PDA

View Full Version : TV Help HD vs Plasma?

Peter M
Mar 28th, 2009, 11:28 PM
I am in the market for a new TV. I Problem is: I know very little about TVs. My TV right now is a very large TV (62'') but I bought it literally 10 years ago. The thing is so damn big and bulky. I know that there have been some great improvements in TVs in the past few years but, frankly, I know very little about them. I lear about HD TVs and plasma TVs and I don't even know what the differences are or which one is better.

Can someone please help me with respect to great TVs these days, ie, where I should look to purchase them, what types to look into and what the pros and cons of the TV you suggest are.
I really appreciate all the help that you can give me.

Mattographer
Mar 28th, 2009, 11:41 PM
http://www.cnet.com.au/tvs/0,239035250,240036500,00.htm

WowWow
Mar 29th, 2009, 06:38 AM
I prefer the colours on plasma but they say many companies are about to discontinue it.
I don't what you mean by HD? Plasma IS HD.

RFSTB
Mar 29th, 2009, 06:54 AM
If you are looking at flat screen TV's, there are basically 2 types, Plasma's vs. LCD(or DLP). Plasma's are very bright, and can be seen from all angles. LCD's tend to have a smaller viewing angle. So if you need to watch from an angle, either from the side or below, it won't look as good (much darker). Make sure you check the angles if you want to buy an LCD. Both Plasma's and LCD's come in HD. LCD and DLP are basically the same. DLP is Samsung's version of LCD.

There are 2 types of HD, 1080i(720p) or 1080p(true HD). 1080p tend to be quite a bit more expensive. Unless you do a lot of High Def movie viewing, I think 1080i is more than adequate. But if cost is no object, go for the 1080p. They've come down a lot in price.

The best brand for Plasma is Panasonic. The best brand for LCD is probably Samsung. We have 2 Panasonic Plasmas, a 42", a 50". Love them both. We also have a 37" Sharp Aquos LCD. Like it OK. LCD's weigh about half as much as plasma's. We bought them all online. Much cheaper.

Good luck and let me know if you have other questions.