PDA

View Full Version : "Gay cure" therapies still used in UK

korben
Mar 26th, 2009, 04:20 AM
http://www.reuters.com/article/lifestyleMolt/idUSTRE52P01120090326

LONDON (Reuters Life!) - A sixth of British therapists said they had tried to help gay, bisexual and lesbian patients become heterosexual, even though evidence suggests such therapies can be harmful, according to a survey released on Thursday.

Way to go Britain! Before PC madness, they gave us Monty Python :D
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzlkvI9EZeA)

Marshmallow
Mar 26th, 2009, 02:26 PM
How is this PC Madness?

This is as clear an illustration as any of how limited the gay (rights… more like acceptance) movement has been in terms of effectiveness. When you still have people seeking out this sort of therapy in the first place, you know that there’s a bit of a way to go.

Olórin
Mar 26th, 2009, 04:21 PM
This has nothing whatsoever to do with political correctness :shrug:

It's about education. Some people are simply ignorant about what homosexuality (male and female) actually is.

Barrie_Dude
Mar 26th, 2009, 04:36 PM
We should send Christiian! :haha:

Kart
Mar 26th, 2009, 05:44 PM
A better point to focus on would be the fact that people are still seeking therapy on account of homosexuality.

The UK isn't quite as tolerant as it would like to make out but then again, it's better than a lot of other places.

raffles
Mar 28th, 2009, 01:55 PM
Yes why are these people seeking therapy anyway? Is it really on account of being gay or the pressure put on them by their families dissaproval? A friend of mine came out to his father and the father suggested they both go to therapy together, he refuesed as he didn't think he had any problem and he probably suspected his religious fathers motives. So the father went on his own, and I think he's vaguely okay about his son being gay now. So maybe it's the bigoted relatives of the gay people that need to be in therapy instead.

moby
Mar 28th, 2009, 02:36 PM
Yes why are these people seeking therapy anyway? Is it really on account of being gay or the pressure put on them by their families dissaproval?The PC answer is societal pressure, and indeed if you cared to trace back the roots of gay insecurity, that's where you would arrive at. But the formulation of you question suggests a clear dichotomy between the self and the society, which is simply not the case. Even if you could expunge society's existing anti-homosexual sentiments with a magic wand, the many many years that a gay person has been imbibing these sentiments and learning to "hate" himself will not go away. Many gay people probably struggle with an inferiority complex with regard to their sexuality, even those who are out. I know I do. :shrug:

Mattographer
Mar 28th, 2009, 05:11 PM
Why can't they just test on straight people to get cure and be gay or lesbian? Oh wait, they're, like, normal :rolleyes:

raffles
Mar 29th, 2009, 12:47 AM
Why can't they just test on straight people to get cure and be gay or lesbian? Oh wait, they're, like, normal :rolleyes:

Excellent idea. I am going to write to the NHS on this matter.

kai.
Mar 29th, 2009, 09:14 AM
I always thought than the therapists are freaking idiots..
i think this note confirms my hypothesis..

~{X}~
Mar 29th, 2009, 10:54 AM
We should send Christiian! :haha:

You bitch. :o

Nothing will cure me, nothing is wrong with me! :angel:

Scotso
Mar 29th, 2009, 04:58 PM
http://discovermagazine.com/2005/mar/reviews/reviews-lobotomy.jpg

partbrit
Mar 29th, 2009, 06:02 PM
Gay "cures" are still used in the U.S., too. Recently, there was some deserved controversy because one of the "curing" psychologists wound up with a prestigious APA position. That was resolved, but it should never have happened.

It wasn't until the 1950s that American doctors stopped doing surgery on lesbians to "cure" them (of course, it wasn't until the 1970s that American doctors stopped doing surgery on heterosexual women to make them more "responsive" to men).