PDA

View Full Version : Sydney 25 K Report

SM
Mar 4th, 2009, 06:59 AM
I was running late this morning and it was my first time driving to Olympic Park so I was hoping not to get lost like I usually do when I have to find somewhere I've neevr been to. Lucky that wasn't the case and I got there at 1030 (matches started at 10). I had no idea where to park as the limited parking next tot he pro shop was full, so I found another area for staff parking and just parked there :cool:

First game I saw was the glamour match, with two young cute blondes. It was Holland playing Du Plessis. Holland won easily by the score of 6-3 6-1, but it was closer than it looked. Du Plessis is a left handed player who strikes her forehand very flat and with insane pace at times, kind of reminding me of another left hander in Safarova. The first set was well fought but Du Plessis' forehand which was hitting many winners tended to desert her on the important points. Her serve and consistency need some work.

Isabella played a very mature game comapred to her opponent. While her forehand didnt look as fast as her opponent, it also packed some punch and was quite heavy with a nice amount of topspin. Isabella used her forehand to manouvre her opponent around the court and wait for the right ball before striking the winner. Her backhand and serve are quite decent too, though Issys' game definately centres around the forehand. She needs to make sure she comes to the net and moves forward, Issy was glued to the baseline in every exchange.:lick:

I was too tired to get up and walk over to see Peers vs Adamczak but it was 2 courts away so I kept glancing at some of their rallies and boy oh boy were those rallies good. It looked like a WTA match you would see in a grand slam! Most points were won with a winners, Monique didn't lose this match, Sally won it with her great shots and very solid 2 fisted backhand today. Sal :drool:

Next I saw Noppawon training with Viratpresert for a while. Noppawon was practicing alot of serves and seemed to have great control on her serve, hardly missing any and getting nice depth on it. Must be something she has been working on. She also practiced alot of volleys and is volleying well too. Watch out the rest of the draw for Noppawon!

I went for a little wander around next to have a look at the general talent here and noticed a blonde headed girl hitting unbelievably hard and accurate winners in the distance. This match was being played on the practice courts out the back so there was no seating and I actually had to walk on to the court and sit on a bench right next to the players seats.

The blonde girl who I learned was Tammi Patterson has a strong, solid build. She could probably work on getting faster, but boy did she pack a PUNCH! Nearly every point she won with a screaming forehand winner down the line or backhand winner down the line! Her technique was very fluid and i was very very impressed. She even hit a few drop shot winners and showed some deft touch. Serve was powerful enough. How did she lose the first set and where has this girl been hiding?

Next I went to see Viratprasert def. Wejnert 3-6 6-3 7-6 (4). It was clear that Monica is the more talented player. Viratpresert has a pretty average but consisteny all court game, Monica moved her around early on especially with her very accuracte 2 fisted backhand and went up 3-0. Errors crept in Monica's game but she managed to wrap up first set 6-3.

The second set was :help: Monicas serve was :tape: She also missed a bit too much. To sSuchanun's credit she raised her game and started to hit more winners and take control.

In the 3rd set Monica snapped out of it from the get go going up 2-0. Then in the next game she threw in 2 doubles then smashed the ball in my direction but it hit a 1 metre fence lol...imagine if it hit me and she got defaulted a la Yanina :help:. Anyway Monica needed to get anrgy, it sparked her to lift her game and she started playing like in first set going up 5-2. Then, the choke. 5-5 after error fest.

Monica wakes up again and goes up 6-5, gets match point. Then misses routine second serve return. Suchanun manages to hold and get it to a tie break! Suchanun played a good tie break. GSM to Suchanun who was the more composed and far more consistent player. Monica's serve needs work and while she moves the ball around well, especially on the backhand and can use this to move her opponent left right and centre...too often Monica hits it straight to the middle of the court, giving the opponent chances tot ake control, you cant expect them to miss at professional level. I do see talent there though, she kind of reminds me of a Myskina just needs experience.

SM
Mar 4th, 2009, 07:03 AM
I was most impressed with the groundstrokes coming off Pattersons raquet...they were hot and soooooooo powerful

SM
Mar 4th, 2009, 07:06 AM
Marija Mirkovic watched the end of Monica's match and cheered for her a little :)! Mariha looks like a nice girl

Ben.
Mar 4th, 2009, 07:23 AM
great report :yeah:

sounds like tammi is one to watch out for maybe.
what did you think of isabella's bh?

SM
Mar 4th, 2009, 07:33 AM
great report :yeah:

sounds like tammi is one to watch out for maybe.
what did you think of isabella's bh?
Its not a weak backhand, she hit some nice cross court backhand winners. Its not as powerful as the forehand and she doesnt hit it down the line too well.

Keadz
Mar 4th, 2009, 07:51 AM
Oh Monica :sad:, I was hoping the match didn't turn out like that. In all the matches I have watched her play, her serve has made the matches much tougher that they should have been. Hope she can improve it. I never noticed the hitting down the middle of the court though, usually she does a fantastic job of staying steady in rallies and redirecting the balls and creating short angles perfectly and setting up points hitting off backhands and forehands DTL. Maybe she was a bit nervous.

Good to see that Tammi might be a bit of a prospect, I haven't seen her play before so I guess I will keep my eye out for her.

Sally played pretty awful at the Aussie Open so it is good to know there is more to her game than what I saw, still sad for Monique though.

OZTENNIS
Mar 4th, 2009, 08:00 AM
Just like to point out that it's Monika ;)
Tammi is one that gets injured every time it looks like she might be getting somewhere. Obviously she is having a good tournament, but she is a pure ball basher and doesn't have much of a tennis brain (natural instinct). She does have SOME talent, and has been working with the AIS in 2008, spose that was a big help.

Thanks heaps for the report, SM :rocker:
Hope you had a great day and you enjoy tomorrow as well ;)

Nicky_608
Mar 4th, 2009, 11:53 AM
Thanks for the report

SM
Mar 4th, 2009, 11:54 AM
:lol:Just like to point out that it's Monika ;)
Tammi is one that gets injured every time it looks like she might be getting somewhere. Obviously she is having a good tournament, but she is a pure ball basher and doesn't have much of a tennis brain (natural instinct). She does have SOME talent, and has been working with the AIS in 2008, spose that was a big help.

Thanks heaps for the report, SM :rocker:
Hope you had a great day and you enjoy tomorrow as well ;)

I only saw 10 mins of Tammi's match in the second set...it must have been her best patch in the match then im guessing
:lol:

Ellery
Mar 4th, 2009, 12:51 PM

akephon35695
Mar 4th, 2009, 01:19 PM
awesome report!!!!I really enjoy that.
Have a nice week SM.

Petkorazzi
Mar 4th, 2009, 01:42 PM

SM
Mar 4th, 2009, 01:42 PM
I dont think I will go tommorow Im feeling tired. I will probly check out the singles final on Sunday and that's it.

JujulCactus
Mar 4th, 2009, 01:48 PM
Thanks for your report :yeah:
I you go tommorow,
I think there will be Noppawan vs Ryoko :D

Andiyan
Mar 4th, 2009, 02:38 PM
Thanks SM :)

zeeson
Mar 4th, 2009, 11:07 PM
Thanks for report!! I love it!!

zeeson
Mar 4th, 2009, 11:17 PM
Thanks for your report :yeah:
I you go tommorow,
I think there will be Noppawan vs Ryoko :D
I hope so!! :bounce:

Привет
Mar 5th, 2009, 03:54 AM
Thanks SM for the report, and so sweet to hear about Marija. I really like her, she seems like such a nice girl. :D

DutchieGirl
Mar 5th, 2009, 08:29 AM
Thanks Stevie. :p

SM
Mar 5th, 2009, 11:49 AM
no probs, im GLAD i did not go today! they were cursed!!

Buitenzorg
Mar 6th, 2009, 12:17 AM
I wish I have a time to watch...BUSY at Work :yawn: