PDA

View Full Version : Hingis and Kournikova are the best team in doubles!!

Berlin_Calling
Sep 1st, 2002, 03:45 AM
I truley believe they are betther than any other team out there, even the Williams sisters :eek:. Im sure they will win this title. Anna's net game is impeccable and Im still amazed at the angles she can create, and the good sense she has on court. And those swinging volleys are lethal!!. Martina is of course on of the best volleyers out there. But most of the time, I had my eyes glued on Anna, lol :rolleyes:. Anyway, when this team is on, like today, they are unbeatable!! And Hopkins and Granville are a decent doubles team.

Becool
Sep 1st, 2002, 03:47 AM
Nah
I still thin Venus and Serena are better :cool:

kiwifan
Sep 1st, 2002, 04:06 AM
Who has more grandslam titles?

I think Pretty and Chucky have only won 2.

Don't the Sisters already have a career Grandslam?:cool: :p :cool:

How about this, since none of them will be doing anything on the weekend of the Indian Wells finals, why don't Pretty:drool: , Venus:kiss: , Serena:drool: and Chucky:p all schedule a doubles exibition for that weekend.

Grycochek
Sep 1st, 2002, 04:08 AM
The Williamses are the best by far. They will blast the opposition off the court.

treufreund
Sep 1st, 2002, 04:10 AM
Martina Navratilova says that Lisa Raymond and Hingis have the best volleys in women's tennis. :D

treufreund
Sep 1st, 2002, 04:11 AM
Hingis has NINE, count them, NINE doubles grand slam titles!!!

Canek
Sep 1st, 2002, 04:16 AM
Martina is the best doubles player nowadays. She have won titles with all her doubles partners: Lucic, Novotna, Zvereva, Pierce, Schett, Gigi Fernández, Sukova, Arantxa, Davenport, Tauziat, and of course Kournikova.
don't forget that martina won the "doubles grandslam" in 1998 playing with Novotna and Lucic.
Together with Anna, Martina has obtained many tournaments:
Indian Wells, Season-Ending Championships (twice) , Australian Open (twice), Philadelphia, Zurich , Filderstadt, Moscow.

so they are the best team??? the answer is yes!!! but right now maybe none of them at her ideal level, so another teams can be a real threat to the spice girls. But i believe in them!

come on spice girls, take this title!!!!!!:hearts: :kiss: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Cybelle Darkholme
Sep 1st, 2002, 04:26 AM
I disagree and since the title of this thread is Martina and Anna not martina here is my evidence.

Venus and Serena

WINNER: 2002 - Wimbledon (w/V. Williams); 2001 - Australian Open (w/V. Williams); 2000 - Wimbledon (w/V. Williams), Olympics (w/V. Williams); 1999 - Roland Garros (w/V. Williams), US Open (w/V. Williams),

Anna and Martina

WINNER: 2002 - Australian Open (w/Hingis);1999 - Australian Open (w/Hingis)

I'm only counting the Top Tournaments:Grandslams and Olympics because they are the BIG ones and clearly v and s have outperformed a and m.

kiwifan
Sep 1st, 2002, 04:29 AM
Originally posted by treufreund
Hingis has NINE, count them, NINE doubles grand slam titles!!! :confused:

I know you're very emotional when it comes to Chucky, but no one is saying she isn't a good doubles player, just (her team is) not as good as the Williams Sisters.

Is Chucky a part of any team with a career grandslam?

What's Chucky's head to head in doubles against the either sister?

I honestly don't know, but would love to know the answer.:angel:

RYNJ
Sep 1st, 2002, 04:34 AM
Originally posted by treufreund
Martina Navratilova says that Lisa Raymond and Hingis have the best volleys in women's tennis. :D

I DISAGREE WITH MARTINA N!!! I think ANna K has the best

Amanda
Sep 1st, 2002, 04:41 AM
I think Williams/Williams is the better team.

CellJr300
Sep 1st, 2002, 04:47 AM
The way I see it, they are the 2 top teams, but unfortunately they hardly play each other. If the 2 teams were to play more often I honestly believe that they would split most of the titles between them. The only team that is ever able to really challenge the Williams is Hingis/Kournikova, and it seems like the only team that has the ability to play at the same skill level in doubles as Hingis/Kournikova would be the Williams.

CellJr300
Sep 1st, 2002, 04:54 AM
If my stats are correct, they have only played each other 1 time, and that was a 3 setter in the 99 French Final.

AmberJ
Sep 1st, 2002, 04:55 AM
I do not have a complete list of Martina's doubles record

here is her record from the ones I have.

Women's Doubles--- Evert Cup -1998
Indian Wells
Quarterfinals 5-7 6-4 6-1
Mirijana Lucic /Martina Hingis, SUI vs. Venus Williams, USA /Serena Williams, USAWIN
Women's Doubles--- F O -1999
Roland Garros - Paris
Finals 3-6 7-6 6-8
Anna Kournakova, RUS /Martina Hingis, SUI vs.Williams, USA /Williams, USA L
Women's Doubles--- Adidas International -2001
Sidney
Round 1 6-4 3-6 7- 6
Monica Seles, USA /Martina Hingis, SUI vs. Williams, USA /Williams, USA WIN
Women's Doubles --- A O - 2001
Melbourne
Simifinals 5-7 2-6
Monica Seles, USA /M Hingis vs. Venus Williams, USA /Serena Williams, USA L

jadore
Sep 1st, 2002, 04:56 AM
williams fans u r all in denial, firstly, hingis and kournikova are the best doubles team coz they have finness and variety in their game. secondly, it is alrite to say that the williams' are the best doubles team but the way u say it is so bloody provocative (i.e. pretty and chucky) and then we r the ppl that get in trouble coz u r arrogant and this is the problem that happens in most williams' threads!

Cybelle Darkholme
Sep 1st, 2002, 04:57 AM
Here is the Venus and Serena versus Martina and Anna head to head:

martina and anna lost
roland garros 1999
Final V. Williams / S. Williams 3-6 7-6 6-8

And thats all she wrote.

excuse me but how do you get in trouble because of what someone else writes? Take responsiblity for what you write and quit whining. You think anna and martina are better because they use finesse and variety to a greater extent than venus and serena. Fine thats your opinon. However most people with common sense would say the pair with the career grand slam and with the win over the other team is better. Why, because they won. To me its really simple and there is nothing "arrogant" in that.

don't get me wrong, anna and martina are a great team. They are just not the best team.

Basically your reasoning is not sound. That would be like saying Martina Hingis is a better player than steffi graf which is not true because of the RESULTS.

goodolvs
Sep 1st, 2002, 04:58 AM
i think the best one is Williams sisters

CellJr300
Sep 1st, 2002, 05:00 AM
That proves my point though, when imo the 2 best doubles teams have only played each other once. The Williams have won almost every tournament thay have entered with the excetion of maybe 4, and the same is true for Hingis/Kournikova. It is a shame that the 2 best teams never play each other.

Sam L
Sep 1st, 2002, 05:02 AM
I wouldn't look too much into that French Open Doubles final 1999.

That match was played the day after the infamous Ladies' singles final :eek:

If I wasn't Martina I would've just skipped the doubles final and left the country and left the stupid Frenchies without a tennis match. LOL! Alas she's not like that :rolleyes:

Anyhow, having said that, the Williams sisters are the best doubles team. But Martina is the best doubles player, she can play well with anyone. 9 doubles titles with 5 different partners is proof of that.

Canek
Sep 1st, 2002, 05:03 AM
Originally posted by AmberJ
I do not have a complete list of Martina's doubles record

here is her record from the ones I have.

Martina Hingis:
CAREER HIGHLIGHTS - DOUBLES
WINNER (36): 2002 - Australian Open (w/Kournikova), Hamburg (w/Schett); 2001 - Moscow (w/Kournikova); 2000 - Roland Garros (w/Pierce), Season-Ending Championships (w/Kournikova), Tokyo [Pan Pacific] (w/Pierce), Canadian Open (w/Tauziat), Filderstadt (w/Kournikova), Zurich (w/Kournikova), Philadelphia (w/Kournikova); 1999 - Australian Open (w/Kournikova), Season-Ending Championships (w/Kournikova), Indian Wells (w/Kournikova), Miami (w/Novotna), Italian Open (w/Kournikova), Eastbourne (w/Kournikova); 1998 - Australian Open (w/Lucic), Roland Garros (w/Novotna), Wimbledon (w/Novotna), US Open (w/Novotna), Sydney (w/Sukova), Tokyo [Pan Pacific] (w/Lucic), Miami (w/Novotna), Los Angeles (w/Zvereva), Canadian Open (w/Novotna); 1997 - Australian Open (w/Zvereva), Paris Indoors (w/Novotna), Hilton Head (w/M.J. Fernandez), Stanford (w/Davenport), San Diego (w/Sanchez-Vicario), Leipzig (w/Novotna), Filderstadt (w/Sanchez-Vicario), Zurich (w/Sanchez-Vicario); 1996 - Wimbledon (w/Sukova), Zurich (w/Sukova); 1995 - Hamburg (w/G. Fernandez)

Anna Kournikova:
WINNER (15): 2002 - Australian Open (w/Hingis); 2001 - Sydney (w/Schett), Moscow (w/Hingis); 2000 - Season-Ending Championships (w/Hingis), Gold Coast (w/Halard-Decugis), Hamburg (w/Zvereva), Filderstadt (w/Hingis), Zurich (w/Hingis), Philadelphia (w/Hingis); 1999 - Australian Open (w/Hingis), Season-Ending Championships (w/Hingis), Indian Wells (w/Hingis), Italian Open (w/Hingis), Eastbourne (w/Hingis); 1998 - Tokyo [Princess Cup] (w/Seles)

hope this help
;)

Cybelle Darkholme
Sep 1st, 2002, 05:04 AM
I would like to see a martina and venus match agains anna and serena. That would be a great exhibition for a charity or something and also help them get over that sisterly vibe when they play each other.

Canek
Sep 1st, 2002, 05:09 AM
Williams Team: (They never played with another girls)
WINNER (9): 2002 - Wimbledon (w/S. Williams); 2001 - Australian Open (w/S. Williams); 2000 - Wimbledon (w/S. Williams), Olympics (w/S. Williams); 1999 - Roland Garros (w/S. Williams), US Open (w/S. Williams), Hannover (w/S. Williams); 1998 - Oklahoma City (w/S. Williams), Zurich (w/S. Williams)

i guess that the numbers talks by itself;)

CellJr300
Sep 1st, 2002, 05:09 AM
It doesn't say much about the rest of the doubles teams though, when just about any time the Williams or Hingis/Kournikova enter a tournament they win. Especially for Raymond/Stubbs who are #1, but I don't think they would be if either team played doubles more regularly.

treufreund
Sep 1st, 2002, 05:14 AM
Give it a rest. They are both great teams but martina makes a great team with tons of players.

Also sorry daniel but just cuz kournikova gets to hit a lot of easy high volleys to put away does not mean she is the best volleyer. MARTINA NAVRATILOVA has played against both Hingis and Kournikova and won 167 titles so when she says that Hingis and Raymond are the best I think you ought to agree with Martina Navratilova. I would say she knows a little more about volleys and tennis than you will ever know, and I say that respectfully, no offense intended.

Personally I would love to see Venus/Hingis vs. Serena/Navratilova. Kournikova is phenomenal in her athleticism and ANTICIPATION.. She really does have great movement laterally along the net. Doubles is just as much about thinking and movement as it is about shotmaking.

Also yes it's stupid to call them Chucky and Pretty. I am sure I could think up some nasty names for the sisters sledgehammer but what's the point when they are awesome all-around players? :)

Also that Martina narrowly lost to them in doubles a day after that Graf finale is really incredible. I think even Willie fans would have to admit that. :D

FS
Sep 1st, 2002, 05:15 AM
go spice girls!!!!;)

Cybelle Darkholme
Sep 1st, 2002, 05:16 AM
True, compared to the other teams Renaee and Stubbs is a big Joke. I think anytime the other two teams enter a tournament they should get the number one seed.

CellJr300
Sep 1st, 2002, 05:18 AM
No, I like the fact that neither of the 2 teams get the #1 seed and when they inevitably knock out Raymond/Stubbs they prove to everybody that either of them are better than Raymond/Stubbs.

lukehingis
Sep 1st, 2002, 05:27 AM
Martina and Anna are definately a better TEAM. The William sisters are great individual players playing doubles. They rely alot on their power and atheletism and they are just taking 1/2 court each instead of using alot of doubles tactics. When they play doubles they often clash their rackets when reacting to volleys down the centre. Spice Girls vs Sisters would be a close match up and could go either way. I'd give the sisters an edge on grass though'. But if they play like 8 tournaments a year each, they would be 1 and 2 in the world. They would beat Raymond/stubbs or Ruana/Suarez quite easily.

As for doubles records. Excluding walkovers, spice girls have lost only 3 matches together to great doubles teams!
1. William sisters (FO 99 after hingis' meltdown in the finals :O)
2. Likhovseva/Black (san diego 00, anna just came back from injury)
3. Sugiyama/Halard Decugis (Moscow 00, a little while after the spice girls played against each other in doubles)

So they spice girls are quite unbeatable. But they face a stern test against 2 good doubles players in 3rd Rd in the form of Rubin and Zvereva.

CellJr300
Sep 1st, 2002, 05:39 AM
I was just wondering why people don't count walkovers as either wins or losses. In my wrestling career whenevre I had to forfeit a match it counted as a loss, or when somebody else forfeited against me I got a win.

Just wondering?

martinafan
Sep 1st, 2002, 05:43 AM
Look at this stat:

Hingis/Kournikova:
Grand Slams played: - 3 (99 Aus, 99 French, 02 Aus)
Grand slam titles: 2 (Aus 99, Aus 02)

Williams/Williams:
Grand slams played: 11 (97 US, 98 Aus, 99 Aus, 99 French, 99 US, 00 Wim, 00 US, 01 Aus, 01 Wimb, 01 US, 02 Wim)
Grand Slam titles: 5

So, it's pretty hard for martina and anna to have won as many GS's as venus/serena, if they have only played 3 GS's together.......

I'm not saying one team is better than the other, just that using # of GSs to compare is pretty unfair to martina/anna.

kiwifan
Sep 1st, 2002, 05:49 AM
Pretty is an insult?

I'm a Chucky fan so you guys are just being a tad sensitive (something you tend to say about others isn't it?). I love how the Sisters don't know how to play doubles properly.

What does that say about everyone else in the WTA?

At least some of you have a clue.

Indian Wells weekend would be a great time to settle the issue.

treufreund
Sep 1st, 2002, 06:16 AM
yep 2 out of 3 is better than 5 out of 11.

Becool
Sep 1st, 2002, 06:33 AM
Sorry but you guys are comparing the team Anna and HINGIS!

Not Hingis and all WTA as her partners. Hingis is a good doubles player for sure, Anna too, but when we talk about the gear between the both teams, nothing better than two sisters playing together. Ok, ok, Anna and Hingis are playing for a long time and they have a good relationship.

But when you're playing with your sister is different, and that's what makes Venus and Serena the best double team.

And doesn't matter about how many times they've tried for win Grand Slams. What matters is that they have more Grand Slams then Anna and Martina!

Williams sister won in French Open fair and square! No reason to associate with Martina's meltdown in the singles. If it was that serious, Williams wouldn't need to save a match point in that match.

And why the Williams Sisters aren't a good team cause they play with power and etc? Well they also do the same in singles and they keep being better than Anna and Martina in singles too! I don't know what's the problem!
Some people...

You can't understand then :rolleyes:

PS: Team Anna Kournikova and MARTINA Hingis has 11 titles.
Williams has 9. Not that far, but Williams only play Grand Slams, and not all of them! Anna and Martina likely play every tournament, not all, but SURELY more than Venus and Serena! And you think that's fair also? If they were zillion times better, they would have to have a great advantage, but it doesn't seem so.. And in terms of, quality of titles, the Williams are better. So for me the Williams are better :p

jadore
Sep 1st, 2002, 07:53 AM
results don't always say whos the best player! does that mean anne kremer is a better player than dokic? If you are going by results, then i can assume the following:

Hingis is a better player than venus coz she holds a 9-8 lead against her in singles matches.

Coetzer and Graf are equal players coz theyr are tied at 3-3 in singles matches.

so ur reasoning is noy sound if you go by statistics coz although i do agree emphatically that hingis is the better player than venus, most ppl at present wouldn't agree with this.

ALPHA
Sep 1st, 2002, 08:46 AM
. . . that Williams/Williams are the more successful team out of the two top-teams.

5 Grand Slam titles including the Career Grand Slam compared to 2 Grand Slam titles (both in Melbourne) are facts.

A bit unfair is it to include the Olympics here - a great achievement, but Spice Girls never will have the chance to play the Olympics (unless Martina turns Russian, Anna turns Swiss or both turn American).

The head-to-head record in favor of Williams/Williams is a fact - the singles final doesn't matter at all. If you walk on court, you have to play and take responsibility - inujured or not, handicaped or not. The results count.

However even the Williams fans have admit, that there are records in Spice Girls' favor, such as the amazing win-loss record, the number of titles in total, the career high rankings of each team (race to chase standings including season ending masters points).
Btw: it's not true that Spice Grils play way more tournaments a year compared to the Williams sisters. Actually they hardly played together during the past 21 months because of all the injuries and fall-out's between them.

The best 2 doubles teams - that's fair in my opinion, because they never seem to play the same tournaments - almost playing two different tours, parallel doubles careers.

monicain
Sep 1st, 2002, 09:17 AM
It seems Williams fans cannot accept any voice not to say Williamses are the best . That's sad :sad: Poor insight.

p.s. Oh, it's pretty&chucky vs venus&serena? Pardon, my local tabloids called the 99 RG final a matchup between the angels versus the uglies. It's not my word I swear.I totally agreed with the columnist but I never refered to that coz I feel ashame insult persons from their weak point.

p.s.2 ppl who buy tickets to see this matchup are sooo lucky;)

FS
Sep 1st, 2002, 11:33 AM
the best and most beautiful doubles partners of all time.;)

martinafan
Sep 1st, 2002, 12:07 PM
I personally think that they are pretty much equal...that if they played they have a 50-50 chance.....

I was only pointing out that Martina/Anna have not played that many grand slams so it was impossible for them to have won as many as venus and serena, so that was not a good way to compare them fairly....i was not using the stat to say that martina and anna have a better winning % in their slams so they are better. That is NOT what i was saying.

They are both the best doubles teams in the world, and like ALPHA said, each team has something over the other team, whether it be the willies GS titles and the head-to-head or the spice's total titles, and brilliant w-l record.....so, IMO, they are equal!