PDA

View Full Version : Will Sharapova be back into the top 10 this year?

Julian.
Feb 23rd, 2009, 02:31 PM
Will she?

Vincey!
Feb 23rd, 2009, 02:32 PM
Duh!? Do you really need to ask :eek:..She will for sure!

Julian.
Feb 23rd, 2009, 02:34 PM
Duh!? Do you really need to ask :eek:..She will for sure!

I'm honestly not sure :o:sad:

volta
Feb 23rd, 2009, 02:34 PM
*sigh*

yes ...

joão.
Feb 23rd, 2009, 02:35 PM
I'm honestly not sure :o:sad:

:smash: :drink: :cuckoo: :help:

Julian.
Feb 23rd, 2009, 02:38 PM
:smash: :drink: :cuckoo: :help:

:help: I really hope she will.

sammy01
Feb 23rd, 2009, 02:41 PM
i would hope so, though with every week she misses it gets harder and harder. shes getting to the ranking where she could be facing serena in the 1st round of tournaments. plus if she does come back at IW then she goes to the clay and im not sure she will be making many semis and finals on the clay.

HRHoliviasmith
Feb 23rd, 2009, 02:47 PM
OMG she's not even back and I'm sick of her already. ugh.

InsideOut.
Feb 23rd, 2009, 02:50 PM
Yes. Maria :hug::worship: She will win the US Open; I can feel it.

Adal
Feb 23rd, 2009, 02:51 PM
:rolleyes:

And yes, I think she will :worship: She has like nothing to defend till the end of the season. She can gain a lot. That's if she stays injury-free of course.

frenchie
Feb 23rd, 2009, 02:51 PM

Me too:tape:

I don't think she will
She has already missed 2 or 3 tournaments this year including the AO and Premium event Dubai
And she's coming back around IW/Miami which is just before her "beloved" clay season;) where she has tons to defend. Actually I'm sure her rank will be around 40-50 at some point this year (probably after RG)

spartanfan
Feb 23rd, 2009, 02:52 PM
LOL. I think in order for her to make it back to the top 10, she will need to start at IW and start doing very well right out the box-semi's and finals- and also do well at Miami. Clay is not her favorite surface, but she does put up descent results when she plays. I also think with her shoulder issues she probably wont play a full schedule this year, and probably won't play back-to-back tournaments much. Is it possible, yes, of course. Is it likely to happen, no.

Keegan
Feb 23rd, 2009, 02:54 PM
I think she will be. She'll probably make it further in all the Grand Slams remaining, probably the semis of them all (inc. Roland Garros). With all the tournies she missed last year, and the tournies she has to attend which she didn't last year (Madrid, Beijing, US Open) she'll be gaining more points than losing by the end of the year.

Lucas_Arg
Feb 23rd, 2009, 03:02 PM
There's not tough competition besides WS in the top ten right now, so she of course can make it.

goldenlox
Feb 23rd, 2009, 03:11 PM
Dementieva at #4 has 8266 points.
Radwanska at 10 has 3448 points.
Maria can probaly come back in August and still be in the mix for the top 10.

It still comes down to how well she plays after her shoulder surgery and if she can stay healthy

Lulu.
Feb 23rd, 2009, 03:54 PM
YES. You guys must be sooo bored. :o

Julian.
Feb 23rd, 2009, 04:13 PM
YES. You guys must be sooo bored. :o

Yes, we ARE. :sad:

Joee
Feb 23rd, 2009, 04:16 PM
I think she will but it will take some work to be honest....lots of points to defend here and there.....

kwilliams
Feb 23rd, 2009, 04:44 PM
Where's the 'I don't know' option? I think she'll do it but it might take her a while. At least she doesn't have much to defend post FO.

pav
Feb 23rd, 2009, 04:52 PM
Of much more importance, will she still tuck her hair (if it needs it or not )behind her ears prior to serving :confused:

HRHoliviasmith
Feb 23rd, 2009, 04:54 PM
Of much more importance, will she still tuck her hair (if it needs it or not )behind her ears prior to serving :confused:

:lol:

Kart
Feb 23rd, 2009, 04:56 PM
It all depends on if she comes back fit.

If she is then she's a lock down for top ten at the end of the year looking at some of the players in there already.

Kampi
Feb 23rd, 2009, 05:01 PM
:rolleyes:

And yes, I think she will :worship: She has like nothing to defend till the end of the season. She can gain a lot. That's if she stays injury-free of course.

Fully agree....and congrats on your "extraordinary" avatar.:drool::lick::lol:

serenus_2k8
Feb 23rd, 2009, 05:04 PM
WIth the WS mopping up all the big titles with a bit of assistance on the side from Elena D, there is every chance she will. It just depends how many events she plays tbh. I really want Maria back, the tour needs mixing up a bit.

spartanfan
Feb 23rd, 2009, 05:26 PM
WIth the WS mopping up all the big titles with a bit of assistance on the side from Elena D, there is every chance she will. It just depends how many events she plays tbh. I really want Maria back, the tour needs mixing up a bit.
That's part of my point, I don't think she will return to a full schedule this year. I think her ranking will drop even further before it starts to climb again. And unless she comes back at IW and Miami and makes semis or better, I can totally see her ranking slide outside the top 60 by the end of claycourt season. PLUS, she won Amelia Island last year, which isn't being played this year so she's due to lose a boat load more point.

Kipling
Feb 23rd, 2009, 05:40 PM
That's part of my point, I don't think she will return to a full schedule this year. I think her ranking will drop even further before it starts to climb again. And unless she comes back at IW and Miami and makes semis or better, I can totally see her ranking slide outside the top 60 by the end of claycourt season. PLUS, she won Amelia Island last year, which isn't being played this year so she's due to lose a boat load more point.

Yes, it is. The tournament has a new sponsor and moved south about 30 miles, but it has the same place on the calendar, is played on the same surface, and, according to early reports, looks like it should have a number of the same players as a year ago, including Maria.

AcesHigh
Feb 23rd, 2009, 05:44 PM
I think she'll get to the #10-15 range. I don't expect her to be making semi's and finals immediately when she returns.
Where do you expect her to rack up these points? It's not easy to return after almost a year off. And is her shoulder healthy now?

Will she make the semi's at IW? Will she defend the Amelia Island points? Charleston? Rome? RG? I expect her to do great in 2010, but I dont expect her back to her old self until much later this year.

spartanfan
Feb 23rd, 2009, 07:22 PM
Yes, it is. The tournament has a new sponsor and moved south about 30 miles, but it has the same place on the calendar, is played on the same surface, and, according to early reports, looks like it should have a number of the same players as a year ago, including Maria.
ACTUALLY, its not remotely the same. Let's crunch the numbers: Last year Amelia Island was like a Tier II even and Sharapova got 550 points for the win there. The new tournament is a Tier III where the winner gets 280 points. See the difference? So even if Maria played there and won, it's still a net loss of 270 points. But before then Maria also has semi final points to defend at IW, which I just don't see happening. So with the next four tournaments: IW, Miami, Ponte Verda Beach (new tier III, replacing Amelia Island on the schedule) and Charleston; Maria has semifinal points, skipped Miami, can't defend Amelia Island and QTR points to defend in Charleston. And I just don't see her playing all those events after being sidelined for 7 months.

SAEKeithSerena
Feb 23rd, 2009, 07:31 PM
without a doubt. that's not even a question.

nelsondan
Feb 23rd, 2009, 08:52 PM
I am a fan. I pay close attention. There are several videos from the last week of her practicing. To me, she looks great.

The only possible answer I can give is...I don't know. I am a fan of St. Louis Cardinal pitcher Chris Carpenter. I hope he pitches well. But his shoulder has been injured, so....I don't know.

Craig.
Feb 23rd, 2009, 09:02 PM
Me too:tape:

I don't think she will
She has already missed 2 or 3 tournaments this year including the AO and Premium event Dubai
And she's coming back around IW/Miami which is just before her "beloved" clay season;) where she has tons to defend. Actually I'm sure her rank will be around 40-50 at some point this year (probably after RG)

:lol: Of course YOU don't. :weirdo:

Ciarán
Feb 23rd, 2009, 09:11 PM
Yes :hearts:

Dawson.
Feb 23rd, 2009, 09:59 PM
I think things will get worse before they get better. But once she gets on a roll, she'll be back in the top 10 in no time me thinks (remaining injury free of course)

CrossCourt~Rally
Feb 23rd, 2009, 10:01 PM
If she comes back playing the way she is capable of playing, then yes. :bounce: I'm just worried that it may take her awhile to get her serve rolling and her game back into a consistent groove. :)

jjcrew#1
Feb 23rd, 2009, 10:52 PM

For once i agree with a williams fan! :crazy:

miss_molik
Feb 23rd, 2009, 11:11 PM
i think she will

BuTtErFrEnA
Feb 23rd, 2009, 11:27 PM
depends on her form...probably not right away cause she has some defending to do...

Cakeisgood
Feb 23rd, 2009, 11:49 PM
I'd be happy if I saw her at a tourny, with her actually playing.

winone23
Feb 23rd, 2009, 11:54 PM
Of course she will, if she is completely healed.

AcesHigh
Feb 23rd, 2009, 11:56 PM
HOW will she do it for all those people saying "of course"

I think people are underestimating how hard it will be.

ninanina19
Feb 23rd, 2009, 11:58 PM
If she is fit by IW then yes.

winone23
Feb 24th, 2009, 12:03 AM
HOW will she do it for all those people saying "of course"

I think people are underestimating how hard it will be.

Aces you and I both know that, unless Maria's shoulder continues to give her hell, she'll be back in the top ten.

Izzie.
Feb 24th, 2009, 12:04 AM
I believe that Maria can make it back in + not just because I'm a fan. She is practicing until she is as close to her former condition because she doesn't want to return and fall like some expect. Not that she'll automatically regain Top 5 composure, but given the state of the WTA and the point separation between the higher top 10 seeds and lower is huge, I think she can make it.

AcesHigh
Feb 24th, 2009, 12:55 AM
Aces you and I both know that, unless Maria's shoulder continues to give her hell, she'll be back in the top ten.

how? What results will get her back there? Venus played half the year and made two slam finals in 2003, won Antwerp and made the final of Warsaw but finished outside the top 10. After serious shoulder issues, is Sharapova going to suddenly charge back to the top? Especially starting out at the clay season? Do you see her beating the Venus's, Serena's, Dementieva's, Safina's, etc. of the tour in early rounds?

Of course she can make the top 10 but I think it's unlikely until early 2010.

Dawson.
Feb 24th, 2009, 01:16 AM
how? What results will get her back there? Venus played half the year and made two slam finals in 2003, won Antwerp and made the final of Warsaw but finished outside the top 10. After serious shoulder issues, is Sharapova going to suddenly charge back to the top? Especially starting out at the clay season? Do you see her beating the Venus's, Serena's, Dementieva's, Safina's, etc. of the tour in early rounds?

2003 top 10 included Henin, Clijsters, Davenport, Serena, Mauresmo & Capriati
Look at the current top 10...

catch my drift? ;)

winone23
Feb 24th, 2009, 01:16 AM

The reason Venus dropped out the 10 ten in 03 is because she only played 6 events in 2003 and had a ton of points to defend from 2002 including a slam final and title wins. So your logic doesn't make sense. Pova will be back in the top ten if her injury does not flare up.

TennisViewer531
Feb 24th, 2009, 01:27 AM
Maybe she'll be back in the top 10 next year... ;)

AcesHigh
Feb 24th, 2009, 01:33 AM
The reason Venus dropped out the 10 ten in 03 is because she only played 6 events in 2003 and had a ton of points to defend from 2002 including a slam final and title wins. So your logic doesn't make sense. Pova will be back in the top ten if her injury does not flare up.

At the end of the year, it's not about how many points you had to defend... it's about how many points you compiled during the year. My point is that if Vee can make two slam finals and still not make the top 10, how is Sharapova going to be top 10 after returning from a severe injury/surgery that affects the strengths of her game. Do you expect her to start winning events as soon as she comes back? Do expect her to win a slam or make a final? Do you expect her to pummel through top seeds in early rounds?

Sharapova has been struggling since 2007 so what makes everyone believe she's going to be back to top form? I think it will take time and it's not so easy to make it to the top 10 this year. Sveta, Caro, Vika, Aga, Momo, Nadia and others will be fighting hard for these spots and they have a headstart.

madlove
Feb 24th, 2009, 01:59 AM
no, i dont think so. top 20 shouldn't be a problem.

winone23
Feb 24th, 2009, 02:12 AM
At the end of the year, it's not about how many points you had to defend... it's about how many points you compiled during the year. My point is that if Vee can make two slam finals and still not make the top 10, how is Sharapova going to be top 10 after returning from a severe injury/surgery that affects the strengths of her game. Do you expect her to start winning events as soon as she comes back? Do expect her to win a slam or make a final? Do you expect her to pummel through top seeds in early rounds?

Sharapova has been struggling since 2007 so what makes everyone believe she's going to be back to top form? I think it will take time and it's not so easy to make it to the top 10 this year. Sveta, Caro, Vika, Aga, Momo, Nadia and others will be fighting hard for these spots and they have a headstart.

Venus and Pova's situations are different Venus only played half of the season and had a ton of points to defend. If Pova's shoulder holds up she will likely have a longer season than Venus' 03 season and she's not defending many points. One of us will be proven wrong at the end of the year, I'll get back to you on this topic then.

hablo
Feb 24th, 2009, 03:06 AM
First, when is Sharpie coming back?

franny
Feb 24th, 2009, 03:13 AM

I don't see her losing to Dementieva's and Safina's on surfaces other than clay. I expect her comeback to be similar, although not quite as successful, as a Kim Clijster's. Basically she'll come back, play well but not great, but then once the summer hardcourt season and indoor season comes she should get on a roll. I mean, realistically, on hard courts no one but Venus and Serena can beat her.

tennisbum79
Feb 24th, 2009, 03:18 AM
Very easily.
Beside the starting line-up of Serena, Venus, JJ, Safina, Dementieva, the bench is very soft Maria would have no trouble getting back.
Unless, she has another health related setback.

Protoss
Feb 24th, 2009, 03:50 AM
I don't see her losing to Dementieva's and Safina's on surfaces other than clay. I expect her comeback to be similar, although not quite as successful, as a Kim Clijster's. Basically she'll come back, play well but not great, but then once the summer hardcourt season and indoor season comes she should get on a roll. I mean, realistically, on hard courts no one but Venus and Serena can beat her.
Kuznetsova is 3-1 against Sharapova on outdoor hard courts (0-3 indoors btw). Zvonareva is 3-4 against Sharapova on hard courts.

AcesHigh
Feb 24th, 2009, 03:58 AM

That doesnt make any sense since for two reasons (1) Venus has never beaten Sharapova on hardcourt and (2) obviously other players have beaten her on hardcourts.

Additionally, Kim had an injury to her wrist I believe, not her shoulder. VERY different. It's not like you just come back good as new. Sharapova's biggest weapon was her serve and without your shoulder working 100%, her game is not going to be firing on all cylinders. Kim was a player with a lot more weapons and her injury layoff didnt affect her game too much.

Square on Square
Feb 24th, 2009, 04:22 AM
I wouldn't have thought the shoulder injury would have been so debilitating. She is easy going like that though, so she may just be sitting out.

If the shoulder is fubar (it may happen) then she will be decommisioned. If and when.

If not then I see no reason why she wouldn't be back top ten. She needs something like 1 slam and 1 tier 1 plus. Or some combination there of.

I can see it happening. She is a big hitter. No doubt. A loss here and a loss there is to be expected. Could be, eh, slow starting. I don't know.

Lock and load, Maria.

TennisViewer531
Feb 24th, 2009, 04:30 AM
She'll probably be playing safe in tournaments this year so her movements might be limited in court. Once you have a serious shoulder injury, you'll consider changing your game tactics in order not to aggravate it again. No rush, she can just play a limited number of tournaments just so she can maintain a top 30 ranking and then play full blast next season!

RFSTB
Feb 24th, 2009, 04:49 AM
I vote Yes but it's more like wishful thinking. Tennis needs Sharapova to make a full recovery and come back. Serena's beating up all those other worthless 'ovas and eating them for lunch! We need a good rivalry, at least by USO!

morningglory
Feb 24th, 2009, 05:48 AM
Wouldnt really care whether or not she's back in the top ten, I just care if she can start winning tournies (and slams) again. That's what really matters

Shvedbarilescu
Feb 24th, 2009, 06:58 AM
I think AcesHigh talks a lot of common sense in this thread. Getting back to the top 10 is not easy and Sharapova is going to have to do it with substantially less than a full year to accumulate the points. For her her to finish this year top 10 she is going to need to play, realistically, at least 10 and possibly more events. And not just play them but get good points from them. She she has any issues about needing to rest the shoulder for a period between events, which is quite likely at first, this becomes a very tall order.

Of course she could do it if she starts off in Indian Wells like a house of fire but honestly I do not see it happening this year.

But if all goes well, and even that is, in truth, far from certain, I would expect her to be playing to at least a top 10 standard, and maybe even a top 3 standard, by the end of the year thus setting her up for a fine season in 2010.

young_gunner913
Feb 24th, 2009, 07:02 AM
I'm not even a fan but I think she'll definitely make it back up to the top 10. I mean whose gonna stop her? Radwanska? Bartoli? Petrova? Wozniacki? I think not.

Mashafaaaaan
Feb 24th, 2009, 07:34 AM
I think she will, she is not far from Radwanska, and anyway, does it really matter, I think the others girls don't want to face her in early rounds, Maria will be back on court with nothing to prove, she is even better with this situation, she has zero pressure, nobody expect anything from her this year.:shrug:

DeLorean
Feb 24th, 2009, 09:13 AM
im going to say no because i dont believe she is going to hurry back and try like mad to regain top ten. shes coming off a very serious injury and hasnt even been able to hit a ball until recently so she'll be very careful me thinks.

shaktincredible
Feb 24th, 2009, 11:29 AM
i believe she's really capable of it.

not really that soon, but later after wimbledon.

Matt01
Feb 24th, 2009, 11:32 AM
I'm not even a fan but I think she'll definitely make it back up to the top 10. I mean whose gonna stop her? Radwanska? Bartoli? Petrova? Wozniacki? I think not.

There are lots of great players outside of the Top Ten so there's no need to make derogatory comments about them IMO. Still Pova's biggest opponent is her own shoulder who is giving her more than enough trouble these days anyway.

bobbynorwich
Feb 24th, 2009, 11:37 AM
There are lots of great players outside of the Top Ten so there's no need to make derogatory comments about them IMO. Still Pova's biggest opponent is her own shoulder who is giving her more than enough trouble these days anyway.

Here, here!

:kiss:

NeoZod19
Feb 24th, 2009, 10:52 PM
At this point, the question would be is it important to be in top 10 or just winning in big events?

Cp6uja
Feb 24th, 2009, 11:11 PM
Way more interesting is question about her rankings is Will Sharapova finish into the top 8 YEC Race this year? By some my calculations #10 ranked WTA player will finish 2009 with about 3100-3200 points, but player which will finish YEC Race at #8 will have week before Doha about 4000 pts on her YEC Race score which is big difference.

Lucas_Arg
Feb 24th, 2009, 11:32 PM
Way more interesting is question about her rankings is Will Sharapova finish into the top 8 YEC Race this year? By some my calculations #10 ranked WTA player will finish 2009 with about 3100-3200 points, but player which will finish YEC Race at #8 will have week before Doha about 4000 pts on her YEC Race score which is big difference.

I think WTA gives a wildcard this year.

NeoZod19
Feb 25th, 2009, 12:28 AM
if they want to put a good and exiting matches then the they will need Maria big time.

goldenlox
Feb 25th, 2009, 12:35 AM
Maria said she had bursitis in 2007. Then she had a rotator tear in 2008 and hasn't played since July.
Who knows if that shoulder will hold up.
Any other player have rotator cuff surgery on their serving shoulder?

young_gunner913
Feb 25th, 2009, 03:05 AM

:lol: How am I making derogatory comments about them? :weirdo::weirdo::weirdo:

I was stating that of the current girls who are on the outter part of the top 10, the girls ranked 9-13, I don't think any of them will have the kind of results that Sharapova can produce. As of right now, there's only 4 grand slam champions in the top 10. I doubt it will be a huge obstacle for a 3 time grand slam champion to re-enter the top 10.

pepaw
Feb 25th, 2009, 03:20 AM
duh

franny
Feb 25th, 2009, 03:29 AM
That doesnt make any sense since for two reasons (1) Venus has never beaten Sharapova on hardcourt and (2) obviously other players have beaten her on hardcourts.

Additionally, Kim had an injury to her wrist I believe, not her shoulder. VERY different. It's not like you just come back good as new. Sharapova's biggest weapon was her serve and without your shoulder working 100%, her game is not going to be firing on all cylinders. Kim was a player with a lot more weapons and her injury layoff didnt affect her game too much.

1. Regardless of whether Venus has beaten Sharapova on hard courts or not, Venus is talented enough and good enough to beat Sharapova on hard courts. She is definitely more of a threat to Maria on hard courts than any other player than Serena.
2. Sure, other players have beaten her on hardcourts, but when she's healthy those upsets come few and far in between. In fact, if Maria plays Dementieva or Safina in her first tournament back, I'd still put my money on Maria to win. She's just naturally better.

I also disagree with the statement that Kim has more weapons. Watch the two of them play, and you will see who has more weapons to hurt opponents with. Moreover, considering how a wrist injury prevents you from even being able to hit groundstrokes, I'd argue that it is just as debilating as a shoulder injury.

bandabou
Feb 25th, 2009, 08:35 AM
It depends on if the shoulder really is healed and how it affects her serving abilities. Because Sharapova without the serve is just a Hantuchova with a tad bit better movement and mental toughness..that can only get you so far.

Chance
Feb 25th, 2009, 09:00 AM
I think she will, she is not far from Radwanska, and anyway, does it really matter, I think the others girls don't want to face her in early rounds, Maria will be back on court with nothing to prove, she is even better with this situation, she has zero pressure, nobody expect anything from her this year.:shrug:

I don't agree with the zero pressure part.... Once you become no.1 and you're a multiple champion people will always be expecting more from you... Already fans are expecting a lot from her - to complete with the sisters, to get back in the top 10 and win her first title of the year, yet we still don't know what her first tournament is going to be...

As for the thread question, if her shoulder is healed then I expect her to be back in the top 5.

Matt01
Feb 25th, 2009, 12:38 PM
:lol: How am I making derogatory comments about them? :weirdo::weirdo::weirdo:

I was stating that of the current girls who are on the outter part of the top 10, the girls ranked 9-13, I don't think any of them will have the kind of results that Sharapova can produce. As of right now, there's only 4 grand slam champions in the top 10. I doubt it will be a huge obstacle for a 3 time grand slam champion to re-enter the top 10.

Overcoming her shoulder injury which is constraining her already for several years will indeed be a huge obstacle for her, no matter how good or bad the other players are playing.

goldenlox
Feb 25th, 2009, 06:39 PM
From the NY Post

Not for nothing, but as exciting as Tiger Woods' return to golf today is -- and as I said in my Weekly Whacks (http://blogs.nypost.com/sports/vaccaro/archives/2009/02/the_sunday_whac.html) back on Sunday, it is only the biggest story to hit golf since his one-legged Open win last June -- wouldn't you have to say the return of Maria Sharapova, whenever that happens, might be just as important to women's tennis ... even if, you know, it isn't for the same reasons?

http://blogs.nypost.com/sports/vaccaro/archives/2009/02/the_daily_whack_4.html

The Dawntreader
Feb 25th, 2009, 06:49 PM
My worry for her is, i dont know if she'll be back this year. I dont want to put a downer on the comeback, but this shoulder injury has been a severe thorn in her side since '05 and it's got to be hugely debilitating.

Even if she does come back, she's not going to pick up where she left off.

kyk710
Feb 25th, 2009, 07:06 PM
I don't think some of you understand how hard it is to get into the top 10/top 5. Venus won two of the big titles of 2008 and still wasn't top 5. It takes consistently solid results to reach the top of the rankings. Maria is playing a shortened season, if and when she comes back. She is also coming back from a serious shoulder surgery. We have no idea how her game (especially her serve)has recoverered since her injury. I think it is definitely possible for Maria to reach the top 10 this year, but we really have to wait and see how long it takes her to get back into top form. That being said, I hope she can do it, the WTA needs her at the top, especially with Justine absent.

Golovinjured.
Feb 25th, 2009, 07:09 PM
It's funny because on MTF there's a thread titled "Will Roddick be back into the top 5 this year?" started by user Sharapova. :rolls:

The Dawntreader
Feb 25th, 2009, 07:11 PM
It's funny because on MTF there's a thread titled "Will Roddick be back into the top 5 this year?" started by user Sharapova. :rolls:

It's all relative it seems;)

raffles
Feb 25th, 2009, 07:18 PM
Everytime I see "MTF" I think "Male To Female" trans-sexual and that its the start of a bunch of jokes about JJ.

Golovinjured.
Feb 25th, 2009, 07:21 PM
LOL. MugTennisForums.. of which Jankovic is still probably welcome.

goldlion
Feb 25th, 2009, 08:32 PM
If Sharapova could make it by the middle of 2009, who's gonna be kicked out? Radwanska?

Talula
Feb 25th, 2009, 08:47 PM
Hope so, but a shoulder injury can be very career threatening. Gawd knows, the Tour needs her.

spartanfan
Feb 25th, 2009, 11:12 PM
If Sharapova could make it by the middle of 2009, who's gonna be kicked out? Radwanska?
No worries. She won't make it back into the top 10 this year.

bobbynorwich
Mar 1st, 2009, 03:18 PM
Hope so. Really miss her, fun to watch and beautiful.

Have you seen her 12 year old cousin Daria Sharapova (Yuri's brother's kid) who trains at Bolleteri and doing well? Could be Maria's younger twin. :drool:

Eduardo Oliveira
Mar 1st, 2009, 03:25 PM
MARIA :hearts:
Go MARIA, she'll win Wimbledon or US Open this year, and finished at #2 or #1 :bounce:

zxcVbnm88
Mar 1st, 2009, 03:34 PM
It depends on when she'll be healthy.... If she's healthy before FO, I believe her results in the 2nd half of the year would be enough for her get back to top 10

cyannnnn
Mar 1st, 2009, 05:25 PM
Hope so. Really miss her, fun to watch and beautiful.

Have you seen her 12 year old cousin Daria Sharapova (Yuri's brother's kid) who trains at Bolleteri and doing well? Could be Maria's younger twin. :drool:

where have you seen her cousin trains at Bollettieri????

goldenlox
Mar 2nd, 2009, 12:55 PM
I haven't seen tape of Daria, but someone is filming some of Maria's practices in Bradenton. But no word yet about if she's playing her "home" tournament, IW

LCS
Mar 2nd, 2009, 01:13 PM
Of course she will. There's still Aga to be kicked out of the top 10..:shrug:

sunsfuns
Mar 2nd, 2009, 05:34 PM

Agnieszka will probably lose her place before Maria hits the first ball. Only 42 points ahead of Azarenka and Vika is playing really well lately.

kadirelf
Mar 2nd, 2009, 06:04 PM
nooooo
hahahahaha noooooooooo

young_gunner913
Mar 2nd, 2009, 06:08 PM
Overcoming her shoulder injury which is constraining her already for several years will indeed be a huge obstacle for her, no matter how good or bad the other players are playing.

so. im saying i think she'll come back in form not right away, but later down the road. im not even a fan of hers and i still think she's gonna come back and win some titles. :lol:

TennisViewer531
Mar 3rd, 2009, 04:08 AM
Sharapova should not rush her return to top 10 because she might aggravate her injury. She should play sparingly this year and maybe get decent results...

goldenlox
Mar 3rd, 2009, 10:31 AM
If Maria was healthy all year in 2009 she would have missed probably 2 tournaments, at most 3.
So she is going to have a reasonalbly full year if she stays healthy. And unlike in 2007, her body is fresh now, she didn't play in the Aussie heat

Shvedbarilescu
Mar 6th, 2009, 10:55 AM
A lot of very optimistic posters in this thread.

Maria Sharapova, when healthy, is certainly one of the top three players currently active in the women's game. But she is not superhuman. Like all the other women on the tour she is flesh and blood. A rotator cuff tear is not something you take a few months off for and then return fit as a fiddle as if it never happened. Rotator cuff injuries are capable of ending an athletes career. In many other instances a player will return from a rotator cuff injury but never quite be the same player. Anyone who has ever followed baseball will know this. Sometimes complete recoveries do happen too. But it takes time to regain pre-injury rotator cuff form.

Quite simply, Maria Sharapova is very unlikely to finish 2009 in the top 10. A better question would have been "Will Sharapova be back into the top 10 in 2010?" The answer to that question would be "hopefully yes." But even then it depends on how well Maria is able to rehabilitate her shoulder. Nothing is for sure.

Pops Maellard
Mar 6th, 2009, 11:03 AM
No.

COSAT
Mar 6th, 2009, 11:04 AM
:worship::worship:

spartanfan
Mar 6th, 2009, 01:51 PM

Maria Sharapova, when healthy, is certainly one of the top three players currently active in the women's game. But she is not superhuman. Like all the other women on the tour she is flesh and blood. A rotator cuff tear is not something you take a few months off for and then return fit as a fiddle as if it never happened. Rotator cuff injuries are capable of ending an athletes career. In many other instances a player will return from a rotator cuff injury but never quite be the same player. Anyone who has ever followed baseball will know this. Sometimes complete recoveries do happen too. But it takes time to regain pre-injury rotator cuff form.

Quite simply, Maria Sharapova is very unlikely to finish 2009 in the top 10. A better question would have been "Will Sharapova be back into the top 10 in 2010?" The answer to that question would be "hopefully yes." But even then it depends on how well Maria is able to rehabilitate her shoulder. Nothing is for sure.
I think your analysis of the situation is spot on.

FoxyliciousKhat
Mar 6th, 2009, 02:13 PM

Great post and spot on, in my opinion.

Foxy

Rumkin
Mar 6th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Glad I didn't vote :p but honeslty I don't think she will. I really hope she can prove me wrong but with these withdrawals it's a getting a bit depressing.

From now on I'm going to focus on her coming back healthy, I don't care much for rankings right now :(

Emina.
Mar 6th, 2009, 03:41 PM
:tape::tape::tape:

Craig.
Mar 6th, 2009, 04:19 PM
Nope.

DOUBLEFIST
Mar 6th, 2009, 06:55 PM
If Maria was healthy all year in 2009 she would have missed probably 2 tournaments, at most 3.
So she is going to have a reasonalbly full year if she stays healthy. And unlike in 2007, her body is fresh now, she didn't play in the Aussie heat

"a reasonably full year" = MORE strain on the rotator cuff

More strain on the rotator cuff = re-injury

re-injury = inactivity/career jeopardy

inactivity/career jeopardy = RANKED OUTSIDE TOP 10.

Simple mathematics. ;)

goldenlox
Mar 6th, 2009, 07:16 PM
Right now Kanepi is #10 in the race with 631 points.
If Maria does come back and plays 8 or more tournaments, she should be top 10 this year.
If she played 15, she might be in #1 race, which Dinara is about to take over, unless she totally stumbles.

Александра
Mar 7th, 2009, 01:52 AM
I don't think so but I would like to see her in top 10 again.

lympyisthebest
Mar 7th, 2009, 02:04 AM
Yes, she will do it easily. :hearts:

AnnaK_4ever
Mar 7th, 2009, 11:56 AM
top-5 in doubles.