PDA

View Full Version : What player do you see in the future as a commentator?

joaco
Sep 1st, 2002, 07:18 PM
I was wondering, I KNOW some players that won't even consider the idea of commenting to a sports channel, but I see some others as real contenders for the honour;)
I don't see Lindsay as a commentator. Not in a life time, I think when she retires she will do her life and not really get involved in commenting tennis matches. Same goes to Venus & Serena. They'll probably be around, interested in other things and maybe some of them will have some kind of desire to comment and they will do it succesfully.
I see Kim as a great commentator, even Jennifer. It wpuld be fun to see Martina in that spot and I think that she might one day.
It would be fun to see Anna as a commentator!:D

So who do you think that will be the lucky one to fulfil that position??

Joaco

wongqks
Sep 1st, 2002, 07:21 PM
What a cool topic, I have to disagree with you I think Lindsay will be a part time commentators when US Open came around, I would die to see Jennifer as a commentator, gosh that would be funny ;) Anna will not coz she will probably have many other acting commitments to do after she retire ;)

Martina will be a good commentator, I think she stand the best chance out of all the top players right now.

I can also see Chanda Rubin and Lisa Raymond in the booth

wongqks
Sep 1st, 2002, 07:21 PM
williams sister? forget it LOL

ktwtennis
Sep 1st, 2002, 07:23 PM
I see Chanda in the booth and possibly Seles on a limited basis--she won't do it full time...

Tennis Fool
Sep 1st, 2002, 08:55 PM
No one in the current top 10.

Definitely Chanda and Lisa.

Someone said JenCap??? Please, she's so "like umm like umm what?" unarticulate!

The best pick to me is Corina Moriau (sp?) as she has a beautiful commentator's voice and bubby personality.

CC
Sep 1st, 2002, 08:56 PM
Lindsay or Chanda

angele87
Sep 1st, 2002, 09:03 PM
If I don't know if she will/would do it but Kim would make a great commentator I think! So would Martina and Chanda! On the men's side I think Andre would be great... so would Pat Rafter but I don't think I could see him doing that lol

Sophie
Sep 1st, 2002, 09:04 PM
Todd Martin (he might be already) James Blake, Andy Roddick, Andre Agassi would all be good for the men.

Monica Seles, Chanda Rubin, Lori McNeil, Lisa Raymond, I think would be good on the women's side.

CoryAnnAvants#1
Sep 1st, 2002, 09:41 PM
Chanda, Corina, Lisa and Momo (on french TV) would do a good job. I love Monica, but she seems to lack opinions. (at least in her interviews) I doubt they would get more out of her than "Oh definitely."

CellJr300
Sep 1st, 2002, 09:43 PM
I think Martina could do it, and Chanda sounded really good when she commentated on a Serena match during Wimbledon.

mboyle
Sep 2nd, 2002, 12:32 AM
Chanda, Martina, Corina, Monica, would all be great. Lindsay would also be awesome, but wouldn't do too much. Lisa Raymond would be okay, but JennyCap? I love the girl but she isn't the sharpest tool in the shed.

treufreund
Sep 2nd, 2002, 01:50 AM
Chanda and Martina. Justine could do an occasional "for sure". :D

bello
Sep 2nd, 2002, 01:54 AM
Definately Chanda, and i think Lindsay will too. Meghann Shaghnessy?? Maybe Nicole Pratt..

disposablehero
Sep 2nd, 2002, 02:04 AM
I don't think many of the current top players would make good commentators. Serena and Martina maybe, but they will make so much more money in tennis/endorsements than the current generation of commentators that they may not be interested.

LucasArg
Sep 2nd, 2002, 02:59 AM
I am looking at the past and I'd like to see Gabriela Sabatini doing something on TV. I saw an interview in Fox Sports last yeak and she also has a great voice and likes to talk about tennis, she follows a lot of tournaments, she is the perfect commentator.

:wavey:

Mark43
Sep 2nd, 2002, 03:21 AM
Perhaps Monica or Martina. They would both need coaching and communication lessons, which is par for the course.

Remember when Jana Novotna did some commentary for Fox a few years back...poor thing stunk! As did Bjorn Borg at Wimbledon one year (86?). Jimminy Connors was pretty bad in 1990 on NBC. I like McEnroe, Tracy, Carillo and Virginia Wade the best. Jim Courier is too mellow.

kiwifan
Sep 2nd, 2002, 03:33 AM
disposablehero, I agree with you 100%

I would love to see Hingis and Serena in the same booth.

Serena is so funny and Hingis is so brutally "honest" she could take Mac's job one day.

They both need the spotlight more than the rest (once again like Mr. Mac).:cool: :cool: :cool:

Irish
Sep 2nd, 2002, 03:42 AM
Chanda
Corina
Monica
Babsi Schett (tourneys in Germany and Austria)

essielewis
Sep 2nd, 2002, 04:13 AM
Of the current women players, Chanda Rubin would be the best bet to do commentary. She is very articulate and has a great speaking voice. Plus, she might be anxious to do commentary in order to keep her name out front because of her charity work. She did a great job during Wimbledon when she was on for about a hour during Serena's match.

I don't know if any of the other players would want to do the traveling necessary to be a commentator.

On the mens' side, I'm sure any or all of the networks would like Agassi and/or Sampras but I doubt either would want to do commentary. Andre did some commentary a year or so ago during the Miami tournament and said he liked it but I doubt he would want to do the travel involved.

It's really hard to say. If you'll notice, there are only two commentators now who had GREAT careers: McEnroe and Evert. The rest consist of a very good player (Courier); an okay player (Fernandez) and the rest were marginal players (PMcEnroe, Washington, Shriver, Shiras, Drysdale and a couple of other old guys).

I didn't mention BJ King or Martina Nav. because they seem to only commentate on an irregular basis, at least in the U.S.

Shooter
Sep 2nd, 2002, 05:43 AM
They have to be articulate, smart, a bit more analytic than the average tour player. McEnroe is good in this respect. Evert is bad. Not every player with a good voice can be turned into a good commentator. It doesn't matter to me at all how good they were as players. They have to be able to learn what is appropriate from the point of view of the audience. This is where many commentators mess up. Evert talks over points way too much. Many commentators don't seem to be able to stay neutral about the players out there on the court. McEnroe is guilty of this occasionally. Some commentators are too analytical. I think it's very difficult to predict who will be good. The best thing to do is just try a bunch of players out by inviting them up to the booth during matches and asking them about the match that is being televised. Some might be too diplomatic (Seles?) to say anything critical. I like an announcer who isn't afraid to point out a player's weaknesses or strategical errors. I like MN, Shriver, Carillo, and McEnroe. I don't like Evert. I'd like to hear Rubin and Marissa Irvin give it a try. I think Capriati would be terrible in the same way that Evert is - not analytic enough. For men, I think Agassi might be good.

disposablehero
Sep 2nd, 2002, 05:47 AM
esselweiss, I don't think you can really call Pam Shriver "marginal". Her career easily eclipses Mary Joe's.

essielewis
Sep 2nd, 2002, 06:00 AM
I don't think you can really call Pam Shriver "marginal". Her career easily eclipses Mary Joe's.

Okay. Whatever.:rolleyes:

I think Agassi might be good.

I agree that he might be good but he does like to talk about the "mechanics" of tennis and doesn't seem to like to "gossip" meaning he doesn't seem to like small talk about personal aspects of the players. At least that's the impression I get. As Andre says, he likes the X's and O's of tennis. He was really good during the that short stint in the booth the one time I heard him but, over the long haul, he might get boring to the audience. I can't see Agassi criticizing a player the way McEnroe does at times.;)

But I think that discussion would be moot since I can't see Agassi leaving his family to commentate tennis tournaments unless he just does the tournaments in America.

MinskLynx
Sep 2nd, 2002, 06:06 AM
I think everyone has to agree Chanda did really great. And I would love to hear her in the future.

Someone mentioned just like Chanda trying it out, have several players do it. I know I wouldn't have said Chanda in a million years before she had actually commentated.

bobcat
Sep 2nd, 2002, 06:12 AM
I remember Hingis commenting on a match and she seemed quite good when talking about the game, but she's not as funny and entertaining as Mary Carillo or Pam Shriver. Maybe she'd be better in her native language.

I think Serena would be good as a commentator. Her interviews are always so witty. Venus can also be funny but she seems maybe too reserved.

Jennifer is too inarticulate. Lindsay seems dull.

disposablehero
Sep 2nd, 2002, 06:34 AM
Well, "OK whatever" gets you into the Hall Of Fame.

21 Career Singles titles
112 Career Doubles titles
21 Slam Women's Doubles titles
1 Slam Mixed Doubles title
US Open Singles Finalist at age 16
8 Time Slam Semifinalist
Career High Ranking #3

That's a far cry from Patty Mac.

Shooter
Sep 2nd, 2002, 07:24 AM
Bobcat, I agree with your comments with one exception - the Williams sisters. I think they'd fall into the same category as Capriati - too inarticulate. But not in the same way as Jen. The Williams sisters have decent vocabularies, but don't seem to think analytically enough to be good commentators. I say this based on their interviews which have always disappointed me. They are nice and they try to avoid controversy. But they also come up with very little of interest to say when asked questions about the match they just played. They seem to have very little idea about why they won, what they did well or not so well, what their opponents did well, or not so well, etc. Perhaps they don't want other players to know anything about how they think strategically. But I think there's more to it than that. I believe they don't think quickly enough on their feet or analytically enough to be decent commentators. But let's get them in a booth and give them a chance to prove me wrong!