GS final, and she played brilliantly, mentally, tactically, she was hitting winners all over the place and the win was never in doubt.

jelenacg
Mar 31st, 2009, 04:29 PM
I think Ana's best win, performance wise, was probably against Schnyder in Stuttgart 2007. Ana was almost flawless in that match.

Is that the match where first set lasted something like 15 minutes :lol:
AO against Hantuchova was :worship::worship:
I watched it with my bother ,that match started at 5 am here and we ended up waking up our mother bc we cheered so loudly for Ana during third set :lol:
My favorite win was against Moresmo in RG

The Daviator
Mar 31st, 2009, 04:34 PM
And the beatdown of Sharapova at RG, how could I forget :lol:

gaviotabr
Mar 31st, 2009, 04:54 PM
:rolls:
I don't even remember whether i watched it live or on livestream... but I was so shocked that she won after that deficit:eek: She was just so self-confident (a little part of it was probably due to fact that she knew Hantuchova would choke sooner or later:secret:)

:lol:

She was self-confident, but also strong in these situations.. From Amelia Island 2007 to Wimbledon 2008, Ana played 25 3 set matches, winning 21. Out of these 21, 9 were come from behind wins. Out of the 4 3 setters she lost, in only 1 Ana had won the first set. Very solid numbers.

From Montreal 08 to Miami 09, Ana played 14 3 set matches, winning only 5. Out of this 5, only 1 was a come from behind win, against Vinci in Brisbane. Out of the matches she lost, only 1 was a come from behind loss, against Cibulkova in Moscow.. all the others Ana had lost the first set, recovered in the second and completely gone away in the third. Weak numbers.

Ana has lost some mental edge along the way somehow.. it's pretty obvious from the stats. I'm sure she would have lost that match to Hantuchova if it was played today, as Ana wouldn't have allowed or given time (and balls into the court) for Hantuchova to choke.

spiritedenergy
Mar 31st, 2009, 10:09 PM
:lol:

She was self-confident, but also strong in these situations.. From Amelia Island 2007 to Wimbledon 2008, Ana played 25 3 set matches, winning 21. Out of these 21, 9 were come from behind wins. Out of the 4 3 setters she lost, in only 1 Ana had won the first set. Very solid numbers.

From Montreal 08 to Miami 09, Ana played 14 3 set matches, winning only 5. Out of this 5, only 1 was a come from behind win, against Vinci in Brisbane. Out of the matches she lost, only 1 was a come from behind loss, against Cibulkova in Moscow.. all the others Ana had lost the first set, recovered in the second and completely gone away in the third. Weak numbers.

Ana has lost some mental edge along the way somehow.. it's pretty obvious from the stats. I'm sure she would have lost that match to Hantuchova if it was played today, as Ana wouldn't have allowed or given time (and balls into the court) for Hantuchova to choke.

She did lost her mental edge, she used to pretty much own the current top 10 except the Williams sisters and Dementieva and she could challenge Sharapova. Now it's like she was re-attracted into the mental mess of WTA at the moment, she used to be not as tough as the Williams and Sharapova but right behind them... Hopefully that Ana can come back:o

gaviotabr
Mar 31st, 2009, 10:32 PM
She did lost her mental edge, she used to pretty much own the current top 10 except the Williams sisters and Dementieva and she could challenge Sharapova. Now it's like she was re-attracted into the mental mess of WTA at the moment, she used to be not as tough as the Williams and Sharapova but right behind them... Hopefully that Ana can come back:o

I want tough Ana back! :sobbing:

Ana has lost her last 4 matches against top 10 players. I can't believe Ana lost twice in a row to Zvonareva.. :sobbing::help:

I think the injury, the timing of the injury and the bad losses really messed up with her head.. :sad:

jelenacg
Mar 31st, 2009, 10:43 PM
I want tough Ana back! :sobbing:

Ana has lost her last 4 matches against top 10 players. I can't believe Ana lost twice in a row to Zvonareva.. :sobbing::help:

I think the injury, the timing of the injury and the bad losses really messed up with her head.. :sad:

Izzy :hug:
I`m sure Ana will beat her the next time they play
When she isn`t playing well you can`t expect her to beat top players and the same goes with the three setters win
When she had that good score in three setters win she was playing well

gaviotabr
Mar 31st, 2009, 10:56 PM
Izzy :hug:
I`m sure Ana will beat her the next time they play
When she isn`t playing well you can`t expect her to beat top players and the same goes with the three setters win
When she had that good score in three setters win she was playing well

I actually believe Ana has trouble with her concentration.. sometimes she loses focus from match to match, from set to set, from game to game and even from point to point. She has that since she came up though.. playing well or not.. she always had this fluctuations during tournaments or even during matches. I believe this prevents her from getting any consistency. One great example of that is the RG semi against JJ. Ana had a total mental walkabout in the second set, losing 7 games in a row with errors and more errors. As soon as she was able to focus agains, she unleashed winner after winner. Luckly she was able to focus in time to turn the match around and win. And that was when she was playing really well, maybe the best tennis of her life so far. But in the slump these concentration issues have increased considerably and most of the times she just can't recover in time or doesn't recover her focus at all. When Ana isn't concentrated she sprays the ball everywhere but on court.

The 3 sets stats have much more to do with Ana's mental toughness and focus than with her level of play, since she was losing 3 setters to people she would beat in 2 if she was actually playing well. She just wasn't able to stay tough and present in the match at clutch time. She needs to work on that ASAP, as these kind of issues only tend to get worse if you don't do anything about it.

gaviotabr
Mar 31st, 2009, 11:02 PM
I'm trying to find solace in the fact that Ana has admited that Kardon and her talked about it and agreed that the main issue in her loss to Szavay was the fact that she wasn't really mentally into the match. Acknowledging the problem is the first step to solve it. So I hope they are working on that and next time she doesn't get ahead of herself and just focus on each match... apart from doing something to keep her concentration and mental toughness in the third set.

jelenacg
Mar 31st, 2009, 11:10 PM
I agree that she is sometimes less focused during games but it`s not like she is Nadal who plays in the same level every minute of the match
So like you said she always had that ,nothing new
Also there is the problem with her serve who abandoned her many times and she is the type of player who needs a good serve(Can you imagine Serena,Venus or Sveta ,Maria without the reliable serve)
I really think that we can`t blame just her focus for this three setters score
I would say focus,serve and confidence all together are to blame for this

gaviotabr
Mar 31st, 2009, 11:24 PM
I agree that she is sometimes less focused during games but it`s not like she is Nadal who plays in the same level every minute of the match
So like you said she always had that ,nothing new
Also there is the problem with her serve who abandoned her many times and she is the type of player who needs a good serve(Can you imagine Serena,Venus or Sveta ,Maria without the reliable serve)
I really think that we can`t blame just her focus for this three setters score
I would say focus,serve and confidence all together are to blame for this

I think regarding the slump, yes.. not all of it was about focus. But the 3 setters I would say 90% of it was about losing focus on the important points, or simply not showing up mentally to play in third sets. In tight matches Jelena, what makes the difference between a win or a loss is mostly how focused and how mentally into the match the player is, as it's all about finding a way to win a few key points. Ana used to find that way to win most of the times, as her 3 set stats prove. Now she doesnt.. it's clear that she lost some mental edge at some point last year. I know Ana will never be Nadal like, and I would never demand this from her.. but if she wants to be a better player and achieve consistent results sometime in her career, as she says she wants, she will have to improve her mental game a LOT. And as I said, from what she stated in her presser, they are starting to see it. Hopefully they will work on it.

I do agree with you about the serve though. Without her serve, all areas of Ana's game suffers. But I also think this is related to her mental state. When she is nervous or anxious her ball toss is even crazier than normal (aka RG final 07) and her serve goes completely away. When she is focused, she serves well even with the toss going all over the place (examples: vs Kleybanova in Dubai and vs Pavlyuchenkova in Indian Wells).

jelenacg
Mar 31st, 2009, 11:47 PM
Yes you are right:)
And to add that old Ana also had the most important thing and that is confidence (just take a look at Verdasco :rolleyes: and see what confidence can do )
To tell you the true i`m very very surprised how easy is for a tennis player to lose confidence
After watching Ana last season and now JJ i`m shocked :help::help:

gaviotabr
Mar 31st, 2009, 11:54 PM
Yes you are right:)
And to add that old Ana also had the most important thing and that is confidence (just take a look at Verdasco :rolleyes: and see what confidence can do )
To tell you the true i`m very very surprised how easy is for a tennis player to lose confidence
After watching Ana last season and now JJ i`m shocked :help::help:

Yes.. confidence is extremely important.. and it might take a lot of time and matches to get confident.. but a player can lose it in a second.

This is curious though.. Ana said in her presser that she was extremely confident, and that made her get ahead of herself and when things didn't come as easily as she was expecting, she got down on herself and lost focus. So, even though confidence is really important for any player, it's even more important to keep concentrated and block frustrations. Maybe because that way you avoid losing the confidence you managed to build with hard work.

jelenacg
Apr 1st, 2009, 12:13 AM
It`s not the first time she has done it
I remember reading the similar thing about AO/RG final as well
She also said then that she was thinking in advance...
I guess the good thing is that she actually opened in this press conference and talked about some issues she has
She has never done it before so i think that can only be a good thing and i hope that means they are actually doing something about it

gaviotabr
Apr 1st, 2009, 12:29 AM
It`s not the first time she has done it
I remember reading the similar thing about AO/RG final as well
I guess the good thing is that she actually opened in this press conference and talked about some issues she has
She has never done it before so i think that can only be a good thing and i hope that means they are actually doing something about it

I also hope so... I'll give them a few months working it out to see if there are results.. It's really important to do something about it ASAP, as these things don't get better on their own.

bruce goose
Apr 1st, 2009, 01:07 AM
She has never done it before so i think that can only be a good thing and i hope that means they are actually doing something about itYou need not reply to this,Jelena;you can simply ignore these comments as your kindred spirit and sister Ana fan,my favorite poster,does so often:sad:....

Real quickly,you referred to Ana's serve as 'who' in a previous post;you'd say 'which' or 'that' b/c 'who' only pertains to people or animals....

In re Ana,I totally agree with you that folks are focusing too much on wins and losses instead of recognizing that Ana is fINALLY owning up to her failures of concentration.As Izzy mentioned,ADMITTING to a problem is the first step in solving it.Ana would've NEVER had a chance to get past this barrier until she finally was honest with herSELF...and it's kinda nice for her fans to see this mea culpa also;)...makes me hopeful:)

jonnyroyale_13
Apr 1st, 2009, 03:46 AM
Importance wise, Ana's greatest single win was over Sharapova to reach her first RG final. Her career entered a new chapter with the win and getting the opportunity to play in a grandslam final. In hindsight, we can say she started building the momentum in Berlin, but reaching the final of RG was the one that took the expectations to the next level.
My favorite wins mostly have the number 2007 at the front. So many favorites from then, i think its why i can never give up on her. That summer to the end of the year is something ill never forget. In 2008 the Jankovic SF easily the greatest. Still waiting for a favorite from after that match.:lol::sobbing:

DownTheLine21
Apr 1st, 2009, 03:48 AM
What is going on? How has no one mentioned one of Ana's greatest victories?

2007 LA SF: Ivanovic def. Jankovic 4-6 6-3 7-5

Amazing victory. Ana showed incredible mental strength as she played fearless tennis to come from behind, fight off match points, and eventually prevail. Unforgettable.