PDA

View Full Version : Melissa Torres retires

selesfan1
Feb 24th, 2009, 02:56 PM
I don't know if anyone posted this already but here is a link.
http://www.televisadeportes.com/tenis/043854/melissa-torres-despide-abierto-mexicano
Basically, she says that she wanted to be the best, be in the top 100 and that she will play in Monterrey and after that she will re take a job she had a with a local telephone company.
I liked Melissa, I really did. I don't think she ever really had the fire and work ethic to get where she wanted. She always talked about wanting to be top 100 but she never really took steps to get there.
She would often skip 10ks in Mexico and the U.S. to go play 50ks and 25ks in Europe and while it was nice that she wanted to get better competition she did not have the experience and confidence that comes with winning.
She often seemed too satisfied having a good week and them not playing well for the rest of the year whether it had been in 10ks and 25ks or in Acapulco in 2007.
The problem in Mexico is most of these girls are middle-upper middle class and see tennis as a hobby no matter how talented they may be. Jessica Fernandez,Maria Jose Lopez,Melissa, hopefully Valeria Pulido will make somthing of herself.

Jose.
Feb 24th, 2009, 06:47 PM
No one cares :shrug:

rucolo
Feb 24th, 2009, 10:21 PM
Thanks for information. I care.:)

LegionArgentina
Feb 24th, 2009, 10:23 PM
What shame that she retired.I have watched her playing and she has a nice game,she is quite young 25 years old.. but I think that it is not the first time that she said that she will retire and then keep playing but this time it seems that she is definitly saying goodbye.
I was wondering what happen to Valeria Pulido? :confused:

LegionArgentina
Feb 24th, 2009, 10:25 PM
No one cares :shrug:

:rolleyes::rolleyes:
She has some fans around here so please shut up :wavey:

hellas719
Feb 24th, 2009, 10:33 PM
:sad:. It's too bad. Stamatia Fafaliou of Greece is a great example. She skips 10ks to play 220k WTA Qualies to lose in QR1 and occasionally QR2. She is a ball basher, and has great groundstrokes, but she needs more experience in 10ks before she moves up.

andrewbroad
Feb 24th, 2009, 10:33 PM
I'm sorry to 'hear' about Melissa Torres Sandoval's retirement. I've never seen her play, but I always enjoy the photos of her from this tournament each year. She is a unique beauty with a lovely smile.

Calliope.
Feb 25th, 2009, 12:52 AM
Sorry to hear this :sad:

crazylace01
Feb 25th, 2009, 01:06 AM
I had the pleasure of meeting Melissa and her mother in Hammond last year and she was really a sweet girl who put in countless hours on the practice courts every day. I wish her luck in her life after tennis!

Alek
Feb 25th, 2009, 01:28 AM
Melissa had retired since last year... but made this comeback with two loses...
She said Acapulco was her last tournament... but just received a wc to Monterrey next week...
She has retired like 50 times and has comeback the same ammount of time... :rolleyes: nice credibility

Good luck anyways.

Jose.
Feb 25th, 2009, 10:32 AM
:rolleyes::rolleyes:
She has some fans around here so please shut up :wavey:

I was just asking :rolleyes:

Freakan
Feb 25th, 2009, 10:42 AM
Again?

Oswald56
Feb 26th, 2009, 06:38 AM
Thanks for info