PDA

View Full Version : Youtube of Trophy Presentation Dubai 2009

bobbynorwich
Feb 24th, 2009, 12:51 AM
Youtube video of Dubai Womens 2009 Trophy Ceremony, including Venus Williams' statement about visa controversy.

Note: Tape stops and starts a few times momentarily in beginning.

JYQ-OO215HA

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Feb 24th, 2009, 01:05 AM
Thank you for posting that - it was very interesting and nice to see.

Amanda
Feb 24th, 2009, 01:14 AM
Venus!

tennisbum79
Feb 24th, 2009, 01:28 AM
Nice

venusallday
Feb 24th, 2009, 01:33 AM
So amazing!

meyerpl
Feb 24th, 2009, 01:37 AM
Thank you for posting this. Venus is such a classy player. She really is a gem and a champion I feel mighty proud to have representing the USA.

tennisbum79
Feb 24th, 2009, 01:40 AM
Venus was very graceful!
What a champion!

It was commendable of them to have both the doubles and singles trophy presentation together.

kiwifan
Feb 24th, 2009, 01:46 AM
:worship: The Queen :worship:

LUXXXAS
Feb 24th, 2009, 01:52 AM
Venus :bowdown:
she's a great supporter of women's tennis :yeah:

Dave.
Feb 24th, 2009, 01:56 AM
I cannot stand David Mercer :o :fiery:

Lovely speeches from all of them! I love Virginie's accent, and Venus was her usual graceful self, very big of her to mention Peer there.

Liezel & Aga seemed to be laughing alot about something :lol:

I do love having all the presentations at the same time, I think more tourneys should do that. It's the best way to round out the tournament as a whole in one go and congratulate everyone who was involved at the same time.

Cat's Pajamas
Feb 24th, 2009, 02:05 AM
So classy and amazing! :worship:

Venus is an amazing ambassador for women's tennis! I :hearts: you, Venus!

Marty-Dom
Feb 24th, 2009, 02:10 AM
Venus got got some serious female cojones! She spoke her mind right in the organizer's faces. They smiled but I'm sure they hated what she said and hated being put on the spot like that on international TV- by a female non the less!
I think there might just not be as much in terms of appearance fees for her next year- should she want to come back and defend her title.

V-MAC
Feb 24th, 2009, 02:13 AM
Thanks for posting that. Great to watch it again :hearts:

meyerpl
Feb 24th, 2009, 02:15 AM
Venus got got some serious female cojones! She spoke her mind right in the organizer's faces. They smiled but I'm sure they hated what she said and hated being put on the spot like that on international TV- by a female non the less!
I think there might just not be as much in terms of appearance fees for her next year- should she want to come back and defend her title.Oh well, it'll just have to be Spam & raman noodles for Venus that month.

Tennisation
Feb 24th, 2009, 02:16 AM
Oh well, it'll just have to be Spam & raman noodles for Venus that month.:lol: I think she'll steal sum of Serena's Big Macs

Ackms421
Feb 24th, 2009, 02:17 AM
Really I think it's the most decisive thing anyone's done in the whole situation. To make that statement, gracefully, but quite directly and to mention Peer by name while in the dragon's den so to speak, was commendable. I'm sure Shahar will be thankful to Venus and I am so impressed with her. She really found a way to do it gracefully, which I didn't think was possible.

lol, really, I thought if anyone mentioned Peer during the ceremony they would end up looking like Michael Moore at the Oscars (which would've been fine because the point needed to be made) but Venus managed to do it successfully and gracefully all at the same time.

tennisbum79
Feb 24th, 2009, 02:17 AM
I think there might just not be as much in terms of appearance fees for her next year- should she want to come back and defend her title.

She was very good at that.

I heard that she did the same at the All-Enlgand Club during the campaign for equal prize money.
She framed the debate in terms of the future and big picture. For her, the future begins now.

She asked them to think about their daughters or grand-daughters. How they would feel if they are making less than their male counterpart while their contribution to the pie is the same.

youizahoe
Feb 24th, 2009, 02:24 AM
:lol: I think she'll steal sum of Serena's Big Macs

She already did that once, when venus went to the toilet, she took half her fries :rolls:

Marty-Dom
Feb 24th, 2009, 02:38 AM
She was very good at that.

I heard that she did the same at the All-Enlgand Club during the campaign for equal prize money.
She framed the debate in terms of the future and big picture. For her, the future begins now.

She asked them to think about their daughters or grand-daughters. How they would feel if they are making less than their male counterpart while their contribution to the pie is the same.

I remember her open letter to the All England Tennis Club. It was great. But, this short speech tops it in some respects.
First, it was improvised right on the spot, with no benefit of editing and all the time in the world for careful composition and weighing of words.
Second, she addressed a much less friendly audience- directly- eye to eye.
Third, the topic and the stance was much more controversial. England is a liberal country- equal prize money is an easy sell. Dubai is far from being liberal- and they are in state of cold war- against which Venus took a stand, indirectly yet very clearly. If she were a local, she would be in a world of trouble.
I'm really impressed with her.

LeonHart
Feb 24th, 2009, 03:57 AM
You know what, she seemed kind of nervous to bring up Shahar, but definitely the right decision. Very classy act :)

tennisbum79
Feb 24th, 2009, 04:08 AM
I remember her open letter to the All England Tennis Club. It was great. But, this short speech tops it in some respects.
First, it was improvised right on the spot, with no benefit of editing and all the time in the world for careful composition and weighing of words.
Second, she addressed a much less friendly audience- directly- eye to eye.
Third, the topic and the stance was much more controversial. England is a liberal country- equal prize money is an easy sell. Dubai is far from being liberal- and they are in state of cold war- against which Venus took a stand, indirectly yet very clearly. If she were a local, she would be in a world of trouble.
I'm really impressed with her.

England may be liberal. but when it comes the All-England Club, the values are cast in term of traditions. And old countries, like England adore traditions.

Anyway, Venus, with help from BJK, made it happen. I am so proud of her.

tennisbum79
Feb 24th, 2009, 04:12 AM
You know what, she seemed kind of nervous to bring up Shahar, but definitely the right decision. Very classy act :)
True. I am sure she was.
Foreign country, steep in tradition, touchy, heavy , political subject.

spencercarlos
Feb 24th, 2009, 04:26 AM
This really has bought me some days to be a fan of Venus really a great speech, not only because she mentioned Shahar but she also congratulated the doubles champions and runner ups.

Venus showed HUGE class, thumbs up x1000.

tennisbum79
Feb 24th, 2009, 04:32 AM
This really has bought me some days to be a fan of Venus really a great speech, not only because she mentioned Shahar but she also congratulated the doubles champions and runner ups.

Venus showed HUGE class, thumbs up x1000.
Does that mean Venus has a slim chance to make it to your Mount Rushmore some day, near G. Sabatini and C. Martinez??

spencercarlos
Feb 24th, 2009, 04:48 AM
Does that mean Venus has a slim chance to make it to your Mount Rushmore some day, near G. Sabatini and C. Martinez??
Gaby si, Conchita not so much...

HRHoliviasmith
Feb 24th, 2009, 04:58 AM
wow, that was beautiful. kudos to venus.

Ken Lee
Feb 24th, 2009, 05:07 AM
:lol: I think she'll steal sum of Serena's Big Macs

Are you trying to make a fat joke?! Because that is not funny at all Mister!

DA FOREHAND
Feb 24th, 2009, 05:23 AM

It sounded to me like it's been heavy on her mind.. and she finally got it out. Bravo Venus

and then she shook their hands :worship::worship:

bobbynorwich
Feb 24th, 2009, 11:03 AM
:yeah: Nice to see so much appreciation for doubles. Don't know many tourneys that have simultaneous doubles and singles award ceremonies.

bobbynorwich
Feb 24th, 2009, 12:15 PM
Gaby si, Conchita not so much...

Steffi can take her place.

2Black
Feb 24th, 2009, 03:13 PM
Very Well Done Venus!!!!

davidmario
Feb 24th, 2009, 04:25 PM
I didn't enjoy seeing Aga Cara and Liezel in the back laughing and not listening while Venus was being praised.
Anyways, this speach was the best Vee ever did. She's such a strong and independent woman you just can't hate her now anymore.

serenafann
Feb 25th, 2009, 01:27 AM
Well done Venus,you continue to impress.