PDA

View Full Version : Stanford or LA: which is better for a fan?

shannonannafan
Feb 23rd, 2009, 02:12 AM
Planning way to far ahead for warm summer, but as a fan which tournament is better to see: Stanford or LA? Where will I get the better views and closer to the action? My favs are Dokic, Dementieva, Hantuchova, and Bartoli. Which ones of those would I most likely see?

pepaw
Feb 23rd, 2009, 04:18 AM
sorry i havent been to either so i cant help to much. but i know dementieva usually plays los angeles. and hantuchova and bartoli have played stanford in recent years if im not mistaken.

alwayshingis
Feb 23rd, 2009, 04:47 AM
Stanford is the better tournament as far as fan atmosphere, I would say. The LA tournament is a bit impersonal, plus you have to go through a big security checkpoint every time you go between the stadium and the outside courts, which is frustrating.

barboza
Feb 23rd, 2009, 04:58 AM
If you have a car, you might as well go to the LA tournament. You can get really close to the outside courts (there is only one stadium court) and there is so much open space. Plus, the field is usually larger, so you'll get to see plenty of tennis. Plus, the weather is better in LA. As for Stanford, it's only 30 minutes away from San Francisco, so that's a plus. It's located in Stanford, which is a gorgeous campus. You'll probably run into players a lot more in this tournament because the tennis complex isn't as big.

mckyle.
Feb 23rd, 2009, 05:08 AM
Stanford was when it used to have Venus, Lindsay, and Kim play :sobbing:

OsloErik
Feb 23rd, 2009, 05:12 AM
I haven't been to L.A. or Stanford in about 15 years, but if you're visiting L.A. or the Bay Area, the Bay Area is a more pleasant change-in-pace during the summer. San Francisco is much cooler in the summer than the Stanford area, so it's a nice shift. Plus, the university is gorgeous. Almost wish I'd gone there.

kris719
Feb 23rd, 2009, 05:15 AM
well before it was stabbed in the back, san diego would have been the answer :(

Mightymirza
Feb 23rd, 2009, 06:20 AM
stanford!

urklerlay
Feb 23rd, 2009, 07:22 AM
Have you seen the commitment list for Stanford? Sharapova, Williams x 2, Jankovic, Dementieva. Though not announced, I imagine the usuals like Hantuchova, Sugiyama, Bartoli, Chakvetadze, Schnyder, Mirza, Mattek, Dulko, and Peer will also show up.

If all those players actually show up, it will one great tournament! NOTE: That is one big "IF"! Anyone who is famaliar with this tournament already knows how high the drop out rate has been the last couple of years.

DimaDinosaur
Feb 23rd, 2009, 07:43 AM
well before it was stabbed in the back, san diego would have been the answer :(

yes, what happened to that tourny??? it was like the best one outside of the grand slam. the weather was so nice. free spa treatments. so beautiful

pepaw
Feb 23rd, 2009, 08:09 AM
san diego was sold to ponte vedra beach i think

shannonannafan
Feb 23rd, 2009, 02:22 PM
San Diego use to be the tournament I always went to, but not anymore :( Who knows since I live right smack in the middle of LA and Stanford maybe I can do a road trip and get the opening rounds of both :)

faboozadoo15
Feb 23rd, 2009, 06:08 PM
yes, what happened to that tourny??? it was like the best one outside of the grand slam. the weather was so nice. free spa treatments. so beautiful

It's quite possibly the stupidest situation one could imagine. It was immensely popular with players and fans, held at a beautiful resort and spa too. They sold out all their tickets every year, but the tour said for them to continue on with this roadmap shit they would have to build a bigger stadium (even though the tournament was one of the biggest successes). The people at La Costa didn't want a bigger stadium, so the tournament won't continue on.

faboozadoo15
Feb 23rd, 2009, 06:10 PM
To answer the question: I've only been to the event in LA. It was really fun, but that's only because I was able to see my favorites. From what I've heard, Stanford is much more fan-friendly and held at Stanford, which has a beautiful campus. With the new roadmap, it's hard to say who will be playing where.

I can't say you'd be making a bad choice either way.

kris719
Feb 23rd, 2009, 09:12 PM
La Costa no longer wanted to carry the tourney so they left. same thing happened with the golf tournament there. so stupid, considering those two events garnered more media attention to them than anything else they could have dreamed of.

ex hopman
Feb 24th, 2009, 07:14 AM
I miss Manhattan Beach!
That was a small place, but a fun tournament!

Men's UCLA is a good tournament (tho...boo to UCLA. :p )