PDA

View Full Version : Seles vs Hingis

selesrules
Sep 1st, 2002, 02:05 AM
After watching Hingis' match, I just can't imagine how she can beat Monica. But over the years, I have always thought the same thing and somehow Monica shows up totally off her game and makes millions of errors. I feel (like most people) that if Monica brings her A-game then she would beat Hingis on a consistant bases.

If I want to predict based on what I see in terms of strokes right now, I would go with Monica winning 6-3, 6-4, but I have learned many times before to not get my hopes up when Monica meets Hingis, so I have no expectations. I just hope that Monica will play her best which she rarely does against Hingis, and if she does play even at 75% of her capability then Monica should easily win against Hingis right now. Good luck Monica!

disposablehero
Sep 1st, 2002, 02:10 AM
Life is seemingly unfair to Monica on a permanent basis. If she beats Martina, she will be 1 point behind Jelena Dokic.

selesadmirer
Sep 1st, 2002, 02:36 AM
Monica has to believe in herself and that is the bottom line.i believe if she sets her mind she can do anything.

lukehingis
Sep 1st, 2002, 03:17 AM
This match could go either way..I wouldn't mind either winning

Doublebackhand
Sep 1st, 2002, 03:26 AM
The match against Cho was actually a good 'warm-up' against Hingis coz Cho gets back almost every ball and is very consistent, a game not dissimilar to Hingis's. And for 7 games in a row Seles demonstrated why she lost to Hingis all the time, too many UEs, going for shots too much under unfafvorable conditions.

Hope she will learn from the Cho match and rein in her UEs, she has a very good chance beating Hingis this time.

Canek
Sep 1st, 2002, 03:32 AM
i would say: Martina in three tight sets. in my opinion Seles "should" beat martina considering that marti is not at her 100% (maybe at her 50%) but the matches between this two girls seems to be a particular war of styles that martina usually wins.
Seles can win. but i bet for Martina in 3;)

Monica@53
Sep 1st, 2002, 03:39 AM
Seles has an opportunity to really pounce on Hingis like the way she did at the 98 French Open....... however, if things get close, I like Hingis's chances simply because Monica hasn't proven that she really does believe she can beat Martina..... I hope that Monica does realise she has a great shot at beating Martina who is not at her best. Monica needs to remain aggressive but needs to lay off muscling every single shot (overhitting), ie instead of increasing the power, she needs to play her usual game of power, angles, line balls and accuracy and she will have a great shot at taking this match.

I really do think Monica will win!

selesrules
Sep 1st, 2002, 03:47 AM
Let's not forget that Monica led 6-1, 5-1 in her match today. She can raise her level.

disposablehero
Sep 1st, 2002, 04:06 AM
I just saw some highlights from the Cho match, and I was much relieved. Monica was moving much better than on Thursday.

Volcana
Sep 1st, 2002, 04:18 AM
I t seemed to me that monica was hitting a lot of balls hard, but to the center of the court, near the service line. The pace of such shots is a problem, but their placement is not. These aren't attempts at winners, and they are shots Martina can block to odd angles. If she has time, Martina is good at getting people to try difficult shots for winners. If the people make them, she loses anyway, but most of the time, they make more UEs than winners.

Monica could lose this match simply by failing to take control of it early enouh in the points.

victory1
Sep 1st, 2002, 04:41 AM
Hingis will win, simply for the reason she basically own Seles on the tennis court. Hingis has a great mental advantage over Seles (I think their head to head is like 14-4), that shows me that Hingis knows how to beat Seles and Seles knows it too! But, I hope Monica proves me wrong, because I would love for her to win, but tennis can be so mental as well as physical.

franny
Sep 1st, 2002, 05:16 AM
hmmm, even though martina beat amanda, she didnt' even hit more winners than amanda, which i know amanda is fast but i always thought martina hit the ball harder than amanda. Another thing, martina usually beats amanda 6-1, 6-2, and that is a big difference from 6-3, 6-4. I hope that martina can win but if i had to go with gut instincts, i say monica 6-4, 6,-4(if it gets to a third set, i see martina winning it.)

Cybelle Darkholme
Sep 1st, 2002, 05:20 AM
I'm seeing a martina victory. Seles struggled in three sets with her last two matches and cho, although I like her, is no martina hingis.

evadafan
Sep 1st, 2002, 05:46 AM
Monica should kill Hingis.

1. Monica had a mental lapse today she won't have against Hingis.

2. Barbara Schwartz played 10 times better than Hingis is playing.

Canek
Sep 1st, 2002, 05:55 AM
Originally posted by evadafan

can't stop laugh!!!:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
if was a joke was a good one, evadafan, :D :D :D :D :D :D
funny;)
if wasn't a joke, then :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

FS
Sep 1st, 2002, 06:11 AM
Martina would prevail in this match.:cool:

Buitenzorg
Sep 1st, 2002, 06:19 AM
For me the match between SELES vs HINGIS it will be depending on how good are their fitnesses, I mean both of them are have the same problem about their fitnesses...Their match it will be "THE ONE To watch match" I can't wait for it!

My prediction :

Hingis def Seles 4-6 6-3 6-4

Buitenzorg
Sep 1st, 2002, 06:21 AM
Originally posted by evadafan

Get REAL, Buddy! :p

BK4ever
Sep 1st, 2002, 06:23 AM
Who knows...they both played like crap today...but I hope Moni wins...

Alley
Sep 1st, 2002, 06:25 AM
I SO hope Monica wins, she deserves it:)

Dawn Marie
Sep 1st, 2002, 06:30 AM
Yesterday I thought that Seles would win this pretty easily, but after today I really don't know. Honestly, Seles has got to play the net better. She also has got to work the point a bit more. (note Cho played inspired tennis and really played some fantastic shots)

Anyway, after my assesment of what went wrong on the last match during that second set.

I think Seles will win this one in 2 sets. I was thinking about things while writing the above paragrapgh, and that is:

Seles will return the crap out of Hingis's serves.

Seles will have the crowd on her side.

Seles hasn't played much before her last two matches, so she'll be peeking. I think these two matches really will prepare her for Hingis.

Cho imho moves alot quicker then Hingis does at the moment.

I just don't see Hingis right now being able to cope with Sele's power game, It seems like she'll be grapsing for air alot. Kinda like Cho began to do, but much earlier in the match.

Monica is determined and she'l not let Marti's dominance over her stop her from winning.

Seles wants to play Venus.

Dawn Marie
Sep 1st, 2002, 06:34 AM
Barbara Swartz played great tennis. come on, If Babs were playing Hingis that night , Martina would of lost. IMHO Swartz took it to Monica, and has a fearless game.

Omg, Swartz may be ranked lower, but she played a great match, and she did play better then Hingis. You have to look at the opponents and not just if one wins.

disposablehero
Sep 1st, 2002, 06:34 AM
Ah Dawn, but who does Venus want to play?

Dawn Marie
Sep 1st, 2002, 06:40 AM
Venus would probably love to play Hingis she would relish that LOL

Plus Seles is a great power player, and it would benefit Venus if she were to play Marti cause you just never know...but I have to cheer on Seles. because she is a dear, and I would love for that to happen.

I am torn disposable.. I know Hingis would be the easier opponent, but also realize that if that would happen, then that would mean that Seles lost.

Note: Venus has to get by Chanda Rubin first, and we all know she ain't no joke!!

This is why I love tennis, I LOVE the matchups.. whoo hoo bring it on!!:)

Buitenzorg
Sep 1st, 2002, 06:43 AM
Right now, I don't think we are really concern about SELES or HINGIS at their previous match...I don't care that SCHWARTZ or ....was played very well and I don't care that HINGIS was played very bad...We'll see what is the outcome is! and you all will laughing at yourself if HINGIS can beat SELES!

Buitenzorg
Sep 1st, 2002, 06:45 AM
C'mon HINGIS you can do it...prove it that you can still be The "GREAT Player"

I :hearts: Martina HINGIS

disposablehero
Sep 1st, 2002, 06:46 AM
I look at it this way Dawn. If they are both playing like crap, Venus would sure as hell want to face the one who ISN'T being clutch.

Dawn Marie
Sep 1st, 2002, 06:46 AM
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR, Oooooooooooooooooh this makes me hope that Seles spanks that arse.

GO MONICA!!:):):):):)

Dawn Marie
Sep 1st, 2002, 06:51 AM
I don't think so, I think Venus would much prefer to play Hingis at the moment, besides Monica is a scary opponent. I don't think how they play matters, Venus would prefer Hingis... Imho.

Who do you think Venus would rather play?

Dear god, please beat Chanda, Venus.:) Heck I am getting butterflies already... Go Tennis!!

disposablehero
Sep 1st, 2002, 06:54 AM
I think Venus would rather play the one who isn't being clutch, and thats Martina. Monica has landed in some awful situations, especially against Schwartz, and came back gunning. I think that one stretch against Cho was a lapse due to rust, but Schwartz had her dead to rights. Monica toughed out the second set, then started throwing grenades in the third.

Dawn Marie
Sep 1st, 2002, 06:59 AM
I agree. Monica just went off the boil against Cho, but she is now going to raise that level. In fact she will play some inspired tennis, I do think Venus will be ready, she better be!!!

Go Vee beat Rubin.:)

lrg bllt
Sep 1st, 2002, 08:07 AM
I think Hingis will win in three sets..
6-4 4-6 6-3 :)

KingA
Sep 1st, 2002, 09:55 AM
Monica knows how to play against Hingis.... She is not going to make the same mistake twice.......

irma
Sep 1st, 2002, 10:01 AM
if monica's return with not mysterious dissapear this time like it always seems to do against Martina then I put my money on her.

TomLovesMonica
Sep 1st, 2002, 10:46 AM
If Monica realizes that she has nothing to lose, just enjoying herself out there and play the best she can, she can win this match. But I am still not too impressed by her current form. But the only advantage Monica has in this match, is that she had 2 tough matches (and I mean REALLY tough) and Martina had just one.

Oh well, let's just wait and see what happens!

Go Monica!
Go Martina!

Monica@53
Sep 1st, 2002, 11:01 AM
Exactly.. Monica just has to realise she has nothing to lose - she is the one who is 4-16 so, although she is the higher ranked player, she is not necessarily favoured to win...... in a way, I think it's good that Monica's had it tough early on, it's made her realise that there are things she needs to take care of at this stage now. It can work in two ways, it can either bring her confidence down as things aren't working for her the way they normally do, or they can help increase her confidence that she found a way to win given all these obstacles she's had to overcome.

I'm still confident Monica will win!

smygelfh
Sep 1st, 2002, 11:25 AM
After watching Hingis' match, I just can't imagine how she can beat Monica. But over the years, I have always thought the same thing and somehow Monica shows up totally off her game and makes millions of errors. I feel (like most people) that if Monica brings her A-game then she would beat Hingis on a consistant bases.

Isn't it a strange coincidence that just about every player tends to do this against Hingis? Might that 'somehow' be that Hingis is so darn good at placing the ball and returning shots that you will have more difficulties hitting winners and one more chance to hit an UE every time?

I believe this is exactly why Hingis might win against Seles, despite being in worse shape. Seles isn't quick enough to get in position to hit winners when someone places as well as Hingis usually does. And (at least against Cho), Seles didn't seem to have much pace in her play overall, so Hingis shouldn't be put under too much pressure for her.

My only concern is that Hingis is playing the 'short loose topspins in the middle of the court' game right now, and that's not good enough against Seles. It will be quite exciting a match!

ASTRID
Sep 1st, 2002, 11:41 AM
I think this match could go either way Martina's deffinately not at her best yet though.

I lOvE MaRtI !

mARtiNa HiNgIs FoREvEr !

lukehingis
Sep 1st, 2002, 12:09 PM
Whoever wins is fine with me...I love them both..but I am quite keen at the prospect of another Venus vs Martina match. They haven't played against each other in a GS in 20 mths...

Go martina!
Go monica!

I just hope the winner can beat venus or at least take it to 3 sets!

Williams Rulez
Sep 1st, 2002, 12:27 PM
If Monica plays her game, like she did for the first set against Yong, then I think she would win.

But you never know... Monica might just have weird lapses again.

heidi2
Sep 1st, 2002, 12:52 PM
Katulampa
C'mon HINGIS you can do it...prove it that you can still be The "GREAT Player"
I AGREE TOO!

I think they should have been doubles partners/ GREAT doubles partners long time ago myself !

Anyway, Anna is good so !

All, I can say is give Martina a (steel) heavy racket to practice her 1 and 2 serves before the match!

GOOD LUCK MARTI!

MARTINA WILL WIN !:kiss: :kiss:

I :hearts: LOVE MARTI !

MARTINA FOREVER !

selesadmirer
Sep 1st, 2002, 01:44 PM
i don't know if any body else noticed,but monica looks alot more determined on court.

Ryan
Sep 1st, 2002, 02:58 PM
Determined to play three-setters you mean?

Monica knows how to play against Hingis.... She is not going to make the same mistake twice.......

she's already made those "mistakes" 15 times.

Both players are rusty, with neither at thier best. Monica is not moving very well, and Hingis is just not doing what she usually does. she played a great match against Coetzer IMO, she improved her mobility on court and went to net a lot, even if she got passed. Before the Cho and Coetzer match I would have said Monica. AFTER though, it is much tighter for me to decide, it really could go either way. Monica had trouble closing her match with Cho. Hingis had trouble closing matches with Irvin, Myskina, etc. Monica is not moving well. Hingis isn't hitting hard. Monica is making a LOT of errors. Martina isn't making many winners. It's really a mental battle on the court, and whoever's fittest and most prepared to win should win.

Grrrr, I want to see a Hingis-Venus match, even if Martina gets her ass whooped.:p

ktwtennis
Sep 1st, 2002, 02:59 PM
Yeah, and I think that Monica took some pace off her serve and groundies against Cho because of the wind, so take that into consideration...I say Monica is determined not to let that happen again in a match what happened today...She usually learns these lessons against a top player(i.e. Pierce at French...Davey at Wimby...Hingis at Aussie...Venus at French...and Henin at Wimby). She always does something mentally wrong in each of these matches, so now that it's happened early, I think she'll be as determined as ever and take Hingis!

schris
Sep 1st, 2002, 03:15 PM
I hope Monica can win

Dado
Sep 1st, 2002, 03:18 PM
It's difficult to say. I think Seles will win.

6:4, 6:4

Flappie
Sep 1st, 2002, 03:24 PM
It's hard to say, coz I think they both aren't at their best...I guess Monica has an edge at this point...

Yuki Holland
Sep 1st, 2002, 03:30 PM
A Queen of Tennis - Martina Hingis win win win

Cheers,Yuki

http://www.hingis.itgo.com

Yuki Holland
Sep 1st, 2002, 03:36 PM
I like Martina from 1997 to now.
I see have a big change year by year. when Martina is a younger and no one know her, all people like to say, oh. great, come on, martina, even you are new, you can beat all plyaers.....etc.. and a lot of fans start to follow her news!
nowaday maybe she not 100% come back, but I know I will not stop to support her. I don't care someone don't like martina, it's free for all. but I hate some people before like her and now follow someone to hurt her:o .
Martina, go go go!!!
Seles: you know you are my second like players in WTA, I just love two player in WTA, Martina and Monica, of course big difference between, because I am a crazy fans of Maritna, I really hope Martina can beat you, but I more hope you can play a great match more!
I usually hope play great to lose better than
play worse to win.
come on, M & M
Cheers,Yuki
(webmaster@hingis.itgo.com)
http://www.hingis.itgo.com

Bероника
Sep 1st, 2002, 05:09 PM
I really hope Monica can win.GO MONICA!!!!!!!

evadafan
Sep 1st, 2002, 05:31 PM
Monica is making a LOT of errors??? Is this true? I thought she had more winners in her last match and only like 5 UEs in that one set.

selesadmirer
Sep 1st, 2002, 05:33 PM
the total at the end of the match was 36 winners and 34 ue's.

evadafan
Sep 1st, 2002, 05:38 PM
Not bad for a three setter in the wind.

junkartist
Sep 1st, 2002, 05:46 PM
Monica definitely has the edge this time...I really don't like Martina's attitude out there..she looks...scared...timid...bland...Monica can take advantage of that!

Jarrett
Sep 1st, 2002, 06:09 PM
Yuki Holland, that is a great looking Hingis graphic. :) Monica in two!

ktwtennis
Sep 1st, 2002, 07:00 PM
Jarrett, why hasn't your site been updated lately? It's such a good design!!

martinarules
Sep 1st, 2002, 09:33 PM
I think hingis will win in 2 sets. Monica is an awsome player but lately Monica looks horrible out there. I personally dont feel she has a power game. Dont ge me wrong I like her a lot but against Hingis I dont think she will have much of a chance ( she doesnt look any mroe fit than she did before her injury). And a hingis venus match would be awsome. I bet it will be Hingis 7-5 6-3 over Seles

evadafan
Sep 4th, 2002, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by Canek

can't stop laugh!!!:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
if was a joke was a good one, evadafan, :D :D :D :D :D :D
funny;)
if wasn't a joke, then :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

So why was what I said a joke, Canek????

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

GO MONICA!

mishar
Sep 4th, 2002, 12:31 AM
these hingis fans sure get snotty about Monica. I like Hingis, but her fans...