PDA

View Full Version : does this make sense ?

tobias
Feb 26th, 2009, 10:25 PM
A big hi to everybody - can I start by asking a question please ? This one has me really puzzled.

The Mexican tournament is one of the minor tournaments on the calendar - the last direct acceptance into the main draw was Andreja Klepac ( who is ranked 120 ) meaning all those ranked below her had to qualify in order to take part ( unless they had wildcards into the main draw ).

How can it be then that Agnes Szavay of Hungary ( currently ranked 28 in the WTA rankings ) had to qualify and indeed only made the first round as a lucky loser ?
Under WTA rules , she should have gained direct entry and have been seeded number 3 behind Venus and Flavia !

Obviously something is going on here but could someone kindly explain it to me because it really has me scratching my head.

Vincey!
Feb 26th, 2009, 10:30 PM
Szavay entered as a late entry, so she had to qualify cuz there was no spot left in the MD. She's a LL cuz she lost in the last round of the Q haha, she kinda needed some matches, so it was a good idea to play the qualies

tobias
Feb 26th, 2009, 10:38 PM
Thanks Vincey for that speedy reply - I guessed it might have been that. Kind of ironic when you think she went through qualies because there was no main draw entry left , then lost in the last qualifying round but got through anyway because there were 2 places suddenly vacant in the main draw due to injuries to other players !!!

You are right though - she needs the matches - after a stunning late 2007- early 2008 she is now definitely suffering from Anna Chakvetadze syndrome - hitting the ball anywhere but over the net and inside the lines.