PDA

View Full Version : Madonna adoption row

Sam L
Mar 30th, 2009, 11:17 AM
THE family of Mercy James, the four-year-old Malawian girl who pop star Madonna wants to adopt, say they did not want her to go.
Her uncles, who live in a remote rural area and are her closest relatives, said they had no idea who Madonna was.
The singer has an appointment with a judge in Malawi (http://www.malawi.gov.mw/)today in the hope that the adoption papers will be signed.
But the uncles said they would agree only if Mercy was returned to them once she had completed her education and had a career.
Madonna was expected to arrive in Malawi yesterday.
The uncles have been persuaded over two years since Madonna first fell in love with the girl at the Kondanani children's village that giving Mercy up for adoption would be in her best interests.
But the child's family said they had been given no clear idea of what the future would hold for Mercy, whose mother died at 18, five days after giving birth to her, and whose father cannot be traced.
Mercy's uncles, Peter Baneti and John Ngalande, cannot read or write but will attend the court hearing in Lilongwe, Malawi's capital, which is a five-hour trip from their home.
Mr Baneti, a fisherman, said: "We never wanted to let Mercy go. She is part of our extended family and our culture.
"My mother, my brother and I all said no three times to the orphanage, which was pressing us on Madonna's behalf.
"Now we have been persuaded that Mercy can have a better, healthier life somewhere else in the world with this rich white woman."
Mercy would be the second child Madonna, 50, has adopted from Malawi.
But Save the Children has urged her to reconsider.
Spokesman Dominic Nutt said: "It is vital, we say, that children should be cared for in their own environment by their own community, ideally by their own family.
"The thing to do is to support the community, the local agencies and the charities who can look after the child."

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,25259587-5012751,00.html

She wants a toy, not a child. How about helping the entire community Madonna? :help:

mandy7
Mar 30th, 2009, 11:26 AM
Poor kid..
I also feel for the boy she adopted a few years ago
he seems so sad and unhappy
/sarcasm

Philbo
Mar 30th, 2009, 11:26 AM
What makes you think she wants a Toy not a child? I think thats a bit unfair. I think she'd be a very good mother.

Michael!
Mar 30th, 2009, 11:31 AM
It isn´t allowed actually, now tha she lives alone and is divorced...
But she is Madonna bitch, she can do everything :rolleyes:

Beat
Mar 30th, 2009, 11:33 AM
this celebrity-adoption-frenzy is really pathetic and sad, especially when you know how difficult and complicated and time-consuming it is for a normal couple to get an adopted child. madonna is 50 years old and just got divorced, for god's sake! i guess that's what happens when you completely lose touch with reality.

The Witch-king
Jun 13th, 2009, 07:36 PM
Ok i cant find the original thread but do you know the adoption appeal was granted? Someone post an article please. I can't right now.

mirzalover
Jun 13th, 2009, 07:45 PM
I really dont see the problem with her adopting a kid. They need homes and she seems to be a good mother so far.

~{X}~
Jun 13th, 2009, 07:48 PM
Her children all seem to be enjoying themselves and living a good life, albeit she is a strict mother with some of her practices, she is providing them with a good life.

She doesn't need to be married to be a good mother, besides it doesn't hurt if your net worth is over $850 million either. :D

Joana
Jun 13th, 2009, 10:44 PM
The kid will have SUCH a horrible and difficult life now that she's out of orphanage. :bigcry:

Kart
Jun 13th, 2009, 11:34 PM
This child has no parents and is living in an orphanage.

If Madonna can provide her with a loving, stable home, I think the adoption is a good thing.

Wigglytuff
Jun 14th, 2009, 05:25 AM
what, how can she adopt a kid over the families wishes? isnt that wrong? certainly in america we would not let donald trump walk into a working class community and take a child against the families wishes just because he is rich, so why is this ok

Sam L
Jun 14th, 2009, 05:30 AM
This child has no parents and is living in an orphanage.

If Madonna can provide her with a loving, stable home, I think the adoption is a good thing.
Well that child is not the only one in that situation? Why not build schools, provide healthcare or other community initiatives to help many children and their families?

"A loving, stable home" is a matter of opinion. Madonna has a lot of money sure but money only cannot provide a loving, stable home. All we know is that Madonna has a lot of money. That's all.

The Witch-king
Jun 14th, 2009, 12:05 PM
Have you heard of raisingmalawi.org that's Madonna's organisation which she personally funds for building orphanages and schools in Malawi.
Also i don't think it's in any of our place to judge what sort of mother she is or will be as none of us know her personally. Leave that to the social workers involved in the adoption.

Infiniti2001
Jun 14th, 2009, 01:13 PM
Well that child is not the only one in that situation? Why not build schools, provide healthcare or other community initiatives to help many children and their families?

"A loving, stable home" is a matter of opinion. Madonna has a lot of money sure but money only cannot provide a loving, stable home. All we know is that Madonna has a lot of money. That's all.

https://www.raisingmalawi.org/whoweare09.php

Wigglytuff
Jun 14th, 2009, 01:45 PM
https://www.raisingmalawi.org/whoweare09.php

i didnt get an answer to to my question, but really people need to think about it. if bill gates wanted to adopt your young niece or nephew, certainly, all the same arguments apply, he has the money and the means to provide better life, he has given millions to philanthropy and so therefore he should have the right to take your niece or nephew from your family as an "adoption".

The Witch-king
Jun 14th, 2009, 01:59 PM
i didnt get an answer to to my question, but really people need to think about it. if bill gates wanted to adopt your young niece or nephew, certainly, all the same arguments apply, he has the money and the means to provide better life, he has given millions to philanthropy and so therefore he should have the right to take your niece or nephew from your family as an "adoption".

are you familiar with the exact details of that child's family/relatives and the extent to which they are willing to look after her? I know i'm not.
Anyway if i had dumped my niece in an orphanage because i was unwilling/unable to look after her i think i would be ok with someone with more money taking her in as their child provided the motives and ability to look after the child were there

Kart
Jun 14th, 2009, 02:12 PM

Madonna is not obligated to do anything to help them :shrug:. If she wants to look after one child then I have no problem with it, it's better than doing nothing at all.

Regarding her abilities as a parent, I have no idea about them - however, one would assume that she's presented adequate evidence of her competency in her adoption application otherwise it would not have been granted.

Which would surely be no more or less than anyone else that wanted to adopt (?)

Kart
Jun 14th, 2009, 02:17 PM

I tend to agree with your point - it's not clear to me if this girl is being cared for by her uncles or if she has been lodged in an orphanage because they can't or won't care for her.

If it's the latter, I would have thought their opinions on the matter would carry less weight considering they've already entrusted her welfare to someone else.

Wigglytuff
Jun 14th, 2009, 02:19 PM
are you familiar with the exact details of that child's family/relatives and the extent to which they are willing to look after her? I know i'm not.
Anyway if i had dumped my niece in an orphanage because i was unwilling/unable to look after her i think i would be ok with someone with more money taking her in as their child provided the motives and ability to look after the child were there

1- its funny how on the one hand you admit that you dont know anything about the families situation or what the details are, but seconds later you judge and invent reasons for their actions.

2- in truth you dont know what is going on, other than that the family disapproves. which goes back to my main point

3- is someone wanted to adopt a child in the US and the family disapproved, the case would go to court (as it has in malawi) and the judge would decide (as has happened) but for someone who is international and has wants to take the child away to another nation against the families wishes their would be nationwide outrage.

4- personally i think the only reason people are defending madonna on this is that she is a rich white woman trying to adopt a poor black child against the families wishes. who cares what poor africans think even about their own families, we here, know better what is best for them collectively and as individuals.

5- i know it can be hard in cases like this but people need to set aside the race and class issues that they have and consider the basics: a woman wants to take a child away from his family to another country forever AGAINST the family's wishes.

Joana
Jun 14th, 2009, 03:40 PM

If I put my niece or nephew in orphanage I certainly would have no right to object to Bill Gates taking him/her away.

The Witch-king
Jun 14th, 2009, 03:59 PM
1- its funny how on the one hand you admit that you dont know anything about the families situation or what the details are, but seconds later you judge and invent reasons for their actions.

2- in truth you dont know what is going on, other than that the family disapproves. which goes back to my main point

3- is someone wanted to adopt a child in the US and the family disapproved, the case would go to court (as it has in malawi) and the judge would decide (as has happened) but for someone who is international and has wants to take the child away to another nation against the families wishes their would be nationwide outrage.

4- personally i think the only reason people are defending madonna on this is that she is a rich white woman trying to adopt a poor black child against the families wishes. who cares what poor africans think even about their own families, we here, know better what is best for them collectively and as individuals.

5- i know it can be hard in cases like this but people need to set aside the race and class issues that they have and consider the basics: a woman wants to take a child away from his family to another country forever AGAINST the family's wishes.

oh wow you are being rather presumptuos. My point was this- do YOU know how willing the girls family is for Madonna to adopt her? I've read all sort of conflicting articles about uncles saying yes and some guy who claimed to be the father saying no... But then it was disputed whether he is the father. It's all very confusing and the sensationalist media doesn't help by printing every little rumour.
I just feel like if you don't know things for a fact why waste your time criticising?
Anyway i personally don't look at this issue from a western perspective as i'm African living in Africa. I think i'd feel the same way if it were a person from Zambia attempting to adopt from Malawi. I also have a theory that the reason adopted african children are labelled as celebrity 'accessories' by the media is due to a perception of Africans as inferior ...

Dave.
Jun 14th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Have you heard of raisingmalawi.org that's Madonna's organisation which she personally funds for building orphanages and schools in Malawi.
Also i don't think it's in any of our place to judge what sort of mother she is or will be as none of us know her personally. Leave that to the social workers involved in the adoption.

:yeah:

The Dawntreader
Jun 14th, 2009, 06:17 PM
I'm not a fan of celebrities flaunting their wealth and 'contacts' to pretty much grab and take whatever they want. Especially a celebrity as crass as Madonna:o

That said, i welcome adoption, especially children in dire need. It's clear though that this probably helps Madonna more than the child, which is a totally repugnant conclusion in my eyes.

Children becoming commodities is increasing.

Wiggly
Jun 14th, 2009, 06:38 PM
The only thing that is worrying me is Madonna's age. She's 50.

I mean, you don't want to be 70 years old when your kids are 20.

Just Do It
Jun 14th, 2009, 07:15 PM
I think it is kinda too much. Adopt me, Madonna :shrug: