PDA

View Full Version : I need you help: Are young people more prone to risky behavior?

Cam'ron Giles
Mar 21st, 2009, 05:54 PM
I need youíre help to settle an argument I had with a friend. It started with us taking about the increase in bareback sex videos on the web and that I think itís very irresponsible of these film makers especially at this point in the AIDS epidemic where kids who are becoming active now are seeing less and less of the devastation cause by the disease than we did twenty years ago. Iíve had sex with people who are in their very early twenties and the things they are willing to do is just shocking to meÖand itís very consistent. I think that young people from mid teen to mid twenties brains are wired to not take the consequences of their actions seriously and thus causing them to make bad decisions. I believe that the older you get the more aware you become of your actions and you think more seriously about the things you do and what those decisions can lead to. Far more young people tend to try drugs for the first time, have risky sex and commit crimes based on peer pressure than say someone in their mid thirties. My friend disagrees. He thinks that age has no bearing on the decisions people make and that once a young person decides to do something risky he or she knows what he or she is doingÖis aware of the consequences but donít careÖIím like UH? Thatís my point. He thinks that people put to much blame on peer pressure when itís just people being people. My argument is that no kid isolated from drug use decides one day that he is gonna stroll the street for drugs and then become a full blown druggie.

I guess my point is that young people think less of consequences (I think itís biological?) and are willing to take more risk than a more mature person (generally speaking).

What do you think?

gentenaire
Mar 21st, 2009, 05:57 PM
It IS biological. A teenager's brain isn't fully developed yet. Especially the part at the front of the brain is still developing during adolescence and it's this part that is responsible for making judgements, planning, etc.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/teenbrain/

mirzalover
Mar 21st, 2009, 06:08 PM
^^The above is right. I'm taking adolescent psychology right now and we just went over how teens and people who are into their early 20s are way more likely to engage in risky behavior and its biological

Kart
Mar 21st, 2009, 09:25 PM
I'm not so sure about that.

I've met some very dodgy old men in my time.

Kart
Mar 21st, 2009, 09:26 PM
That came out wrong but you know what I mean.

Andreas
Mar 21st, 2009, 09:35 PM
I haven't thought that much about the unprotected sex issue. If I trust my partner, I actually don't have a problem with doing it.

I could never do drugs though, I feel like these are two completely different things. Having unprotected sex is for me all about trust while doing drugs is just plain stupid.

Sorry, if I didn't get the question correctly :p

Sam L
Mar 22nd, 2009, 12:28 AM
It's not just about sex, you'll find that in speeding (driving), drugs and alcohol too.

mariahdg
Mar 22nd, 2009, 03:31 AM
most teens aren't aware of the consequences. => law protect them

Edinboro
Mar 22nd, 2009, 06:56 AM
Just the fact that certain people are willing to have sex with people they barely know is enough for me to question the intelligence of this nation.

bad_angel_109
Mar 22nd, 2009, 06:59 AM
i reckon we are, after all times and traditions are definitely changing. with new technologies and social and political issues, yadda yadda yadda. add heaps of booze and drunken, unprotected sex into that mixture and u've got urself chaos and inevitable circumstances and other stuff.

yeah im practically trying to be all logical and wise, just crapping on about random stuff :lol:

pepaw
Mar 22nd, 2009, 07:02 AM
Just the fact that certain people are willing to have sex with people they barely know is enough for me to question the intelligence of this nation.

thats a global phenomenon. and its not a bad thing if everyone stays safe. keep the moral proselytizing out.

Ellen Dawson
Mar 22nd, 2009, 03:33 PM
I think that young people from mid teen to mid twenties brains are wired to not take the consequences of their actions seriously and thus causing them to make bad decisions.

What do you think?

I think that's true...of any generation. As someone who just turned 36 in Jan., I clearly remember being a teen and a twentysomething and throwing caution to the wind i.e. "these old farts are always getting in my business". :tape:

I get the sense that you're earnest about this situation but trust me (please), the majority of the time, no "older" person is going to convince these teens and twentysomethings that they're wrong...about anything. It's all the cycle of life. :shrug: (All credit to those that can get through to them!!!)

skanky~skanketta
Mar 23rd, 2009, 12:39 AM
Of course age makes a difference. The younger ones lack the experience that the older ones have learned from.

fufuqifuqishahah
Mar 23rd, 2009, 02:51 AM
Younger people are less fearful of death than older people.... which makes sense considering they are generally further away from it.

Perhaps also though that this was always a very good thing tens of thousands of years ago -> younger people, the ones with more able bodies, were more courageous and thus were the ones hunting while the ones that were older, with more weakly bodies, did other tasks.

We can even relate this idea to the present.... the idea of "career death". Younger people are supposed to be more adventurous and take risks with their careers because they can and risk-tasking is often a catalyst for ingenuity -> younger people are less likely to have kids to take care of, less likely to own a home, etc.

Cam'ron Giles
Mar 23rd, 2009, 03:18 PM
Can someone address my friend's POV?

Justin
Mar 23rd, 2009, 03:36 PM
I haven't thought that much about the unprotected sex issue. If I trust my partner, I actually don't have a problem with doing it.

I could never do drugs though, I feel like these are two completely different things. Having unprotected sex is for me all about trust while doing drugs is just plain stupid.

Wow, I am shocked to hear that. I would MUCH rather do drugs than have unprotected sex. I am not saying I would shoot up in a back alley somewhere, but IMO it is much safer to do drugs than have unprotected sex. Maybe I have a different perspective as a gay man, but HIV is not something I will ever mess with. Having unprotected sex with someone you trust is just like sharing a needle with someone you trust. I trust my bf completely but I would not bet my life (literally) on it.

Cam'ron Giles
Mar 23rd, 2009, 04:11 PM
Wow, I am shocked to hear that. I would MUCH rather do drugs than have unprotected sex. I am not saying I would shoot up in a back alley somewhere, but IMO it is much safer to do drugs than have unprotected sex. Maybe I have a different perspective as a gay man, but HIV is not something I will ever mess with. Having unprotected sex with someone you trust is just like sharing a needle with someone you trust. I trust my bf completely but I would not bet my life (literally) on it.

Awwwriiiggghhtttttt!!!!!!!!!! Awwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ellen Dawson
Mar 23rd, 2009, 08:32 PM
Can someone address my friend's POV?

OK.

My friend disagrees. He thinks that age has no bearing on the decisions people make and that once a young person decides to do something risky he or she knows what he or she is doingÖ

That's what all young people think; it's not surprising he would say that. When you're in high school, college or just starting your first job, you think you have it all figured out, just like your friend.

is aware of the consequences but donít care...

Well, it's not that he doesn't care. He's just too self-centered to think about anything else but getting his needs fulfilled. Also, he's too lazy to think about repercussions hence the "whatever" attitude. If we're talking about young people in regards to sex, partying and socializing, step aside old person or responsible young person, you'll kill their buzz...

He thinks that people put to much blame on peer pressure when itís just people being people.?

It's human nature to throw caution to the wind when you're his age is where that comment stems from. Give him a few years (and bills and a mortgage to pay) and he'll shake his head at his stupidity and naivete.