PDA

View Full Version : Who's going to be the 'player representative' after Venus?

Volcana
Feb 21st, 2009, 11:21 PM
This was a role that Lindsay Davenport handled well, as Venus does now. Sometimes, a player has to address the issues, and talk to the suit in various countries, bothing knowing the issues and representing the other athletes. As far as I know, it's not like some kind of elected position. It's something BJK did, but Chris Evert wasn't wild about.

But when Venus isn't the 'go to' person, among the players, on tour issues, who will be? Somebody who's won a couple slams, smart, well-spoken, and willing to spend time talking to sponsors and tour organizers as an equal, not arm candy.

Sharapova obviously has the cred and the popularity, but is reputed to be .... somewhat 'icy' when not in front of the camera. Not really an issue if she can be the 'TV interview Sharapova' for four or five hours at a time, while talking to men who'd rather bang her than listen to her. Ivanovic seems a bit young, none of the current crop is Hingis, Mauresmo seems like a bit of an introvert, Jankovic? Hmmmm ... needs to win some majors, but she's not afraid to speak up. Who does Russian media go to for a quote? Dementieva? Especially after the Olympic win, a good choice. And she provides sound-bites.

You don't ask a teenager to go toe-to-toe with a conference room full of 55 year old investment bankers. That's a job for adults. But tennis players don't spend much time at the top as adults. Which, to be honest, is one of the problems with the tour. By the time the players know what they really need, and what to demand, and what to give up, they're retiring and going after real life. Not many stay involved with the WTA.

court70
Feb 21st, 2009, 11:28 PM
This was a role that Lindsay Davenport handled well, as Venus does now. Sometimes, a player has to address the issues, and talk to the suit in various countries, bothing knowing the issues and representing the other athletes. As far as I know, it's not like some kind of elected position. It's something BJK did, but Chris Evert wasn't wild about.

But when Venus isn't the 'go to' person, among the players, on tour issues, who will be? Somebody who's won a couple slams, smart, well-spoken, and willing to spend time talking to sponsors and tour organizers as an equal, not arm candy.

Sharapova obviously has the cred and the popularity, but is reputed to be .... somewhat 'icy' when not in front of the camera. Not really an issue if she can be the 'TV interview Sharapova' for four or five hours at a time, while talking to men who'd rather bang her than listen to her. Ivanovic seems a bit young, none of the current crop is Hingis, Mauresmo seems like a bit of an introvert, Jankovic? Hmmmm ... needs to win some majors, but she's not afraid to speak up. Who does Russian media go to for a quote? Dementieva? Especially after the Olympic win, a good choice. And she provides sound-bites.

You don't ask a teenager to go toe-to-toe with a conference room full of 55 year old investment bankers. That's a job for adults. But tennis players don't spend much time at the top as adults. Which, to be honest, is one of the problems with the tour. By the time the players know what they really need, and what to demand, and what to give up, they're retiring and going after real life. Not many stay involved with the WTA.

I can't ever remember her being in that position.

Volcana
Feb 21st, 2009, 11:32 PM
I can't ever remember her being in that position.She played in bland times?:)

Recall it was Davenport who the media went to in 2002, when Indian Wells was coming up, and it was Davenport who made the point that players were independent contractors, and should play where they liked without harassment.

Lucas_Arg
Feb 21st, 2009, 11:38 PM
I don't see Maria doing that.
Radwanska has a big mouth.

Dave.
Feb 21st, 2009, 11:44 PM
court70 must have only got into tennis since September last year because before that (when Lindsay played), Davenport was always known as one of the top representatives for the tour. She was the official one for a couple of years when she was no.1 and was always a link between the players, the media and the sponsors. For someone to say she was never in that position is quite frankly laughable. For a while, she was the only player in that position.

Volcana
Feb 21st, 2009, 11:57 PM
One interesting thing is that after Venus, whoever the media goes to won't be somebody who familiar with the announcers. Davenport played against Shriver and Mary Joe Fernandez. Venus played against Mary Joe Fernandez. More to the point, shared locker rooms and hotels and airplane flights. That level of familiarity will be lost.

Marty-Dom
Feb 22nd, 2009, 12:02 AM
Looking at the current top 20, there is hardly anyone who commands respect AND is well spoken/thoughtful the way Lindsay and Venus are.
Sharapova seems a decent choice, but not optimal- I don't think she is quite on the same level.
Of the younger ones A-Rad seems like a good speaker, confident and comfortable with herself. She also seems well educated and intelligent. If she wins some big titles and is respected among her peers, a few years down the road she could be a very good player's representative.

tennisbum79
Feb 22nd, 2009, 02:50 AM
If Venus were a politician, you could say her tenure was a successful one.
She eloquently spoke about equal prize and it became reality.
Year after year, politely shaming and quietly charming the the mostly men establishment to think about their own daughters future when deliberating.

I would Dementieva could handle, but she can be a bit of a loose canon at times.

I think it would have to be Sharapova. I am confident she can grow in the job with the hope that the concerns expressed here would not be an issue. That could also help her own profile.

Albireo
Feb 22nd, 2009, 03:02 AM
Ideally, you'd get someone who's educated and who understands politicking in a way that most of the players don't. Renae Stubbs would be a good choice. Petrova would do well in the role also.

Jankovic's degree in economics could be useful for a player rep.

tennisbum79
Feb 22nd, 2009, 03:09 AM
Ideally, you'd get someone who's educated and who understands politicking in a way that most of the players don't. Renae Stubbs would be a good choice. Petrova would do well in the role also.

Good point.
I agree with Petrova choice. But she has not won a GS. Not that it required, but it had credibility.

Objectively Renae Stubbs would th best choice, but the fact she has not had good results could be an obstacle.
Seriously, WTA is known for its single, not double players.

V's a star
Feb 22nd, 2009, 03:12 AM
What did lindsay davenport ever do?? lol :shrug: id honestly like to know. I thought she was a real conservative gal wen she was young

court70
Feb 22nd, 2009, 03:13 AM

When did she get a degree.

court70
Feb 22nd, 2009, 03:14 AM
What did lindsay davenport ever do?? lol :shrug: id honestly like to know. I thought she was a real conservative gal wen she was young

That's what I would like to know too.

tennisbum79
Feb 22nd, 2009, 03:16 AM
Why not Maria?
I think she can do it.
This could make her growp up fast.
Besides she can ask for from people like Tracy Austin, Mary Cariilo.
These 2 are already crazy about her, they would be glad to help. I am sure they would welcome any chance to spend more time with Maria, ti would give them more "exclusives" to talk about during their telecast.

If I am not mistaken, Venus often consulted with BJK, especially on the equal prize issue.
BJK was the one who got the ball rolling during and after her playing time.

Wiggly
Feb 22nd, 2009, 03:22 AM
Sharapova could do it but she is too focused on herself.
There is nobody on the same level of results, class and respect than Venus.

I remeber Golovin giving nice interviews and she is the perfect example of the modern tennis player : born in Russia, raised in France and now living in Miami. Too bad she's half-retired.

HippityHop
Feb 22nd, 2009, 03:55 AM
:lol::lol:

Albireo
Feb 22nd, 2009, 03:57 AM
Good point.
I agree with Petrova choice. But she has not won a GS. Not that it required, but it had credibility.

Objectively Renae Stubbs would th best choice, but the fact she has not had good results could be an obstacle.
Seriously, WTA is known for its single, not double players.

The Tour only has a few Slam winners at a time playing on it. Those players tend to get preferential treatment as a result. Most of the players would likely rather be represented by "one of them," rather than one of the stars.

IIRC, the ATP had multiple reps in its early days, and the reps were chosen based on rank (one form the Top Ten, one from 11-25, one from 26-50, etc.), to assure that the stars didn't get preferential treatment. There are a lot more rank-and-file players on the Tour than Slam winners--yes, the stars bring in the fans, but the lower-ranked players have to have a say, or there are no stars of the future.

Volcana
Feb 22nd, 2009, 04:12 AM
The Tour only has a few Slam winners at a time playing on it. Those players tend to get preferential treatment as a result. Most of the players would likely rather be represented by "one of them," rather than one of the stars.Maybe. But the corporate types can't react with 'whodat' when the rep comes into the room either.

Albireo
Feb 22nd, 2009, 05:30 AM
Maybe. But the corporate types can't react with 'whodat' when the rep comes into the room either.

Also true. But the players can't be obligated to choose a well-known player as their rep (if there's a perfect candidate ranked, say, 100) simply because they're the only ones with name recognition, or else they've already given ground. And if the corporate suits can't be arsed to become acquainted with the person representing the labor force, then someone in WTA management needs to do some serious introductions, or else (once again) the players are at an immediate disadvantage.

It might also be worth noting that the WTA players don't seem to have the same sense of unity that the ATP guys do (or did, in any case). They're much more individualistic and less inclined to act as a whole. Part of this might be the fact that they arrive on the tour at younger ages, and are shepherded along by their entourages, and generally keep each other at a greater distance than the men do. The WTA seems more a collection of disparate players than a union or association (this may have been a factor in the meek response to the Peer/Dubai situation). IMO, the reason they always seem to act in their own best interests is because that's all they're ever had to look out for, and most of them are too young, too ignorant of Tour history and politics, to be interested or aware of the way the business works.

Reading John Feinstein's Hard Courts (a book massively flawed by its author's blatant biases, but still fascinating) gives a really good perspective on the formative days of the ATP, and the situation is nothing like what's going on with the WTA right now. The guys united with a sense that they were the ones who would have the final say, not the suits. The fact that the WTA Board of Directors is stocked with tournament directors and management-company stooges--with very few (recent) ex-players to be found--tells one where the emphasis and the power in the WTA are. It ain't with the players.

austennis
Feb 22nd, 2009, 06:09 AM
id say ana or jelena will step up and become the spokes people..

raffles
Feb 22nd, 2009, 08:48 AM
Didn't they have a elected WTA president who was a player back in the day? The current players would never want Sharapova to do it and I don't think she would want to. I don't doubt she would probably do a decent job if asked but I doubt she would be backed up by the players.

I don't think they need to be GS winners they need to articulate, smart and have the respect of the other players. I think an older player with experience on the tour and more time to devote to such things would be more suitable. Despite what other people have mentioned I think Mauresmo would be good, she's well liked and yes she not the loudest mouth on the tour but I think she gave the most appropriate response to the Peer/Dubai situation.

sipnsurfMurph
Feb 22nd, 2009, 09:19 AM
The situation will pick someone.

Believe it or not, folks rise to situations. Someone will meet the need. Chill awhile, let the players (of the WTA) mature into their own.

I'm totally unsure if a 'player spokesperson' is designated or derived. Whatever, there will absolutely be another player to fill the breech.

Zealous Vee fans do her such a disservice requesting these endless comparisons. No other player needs to be discredited to acknowledge Venus. Should the need arise, sans Vee, someone will step up.

madlove
Feb 22nd, 2009, 09:30 AM
probably jelena jankovic.

itzhak
Feb 22nd, 2009, 09:41 AM
I'm almost sure that is is gonna be Daniela Hantuchova.

Golovinjured.
Feb 22nd, 2009, 09:49 AM
I think Dementieva, Hantuchova, or Ivanovic in a few years would be good.

Zvonareva is too emotional, Sharapova and Safina not emotional enough.
Jankovic is a bit ditzy, not serious enough for me.
Serena won't last too much longer than Vee.
Radwanska is a bit flippant.
Petrova, Schnyder not enough success.

raffles
Feb 22nd, 2009, 09:52 AM
Please Ana is afraid of her own shadow...unless she's fist pumping.

Slutiana
Feb 22nd, 2009, 10:07 AM
Sharapova could do it but she is too focused on herself.
There is nobody on the same level of results, class and respect than Venus.

I remeber Golovin giving nice interviews and she is the perfect example of the modern tennis player : born in Russia, raised in France and now living in Miami. Too bad she's half-retired.
:ras: :o

But yeah, Tati would be the perfect replacement; Shes charismatic, smart, popular among the players and fans alike, talented (so if she comes back and has some great results of course it will give her more credibility) and of course she's already involved in like unesco and whenever she is interviewed you always hear her talking about the same kind of things as what Venus says and i like the fact that she along with venus are one of the few people who call it "Womens Tennis" rather than just "tennis" it may seem insignificant to some people but i dunno, it always strikes me as interesting when people say that, because they do it consiously. Shes not fully retired yet and if she figures out her back then im sure she'll be back in a flash so heres hoping that Tati returns!

Adal
Feb 22nd, 2009, 10:09 AM
:ras: :o

But yeah, Tati would be the perfect replacement; Shes charismatic, smart, popular among the players and fans alike, talented (so if she comes back and has some great results of course it will give her more credibility) and of course she's already involved in like unesco and whenever she is interviewed you always hear her talking about the same kind of things as what Venus says and i like the fact that she along with venus are one of the few people who call it "Womens Tennis" rather than just "tennis" it may seem insignificant to some people but i dunno, it always strikes me as interesting when people say that, because they do it consiously. Shes not fully retired yet and if she figures out her back then im sure she'll be back in a flash so heres hoping that Tati returns!
http://pics.livejournal.com/xo_half_heart/pic/0000z8gk

Golovinjured.
Feb 22nd, 2009, 10:14 AM
Lol.

markdelaney
Feb 22nd, 2009, 11:39 AM
Venus will be a very difficult act to follow

HRHoliviasmith
Feb 22nd, 2009, 11:42 AM

:lol::lol::lol:

Sam L
Feb 22nd, 2009, 11:53 AM
That's sooo fetch!

tennnisfannn
Feb 22nd, 2009, 12:01 PM
Sounds that we are being narrow minded here, seems like people think you are well spoken if you are a native speaker of English or with native speaker competence (maria). I am sure there are dozens of girls who would do the job very well even if they spoke with broken English.
Kuzy for instance seems a good choice and quite popular with the players. She is a slam winner, is from Russia the biggest tennis country and has some good experince.
What if a player could do the job well and require some translation, I do not see why not.

BlameSerena
Feb 22nd, 2009, 12:03 PM
:lol::lol::lol:

Wow...I literally laughed out loud. Too funny.

raffles
Feb 22nd, 2009, 12:05 PM
I don't have a issue with Kuzy being the players rep, she's not an native speaker of English but she's comptent. She might actually be a good choice, the other players certainly think highly of her as a person. I wouldn't be surprised that if they did have some kind of elected players rep that Kuzy was voted in. Ana's problem for me would be her personality, she seems rather shy compared to other players.

Dodoboy.
Feb 22nd, 2009, 12:14 PM

:worship::worship:

Dementieva would be good :shrug: As would Maria Sharapova!

Wozniacki seems very intelligent so she is another candidate.

Mashafaaaaan
Feb 22nd, 2009, 12:22 PM

But she hasn't BIG results, noone pay attention to Slamless girls.

The Dawntreader
Feb 22nd, 2009, 12:27 PM
But she hasn't BIG results, noone pay attention to Slamless girls.

Dont be stupid. Since how does not having a Slam, make you less qualified for being a player representative. Having a Slam isnt the criteria here.

Anyone who is intelligent, balanced and confident has the ability to change things.

nevetssllim
Feb 22nd, 2009, 12:29 PM
Hantuchova - she is an intelligent lady and comes across as being very articulate.

Other candidates could be Petrova and Mauresmo.

Dave.
Feb 22nd, 2009, 12:40 PM

Everything in the original post. Top player, smart, well spoken, willing to spend time with sponsors etc. Lindsay was on the player's board or whatever it was for years, and one thing she said was that she had a good perspective for everything because she has the experience of being a lower ranked player, and a top player (unlike those who breakthrough when they're 16 or something), so she always knew what the players wanted. Not to mention she was popular with most of the players and all the media (she even won an award for most accessible player voted by the media).

Now that Lindsay has retired, Venus has taken this position quite nicely. She is more classy and well spoken (which wasn't always the case) and seems to be more open now. Venus has some very, very big shoes to fill though but I love what she's doing atm.

Ferg
Feb 22nd, 2009, 12:50 PM
Kuzzi would be perfect! :hug:

Ferg
Feb 22nd, 2009, 01:16 PM

:worship: :lol:

Ill pay you for the url or address of that. Or did you copy and paste it?

Slutiana
Feb 22nd, 2009, 01:26 PM
Adal :weirdo: Stop whoring that GIF in every thread plz. :rolleyes:

mauresmofan
Feb 22nd, 2009, 01:27 PM
I wouldn't like to see Sharapova be the go2girl because for me she seems fake. She has this public persona that people can read into as not being the authentic Maria and that's why I think crowds never warm to her and seem to turn on her in matches and start to root for her opponent regardless of who her opponent is.

Adal
Feb 22nd, 2009, 01:27 PM
Tuti :weirdo: That was only a 2nd thread I posted it in :rolleyes: Get your facts straight, kid.

Ellen Dawson
Feb 22nd, 2009, 01:29 PM
She played in bland times?:)

Recall it was Davenport who the media went to in 2002, when Indian Wells was coming up, and it was Davenport who made the point that players were independent contractors, and should play where they liked without harassment.

And Lindsay was one of the few players who knew about Title IX. :o

The Dawntreader
Feb 22nd, 2009, 01:29 PM
Who is this blonde creature on display?:confused:

Ferg
Feb 22nd, 2009, 01:30 PM
Who is this blonde creature on display?:confused:

Regina George.

The Dawntreader
Feb 22nd, 2009, 01:31 PM
Regina George.

Ok, but what is her purpose?:lol:

Adal
Feb 22nd, 2009, 01:33 PM
:worship: :lol:

Ill pay you for the url or address of that. Or did you copy and paste it?
I found it :speakles:

Adal
Feb 22nd, 2009, 01:34 PM
Ok, but what is her purpose?:lol:
Her purpose is to ruin people's lives :hearts:

The Dawntreader
Feb 22nd, 2009, 01:35 PM
Her purpose is to ruin people's lives :hearts:

Bitch:lol:

court70
Feb 22nd, 2009, 01:38 PM
Everything in the original post. Top player, smart, well spoken, willing to spend time with sponsors etc. Lindsay was on the player's board or whatever it was for years, and one thing she said was that she had a good perspective for everything because she has the experience of being a lower ranked player, and a top player (unlike those who breakthrough when they're 16 or something), so she always knew what the players wanted. Not to mention she was popular with most of the players and all the media (she even won an award for most accessible player voted by the media).

Now that Lindsay has retired, Venus has taken this position quite nicely. She is more classy and well spoken (which wasn't always the case) and seems to be more open now. Venus has some very, very big shoes to fill though but I love what she's doing atm.

I don't know what you are talking about but venus has always been classy and well spoken. Like I said what has lindsay done as a so call Player's Rep. for the WTA, they have been fighting for equal pay for women on the WTA for years which was started by BJK and completed by Venus, why didn't lindsay do something about it before Vee took over. What I get from lindsay is that all she wanted to do was play a couple of tounaments and not get involve with the politics of the WTA. I have not seen one darn thing that she had done or instituded while as a "Player Representative"

Volcana
Dont be stupid. Since how does not having a Slam, make you less qualified for being a player representative. Having a Slam isnt the criteria here.

Anyone who is intelligent, balanced and confident has the ability to change things.I'm going to return your 'don't be stupid', with you are either very young, or very inexperienced. Because you aren't addressing the inherent power imbalance at all.

Whoever is speaking, de facto or de jure for the players is almost always far younger, and far less experienced, than the people she's dealing with. When a 21 year old is talking to me, from my persepctive, they are closer to a child than an adult. Which makes me more forgiving of their mistakes, but it also means I'm not really dealing with them as an equal. Favor in that the players grow up, for the most part, in 'academies', where they are sheltered from real world experience.

In the worst of the situation, that player is addressing a room full of people who view her as either an immature daughter, arm candy, or a pet. But not as a business partner.

What the player walks into the room with, that works in her favor, before she even opens her mouth, is fame, and accomlishments. If she sounds intelligent, and knows what she's talking about, then that fame, and accomplishment, is viewed as at least partly earned through that intelligence. Fame gets you in the room, accomplishments get people to listen. Add intelligence and subject knowledge to that, and older people, with big money to invest, will work with you, taking you seriously.

Sure 'Anyone who is intelligent, balanced and confident has the ability to change things.' But being intelligent, balanced and confident doesn't get you in the room with the money people to make the argument. It gets you 'Who is she? What did she ever do? And Why are you wasting my time?'

Slutiana
Tuti :weirdo: That was only a 2nd thread I posted it in :rolleyes: Get your facts straight, kid.
Thats because all the other posts got deleted. :cool:

Adal
Feb 22nd, 2009, 01:40 PM
Thats because all the other posts got deleted. :cool:
Well they don't count :weirdo:

Ferg
Feb 22nd, 2009, 01:41 PM
I found it :speakles:

I love you. :hearts: Dont worry though, i wont use it here, i just needed it for something somewhere else. Thanks so much!!!

Volcana
Feb 22nd, 2009, 01:43 PM
Sounds that we are being narrow minded here, seems like people think you are well spoken if you are a native speaker of English or with native speaker competence (maria). I am sure there are dozens of girls who would do the job very well even if they spoke with broken English.
Kuzy for instance seems a good choice and quite popular with the players. She is a slam winner, is from Russia the biggest tennis country and has some good experince.
What if a player could do the job well and require some translation, I do not see why not.

The 'why not' is your target audience. Sponsors, TV execs, tournaments organizers. The money people. The ability to speak English well DOES matter. Not for any tennis reason, but because English is 'the international language of business', and we're talking about the business side of tennis.

It'shard to be persuasive in a language you're not comfortable in. And if you're bringing any level of charisma or charm to the table, having to use a translator kills you.

Adal
Feb 22nd, 2009, 01:44 PM
I love you. :hearts: Dont worry though, i wont use it here, i just needed it for something somewhere else. Thanks so much!!!
No problem ;)

The Dawntreader
Feb 22nd, 2009, 01:45 PM
I'm going to return your 'don't be stupid', with you are either very young, or very inexperienced. Because you aren't addressing the inherent power imbalance at all.

Whoever is speaking, de facto or de jure for the players is almost always far younger, and far less experienced, than the people she's dealing with. When a 21 year old is talking to me, from my persepctive, they are closer to a child than an adult. Which makes me more forgiving of their mistakes, but it also means I'm not really dealing with them as an equal. Favor in that the players grow up, for the most part, in 'academies', where they are sheltered from real world experience.

In the worst of the situation, that player is addressing a room full of people who view her as either an immature daughter, arm candy, or a pet. But not as a business partner.

What the player walks into the room with, that works in her favor, before she even opens her mouth, is fame, and accomlishments. If she sounds intelligent, and knows what she's talking about, then that fame, and accomplishment, is viewed as at least partly earned through that intelligence. Fame gets you in the room, accomplishments get people to listen. Add intelligence and subject knowledge to that, and older people, with big money to invest, will work with you, taking you seriously.

Sure 'Anyone who is intelligent, balanced and confident has the ability to change things.' But being intelligent, balanced and confident doesn't get you in the room with the money people to make the argument. It gets you 'Who is she? What did she ever do? And Why are you wasting my time?'

And while we're on the subject, the ability to speak English well DOES matter. Not for any tennis reason, but because English is 'the international language of business', and we're talking about dealing with sponsors and organizers, not just fans. (Ideally, this person would speak International English instead of American English, but you can over-refine the criteria.)

Well thank you for one of the most patronising posts i've ever recieved:)

Secondly, that shouldn't be the way of things. If money and prestige is the only factor that it is an a horrible, corrupt system. How does English serve as the greater advantage too? Translators are on hand, and just because you dont speak english, doesnt give you any less reason to take a stand. People have backed down over far more than just a language barrier.

Miss Atomic Bomb
Feb 22nd, 2009, 01:46 PM
All these 'player representatives' like Venus, Lindsay, Billie Jean King are Americans (Even Martina Navratilova to a certain extent) :eek:

court70
Feb 22nd, 2009, 01:47 PM

Whoes big shoes does Vee have to fill? certainly not Lindsay because there's nothing that you can list that Lindsay has done for the players while there are plenty of things that you can list that Vee has done. I have nothing against Lindsay but let's be for real here.

Volcana
Feb 22nd, 2009, 02:19 PM
Well thank you for one of the most patronising posts i've ever recieved:)Thank you?
Secondly, that shouldn't be the way of things. If money and prestige is the only factor that it is an a horrible, corrupt system. a)It IS a horrible, corrupt system. That's why Martina Navratilova says they should blow the whole thing up, and start over from scratch.

b) Money and/or prestige are what get you in the room. That's business.
How does English serve as the greater advantage too?Because business is about, among other things, a comfort level. When you're dealing with a translator, there's an inherent question about subtle meanings and nuances. But more to the point, you can conduct business in English with people from all over the world. For better or worse, you can't do that with Japanese or Russian.

Dave.
Feb 22nd, 2009, 02:29 PM
I don't know what you are talking about but venus has always been classy and well spoken. Like I said what has lindsay done as a so call Player's Rep. for the WTA, they have been fighting for equal pay for women on the WTA for years which was started by BJK and completed by Venus, why didn't lindsay do something about it before Vee took over. What I get from lindsay is that all she wanted to do was play a couple of tounaments and not get involve with the politics of the WTA. I have not seen one darn thing that she had done or instituded while as a "Player Representative"

Whoes big shoes does Vee have to fill? certainly not Lindsay because there's nothing that you can list that Lindsay has done for the players while there are plenty of things that you can list that Vee has done. I have nothing against Lindsay but let's be for real here.

Nothing done? I doubt she would have received all this for doing nothing.

Also received Diamond ACES Award from the Tour in 1998 and 1999 (for her off-court contributions); Prix Orange from journalists at Roland Garros in 2000 (for being the friendliest and most approachable player on Tour); Karen Krantzchke Sportsmanship Award from the Tour in 2004; Re-elected to the Tour Players' Council in 2002.

Being a player representative doesn't necessarily mean you have to make big changes or anything. You have to be there, listen, contribute.

As I said, Venus has fallen into this role very well now, but there was a time she was described as not being talktative with the other players (and there were obviously incidents like the shoulder bumping etc.) so I don't think she would have fit this role when she was younger. But I love what she's doing now.

Albireo
Feb 22nd, 2009, 04:07 PM
Part of the problem is the fact that we're even having this discussion. The players don't have a representative. Sure, they've got agents--but agents aren't going to go fight with the TDs and the sponsors on their players' behalf, and they certainly aren't going to address issues the players have with the WTA. Besides, the higher-ups of at least a few of the management companies (off the top of my head, Octagon and IMG) sit on the WTA Board of Directors. How can the players have any kind of fair representation if the BoD says to do something and their agents have to agree with their bosses on the BoD?

raffles
Feb 22nd, 2009, 04:25 PM
Part of the problem is the fact that we're even having this discussion. The players don't have a representative. Sure, they've got agents--but agents aren't going to go fight with the TDs and the sponsors on their players' behalf, and they certainly aren't going to address issues the players have with the WTA. Besides, the higher-ups of at least a few of the management companies (off the top of my head, Octagon and IMG) sit on the WTA Board of Directors. How can the players have any kind of fair representation if the BoD says to do something and their agents have to agree with their bosses on the BoD?
Well perhapse the players should have a players union and elect a players rep to sit on the WTA board?

Albireo
Feb 22nd, 2009, 04:26 PM
Well perhapse the players should have a players union and elect a players rep to sit on the WTA board?

I think that's the underlying point of this thread. :)

raffles
Feb 22nd, 2009, 04:30 PM
I think that's the underlying point of this thread. :)
True, true. :) I do wonder, although we on this board think its a good idea, is it really something the players are interested in these days?

Albireo
Feb 22nd, 2009, 05:31 PM
True, true. :) I do wonder, although we on this borad think its a good idea, is it really something the players are interested in these days?

That's a really good question. I suspect the players are told by their agents and entourages what to do, and they go along with it pretty thoroughly. If Larry Scott told the players not to boycott Dubai--that he (i.e. the Tour) would handle it--they may accept that unquestioningly because too much thinking would distract them from their job (tennis).

I'm not sure it's a matter of apathy, or greed, or laziness. Perhaps it's willful ignorance, or maybe they just don't have a collective political spirit.

My students are pretty apathetic--they'll complain in class about homework or exams, but they won't do jack about the university raising fees at an alarming rate. Maybe it's just the way kids are these days. (I suspect not, but evidence seems to indicate otherwise.)

iGOAT
Feb 22nd, 2009, 05:34 PM
JJ maybe :shrug:

Bayo
Feb 22nd, 2009, 05:42 PM
Jill Craybas. She's got AT LEAST 10, maybe 15 years left on the tour.

tennisbum79
Feb 22nd, 2009, 06:06 PM
The situation will pick someone.

Believe it or not, folks rise to situations. Someone will meet the need. Chill awhile, let the players (of the WTA) mature into their own.

I'm totally unsure if a 'player spokesperson' is designated or derived. Whatever, there will absolutely be another player to fill the breech..

I agree, the situation will likely bring someone forth.
I personally made the argument that Maria would rise to the occasion when some poster sugested she was too much self centered and lacking the leadership quality.
It is true some are born leader ( a la Venus), others grow in the role

Zealous Vee fans do her such a disservice requesting these endless comparisons. No other player needs to be discredited to acknowledge Venus. Should the need arise, sans Vee, someone will step up.
I vehemently object to this. The Wlliams get critized roundinly for things they do wrong, but the fans cannot praise them for doing the right thing?
I did not the discredit you are referring to.

To fill a position, it is completely legitimate to comapare the previous holder of the position, to the potential candidates vying for that position.
It just happened that in this particualr case, did an excellent job, hence it came through in the debate.

BTW, it know it is easier to make your argument if you pin this ti Venus fan only.
Unfortunately, it is not true reading this thread. All fans, not just Venus fans, recognize there will big shoes to fill when Venus leave the position.

I think you are in for a long year of disppaointment, because it won't just be the Zealous Vee fans who will talk about this. You will hear it during GS telecast from TV reporters and commentators, from print press. And I would not be surprised if Venus get attention from some American Jewish
civil right group for taking this stand in such a public way where she had the attention of everybody and there is not chance to edit the comments.

Albireo
Feb 22nd, 2009, 06:45 PM
I agree, the situation will likely bring someone forth.

That's also part of the problem. The players can't live from crisis to crisis; they need someone to speak for them before the need arises, so they don't get caught flat-footed as with the Dubai situation. Waiting for someone to take the reins is only going to result in a bunch of distrusting kids looking at each other out of the corners of their eyes while the situation escalates out of hand.

raffles
Feb 22nd, 2009, 07:08 PM
That's also part of the problem. The players can't live from crisis to crisis; they need someone to speak for them before the need arises, so they don't get caught flat-footed as with the Dubai situation. Waiting for someone to take the reins is only going to result in a bunch of distrusting kids looking at each other out of the corners of their eyes while the situation escalates out of hand.
All very true, but it seems that at some point the players gave up "ownership" of the WTA and the tour. If they want to get back to being actively involved in it is another question. They didn't seem particularly overjoyed by the roadmap but it didn't appear that they could organise any kind of collective action on the matter. Or maybe they weren't bothered and just wanted to have a little whine about it.

sipnsurfMurph
Feb 22nd, 2009, 07:57 PM
I vehemently object to this. The Wlliams get critized roundinly for things they do wrong, but the fans cannot praise them for doing the right thing?

I did not the discredit you are referring to.

To fill a position, it is completely legitimate to comapare the previous holder of the position, to the potential candidates vying for that position.
It just happened that in this particualr case, did an excellent job, hence it came through in the debate.

BTW, it know it is easier to make your argument if you pin this ti Venus fan only.
Unfortunately, it is not true reading this thread. All fans, not just Venus fans, recognize there will big shoes to fill when Venus leave the position.

I think you are in for a long year of disppaointment, because it won't just be the Zealous Vee fans who will talk about this. You will hear it during GS telecast from TV reporters and commentators, from print press. And I would not be surprised if Venus get attention from some American Jewish
civil right group for taking this stand in such a public way where she had the attention of everybody and there is not chance to edit the comments.

Not sure what you're objecting to..... Celebrate Vee as often as you wish. I do it all the time.

The only thing I find mildly annoying is the need to put other players down. Frankly, its just not necessary. Vee is who she is, so are the other players. There is no official hunt to replace what she brings to the game.

Albireo
Feb 22nd, 2009, 08:04 PM
All very true, but it seems that at some point the players gave up "ownership" of the WTA and the tour. If they want to get back to being actively involved in it is another question. They didn't seem particularly overjoyed by the roadmap but it didn't appear that they could organise any kind of collective action on the matter. Or maybe they weren't bothered and just wanted to have a little whine about it.

I normally hate one-word responses, but: exactly. :)

bobbynorwich
Feb 22nd, 2009, 10:36 PM
I don't think they need to be GS winners they need to articulate, smart and have the respect of the other players. I think an older player with experience on the tour and more time to devote to such things would be more suitable. Despite what other people have mentioned I think Mauresmo would be good, she's well liked and yes she not the loudest mouth on the tour but I think she gave the most appropriate response to the Peer/Dubai situation.

I agree ... she needs to be smart, articulate, and respected. Plus she must care deeply about the integrity of women's tennis and be states(wo)manlike. Thinking Mauresmo, Dechy, or Dementieva.

bobbynorwich
Feb 22nd, 2009, 10:56 PM
The ability to speak English well DOES matter. Not for any tennis reason, but because English is 'the international language of business', and we're talking about the business side of tennis.

It's hard to be persuasive in a language you're not comfortable in. And if you're bringing any level of charisma or charm to the table, having to use a translator kills you.

The men's reps to the ATP (top tier) each have English as a second language, i.e. Federer, Nadal, Djokovic. They all manage to get their points across, even Nadal whose English is ... uh, curious at times.

miffedmax
Feb 23rd, 2009, 01:17 AM
As an overall fan of the WTA, I think Lena would be a great choice. She's smart, articulate and can show a little ginger when she needs too.

As a Lena D. fan, I think the last thing she needs is more distractions!

I think Kuzzy would be another good choice. She popular, smart, knows what's what. Masha? Just don't think she's be interested.

Volcana
Feb 26th, 2009, 12:02 PM
The men's reps to the ATP (top tier) each have English as a second language, i.e. Federer, Nadal, Djokovic. They all manage to get their points across, even Nadal whose English is ... uh, curious at times.Speaking English as a second language does not preclude speaking English 'well'. I've dealt with people from twenty or thirty different countries in business and they all spoke English 'well', although with different ranges of fluency and of course, different accents.

And Lindsay Davenport is going to have more clout in a business situation than Chanda Rubin, regardless of the fact that Rubin is well-spoken, intelligent and respected. Being a multi-slam winner counts when a player tries to bring it to the boardroom.