PDA

View Full Version : Oakland, California: 3 Police sergeants dead...

RVD
Mar 22nd, 2009, 06:16 AM
http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_11967257?source=most_viewed
Three police sergeants dead, suspect killed in East Oakland gun battles
By Harry Harris and Kamika Dunlap
Oakland Tribune
Posted: 03/21/2009 02:10:30 PM PDT

OAKLAND — In the most horrific day in Oakland Police Department history, three police sergeants were shot to death by the same gunman within two hours of one another Saturday afternoon. A fourth officer involved in a second shooting with the suspect was wounded and was in critical condition Saturday night.

The three veteran officers killed were sergeants: Mark Dunakin, 40, of Tracy, a traffic officer with the department since 1991; Erv Romans, 43, of Danville, a 13-year veteran with the force; and Dan Sakai, 35, a nine-year veteran, police said. Romans and Sakai were SWAT team members. This was the first time any sergeant in the department had been slain.

Officer John Hege, 41, of Concord, was on life support at Highland Hospital. A fifth officer who was not identified was grazed by a bullet. He was treated and released from the hospital.

The suspect was identified as Lovelle Mixon, 26, of Oakland, who was on parole for assault with a deadly weapon, police said. He had a no-bail warrant out for his arrest on charges of violating parole. He had previous convictions in Alameda County for grand theft and possession of marijuana.

"I wouldn't wish this on any of my colleagues in the United States," acting police Chief Howard Jordan said during a news conference Saturday night. "This is very daunting for us, but we are very resilient. We are a big family and we rely on each other for support."

The first shooting happened in the 7400 block of MacArthur Boulevard about 1:16 p.m. when Dunakin and Hege were shot to death with a handgun during a traffic stop. What led to the shooting was not known.

A man, who did not want be identified, said he heard gunshots and saw the officers lying on the road.

"I went over to one officer and saw he was bleeding from his helmet pretty bad," he said. "The other officer was lying motionless."

He said the officer lying near a car was shot twice in the face. One bullet was lodged in his jaw and the other in his neck. The man proceeded to give the officer CPR until other officers arrived, he said.

Helicopters hovered for hours over the crime scene.

Dozens of Oakland police, California Highway Patrol officers and Alameda County sheriff's deputies cordoned off stretches of blocks around 73rd and 74th avenues and MacArthur Boulevard before learning that the suspect was in an apartment around the corner on 74th Avenue.

Police surrounded the building and after the Oakland SWAT team tried to communicate with the suspect, they entered the building and Mixon opened fire with an assault weapon, police said. Sakai and Romans suffered fatal wounds and a third officer was grazed in the head. Other officers returned fire and fatally wounded the suspect. No other occupants in the complex were injured.

Joining Oakland Mayor Ron Dellums at the news conference were council members Larry Reid, Desley Brooks and state Attorney General Jerry Brown.

Dellums said that there are no words to express "the shock, grief, sadness and sorrow we feel. Our hearts go out to the families, whose level of tragedy and loss is beyond any comprehension."

The incident represents the most police officers ever killed in the line duty on the same day in Oakland.

In honor of the officers, state Capitol flags will be flown at half-staff today, Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger said.

As news of the shootings reached the Oakland police community, officers showed up in droves at both Highland Hospital, where the officers were taken, and the Eastmont Substation, a few blocks from the shooting scene.

Some officers were crying while others hugged one another. Dellums visited the Oakland Police Officers Association to offer condolences.

"This is just unbelievable; everyone is in shock," said an Oakland police sergeant.

A neighbor of Hege's in Concord said the officer was single and did not have children. Hege lived in single-story house.

"He didn't deserve what he got, that's for sure," said the neighbor, who only gave his first name, Peter.

He said the two were good friends, eating breakfast almost every Sunday. Sometimes they would talk about the risks of the job.

At the Dunakin's home there were at least three police Saturday night — including one with San Francisco Police Department markings. The tidy two-story home is in the Red Bridge Housing Development, one of the more affluent subdivisions in Tracy. It appeared family and friends were coming in and out of the house. When approached, an officer requested that the family be left alone.

Dunakin was married and had three children.

No one could remember when three officers were killed in the line of duty on the same day. The last time an officer was killed and another was shot on the same day in Oakland was in 1970 during a gang-involved robbery.

The last time an Oakland officer was killed was in 2004 when William Seuis, 39, died in a hit-and-run crash. In addition, Gabe Guider and Wendell Troyer were the last two officers to die on the same day in the line of duty, in a helicopter crash in 1974.

Before Saturday, 47 Oakland police officers had been killed in the line of duty since the department was formed in 1867.

This was the first time since 1970 that four law-enforcement officers perished at one time in California. That year four California Highway Patrol officers were killed in a shootout in Newhall on a freeway offramp.

Staff writer Eric Louie and correspondent Aaron Morrison contributed to this story.

young_gunner913
Mar 22nd, 2009, 06:19 AM
I read about this earlier but at that time it was just the 4 officers were in critical condition. :o
So horrible that 3 of them died. :sad:

G1Player2
Mar 22nd, 2009, 06:23 AM
WHAT?! They died? :sad: :eek: I thought they were just in critical condition. This is too close to home. :scared:

pepaw
Mar 22nd, 2009, 06:27 AM
thats really sad.

too much violence in the states :unsure:

RVD
Mar 22nd, 2009, 06:43 AM
Recently, there was a thread (now removed) in which posters heatedly discussed the death of a 73 year old Black man shot on his front porch, in broad daylight, in front of witnesses, by racist cops: http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-race-shootings17-2009mar17,0,3587334.story
In that incident, the Police Chief Russell Mills, made the following statement:That is how it should be, responded Homer Police Chief Russell Mills, who noted the high rates of gun and drug arrests in the neighborhood.

"If I see three or four young black men walking down the street, I have to stop them and check their names," said Mills, who is white. "I want them to be afraid every time they see the police that they might get arrested.

*For some reason, that thread was removed*

At any rate, after reading police chief's words, and noting the riots in Oakland after the B.A.R.T. murder of another young Black male by a White officer, I’d stated that if this continued then Oakland residents would start shooting back, and we just may see race war.
A select few posters, unsurprisingly, said that I wanted a race war, or condoned such, even after myself and others made it clear that these few individuals had taken my statements out of context.

I’m now posting this most recent travesty because it serves as evidence of a changing perception, and and may be indicative of what I predicted would happen---police dead on streets, in the worst incidents in 3 decades.
I have to wonder if this is a sign of what’s to come if the Oakland police and others around the nation do not clean up the multitude of problems plaguing the justice system in this country.
My hope is that this is the spark that died…not the spark that acts as the catalyst to a very big keg of gun powder. The Oakland (local government) will need to handle this just right, or the people here will turn their backs and for good and never trust the system again. On the other hand, if the cops seek retribution and begin killing even more due to fallen comrades, like they usually do, this part of California will eat itself alive and we’ll see a great number dead on both sides.

RVD
Mar 22nd, 2009, 06:45 AM
WHAT?! They died? :sad: :eek: I thought they were just in critical condition. This is too close to home. :scared:Way too close to home.

G1Player2
Mar 22nd, 2009, 06:48 AM
Recently, there was a thread (now removed) in which posters heatedly discussed the death of a 73 year old Black man shot on his front porch, in broad daylight, in front of witnesses, by racist cops: http://www.nowpublic.com/world/73-year-old-black-man-shot-and-killed-police-homer-la
In that incident, the Police Chief Russell Mills, made the following statement:

*For some reason, that thread was removed*

At any rate, after reading police chief's words, and noting the riots in Oakland after the B.A.R.T. murder of another young Black male by a White officer, I’d stated that if this continued then Oakland residents would start shooting back, and we just may see race war.
A select few posters, unsurprisingly, said that I wanted a race war, or condoned such, even after myself and others made it clear that these few individuals had taken my statements out of context.

I’m now posting this most recent travesty because it serves as evidence of a changing perception, and and may be indicative of what I predicted would happen---police dead on streets, in the worst incidents in 3 decades.
I have to wonder if this is a sign of what’s to come if the Oakland police and others around the nation do not clean up the multitude of problems plaguing the justice system in this country.
My hope is that this is the spark that died…not the spark that acts as the catalyst to a very big keg of gun powder. The Oakland (local government) will need to handle this just right, or the people here will turn their backs and for good and never trust the system again. On the other hand, if the cops seek retribution and begin killing even more due to fallen comrades, like they usually do, this part of California will eat itself alive and we’ll see a great number dead on both sides.

:worship: :worship: :lol: I guess you were right RVD and alot of these posters can't face the truth even when it is smacking them in the face. They have no idea how treacherous, smarmy and racist the Oakland PD is along with other Police Departments around the bay area. Even the black officers are ridiculous. :rolleyes:

But, on the flipside of that, I think if this was the statement that someone wants to make in the changing of the guard, it's sad and unfortunate, because as much as I dislike the police, these officers didn't deserve to die especially in this way so I think their lives are the most important thing in all of this. :shrug:

RVD
Mar 22nd, 2009, 07:03 AM
:worship: :worship: :lol: I guess you were right RVD and alot of these posters can't face the truth even when it is smacking them in the face. They have no idea how treacherous, smarmy and racist the Oakland PD is along with other Police Departments around the bay area. Even the black officers are ridiculous. :rolleyes:

But, on the flipside of that, I think if this was the statement that someone wants to make in the changing of the guard, it's sad and unfortunate, because as much as I dislike the police, these officers didn't deserve to die especially in this way so I think their lives are the most important thing in all of this. :shrug:Yeah, the truth is right there in every false arrest, evidence planting, and incarceration and murder of innocent residents for decades. This is a very sad situation for me because it's in my city, and I have to pass these guys (crooked cops) nearly every day, and watch my back when I do. And you are so right about the Black cops. In some ways they are far worse than the White ones.

I don't think this is a statement in as much as people are fearful for their very lives when the OPD comes calling. The cops here have established themselves as killers of the Black males of this city, and no one is stepping up to stop it. Not Ron Dellums, Jerry Brown, or ...anyone!
It's going to get a LOT worse before it gets better, because the cops here are rotten to the very core and will seek revenge on any Black male they can corner on any sort of offence.

harloo
Mar 23rd, 2009, 06:09 PM
http://ak.imgfarm.com/images/ap/thumbnails//Police_Shot.sff_CASM101_20090322021430.jpg

http://ak.imgfarm.com/images/ap/thumbnails//Police_Shot.sff_CASM102_20090322021654.jpg

http://ak.imgfarm.com/images/ap/thumbnails//Police_Shot.sff_CASM103_20090322021739.jpg

http://www.ktvu.com/2009/0322/18987098_142X180.jpg

OAKLAND, Calif. (AP) - Relatives of the man suspected of fatally shooting three Oakland police officers said Sunday the 26-year-old parolee was frustrated about not finding work and feared returning to jail.

The suspect Lovelle Mixon was slain in a gunfight with police during which two officers were killed Saturday, authorities said. Another officer was fatally shot earlier in the day and a fourth gravely wounded after the two of them pulled Mixon over for a routine traffic stop, police said.

Mixon's family gathered Sunday at his grandmother's East Oakland home, where he had stayed on and off since being released from a nine-month sentence for a parole violation, family members said.

He had previously served six years in state prison for assault with a firearm during an armed robbery in San Francisco, the family said. While he was in Corcoran state prison, he married his childhood girlfriend, they said.

Mixon's uncle, 38-year-old Curtis Mixon of Fremont, said his nephew had become depressed because he could not find work as a convicted felon. His nephew expected authorities to issue an arrest warrant for missing parole meetings, even though the he felt he was not to blame, he said.

"I think his frustration was building up, but he was trying to better himself," Curtis Mixon said.

Mixon was wanted on a no-bail warrant for violating his parole when Sgt. Mark Dunakin, 40, and Officer John Hege, 41, both on motorcycles, stopped a 1995 Buick sedan in east Oakland just after 1 p.m., police said.

The driver opened fire, killing Dunakin and gravely wounding Hege, Oakland police spokesman Jeff Thomason said.

Police initially issued a statement Sunday saying Hege had died but later backtracked, saying the officer had been declared brain dead but remained on life support while a decision was made about donating his organs.

Reached by telephone, Dr. John S. Hege said his son was attached to a ventilator and "looks fine" except for a black eye behind which the bullet was lodged.

"He does not have vital brain function to sustain life and will not regain that," Hege said, adding that the family would soon make a decision about continuing life support.

After shooting Hege and Dunakin, the gunman fled on foot, police said, leading to an intense manhunt.

Two hours later, officers found the gunman inside a nearby apartment building. When a SWAT team entered, the gunman opened fire, police said. Sgt. Ervin Romans, 43, and Sgt. Daniel Sakai, 35 were killed and a third officer was grazed by a bullet, police said.

Officers returned fire, killing Mixon, police said.

Mixon's sister, Reynete Mixon, 16, said she was sleeping when police kicked in the door and threw flash grenades, one of which struck her and caused minor burns on her leg. She said she did not know her brother was in the apartment when she fled as shots rang out.

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger ordered flags at the state capitol flown at half-staff Sunday. Schwarzenegger returned from Washington, D.C., to meet briefly with Oakland Mayor Ron Dellums and members of the police department Sunday afternoon.

Police said never in the department's history had so many officers been killed in the line of duty in a single day.

Relatives and co-workers of the four officers requested privacy as they absorbed the enormity of the deaths. Oakland had never lost even two officers on the same day.

Yet some details about their lives and motivations for joining law enforcement emerged Sunday.

Friends who knew Sakai from his days at the University of California, Berkeley and his continued involvement in his college fraternity said he was married to a campus police officer and was a father. He and his family lived in Castro Valley.

Oren Levy, a fraternity brother of Sakai, said his friend grew up in Big Bear and was an accomplished mountain biker and outdoorsman who majored in forestry and graduated in 1995.

As an undergraduate at Berkeley, Sakai worked for the campus police department as a student volunteer. After graduation, Sakai spent a year in Japan teaching English.

"His honor was extremely important to him. Whenever there was a situation where someone could take the path that was less honorable, he always advocated doing the right thing," Levy said. "Being a police officer was really perfect for him."

Hege's father said his son, who lived in Concord, loved being a policeman. He worked well with people and was an Eagle Scout. He played high school football and wrestled. He umpired and coached even as a youth, and joined the Oakland Police Department reserves.

After graduating from St. Mary's College in Moraga, he taught high school physical education for a few years in nearby Hayward before joining the police department a decade ago.

He recently became a motorcycle traffic patrol officer, Hege said, adding, "He liked excitement."

As for the slain shooting suspect, Hege said, "The man was evidently terribly desperate. It is a sad story."

LaTasha Mixon, 28, of Sacramento said Sunday her cousin was "not a monster."

She said her family's prayers were with the slain officers' relatives.

"We're devastated. Everybody took a major loss. We're crushed," she said.
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20090323/D973E0LG0.html

RVD
Mar 23rd, 2009, 10:32 PM
Ya gotta love how the media works in conjunction with the cops and the "justice" system to paint this "evil" picture of the suspect, while completely ignoring much of what really went down, and painting these cops as angels.
Oh well, next comes cops going on a killing rampage in Oakland.
Incidentally, I'm far from condoning these deaths, but I'm sure that the suspect knew he was a dead man.
Such is the climate that the OPD has promoted and fostered.

*JR*
Mar 23rd, 2009, 11:03 PM
(FYI to "anyone here" who says that 99% plus of those in prison are there because they were set up, and never says a word about the greater threat to blacks from gangbangers etc. than from bad cops.)

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/03/22/MNH016L58R.DTL

Killer of 4 officers wanted to avoid prison
Demian Bulwa, Jaxon Van Derbeken, Chronicle Staff

(03-22) 21:12 PDT Oakland -- A fourth Oakland police officer was pronounced dead Sunday in the wake of a shooting rampage by a 26-year-old parolee who, according to family members, knew he was a wanted man and did not want to go back to prison.

* Woman says she pointed police to Oakland killer
* Parolee wanted to avoid prison
* M&R: Doomed SWAT sergeants didn't expect AK-47
* Johnson: It's time to back the badge
* Oakland police deaths: What went wrong?
* Mark Dunakin - a cop committed to Oakland
* John Hege - always the first to respond
* Ervin Romans - compassionate SWAT veteran
* Daniel Sakai - quick learner was a rising star
* Residents struggle with latest tragedy

Motorcycle officer John Hege, 41, was declared brain dead Sunday morning at Highland Hospital in Oakland and remained on life support to preserve his organs for donation. His death made Saturday's shootings in East Oakland the deadliest attacks on California law enforcement in almost four decades.

According to authorities, Lovelle Mixon used a semiautomatic pistol to shoot and kill Hege and Sgt. Mark Dunakin, 40, two motorcycle officers who pulled him over during a routine traffic stop. Two hours later, Mixon, who was holed up in his sister's nearby apartment, opened fire with an AK-47 assault rifle, killing SWAT team sergeants Ervin Romans, 43, and Daniel Sakai, 35.

Another SWAT team officer, Sgt. Pat Gonzales, also was shot: A bullet ripped through his left shoulder, and another ricocheted off his helmet. He was treated for his injuries and released. The chaotic shootout occurred in a darkened apartment filled with smoke from officers' nonlethal shock grenades and dust from bullets ripping through drywall. It ended when SWAT team officers returned fired and killed Mixon, authorities said.

On Sunday, Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger flew in from Washington, D.C., to offer condolences and to meet with Oakland Mayor Ron Dellums and Howard Jordan, Oakland's acting police chief. Investigators tried to figure out why Mixon would commit such a crime.

Law enforcement authorities revealed Sunday that Mixon had been investigated last year in another homicide case in Alameda County. Details of that slaying were not immediately released, but prosecutors found there was not enough evidence to charge him.

Oakland investigators said they were not aware of Mixon's possible connection to the earlier slaying. They said they were perplexed about what triggered Mixon's sudden outburst of violence against their officers.

"This is a strange one," said Oakland police Capt. Steve Tull, who is overseeing the investigation. "We don't know what his motivation is." If authorities found he had violated the conditions of his parole, Mixon would have faced at most six months in prison, Tull said. Mixon "weighed six months" against his own life and the lives of the officers, Tull said.

Relatives of Mixon gathered Sunday morning at an East Oakland home where the parolee had been living until recently. They publicly apologized to the officers' families and said they were shocked by the sudden burst of violence that has devastated their city.

"He's not a monster," said his sister, 24-year-old Enjoli Mixon, who said her 4-year-old daughter's bedroom in a small apartment on 74th Avenue was the scene of much of the bloodshed. It was there, police said, where Mixon fired through a closet wall at a team of SWAT officers, who then shot and killed him. "I don't want people to think he's a monster. He's just not. He's just not."

"We're crushed that this happened," added the gunman's grandmother, Mary Mixon. "Our hearts and prayers go out to the officers' families. ... This shouldn't have happened."

Lovelle Mixon was convicted in 2002 of assault with a deadly weapon after an armed robbery in San Francisco, family members said. He served time in San Francisco County Jail and Corcoran State Prison. He had been released on parole in 2007, then was sent back to prison for nine months in 2008 after he had violated his parole. His attorney in the assault case, Lisa DewBerry, declined comment Sunday.

His family said that while he was behind bars, Mixon married his childhood girlfriend, Amara Langston, and worked briefly as a janitor in Hayward once he got out. He was most recently released from prison in November, his family said.

Then, about three weeks ago, Mixon skipped a home visit from his parole officer, his family said. Mixon's grandmother said he had gotten angry at his parole officer because the agent had missed earlier appointments. Gordon Hinkle, a spokesman for the state Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation, said the family's assertion that the parole agent had missed a meeting was "highly unlikely," but added that he is researching the matter. He said the department had issued a no-bail, parole revocation warrant for Mixon's arrest after he failed to appear for a meeting with his parole officer.

"We did pick him up previously, (and) he has been looked at as a suspect in other serious crimes," Hinkle said. "He was a suspect in a murder, but due to lack of evidence, on a homicide, he was charged with other violations."

Mary Mixon recalled that her grandson said at one point that he was even willing to go back to prison as a way to get a new parole officer. She said, she did not know where her grandson had been staying for the past few weeks.

According to police, Saturday's violence began about 1:08 p.m. when two motorcycle officers, Dunakin and Hege, were shot after stopping a burgundy 1995 Buick in the 7400 block of MacArthur Boulevard in East Oakland, not far from the Eastmont Town Center.

Dunakin had radioed in that he was going to make the stop, notifying authorities of the vehicle involved. He walked up to Mixon, asking for his driver's license. Dunakin then brought the paperwork back to his motorcycle. It was at this point that Mixon sprung out and fired a semiautomatic pistol, hitting both officers, authorities said.

Mixon's relatives said that when he was stopped by the police motorcycles, Mixon was apparently looking for a parking space. He had bought the car a week earlier from someone in San Francisco. Mixon was having a phone conversation with his uncle, Curtis Mixon, just before the first shooting. "He said, 'The police just pulled up behind me. Let's see what's going on. I'll hit you back.' " Curtis Mixon said, "He never hit me back."

About two hours after the first shooting, about 200 officers from the Oakland police, Alameda County Sheriff's Office, BART police and California Highway Patrol combed the area for the suspect. Acting on an informant's tip, a SWAT team raided the apartment of Mixon's sister. Romans was shot almost immediately, as was Gonzales, who continued to battle a gunman the officers couldn't see.

At one point, an Alameda County sheriff's deputy outside the apartment went in with a rifle and joined the fray after he saw officers carrying out a wounded comrade, said Harry Stern, an attorney representing officers in the case. Stern said that during the gunfight, the deputy and three other officers closed in on Mixon in a back bedroom, which was pitch black, smoky and dusty. Mixon was shooting from a closet, police said.

One officer was fatally shot in the bedroom before Mixon was killed. "It was a remarkable display of heroism and galantry in the face of unfathomable destruction," said Stern, who did not name the officers. Enjoli Mixon said she was not at her apartment when her brother holed up there. But another sister, 16-year-old Reynete Mixon, was at the apartment.

Reynete said she was in the bathroom when police officers bashed in the front door, causing her to drop to the floor. The officers ran toward her, she said, shouting and throwing grenades that shredded her pajama bottoms and caused her legs to bleed. Soon, she said, she ran out of the apartment. As officers moved her across the street, she said she heard gunfire. "I thought off the top that he was dead," Reynete said of her brother.

mykarma
Mar 25th, 2009, 01:46 AM
(FYI to "anyone here" who says that 99% plus of those in prison are there because they were set up,

Who said that?

RVD
Mar 25th, 2009, 04:35 AM
Who said that?Imaginary Black leprechauns living in Sher'hood forest most likely.

Seriously mykarma, I no longer even bother. :rolleyes:
When you stop to boil his line of thinking down to it’s very essence, he’s saying that ALL Blacks (except for 1%) in prison, deserve to be in prison. But not just because they were set up.
So why would I, or anyone else, bother with that sort of f**ked up logic?

RVD
Mar 25th, 2009, 06:33 AM
This story has taken a very strange, but not so unexpected, turn tonight.

So now, apparently, the suspect ... is suspected of raping a 12 year old girl, and may be tied to other rapes in the area of 74th Avenue in East Oakland. Yet the residents there say that they never heard of any rapes being reported in that area. Only now are they hearing about it. Not only that, but the cops reportedly have linked the suspect using DNA evidence...AND... the profile that the 12 year old provided fit the suspect. :scratch: However, none of the other girls who were attacked recall what the rapist looked like because he wore a "mask"?!

WTH is going on?!
And why weren't the 74th Avenue residents warned if the rapes were so abundant (as reported tonight)?

young_gunner913
Mar 25th, 2009, 06:45 AM
Ya gotta love how the media works in conjunction with the cops and the "justice" system to paint this "evil" picture of the suspect, while completely ignoring much of what really went down, and painting these cops as angels.
Oh well, next comes cops going on a killing rampage in Oakland.
Incidentally, I'm far from condoning these deaths, but I'm sure that the suspect knew he was a dead man.
Such is the climate that the OPD has promoted and fostered.

And how would you paint the suspect?
I think he painted an evil potrait of himself on his own.

meyerpl
Mar 25th, 2009, 10:32 AM
Mr. Mixon was acting like a violent career criminal. On parole for a crime stemming from an armed robbery, he absconded from parole and reasonably assumed he had a warrant. He was carrying a firearm, a serious violation of his parole. He began shooting at police officers because he didn't want to go back to prison. Why, a reasonable person would ask, if Mr. Mixon didn't want to go back to prison, would he engage in conduct likely to send him back rather than comply with the conditions of parole? Because that's not how violent, career criminals think or act.
There's a great line in an O.K. movie, Con Air, that beautifuly exemplifies criminal thinking. A criminal, in the course of highjacking a plane, tells the pilot that if he doesn't comply with his demands, he will kill him. The pilot responds, "If you kill me, you won't have anyone to fly this plane." The criminal replies, "I don't think that far ahead."
Based on Mr. Mixon's record and conduct, I wouldn't try to over analyse his thinking or his reasons for doing what he did. I suspect his thought process was simple and deviant on a level most people can't comprehend.

*JR*
Mar 25th, 2009, 01:31 PM
Imaginary Black leprechauns living in Sher'hood forest most likely.

Seriously mykarma, I no longer even bother. :rolleyes:
When you stop to boil his line of thinking down to it’s very essence, he’s saying that ALL Blacks (except for 1%) in prison, deserve to be in prison. But not just because they were set up.
So why would I, or anyone else, bother with that sort of f**ked up logic?
That's quite a twist. :confused: I've long advocated not only ready access to DNA testing for convicts claiming innocence, but also that separate investigators in a different chain of command investigate major crimes where there's any doubt, with instructions to pretend that the person(s) charged were... innocent.

And while "nobody here" literally said that 99% of those in prison were framed, RVD has openly stated a number of times that the purpose of prison is to oppress the black population. (Since metaphors get twisted so easily here, I guess I shouldn't use them.)

Mr. Mixon was acting like a violent career criminal. On parole for a crime stemming from an armed robbery, he absconded from parole and reasonably assumed he had a warrant. He was carrying a firearm, a serious violation of his parole. He began shooting at police officers because he didn't want to go back to prison. Why, a reasonable person would ask, if Mr. Mixon didn't want to go back to prison, would he engage in conduct likely to send him back rather than comply with the conditions of parole? Because that's not how violent, career criminals think or act.

Well said, and expect 2B classified as a racist here for having the gall to state the obvious. :shrug:

RVD
Mar 25th, 2009, 08:58 PM
And how would you paint the suspect?
I think he painted an evil potrait of himself on his own.If what is report is true, I'd paint him as a monster.

If what is reported NOW is true, why wasn't the information publicized sooner?
And why wasn't it publicized real-time to at least inform those poor women in and around 74th Avenue, so that they could have taken precaution?
Once again, during the TV news reports, many in and around 74th Avenue never even heard of the rapes occurring, so I obviously question why?
If I have valid questions for the media and the sudden appearance of these reports. Am I wrong to ask?
I know that it’s difficult to believe [not saying you personally] that police and the media will regularly, and have regularly worked together to quell the emotions of the community, but this late reporting is typical of the area here, and it doesn't sit well with me. It also serves as yet another reason this area has such a low opinion of cops.

RVD
Mar 25th, 2009, 09:21 PM
Mr. Mixon was acting like a violent career criminal. On parole for a crime stemming from an armed robbery, he absconded from parole and reasonably assumed he had a warrant. He was carrying a firearm, a serious violation of his parole. He began shooting at police officers because he didn't want to go back to prison. Why, a reasonable person would ask, if Mr. Mixon didn't want to go back to prison, would he engage in conduct likely to send him back rather than comply with the conditions of parole? Because that's not how violent, career criminals think or act.Personally, I'd believe the Mixon family over police reports any day.
And why would a violent career criminal who's been looking for work suddenly start shooting cops?
His parole officer missed 2 meetings with Mr. Mixon, and MR. Mixon did not attend the next (why do you think that is?).
It was at least reported that Mr. Mixon had been looking for work. Seems to me that this violent criminal was trying to turn his life around, until that warrant for his arrest was issued. I'm curious as to why a warrant was issued when the parole office missed two in a role himself, but then when Mr. Mixon missed one he was looking at more prison time, guaranteed.
Now, I will say this...
He should not have shot the cops.
However, did he fear for his life, or did he just not want to go back to prison?
Again, I have legitimate questions as to what the truth is.
However, I can certainly see your point when viewed in the way described by your post, but there are holes to this entire story. And you have a legitimate reason to believe what you wrote.

Look, my point is that the truth is not something that the cops are interested in here. They NEVER are.
And that lagging rape information on the local news channel just doesn’t gel.
It gives the impression that, well the guy is dead now so it's not like he can stand trail and fight whatever future charges arise from the wookwork. And DNA evidence isn't always what it appears, as the OJ Simpson caes showed. It could very well be that this evidence was cultivated AFTER his death. And yes, Oakland cops are that notorious.
Sorry, but I ain't buying any of this.

meyerpl
Mar 26th, 2009, 12:15 AM
Personally, I'd believe the Mixon family over police reports any day.
And why would a violent career criminal who's been looking for work suddenly start shooting cops?
His parole officer missed 2 meetings with Mr. Mixon, and MR. Mixon did not attend the next (why do you think that is?).
It was at least reported that Mr. Mixon had been looking for work. Seems to me that this violent criminal was trying to turn his life around, until that warrant for his arrest was issued. I'm curious as to why a warrant was issued when the parole office missed two in a role himself, but then when Mr. Mixon missed one he was looking at more prison time, guaranteed.
Now, I will say this...
He should not have shot the cops.
However, did he fear for his life, or did he just not want to go back to prison?
Again, I have legitimate questions as to what the truth is.
However, I can certainly see your point when viewed in the way described by your post, but there are holes to this entire story. And you have a legitimate reason to believe what you wrote.

Look, my point is that the truth is not something that the cops are interested in here. They NEVER are.
And that lagging rape information on the local news channel just doesn’t gel.
It gives the impression that, well the guy is dead now so it's not like he can stand trail and fight whatever future charges arise from the wookwork. And DNA evidence isn't always what it appears, as the OJ Simpson caes showed. It could very well be that this evidence was cultivated AFTER his death. And yes, Oakland cops are that notorious.
Sorry, but I ain't buying any of this.A parolee has reporting requirements. He may be required to report once a week. That doesn't mean his agent will be present every time he reports. His agent may be in court, on vacation, sick, in training, involved in a custody, doing a search, etc. It happens all the time. That doesn't change the parolee's obligation to report. If his agent isn't in the office when he reports, he generally fills out a report form and leaves, or if he needs something, meets with a cover agent or agent of the day. If the agent misses a scheduled home visit, that doesn't mean the parolee can or should stop reporting. That excuse is hogwash. Carying a firearm is another matter and there is no justification for that.
I have nothing but sympathy for Mr. Mixon's family, but without knowing them, I wouldn't "trust" them as a character reference. I'm inclined to believe the man's record and conduct, rather than grieving relatives. Finally, you must know that your statement that the cops are NEVER interested in the truth is no more correct than if I said the cops are ALWAYS interested in the truth. Reality lies somewhere in between. One truth you can depend on is that an absconder from parole running around with guns isn't trying to turn his life around.

meyerpl
Mar 26th, 2009, 01:09 AM
Because he didn't want to go to jail. Seriously. The answer to why criminals do what they do is usually starkly simple. Does it make sense? Not to you, but to a guy who will shoot an uncooperative pilot despite the fact that it will leave nobody to fly the plane because he "doesn't think that far ahead", it makes perfect sense.

RVD
Mar 26th, 2009, 04:19 AM
A parolee has reporting requirements. He may be required to report once a week. That doesn't mean his agent will be present every time he reports. His agent may be in court, on vacation, sick, in training, involved in a custody, doing a search, etc. It happens all the time. That doesn't change the parolee's obligation to report. If his agent isn't in the office when he reports, he generally fills out a report form and leaves, or if he needs something, meets with a cover agent or agent of the day. If the agent misses a scheduled home visit, that doesn't mean the parolee can or should stop reporting. That excuse is hogwash. Carying a firearm is another matter and there is no justification for that.True, true. Regardless, he should make it a priority to meet his parolee requirements even if his parole agent misses a thousand meetings. No argument there.
What I meant, but am failing to convey, is that we [joe public] aren't privy to all of the truth. Many do not realize that police can (and in the case of the OPD, OFTEN) "create" false reports.

Hmm...?
Also, maybe I'm still unable to successfully convey my thoughts on the matter of the disproportionate connection between the leap in penalty when someone misses one appointment having made others. :shrug: But you are correct in that he should just not miss any, if humanly possible

I have nothing but sympathy for Mr. Mixon's family, but without knowing them, I wouldn't "trust" them as a character reference. I'm inclined to believe the man's record and conduct, rather than grieving relatives. Finally, you must know that your statement that the cops are NEVER interested in the truth is no more correct than if I said the cops are ALWAYS interested in the truth. Reality lies somewhere in between. One truth you can depend on is that an absconder from parole running around with guns isn't trying to turn his life around.Normally, I'd probably agree. However, the OPD is far and away too corrupt of a department for me to take their word over that of the family's. But again, I can certainly understand your reluctance.

I wish that I could take you on a trip through the decades of all the corruption, record fixing, and out and out lying that is the OPD's M.O.
There is enormous distrust that the Oakland residents have of these guys. And the distrust extends for as long as before my birth.
But to be honest, there are dead on both sides, that should never have happened. My hope is that there will be steps taken to prevent further unrest on both sides.

P.S.
I'll be checking back with you later.
I have an upper respiratory infection and possibly walking pneumonia (I don't feel like seeing a doctor to verify), so I'm feeling a bit weak at the moment.

meyerpl
Mar 26th, 2009, 05:09 AM
True, true. Regardless, he should make it a priority to meet his parolee requirements even if his parole agent misses a thousand meetings. No argument there.
What I meant, but am failing to convey, is that we [joe public] aren't privy to all of the truth. Many do not realize that police can (and in the case of the OPD, OFTEN) "create" false reports.

Hmm...?
Also, maybe I'm still unable to successfully convey my thoughts on the matter of the disproportionate connection between the leap in penalty when someone misses one appointment having made others. :shrug: But you are correct in that he should just not miss any, if humanly possible
Normally, I'd probably agree. However, the OPD is far and away too corrupt of a department for me to take their word over that of the family's. But again, I can certainly understand your reluctance.

I wish that I could take you on a trip through the decades of all the corruption, record fixing, and out and out lying that is the OPD's M.O.
There is enormous distrust that the Oakland residents have of these guys. And the distrust extends for as long as before my birth.
But to be honest, there are dead on both sides, that should never have happened. My hope is that there will be steps taken to prevent further unrest on both sides.

P.S.
I'll be checking back with you later.
I have an upper respiratory infection and possibly walking pneumonia (I don't feel like seeing a doctor to verify), so I'm feeling a bit weak at the moment.I don't know what they do in California, but in Wisconsin, if a parolee missess an appointment he'll generally be given a few days to call or come in before a warrant is issued. Once a warrant is issued, the agent will attempt to locate/contact the parolee to get him to come in. Normally, if he reports or calls within a reasonable period of time, the agent will cancel the warrant and continue to supervise. If the parolee is picked-up on the warrant, unless he's a repeat violator, he may sit in jail for a few days, then be released to resume supervision. If parolees were returned to prison for just missing an appointment, or two, or three, 90% of them would be returned within a few months. These guys didn't get where they are by being responsible. They need to do more than miss an apointment or two to go back to prison. I can't imagine it's any different in California. Most states lack the prison beds to be that punitive.

I don't doubt what you say about the culture of corruption in the OPD. Nonetheless, I'd love to take that "trip". I'm sure it would be an eye opener. The longer I'm around, the harder it is to shock me, but I suspect you could pull it off. I wouldn't rush to judgment of Mr. Mixon based on what he's "suspected" of, or what the police have said about him. I think we can reasonably assume, based on what we know he's done, that this man was very dangerous. I don't know what made Mr. Mixon become the man he came to be, but it's a shame. He devastated five families, the families of the officers he killed along with his own, and his community.

You'd better take care of that upper respritory deal. I hear Irish Whisky is good for that, although take it easy, 'cause you could aggravate your condition if you break into singing Danny Boy or Whisky in the Jar. Seriously, take care of yourself!:wavey: