PDA

View Full Version : MLS season kicks off...I'm probably the only one who cares.

miffedmax
Mar 20th, 2009, 02:18 AM
Yes, I support the United State's home soccer league.

Seattle vs. New York is far more entertaining than some college kids playing a game where you actually have to get out of the way when a player drives to the goal.

Saturday FC Dallas takes on the Chicago Fire. The league tries to convince people that Dallas vs. Houston is the rivalry, but true fans who have been here from the beginning know that Chicago is the source of all that is evil in the world.

I can't wait!:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::boun ce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

Ciarán
Mar 20th, 2009, 02:20 AM
Do you follow European soccer?

miffedmax
Mar 20th, 2009, 02:31 AM
Yes. I am a fan of Liverpool, Rangers, Real Madrid, PSV and Fiorentina.

These date back to the days when we were kids and my best friend and I picked our favorites and we mostly picked archrivals (he supports Tottenham, Celtic, Barca, Ajax and Juventus). No idea why we settled on these teams.

But of course, I put my hometown team first--I know we don't have the tradition, skill or history of the great European, South American or even many African sides, but hey, I CAN say I was there for my teams first game ever!

Ciarán
Mar 20th, 2009, 02:34 AM
Rangers :ras:

Celtic FTW :rocker2:
Although I do support Liverpool also. Probably for different reasons than you though :rolls:

miffedmax
Mar 20th, 2009, 02:55 AM
Well, you have to realize these choices were made when we were kids pouring through a months out-of-date copy of "World Soccer" my friend's dad had brought back from a trip to Britain... we were utterly clueless. This was the USA in the '70s, and our coaches, for example, thought that when you kicked off you had to give the ball to the other team, like in American football.

I so wish I'd gotten the kind of opportunities my kids did, but then again, somebody had to be part of the "first generation." (We weren't the first, but we were the first generation of the suburban soccer kids).

hellas719
Mar 20th, 2009, 03:24 AM
I was watching the last 10 mins of the game. As a New Yorker, I think it's going to be a long season for the Red Bull:o:scared:

McPie
Mar 20th, 2009, 03:29 AM
I try to tracking about MLS new sometimes ;) cause it's hard for me to know about it :lol:

miffedmax
Mar 20th, 2009, 11:12 PM
I was watching the last 10 mins of the game. As a New Yorker, I think it's going to be a long season for the Red Bull:o:scared:

I think Red Bulls fans have probably suffered more than any other MLS fans.

Kuilli
Mar 20th, 2009, 11:17 PM
It's the first year we have a team in Seattle, so I might go and check out a game or two. It can't hurt that we won our inaugural game. ;)

saint2
Mar 20th, 2009, 11:18 PM
Im afraid USA need much time to build true football tradition, but we'll see...
As I know level of MLS competition is quite poor ATM, but anyway it couldnt be worse than polish league :lol::lol:

IceHock
Mar 20th, 2009, 11:52 PM
my two favorite teams are seattle and new england, and i must say that crowd for seattle was like a world cup game, it was pretty insane. i'm also pretty pumped for that a womens soccer league is back, starts march 29 and they have some really good players in their league, i like watching marta dazzle everyone, pretty insane.

miffedmax
Mar 21st, 2009, 01:44 AM
It's the first year we have a team in Seattle, so I might go and check out a game or two. It can't hurt that we won our inaugural game. ;)

I loved the atmosphere at the home opener for Seattle. Great spirit, similar to Toronto, which has some great fans. Columbus, too.

Dallas never really recovered from its move from the Cotton Bowl. The crowd lost a lot of passion because a lot of the Central American fans don't aren't up for a long trek to the suburbs (although we have a very nice 22,000-seat stadium which is a great venue). Too many soccer moms/dads who sit on their hands now. The fact we've sucked the last two years hasn't helped things much.

As far as level of play, it's actually better than a lot of people give it credit for. We have some decent U.S. players, and some pretty good imports from some of the lesser world powers. No, it's nowhere near as good as the best European leagues, but it can be entertaining and even elegant at times.

The real weakness is the officiating, IMHO. US refs tend to be way too intrusive, calling minor infractions, inconsistent with cards, and in general destroying the flow of the game--acting like refs in American football or basketball, in other words, where such interruptions are more natural in games that have frequent intrinsic stoppages of play.

kiwifan
Mar 21st, 2009, 11:36 AM
I used to care...lost track of things a few years ago when Hristo Stoichkov was with the Fire (who I believe you hate)...I used to like the Fire, never liked the Galaxy (my local team)...I played High School and College Ball but I guess when my Jersey Boys Harkes, Meola, Ramos (Lalas played at Rutgers, too) generation faded away I lost a passion to follow every detail...

...still love the National Team (went to the last World Cup and saw them play Czechs and Ghana). :cool:

miffedmax
Mar 21st, 2009, 01:07 PM
The league keeps trying to sell us on a Houston/Dallas rivalry, but yeah, Chicago/Dallas and the Brimstone Cup is the big rivalry for me.

Lots of bad blood from the '90s and early 00s.

The Galaxy has had some bad years. I miss Harkesie and Ramos, too. Never liked Meola. Always in the Keller camp.

kiwifan
Mar 21st, 2009, 01:46 PM
The league keeps trying to sell us on a Houston/Dallas rivalry, but yeah, Chicago/Dallas and the Brimstone Cup is the big rivalry for me.

Lots of bad blood from the '90s and early 00s.

The Galaxy has had some bad years. I miss Harkesie and Ramos, too. Never liked Meola. Always in the Keller camp.

Keller is definitely the better Keeper, but back when our defense was complete crap and we were giving up breakaway shots on goal...

...I always liked Meola's athleticism in dealing with those situations - thank G-d you hardly ever see that anymore against the USA :angel:

darrinbaker00
Mar 21st, 2009, 04:35 PM
Growing up in the Bay Area, I went to many an NASL San Jose Earthquakes game. In fact, in 1980, my mom worked for Atari, which was owned by Warner Communications, which also owned.....wait for it.....the New York Cosmos. I got to see George Best, Giorgio Chinaglia and Franz Beckenbauer FOR FREE. Granted, it was like getting free tickets to an Elvis concert in 1977, but still..... :cool:

kiwifan
Mar 21st, 2009, 06:53 PM
Growing up in the Bay Area, I went to many an NASL San Jose Earthquakes game. In fact, in 1980, my mom worked for Atari, which was owned by Warner Communications, which also owned.....wait for it.....the New York Cosmos. I got to see George Best, Giorgio Chinaglia and Franz Beckenbauer FOR FREE. Granted, it was like getting free tickets to an Elvis concert in 1977, but still..... :cool:

Did you see the documentary, "Once In A Lifetime" or read the book?

Great stuff! :yeah:

I was taken to see Pele play by my parents but I was too young to remember. :o But I did grow up playing soccer (all by myself at times) instead of baseball as a result. :angel:

In fact I'll be kicking the ball in about 4 hours. :banana:

Halardfan
Mar 21st, 2009, 07:16 PM
It would be fascinating if football ever really took hold in the US...its had its moments, but it will always have to fight a losing battle against the more established sports.

Signing Beckham seems to have been a mistake for all involved. It undermined the native talent, felt like a gimmick, and then when the opportunity opened up with AC Milan, Beckham, with hopes of one last World Cup couldnt resist that.

The league does get patronized in European circles...as in the Beckham case, it was thought that Beckham needs to play in a “serious” league in order to keep on playing for England. It takes a long time to shake those prejudices, but bit by bit they can be chipped away at.

In contrast, Americans womens football is the model the rest of the world should follow.

Dont suppose America has any Manchester City fans like me? Think of us as an equivilent of the LA Clippers or Detroit Lions in our recent decades!

miffedmax
Mar 22nd, 2009, 04:13 AM
Ugh. Well, the joy of opening day is gone. An awful, uninspired performance as FC Dallas goes down 3-1 to the evil Fire. Completely gutless performance. We have no defense. None. Our midfield, supposedly our strong point was beaten to every ball. Kenny Cooper, our sometimes national team forward, was the lone bright spot. :mad: :mad:

It could be a very long season.

mckyle.
Mar 22nd, 2009, 04:19 AM
Im afraid USA need much time to build true football tradition, but we'll see...
As I know level of MLS competition is quite poor ATM, but anyway it couldnt be worse than polish league :lol::lol:

USA already has a strong football tradition. Soccer will never be big in America.

kiwifan
Mar 22nd, 2009, 04:53 AM
It would be fascinating if football ever really took hold in the US...its had its moments, but it will always have to fight a losing battle against the more established sports.

Signing Beckham seems to have been a mistake for all involved. It undermined the native talent, felt like a gimmick, and then when the opportunity opened up with AC Milan, Beckham, with hopes of one last World Cup couldnt resist that.

The league does get patronized in European circles...as in the Beckham case, it was thought that Beckham needs to play in a “serious” league in order to keep on playing for England. It takes a long time to shake those prejudices, but bit by bit they can be chipped away at.

In contrast, Americans womens football is the model the rest of the world should follow.

Dont suppose America has any Manchester City fans like me? Think of us as an equivilent of the LA Clippers or Detroit Lions in our recent decades!

One of my best friends lives in Manchester and...

...of course he's not a Manchester City fan :haha:

I already expressed my dislike for the Galaxy, David Beckham is my least favorite soccer player of all time (hated him since the red card vs. Argentina) and Rooney is close to being #2 (hated him since the red card vs. Portugal). ;)

But because my mate is a United fan, I actually know more about Man U than everyone else combined (I like Liverpool and Real Madrid and AC Milan back when they had a bunch of Dutch players).

I think MLS should only sign South American talent, signing past their date Euros only adds to the disdain heaped on our local league...so I say reject them before they reject us. :devil:

Halardfan
Mar 22nd, 2009, 07:04 AM
One of my best friends lives in Manchester and...

...of course he's not a Manchester City fan :haha:

I already expressed my dislike for the Galaxy, David Beckham is my least favorite soccer player of all time (hated him since the red card vs. Argentina) and Rooney is close to being #2 (hated him since the red card vs. Portugal). ;)

But because my mate is a United fan, I actually know more about Man U than everyone else combined (I like Liverpool and Real Madrid and AC Milan back when they had a bunch of Dutch players).

I think MLS should only sign South American talent, signing past their date Euros only adds to the disdain heaped on our local league...so I say reject them before they reject us. :devil:

Man United are the true root of all evil in the universe!;) Man City, in Manchester itself are at least as well supported as United, its just United are supported everywhere else too, from Truro to Toronto to Timbuktu.

What level are the MLS aspiring to match? I guess currently they are on a similar level to something like the J-League, Asia's strongest League? If it ever really took off, the resources of American teams would be a match for anyone, but at the moment American owners seem more interested in the Premier League, with Americans at the helm at Man United, Liverpool, Aston Villa...

I share the hate for Rooney, but not for Beckham who is a nice guy, if a bit dim.

miffedmax
Mar 22nd, 2009, 02:54 PM
That's the irony right now. The US has a pretty decent soccer fanbase, just given that it's such a big country if you get 5-7% of the public interested that's a pretty good number. (World Cup ratings outdrew World Series ratings in 2006).

But a lot of US fans would rather watch Premier League and Series A on TV.

Me, I'm old school. If you're not out there in the rain, or the heat, or the cold, screaming and cheering for your team, your not really a fan. Which is why I watch as much European soccer as I can (it is better) I still support my MLS team.

J-League or smaller European Leagues are about the level MLS is hitting. We are not as good as Mexico, most South American or bigger European leagues.