PDA

View Full Version : Serena and Venus Outside Interests

MinskLynx
Sep 1st, 2002, 03:27 PM
I hear so much about how they are well-rounded people. They are said to have many interests, many diverse interests. I know only that they have had their studies of fashion in the past, that they have been reported to shop online way too much, and that they are practicing Jehovah's Witnesses.

What else is there?

Infiniti2001
Sep 1st, 2002, 03:32 PM
Tsk tsk!!:rolleyes:

apoet29
Sep 1st, 2002, 03:37 PM
They study languages. Both Serena and Venus spoke French to the crowd in the FO Final this year. They are involved with their mom's foundation. For many years, they ran their own tennis newsletter. In Serena's Mtv diary, it showed the sisters going to a basketball game and Serena out boating with a friend. They are still young women and I'm sure that they have a variety of interests like any other woman on the WTA tour.

MLF
Sep 1st, 2002, 03:50 PM
Serena's French needs a lot of work ! ;)

I know Venus loves to shop and that she is into music. She was interviewed on television during Wimbledon and said she loves Hole and The Smashing Pumpkins so obviously she is a lady of very good taste.

Aloysius
Sep 1st, 2002, 03:55 PM
How was Megan putting anyone down?

I want to know the answers too. I was trying to defend Venus and Serena the other day on another board about them having a wide variety of interests outside of tennis, and how none of that distracts from their tennis (like it supposedly does to Anna), but then I realized that I couldn't name too many outside of the fashion school and the languages they learn. :o

Maybe I just need to swot up more on Venus and Serena.

evadafan
Sep 1st, 2002, 04:46 PM
I don't think they have any more interests than any of the other players, except maybe Jelena Dokic who is getting pushed around by Damir anytime she isn't playing. But then she does have a boyfriend doesn't she?

Anyway, a lot of them have other interests, I think Monica, Jen, Lindsay, and Martina especially have lots of other things they do.

junkartist
Sep 1st, 2002, 04:51 PM
oh puhlese....Venus and Serena come off alot more well rounded than the other girls...just read their interviews...the most intelligent and entertaining to be found!

the cat
Sep 1st, 2002, 04:54 PM
apoet, you shouldn't have edited your post. What you said about Megan's thread was fair and polite. You go out of your way to offer fair and polite criticism. I'm sure Megan would understand.

Megan, in today's U.S. Open CBS television coverage, Dick Enberg and Mary Carillo were talking about how well rounded the Williams sisters are! :D I hope you were watching and listening! ;) They might not be as well rounded as some people. But for tennis players, they are indeed well rounded!

And did you see Serena in her Catsuit? Now that's one well rounded young woman! :bounce:

Did you know Venus speaks Russian? I'm sure you appreciate that, Megan! ;)

MinskLynx
Sep 1st, 2002, 04:57 PM
I'm not Russian.:sad: Please people, stop with that.

So far it sounds like they of course do have outside interests, but surely there must be more.:confused:

CanIGetAWhat
Sep 1st, 2002, 04:57 PM
Mary Carillo said this year Venus also listed sumo wrestling as one of her interests :D

harloo
Sep 1st, 2002, 04:59 PM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: @Megan

MinskLynx
Sep 1st, 2002, 05:02 PM
Excuse me?

the cat
Sep 1st, 2002, 05:02 PM
Serena really like Sumo Wrestling! :D

Megan, who in this thread said you were Russian? And please don't act insulted! All I said was that I thought you would appreciate Venus being able to speak Russian.

kiwifan
Sep 1st, 2002, 05:04 PM
Megan is a hater, she couldn't care less about the Sister's outside interests.

One year Venus was into surfing (was reported that she went with Guga a few times) now she's into Sumo wrestling and Ancient Chinese History.

Today on the Rain Delayed telecast they remaked that they saw Venus carrying about the NY Times and how that in itself is a rare sight on the tour (a player with a newspaper).

The interests change all the time. It's healthy to be curious about things that don't affect you directly.

It's called being intellectual.

Of course to Megan it's "being arrogant".

Right?

:p :p :p

Hulet
Sep 1st, 2002, 05:08 PM
From the sanex website:

Venus Williams:
PERSONAL
Coached by father, Richard and mother, Oracene; works with trainer Terrie Brooks...Full name is Venus Ebone Starr Williams; sisters are Isha, Serena, Lyndrea and Yetunde...Favorite movies are Shawshank Redemption, Tommy Boy, Coneheads, Friday, Mildred Pierce, Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore and Mahogany, and loves horror films; favorite song is the theme song from the '60s movie Romeo & Juliet...Other sports interests are sumo wrestling and surfing...Favorite musical groups are Green Day, Toadies, Hole, Our Lady Peace, Rancid, and also likes listening to the Jackson Five; favorite tennis player is Pete Sampras...Favorite place is anywhere that accepts credit cards...Claims to have an eye for fine diamonds and precious stones and loves gold...Says she possesses amazing nocturnal abilities (especially during night matches)...Life-lesson is that someone is always watching or listening, and life goal is to avoid further speeding violations...Has an insatiable desire to obtain information through books...Attends a university in Florida and is working toward an associate's degree in fashion design...Hopes not to be involved in tennis in any way after her career as she wants to move on from the tennis world...Loves Swedish, English and French furniture (antiques)...Wants to speak five languages: English, French, Italian, German and Russian...Enjoys Russian history and Chinese culture-Previously coached by Rick Macci for one-and-a-half years.

Serena Williams:
PERSONAL
Father, Richard, coaches her; trainer is Kerrie Brooks-Mother's name is Oracene; is youngest of five girls: Lyndrea, Isha, Yetunde and Venus...Sister Venus plays on the tour...Has participated in a number of tennis clinics for minorities and spoken at schools...Enrolled in classes at the Art Institute of Florida...With her sister Venus, was a guest voice on a Feb. 11, 2001, episode of The Simpsons animated television show-Appeared in rapper Memphis Bleek's 'Do My' video featuring Jay-Z, and is slated to make a cameo in Martin Lawrence's movie 'Black Knight' in the fall of 2001-Favorite author is Maya Angelou...Hobbies are watching movies, playing football and basketball, reading, acting, talking on the phone, and spending time with family and friends...Is opening her own clothing line and often wears her own designs-Most memorable experience was receiving an 'A' in geometry...Self-described as very humorous with a great personality (says she's allergic to peanuts and crazy people, and in another life wants to be a synchronized swimmer or an actress)...Does not like music from the '80s but admires Vanilla Ice...Biggest goal in life is to win Wimbledon...Favorite place to visit is the mirror in her house...Likes to listen to Jay-Z, Ja Rule, Ray-J, Brandy, J. Lo and many others-Sends prayers to all those lost in the September 11, 2001, tragedies-Began playing tennis at age 5 1/2 at neighborhood courts in Compton, California, USA...Previously coached by Rick Macci for 1 1/2 years.

There, Megan. Now, where is my cheque for doing your research for you? :tongue:

MinskLynx
Sep 1st, 2002, 05:15 PM
kiwifan, you may think that we just play around with eachother, and we do. But I don't like it, so I would appreciate it if you stopped "being mean". Joking or not please.

I'm sorry cat, I took the comment as if you still misunderstood what country I am from. Sorry.

MinskLynx
Sep 1st, 2002, 05:19 PM
Cash only eta;)

kiwifan
Sep 1st, 2002, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by Megan
kiwifan, you may think that we just play around with eachother, and we do. But I don't like it, so I would appreciate it if you stopped "being mean". Joking or not please.

:cool: :cool: :cool:

Of course, I'm joking.

I'm a happy, well adjusted, well educated, well compensated tennis, soccer, rugby and Pro Football fan, go Cowboys!!!

I love verbal sparring both by nature and by trade (guess what I do for a living?). I would rather use our interactions as an opportunity to shock the local Eastern Euros with my intimate knowledge of Belarus, but it doesn't appear that I will get any fun facts so, "nevermind"...

If you don't insult my country or my faves, I have nothing to say.

As of 9/1/2002 I declare a truce.

How long will it last?

Up to you.:kiss: :hearts: :kiss: :hearts: :kiss:

CC
Sep 1st, 2002, 06:29 PM
"Does not like music from the '80s but admires Vanilla Ice" :eek: :eek: :eek:

Dawn Marie
Sep 1st, 2002, 06:59 PM
Cat, smooches. great Post.

kiwifan I know Meg is nothing but a fakety fake. I am sooooooooo sure she has been in here as another poster or posterette.:)

If you really are concerned about V@S outside interest then go to some websites. read articles about them.

Apoet very nice post, you by far one of my favorite posters in here. Stick around I miss you when your gone!!:)

CC
Sep 1st, 2002, 07:53 PM
Being a dedicated Jehovah's Witness requires a lot of time and committment in and of itself.

Sophie
Sep 1st, 2002, 08:00 PM
What do Jehovah's Witnesses believe? I only have a vague notion that they don't take blood transfusions, don't celebrate holidays, believe that only 144,000 people are going to heaven, but don't really know why they believe any of these things. How does it take more time and commitment than say being a committed Catholic or Jew?

the cat
Sep 1st, 2002, 08:42 PM
Thanks Dawn! :wavey: But I can guarantee you that Megan has never posted here before under another username. And Megan really does love Belarus! :kiss:

Megan a posterette, Dawn? What, is she a Mousketeer or something?

But I thought Megan, the California Cougar/Belarussian Lynx was starting to growl at me because of my perceived ignorance about Belarus and Russia! :sad: I hope that's not the case.

And it's good that the Williams sisters do have outside interests!

CC
Sep 1st, 2002, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by Sophie
What do Jehovah's Witnesses believe? I only have a vague notion that they don't take blood transfusions, don't celebrate holidays, believe that only 144,000 people are going to heaven, but don't really know why they believe any of these things. How does it take more time and commitment than say being a committed Catholic or Jew?

Among those things, they believe that Jesus is God's son (they are not the same), there's only one true God, God's name is Jehovah, God is a spirit, they honor God, the righteous will inherit a paradise earth and not everyone is going to heaven, they reject all forms of spiritism (fortelling the future, voodoo etc.), they have no fear of the dead, they do not believe in idol worship or the idea of putting faith in "objects," they have love among themselves (no discrimination based on race, skin color, or nationality), they have a deep respect for the Bible, and they preach about God's kingdom.

Along with going out door to door, which is a responsibility most dedicated Witnesses assume, they attend congregation meetings three times per week. As with most Christians, there are Biblical and moral standards to live up to all the time.

MinskLynx
Sep 1st, 2002, 10:51 PM
Very strict to the Scripture. As a power girl, I hesitate from the religion. But they do site evidence for their "treatment" of women and it is convincing since they do follow the word of the Scripture, but no citing has ever been convincing enough to convince me that women should never have the right to lead congregation over a man or related issues...

the cat
Sep 1st, 2002, 11:56 PM
Megan, as a power girl? What's a power girl? Do you mean religiously?

And women should of course be able to lead a congregation! I got over that many years ago.