PDA

View Full Version : Why did careers of Vaidisova, Paszek, Szavay, Mirza, Safarova, Golovin all collapse?

chuvack
Feb 24th, 2009, 11:35 AM
Two years ago no one would have surpised if all 6 of these once-promising young players would be members of today's Top 10. It's like a divine conspiracy.

Shvedbarilescu
Feb 24th, 2009, 11:51 AM
There is not one reason. There are six different individual reasons for six different individual players.

It should also be mentioned that a) they are not the 1st ever young players to slump badly after good starts to the careers and they won't be the last either and b)some of the these players aren't done yet and have the best part of the careers ahead of them. As to predicting which of these players are finished and which aren't I can't do that. Each of these players fate still lies in their own hands, with the possible exception of Tatiana whose fate still depends on how well she can heal from her injuries.

bobbynorwich
Feb 24th, 2009, 11:54 AM
Two years ago no one would have surprised if all 6 of these once-promising young players would be members of today's Top 10. It's like a divine conspiracy.

Maybe they're not in top 10 due to the weight of the professional circuit --- fame, commitments, money, schedule --- which can get to some people more than others.

Add Hantuchova to the list also.

Volcana
Feb 24th, 2009, 12:09 PM
Two years ago no one would have surpised if all 6 of these once-promising young players would be members of today's Top 10. It's like a divine conspiracy.If you asked me in 2007, I'd have said I'd be shocked of all six of those players were in the top ten.

Venus, Serena, Sharapova, Henin, Mauresmo had all won slams within the previous 18 months. We certainly didn't know Henin was going to retire, or Kim Clijsters or that Myskina wouldn't return.

And back then, we thought the 'Russian wave' was going to mean a lot of slam wins, not just a lot of players in the top twenty.

As for what happened to them, some combination of not enough talent, not enough skill, and not enough health. None of them never were as good as any of the current active multi-slam winners are right now. (I'm ot counting Davenport. I am counting Mauresmo.) But this is normal. Promising young players usually DON'T win slams. Mostly they don't get to the top ten. And if they do, it's later in their careers.

Welcome back to reality, I guess.

DimaDinosaur
Feb 24th, 2009, 12:14 PM
Vaidisova is not surprising. She was just a bad looking ball machine. Svazay is just bad looking in general.

Mirza and Safarova have hope (i dunno what is wrong with safarova). Paszek is still young (burned out?) Golovin is too sexually charged. All that sex is gonna wreck her movement and ball toss. I dunno how she got the ankle injury, but i'm sure it's related to sex again....

Fired
Feb 24th, 2009, 12:20 PM
Vaidisova is not surprising. She was just a bad looking ball machine. Svazay is just bad looking in general.

Mirza and Safarova have hope (i dunno what is wrong with safarova). Paszek is still young (burned out?) Golovin is too sexually charged. All that sex is gonna wreck her movement and ball toss. I dunno how she got the ankle injury, but i'm sure it's related to sex again....
:haha:Girl just wanna have fun.

goldenlox
Feb 24th, 2009, 12:21 PM
Nicole is probably the only real top 10 type talent. But she's made some money and maybe isn't motivated enough.

chuvack
Feb 24th, 2009, 12:24 PM
Add Hantuchova to the list also.

absolutely do NOT add Hantuchova, who is a marginal talent from an earlier generation, and it was clear already many years before that she lacked both the mobility and mental toughness to become a great player. But add maybe Peer who many expected more from.

new-york
Feb 24th, 2009, 12:25 PM
the only collapse is Vaidisova, but she's young, there's still hope.

Tati is always injured.

Sania has been injured too, but she's coming back, and i love her but i'm not sure she'll do that much damage. I'd be satisfied with a top 20 appearance and some titles.

Safarova has a lot of potential. :(

volta
Feb 24th, 2009, 12:27 PM
Tati is all about her injury :sad:

now Nicole , Pazsek and Lucie is all a MESS :rolleyes::fiery::o

chuvack
Feb 24th, 2009, 12:28 PM
Nicole is probably the only real top 10 type talent. But she's made some money and maybe isn't motivated enough.

how much Nicole made, maybe 2 million? She could have been the next 50 million dollar WTA superstar.

Miss Atomic Bomb
Feb 24th, 2009, 12:28 PM
Nicole - She seems to have lost all her motivation. All that publicity and money seems to have addled her passion for tennis

Pazek- She is still 18, she has a good chance of coming back and doing better. Hopefully she will.

Golovin - Same problem as Nicole, too much publicity, lack of motivation

Mirza - She never had a lot of potential to begin with. Just a ball bashing forehand and extreme hype. She had three lucky wins over the top 10 in the span of 4 years (Hingis on her comeback and off-form sveta), and a mickey-mouse title in her home country.

Safarova/Szavay - One season wonders?

goldenlox
Feb 24th, 2009, 12:30 PM
how much Nicole made, maybe 2 million? She could have been the next 50 million dollar WTA superstar.There's a lot of work, and a lot of aches and pains to get that extra money.
It's not like turning on a light switch

AcesHigh
Feb 24th, 2009, 12:31 PM
I think Vaidisova is vastly overrated and Golovin is too but only in this forum. I didn't think Mirza, Paszek, Safarova or Szavay were top 10 fixtures anyway.

AnnaK_4ever
Feb 24th, 2009, 12:32 PM
Paszek and Mirza in top-10? :haha:

You've got to be kidding...

Volcana
Feb 24th, 2009, 12:39 PM
But seriously folks ...

First of all, injuries can take anybody down. Venus Williams post-2004 isn't the physical player she was before her ab injury. Amelie Mauresmo re-built her whole body and game to compensate for a chronic back injury. So maybe you're just being impatient. As for my opinions ....

Vaidisova - She's 19 yrs old. Sex + money + fame + lack of discipline

Mirza - Learn to so something besides hit the ball hard. Although the way she was greeted at the airport after winning the mixed at OZ makes you wonder if her fans think she's under-achieving.

Sarafova - Had a horrible 2008. No idea why. Physical tools are there.

Paszek - She only played her first slam in 2007. Why would I have expected her to be top ten by now?

Szavay - No clue.

Golovin - I never thought she was that good. No 'future slam winner' good, but I did expect her to at least have been in the top ten by now. However, this is a case where injuries seem to have taken chunks out of her career. May 2008, she played on the challengers tour, and lost to #129 Maret Ani. She played, and lost, a WTA match the next week, and no one has heard from her since (except as a swimsuit model).

chuvack
Feb 24th, 2009, 12:41 PM
Paszek and Mirza in top-10? :haha:

You've got to be kidding...

NOW, you laugh. But were you laughing already in the autumn of 2006?

AnnaK_4ever
Feb 24th, 2009, 12:47 PM
NOW, you laugh. But were you laughing already in the autumn of 2006?

The crazy idea of Mirza had Paszek being top-10 has never visited my mind. Never.

pwayne
Feb 24th, 2009, 12:49 PM
Nicole - She seems to have lost all her motivation. All that publicity and money seems to have addled her passion for tennis

Pazek- She is still 18, she has a good chance of coming back and doing better. Hopefully she will.

Mirza - She never had a lot of potential to begin with. Just a ball bashing forehand and extreme hype. She had three lucky wins over the top 10 in the span of 4 years (Hingis on her comeback and off-form sveta), and a mickey-mouse title in her home country.

Nicole: Agree as her concentration is on Radek Stepanek

Tamira: She will do well if she gets Lari coaching her again

Tatiana: Would add injuries to the list.

Sania: She was slowed by injuries for a better part of 2 years but after she did good against Venus at 2005 Stanford, the hype machine went in overdrive.

Lucie: Yes. She has underachieved for her talent just like her boyfriend, Tomas Berdych.

Agnes: Yes. She had a good stretch from 2007 Palermo to 2007 Beijing.

Aravanecaravan
Feb 24th, 2009, 01:02 PM
I don't think you can write off any of them. Some players, no matter how talented or how much promise they show, take longer to develop than others. Look at Schnyder. I remember back when she was being hyped as a future star, then the reports of all sorts of attitude problems, strange diets, etc. and honestly, she's played her best tennis very late in her career, after getting her head sorted out. Mauresmo was talented, but did not fulfil her potential until 2006, when she was in her mid 20's. Henin herself really only became a great player within the last few years of her career.

Right now, Wozniacki, Cibulkova, Cornet, Radwanska are having more success, but IMHO none of them have the weapons or specialness in their game to make them lasting fixtures at or near the top of the game. Vaidisova has a huge game, "ballbasher" or not, and if she gets her attitude sorted out, she will be an elite player eventually. Paszek has the groundstrokes to compete with anybody. If she ever manages to improve her serve, she will be top ten for sure. Having four different coaches in the last year can't have helped her development as a player. If she stays with one for awhile, she will improve dramatically. Mirza is probably a Top 20 player but has never shown consistency to go much beyond that. Golovin has a nice game, good forehand, good serve, and could hang around the top ten if she ever got--and stayed--healthy. But there's time yet for that. These players are all young. Some of you act like if you haven't won a major or reached #1 by 15 you're over the hill. In reality, it's only a very small number of players who ever win majors or peak as players before they are in their 20s.

Slutiana
Feb 24th, 2009, 01:20 PM

No, the last time Tati was fit, she was like 15-3 after the USO, winning 1 title, and then getting to the final of a tier I and II and a Tier II QF.... Shes just so unlucky. :o:o
I think Vaidisova is vastly overrated and Golovin is too but only in this forum. I didn't think Mirza, Paszek, Safarova or Szavay were top 10 fixtures anyway.
Just because shes not a ballbasher doesn't mean she's overrated. :o
But seriously folks ...

First of all, injuries can take anybody down. Venus Williams post-2004 isn't the physical player she was before her ab injury. Amelie Mauresmo re-built her whole body and game to compensate for a chronic back injury. So maybe you're just being impatient. As for my opinions ....

Vaidisova - She's 19 yrs old. Sex + money + fame + lack of discipline

Mirza - Learn to so something besides hit the ball hard. Although the way she was greeted at the airport after winning the mixed at OZ makes you wonder if her fans think she's under-achieving.

Sarafova - Had a horrible 2008. No idea why. Physical tools are there.

Paszek - She only played her first slam in 2007. Why would I have expected her to be top ten by now?

Szavay - No clue.

Golovin - I never thought she was that good. No 'future slam winner' good, but I did expect her to at least have been in the top ten by now. However, this is a case where injuries seem to have taken chunks out of her career. May 2008, she played on the challengers tour, and lost to #129 Maret Ani. She played, and lost, a WTA match the next week, and no one has heard from her since (except as a swimsuit model).
Thats because she was always too busy being injured to show people how great she could be. :sad:

RIP Tati's career. :sad:

anubhuti24
Feb 24th, 2009, 02:21 PM
vaidisova is gone.........she has no hope at all.....
mirza is returning back....though she is injured all the time....n tht is the major problem with her.....she had a wonderful us hardcourt 2007 season whch wud hav taken her to top 20 neways...before she was injured.....top 10 is a bit far fetched
safarova......she has hope....she willl come back hopefully
paszek...really???
szavay....no clue wht has happ to her
golovin...her career seems to be over....i guess she has some medical prob....she rilly cant help...

Optima
Feb 24th, 2009, 02:26 PM
I still have faith in Lucie.

Tennis Fool
Feb 24th, 2009, 02:27 PM
I don't get this thread. Not all of these players are dealing with the same problems:

1. Vaidisova. Dealing with "being young and in love". Tennis may not be her focus right now. I expect her to have a comeback in the next two years.

2. Paszek. I think she's having coaching problems, but going through the "sophomore slump". Nothing unexpected.

3. Szavay. Another sophomore slump.

4. Mirza is coming out of her sophomore slump.

5. Safarova, despite this last loss, has been coming out of her slump since last fall. She was in the 70s, 80s, now back at 51. I'm not sure is she is Top 10 talent anyway.

6. Golovin may be dealing with career ending arthritis.

mirzalover
Feb 24th, 2009, 03:05 PM
Seriously people. I'm a HUGE and I mean HUGE Mirza fan but that girl was never making the Top 10.

Dawson.
Feb 24th, 2009, 03:31 PM
Vaidisova - Motivation, Off court... interests, confidence maybe?
Paszek - No idea :confused: Lack of serve, but that didn't stop her in her incredible 2007 season, change in coach, Confidence again maybe?
Szavay - Biggest mystery of them all
Mirza - Injuries, inconsistant, lack of B game
Safarova - inconsistant, confidence, but overall still quite a mystery
Golovin - injuries, injuries, injuires :sobbing:

5 of my favourites in this list... maybe I'm bad luck :unsure:

Sammm
Feb 24th, 2009, 03:45 PM
Mirza and Safarova = top 30 players
Paszek = good tennis player, terrible athlete
Golovin - overrated. Only time she played really well was the indoor season and green clay... No slams are played on those surfaces. Hope she gets better though.
Vadisova= big hit mess who's been discussed a million times. Radek = kryptonite for her. It's generally like that. Better to fuck your coach and not another player.
Szavay = top 20 apart from the bhand :drool:

as1991
Feb 24th, 2009, 03:47 PM
Seriously people. I'm a HUGE and I mean HUGE Mirza fan but that girl was never making the Top 10.

how true.....bt atleast she was making top 20.....bt her constant injuries is lik....:fiery:

Sammm
Feb 24th, 2009, 03:47 PM
We could add Krajicek to this list - not good enough for top 10, but a top 20/ 30 player.

as1991
Feb 24th, 2009, 03:49 PM
n btw thy r nt old....thy r still young.....their career is nt finished.....so chill

matthias
Feb 24th, 2009, 03:51 PM
to be a top player it need to have TALENT, the MIND and the BODY

if someone is missing you will never make it to the top

Temperenka
Feb 24th, 2009, 04:06 PM
Vaidisova was top 10 and should still be top 10. End of discussion with her. She'll be back.
Paszek is still only 18. She has a good game and I see her hitting a career high around the low teens.. probably not top 10 though.
Szavay was a one season wonder that is now on her way out. I don't think she will be top 20 again.
Mirza is a good player and should be hovering in the 20's but will probably never hit top 10 with her one dimensional game.
Safarova is too inconsistent to be top 10. She is a good player but has terrible streaks (2008).
Golovin is a different story because of her injury. Had potential to be Top 10. Sad story.

jrm
Feb 24th, 2009, 04:22 PM
They all made quick climb up the rankings and immediatelly people had top10 written all over!

Haven't seen Vaidisova play much after her ranking collapse ... some really alarming loses lately!

Paszek, Mirza ... hyped by media, nall-bashers who had some nice wins along the way, nothing more!

Will be interesting to see what will Cornet (how come is she so high in the ranking with that game is beyond me), Wozniacki, Cibulkova, Azarenka do in next year or two!

ViennaCalling
Feb 24th, 2009, 05:13 PM
They all made quick climb up the rankings and immediatelly people had top10 written all over!

Haven't seen Vaidisova play much after her ranking collapse ... some really alarming loses lately!

Paszek, Mirza ... hyped by media, nall-bashers who had some nice wins along the way, nothing more!

Will be interesting to see what will Cornet (how come is she so high in the ranking with that game is beyond me), Wozniacki, Cibulkova, Azarenka do in next year or two!

Since when Tamira is hyped? :spit:

matty
Feb 24th, 2009, 05:51 PM
absolutely do NOT add Hantuchova, who is a marginal talent from an earlier generation, and it was clear already many years before that she lacked both the mobility and mental toughness to become a great player. But add maybe Peer who many expected more from.

Marginal talent? The girl has been able to stay around the top 20 and above for yrs (other than a few bad yrs when she was anorexic)

She's got lots of talent, but is mentally weak. She is considered by many to be a player that never reached her full potential.

saniapower
Feb 24th, 2009, 05:57 PM
Mirza going up

DevilishAttitude
Feb 24th, 2009, 06:57 PM
Well, I believe the main reason Vaidisova has never reached the level of her potential, is her mental game. It was never particularly good even when she was playing well, but nowadays she's a complete mess. Admittely I've watched very little of her since her good days, but the last time I did, in the 3rd set at Wimbledon against Zheng, she was just going through the motions, making error after error but not really reacting, and it's such a shame. I believe she's been slowly declining though since early 2007, when she suffered wrist problems and basically didn't play the clay or hard court seasons by the 2 slams. She was consisent, but not overally impressive, and then she started suffering a few losses to players she was crushing in 2006, the confidence went, the movement stopped, and her reaction was one of a complete lack of care. Combined with the change of coach, and her relationship with Stepanek, who knows if she will ever be a Top 50 player again, let alone anything else. And it's a shame, cos IMHO, she was the best player after Sharapova. I'd ever claim she was more naturally talented than Maria, but as goes to show, you don't get anyway with a lack of a mental game, and that's why Maria has won 3 slams, and Nicole's only reached 2 slam SF.

Paszek has never recovered since the Jankovic match (Her miss on the 2nd(?) MP is still one of the worst misses of all time IMO) and she was never an exceptional talent anyway.

Szavay is a strange one. She's very watchable, and has an excellent game when she gets it right, but she only ever got it right from July-September 2007. Her results were not overally impressive before then, and now she seems to be getting slowly worse, rather than better, maybe she was just a player who simply has already had her moment, and won't have it again.

Mirza I believed was a potential slam winner when I 1st saw her, but now she'd be doing well to have a solid Top 30 career. I don't believe she has the same firepower she had when she 1st came onto the scene, and she will never have enough game to be a threat in a slam. Should be happy with the odd big win, 4th Round/QF of a slam now and again.

Safarova is STREAKY. IMO, too streaky to ever be a consisent top player, but I believe she could cause a few upsets now and again. Darkhorse and dangerous floater? Yes. Consisent top player? Probably not.

Golovin, I never believed had the game to be a grand slam contender, and her body let her down time and again. There's no guarantee she's coming back anyway is there?

:)

Sammm
Feb 24th, 2009, 08:28 PM
I hope they all come back strong. It's bad for the tour if they don't. Where is the next generation coming from?

hellas719
Feb 24th, 2009, 08:42 PM
First I'd like to say I would've added Flipkens and Krajicek. Maybe even Masha, although we know she's been injured and all and she has won 3 slams:shrug:

Vaidisova-She's still very young. She might've made Radek her priority:shrug:. Look at Pennetta and Ivanovic. I'm sure she'll find her game again ;)
Paszek-She's rising back up the ranks now :D
Mirza-She's also rising back up the ranks.
Safarova-Similar situation to Vaidisova.
Golovin-Injuries really have haunted her.

partbrit
Feb 24th, 2009, 11:11 PM
I think Golovin, after she was helped by Wilander, was playing superbly. I was so impressed. But I think that she has just had so many issues with her ankles, and then there was that terrible cyst. It's a shame.

I think Safarova is really talented, too, and don't understand what happened to her. Same with Szavay.

goldenlox
Feb 24th, 2009, 11:15 PM
I hope they all come back strong. It's bad for the tour if they don't. Where is the next generation coming from?Don't worry. In 18 years there will be a huge influx of new players, thanks to Octo-mom and her fertility doctor.

Direwolf
Feb 24th, 2009, 11:23 PM
I dont know why you
included Mirza in the group!!??
and Paszek??

who did they beat?? what have the won??

Vaidisova, Szavay, Safarova and Golovin
could all have the game to
defeat the top players
including the 2006 Version of the Williams

KournikovaFan91
Feb 24th, 2009, 11:25 PM
Paszek is a major disapointment, kinda a one hit wonder.

I also cant believe Cornet is ranked so high, she surely has to drop soon.

Direwolf
Feb 24th, 2009, 11:28 PM
and Vaidisova
is above all the rest here...

shes the only i saw who is a slam material!!

tennisbum79
Feb 24th, 2009, 11:47 PM
I will focus my post on Sania, the other women have been covered widely.
Given the circumstances, Sania has already done her job beyond expectations.
Being First at anything is not easy. In her case, there are two major Firsts.

First Indian woman to break in WTA top 50.
First muslim woman of notorierity in India in the WTA.With First, come expectations put oneself, and land mines laid by others.

Sania has rather managed very well and navigated if not eliminated some of these land mines
I think she had done her job (very well) to clear the way for the next woman from India to go further than She did.
In that sense she had exceeded expectations.

Had the cirsumstances been different, could she had gone further?
Of course yes.
But she has already put India on the map and given hope to score of young Indian women.

VeeReeDavJCap81
Feb 25th, 2009, 01:01 AM
Vaidisova-Loss of confidence coupled with crappy groundstrokes.

Paszek/Szavay-Both had success a little premature and couldn't handle the pressure. They will be back once they mature a lil'. Similar thing happened to Ana after she had her first breakthrough.

Mirza-Was never that good to begin with.

Safarova-Loss of confidence like Vaidisova.

Golovin-Um that's pretty obvious :shrug:

as1991
Feb 25th, 2009, 03:39 AM
Given the circumstances, Sania has already done her job beyond expectation.

First muslim woman of notorierity in India in WTA.With First, come expectation put oneself, and land mines laid by others.

Sania has rather managed very well and navigated or eliminated some of these land mines
I think she had done her job (very well) to clear the way for the next woman from India to go further than Sania.

Had the cirsumstances been different, could she had gone further, of course.

i agree with u in some points
bt dont talk lik her career is finished....she is just 22 or 23....loads of years remaining...n the good thng is she is coming back!....maybe in future she does prove ppl wht she has nt been able to!

ASP0315
Feb 25th, 2009, 03:40 AM
Given the circumstances, Sania has already done her job beyond expectation.

First muslim woman of notorierity in India in WTA.With First, come expectation put oneself, and land mines laid by others.

Sania has rather managed very well and navigated or eliminated some of these land mines
I think she had done her job (very well) to clear the way for the next woman from India to go further than Sania.

Had the cirsumstances been different, could she had gone further, of course.

Well said.
Not to mention sania has won 7 doubles titles along with her lone singles title.(she played with several different partners and beating top doubles pairing like like Cara Black/Huber etc.)
She also has a Junior Wimbledon Doubles title and a Senior Australian mixed doubles title(with Mahesh.)
Quite a an achievement for girl who recieved death threats from the Muslim extremist.(or thug groups.)

She is still young and has potential to well in slams.

TennisViewer531
Feb 25th, 2009, 03:54 AM
It's more of the emergence of other teen sensations like Wozniacki, Azarenka and others... They must train more to win more..

anubhuti24
Feb 25th, 2009, 04:59 AM
wozniacki doesnt rilly deserve a top position....does she?

iGOAT
Feb 25th, 2009, 05:10 AM
Vaidisova-Motivation, ditching stepdad cause of Radek, burnout
Paszek-hasn't collapsed
Szavay-ditto
Mirza-ditto
Safarova-Injuries a bit, not that good anyway, hasn't totally collapsed either
Golovin-Injuries

as1991
Feb 25th, 2009, 08:36 AM
^how true....thr r many in ur list whose career has not collapsed at all...

Sammm
Feb 25th, 2009, 11:50 AM
Don't worry. In 18 years there will be a huge influx of new players, thanks to Octo-mom and her fertility doctor.

Goldenlox :haha: :hug: :hearts:

Do I sense a secret Conservative vibe coming from you? :devil: Naughty.

And who will you cheer for if the octobabies are at the top of the game? They're not Russian :sad:

Slutiana
Feb 25th, 2009, 12:03 PM
Mirza and Safarova = top 30 players
Paszek = good tennis player, terrible athlete
Golovin - overrated. Only time she played really well was the indoor season and green clay... No slams are played on those surfaces. Hope she gets better though.
Vadisova= big hit mess who's been discussed a million times. Radek = kryptonite for her. It's generally like that. Better to fuck your coach and not another player.
Szavay = top 20 apart from the bhand :drool:
Thats because for the rest of the time shes usually injured. :tape:

And wow, I can see Vaidisova getting knocked up by Stephanek and retiring. :sobbing: :tape::o

Freakan
Feb 25th, 2009, 12:42 PM
The most talented players of the new generation are ruining their own careers.
As juniors, the best girls born in 1989 were: Vaidisova, Karatancheva, Krajicek. Their careers collapsed mostly because of theis irresponsible choices, not injuries.
The best girl born in 1990 was Paszek. She has also made some really stupid decisions in her career, she also doesn't seem very motivated and hard working. She's probably even playing worse than when she was at 15:o
It really seems that it problem of the whole generation as many young players aren't too focused on tennis.

volta
Feb 25th, 2009, 12:45 PM
wozniacki doesnt rilly deserve a top position....does she?

why not? :scratch:

Monica_Rules
Feb 25th, 2009, 01:28 PM
Mirza and Golovin id down to injuries. Vaidisova and Szavay seems to be a toal lack of confidence.

Pasek i have no idea as she is very talented.

Safarova? who knows i think she had a few sluight injuries.

Davodus
Feb 25th, 2009, 01:34 PM
lucies on her way back up despite her loss in acapulco, she was ranked mid 80's and is now 47 so she is coming back

Ciarán
Feb 25th, 2009, 05:19 PM
Vaidisova - Injured wrist in Dubai 2008, Wrong coaching decisions, distractions, followed by slump. Only 19 years old.
Paszek - Injured for most of 2008, coach problems, inconsistency. Only turned 18 in December.
Szavay - Again suffered with back towards end of 2007, never really fully recovered. Only 20, still ranked No.28 :weirdo:
Mirza - Suffered with wrist injury and only coming back now and as far as I know never projected for top 10. Only 22.
Safarova - Again marred by injury but still captured Forest Hills title in 2008. Only 22.
Golovin - Constantly injured. Only 21.

What I am trying to say is there is a reason these girls have played bad. The majority out of their control as I cannot imagine one of their aims as 'Get Injured'. Nicole and Tamira are still young and sort of at a rebellious stage and taking independence or whatever by changing coaches. Thankfully Nicole has rectified this and is back with Kodat. Also all these girls are still very young, who says they won't ever make the top 10/20 or whatever?

Sammm
Feb 25th, 2009, 05:44 PM
Thats because for the rest of the time shes usually injured. :tape:

And wow, I can see Vaidisova getting knocked up by Stephanek and retiring. :sobbing: :tape::o

:hug: I know. Plus I had another think about it, and I'm wrong. She definitely had top 5-10 potential; hopefully the injury won't take that away from her.

tennisbum79
Feb 25th, 2009, 11:54 PM
i agree with u in some points
bt dont talk lik her career is finished....she is just 22 or 23....loads of years remaining...n the good thng is she is coming back!....maybe in future she does prove ppl wht she has nt been able to!
Point well taken.

I made it sound like she is done already. Thank you for setting me straight.

On the other hand, it shows how much she has done already!

AndyEvans
Feb 25th, 2009, 11:59 PM
I think for a lot of young players out there, it's an indication of just how one dimensional the game has become. Nicole, Tamira, and Sania are all heavy hitters with no other game plan. It's no huge surprise that when they started to lose confidence on the strokes that worked so well for them in the past, that they would go down hill, as they never learned another game plan. They need to really mature there games up if they want to get into the crowded top 10 I believe.

Sania just won a mixed title in Australia didn't she? Perhaps the help of the veteran ATP players can help her bring some volleying skills into her everyday singles game.

as1991
Feb 26th, 2009, 07:14 AM
I think for a lot of young players out there, it's an indication of just how one dimensional the game has become. Nicole, Tamira, and Sania are all heavy hitters with no other game plan. It's no huge surprise that when they started to lose confidence on the strokes that worked so well for them in the past, that they would go down hill, as they never learned another game plan. They need to really mature there games up if they want to get into the crowded top 10 I believe.

Sania just won a mixed title in Australia didn't she? Perhaps the help of the veteran ATP players can help her bring some volleying skills into her everyday singles game.

sania does volley well
bt the prob is she hardly ever plays frm net....she prefers baseline...

genius
Feb 26th, 2009, 11:23 AM
haven't the thread starter and a few other people heard about ups and downs in life?

if "down phases" is supposed to finish off people. then almost all the sucessful people today would not be, where they are now. :)

there is no question of collapse,except a mini collpase in case of vaidisova who seems to have a serious distraction at the moment.

Navratil
Feb 26th, 2009, 01:14 PM
Good question!

But Golowin doesn't belong to that list. She doesn't struggle - she's not playing at all because off injuries!

Navratil
Feb 26th, 2009, 01:16 PM
Vaidisova looked like she could be the next Venus Williams, Szavay was so consistent und Safarova played some brilliant matches.

It's unbelievable what happend to them...

But: Have a look at Jelena Dokic! Don't write them off!

miffedmax
Feb 26th, 2009, 04:27 PM
I always thought Nicole was sort of the lesser version of TOB, and I think part of the problem is her off court life, but part of it is that the other players have solved her game. I didn't see her falling this far, but I didn't really see her as one of the next superstars either.

Paszek is, I think, a future Top 20 player who is getting it sorted out and will probably have a nice career ahead of her, but nothing super amazing.

Safarova seems to be about the same as Paszek to me. Good, but not amazing. (Okay, actually being Top 20 at anything is pretty amazing when you stop and think about it, but tennis is a cruel sport).

Mirza was, to me, always overhyped because, well, 1 billion hometown fans can't be wrong. Or can they? Seriously, the expectations were always way ahead of her talent. Of course, her talent would have to have been Steffi/Serena/Chrissie level to live up to the hype. I think she may have a Sugiyama like singles career--always very popular, decent success, hovering just outside the elite.

Szavay, I honestly thought was the real deal. See, I have this thing for whackjob blondes...

Golovin had, IMHO, the makings of the classic Gaullic game in the same vein as Amelie and Justine. Someone else mentioned they both peaked later in their careers, and I think that's partly because this style--when it works, blends so many elements of the game. That's why it's fun to watch when it works, and takes a while to develop. Sadly, at this point, I don't think we'll ever know how good Tati might have been. Even if she does come back, she's lost too many years to really reach her true potential. For me, hers is the saddest story of the lot because I really think she could have been something special, particularly on clay.

Aravanecaravan
Feb 26th, 2009, 05:36 PM
I always thought Nicole was sort of the lesser version of TOB, .

And just what similarities *do* you think Nicole has with Elena Dementieva??? ;)

I'll say it again--these players are all young. I get the feeling that those passing judgment on them are even younger, and lack the perspective that people--even women tennis pros--do not generally retire or collect social security at 20.

Players like Hingis and Seles and Sharapova, who experience success at a very young age, are the exception rather than the rule. If any of these women hang around until 25 or so, and haven't made an impact, then perhaps you can say that they failed to live up to their potential. Jennifer Capriati was as hyped as they come when she was 13/14, and until her mid/late twenties was a complete and utter disappointment. We all know what happened eventually.

Seriously, give them time. There's legitimate reasons those players were touted as future stars--by people who would know.

miffedmax
Feb 26th, 2009, 06:05 PM
And just what similarities *do* you think Nicole has with Elena Dementieva??? ;)

None, but that may be because I was so distracted by the fact that Nicole can, you know, serve...:p

Okay, maybe there's one other thing...:mad: