PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me or is the Top 5 actually starting to look like a Top 5.

Tennisstar86
Feb 21st, 2009, 05:58 PM
With Venus entering the top 5 we've now got Venus, Serena, Safina, Dementieva, and Jelena.... now if only Sharapova can come back and knock Safina out...

Uranium
Feb 21st, 2009, 05:59 PM
Sharapova or Mauresmo can knock out JJ and the top 5 would be :worship:

mdterp01
Feb 21st, 2009, 06:00 PM
Its the best we can get but we definitely need Sharapova in there. Right now only 2 of the 5 have won a grand slam, and of the 3 who didn't...its head case city.

AnomyBC
Feb 21st, 2009, 06:02 PM
I'll be happy when Sharapova and Ivanovic are both back in the Top 5 :)

volta
Feb 21st, 2009, 06:03 PM
i'd trade Safina and Elena for Sharapova/Ivanovic and Momo any day but yeah things are starting to look interesting now :D

Mashafaaaaan
Feb 21st, 2009, 06:03 PM
there is No Sharapova, so there is no real top 5:rolleyes:

KournikovaFan91
Feb 21st, 2009, 06:04 PM
Jankovic is deffo the one that shouldnt be there. :rolleyes: please what exactly has she achieved.

GS Winners like Ivanovic and Sharapova are needed up there.

Demska
Feb 21st, 2009, 06:05 PM
replace dinara with maria

mckyle.
Feb 21st, 2009, 06:06 PM
With Venus entering the top 5 we've now got Venus, Serena, Safina, Dementieva, and Jelena.... now if only Sharapova can come back and knock Safina out...

Safina? Safina's last 52 weeks have been some of the most impressive on tour currently...

tennisbum79
Feb 21st, 2009, 06:08 PM
Sharapova or Mauresmo can knock out JJ and the top 5 would be :worship:
I agree. And they both won GS.

AcesHigh
Feb 21st, 2009, 06:09 PM
Safina and Jelena both deserve to be there.

Slutiana
Feb 21st, 2009, 06:10 PM
Agreed, Dinara needs to go. Hopefully as Maria gains points and Dinaras points come off from Claycourt season onwards, she'll be replaced

Apoleb
Feb 21st, 2009, 06:11 PM
A very good top 5 would be Venus, Serena, Mauresmo, Sharapova and one of the Serbs.

Mikey B
Feb 21st, 2009, 06:12 PM
serena, venus, maria, jelena, dinara... there's a top 5 i wana see!

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Feb 21st, 2009, 06:12 PM
Safina , Jankovic and Dementieva are not playing top 5 tennis

Chance
Feb 21st, 2009, 06:14 PM
A very good top 5 would be Venus, Serena, Mauresmo, Sharapova and one of the Serbs.

Yep. agree with that...However, to be fair Dementieva has been VERY consistent in the last 6 months.
I'm intrigued to see what Sharpy can do when she comes back....

volta
Feb 21st, 2009, 06:18 PM
am i the only one who thinks that Maria will do great as soon as she get's back on tour? (well besides the mashabators and Maria fans that is). She played some great tennis at the YEC in 07 after coming back from an injury. Granted this injury is alot more serious but still ...

adner
Feb 21st, 2009, 06:23 PM
In fact, it's starting. For now it should look like(no order) Jankovic, Ivanovic, Dementieva, Venus, Serena as there is no Sharapova around. After Sharapova comes back she could replace Jankovic or Ivanovic. Definitely there is no place for Safina in Real Top Five.

Dave.
Feb 21st, 2009, 06:26 PM
Just so people realise, players shouldn't be and are not ranked by their achievements. So, no, Venus coming back to the top 5 isn't any more special than anyone else who would have had her results.

But I am glad she is back there, she fully deserves it of course.

Bayo
Feb 21st, 2009, 06:28 PM

Elena is not playing Top-5 tennis? Two titles to start the year, and her only losses have been to the eventual tournament champion.

starin
Feb 21st, 2009, 06:31 PM
i would put Ana I and Maria Sharapova in there for it to be a solid top 5

MarieC
Feb 21st, 2009, 06:43 PM
An intriguing top 5 would be Serena, Venus, Sharapova, Ivanovic, and Jankovic. That would be an exciting top 5. Sorry but Safina as the #2 player isn't doing anything for the game.

Izzie.
Feb 21st, 2009, 06:45 PM
All you need is Maria in and either Safina or JJ out, in my opinion. Safina deserves to enter when she keeps some consistency.

Matt01
Feb 21st, 2009, 06:47 PM
am i the only one who thinks that Maria will do great as soon as she get's back on tour? (well besides the mashabators and Maria fans that is). She played some great tennis at the YEC in 07 after coming back from an injury. Granted this injury is alot more serious but still ...

But that injury only took her out for a few weeks...she played Us Open, Moscow and then YEC in 2007.
And currently she is out for over 6 months already I think...

volta
Feb 21st, 2009, 06:57 PM
But that injury only took her out for a few weeks...she played Us Open, Moscow and then YEC in 2007.
And currently she is out for over 6 months already I think...

yeah that's what's putting a ? into her return , i don't know i just think that she will do good , i guess we will see in IW (if she plays that is :tape: )

joćo.
Feb 21st, 2009, 06:57 PM
Maria :sad:

Infiniti2001
Feb 21st, 2009, 06:59 PM

I don't care for headcase Demented --- sorry miffedmax:kiss:, but she cannot be ignored. She has been playing some decent tennis in the last year.

spartanfan
Feb 21st, 2009, 07:03 PM
Why has NOONE mentioned Kuznetsova as a top 5 contender? Sure she's a headcase, she RUSSIAN! All Russians are always slightly defective. Here's my Top 10.
1.Serena
2.Venus
3. Jankovic
4. Safina (people are overlooking the fact that she's the only other player besides Serena to make two slam finals in the past year.)
5. Dementieva
6. Ivanovic
7. Sharapova
8. Kuznetsova
9. Up and coming player
10. Up and coming player

Mynarco
Feb 21st, 2009, 07:03 PM
Healthy Jelena definitely deserves to be in top 5.
end of discussion.

DarkchildSwiss
Feb 21st, 2009, 07:05 PM
Williams sisters and Dementieva okay, Sharapova for Safina and Ivanovic for Jankovic would be be real top 5.

Chance
Feb 21st, 2009, 07:09 PM
Totally forgot about Svetlana :0 (First Nadia and now Svetlana :( ) but Svetlana's form in the last few months has been very disappointing, except her AO performance.

Then again Amelie's results haven't been that great... No, when I think about it Svetlana may have the game but mentally Dementieva and the Serbs are tougher.... which goes to show you how mentally weak Svetlana is right now :(

Malva
Feb 21st, 2009, 07:12 PM
Its the best we can get but we definitely need Sharapova in there. Right now only 2 of the 5 have won a grand slam, and of the 3 who didn't...its head case city.

I do not agree.

Those three are very good generally but to win a slam for any of them is more difficult than for Serena or Venus who play a lot less but can mobilize better when really needed, i.e. in the second week of a grand slam.

debopero
Feb 21st, 2009, 07:17 PM
1. Serena
2. Venus
3. Sharapova
4. Mauresmo
5. Jankovic

:D

Matt01
Feb 21st, 2009, 07:19 PM
1. Serena
2. Safina
3. Jankovic
4. Ivanovic
5. Mauresmo :hearts:

Junzilla69
Feb 21st, 2009, 08:07 PM
Serena, Elena, Vera, Venus and Maria ftw.

Michaelz
Feb 21st, 2009, 08:09 PM
with Maria replacing JJ will be good

calabar
Feb 21st, 2009, 08:36 PM
Don't we all yearn for the good old days when THE top 5 was Venus, Serena, Capriati, Davenport and Hingis. It wasn't that long ago when the winner of just about any tournament would come from that quintet. Those were the glory days of women's tennis.

DOUBLEFIST
Feb 21st, 2009, 08:42 PM

Correction: ...now if only Sharapova can come back and knock Safina Jelena out...

Uranium
Feb 21st, 2009, 08:45 PM
1. Serena
2. Safina
3. Jankovic
4. Ivanovic
5. Mauresmo :hearts:

:lol:

Leo_DFP
Feb 21st, 2009, 09:01 PM
Guys, are you all crazy? I don't understand this thread. Are we talking ideal Top 5s or realistic ones? Because even with her Paris performance, Mauresmo is not a Top 5 player. Her results over the last 52 weeks have been consistently pathetic. Whereas Dementieva has gone QF-SF-SF-SF at the last four Grand Slams and won the Olympics, and Safina has made two Grand Slam finals in the year and won so many titles.

Even if it is an ideal, it's just not realistic that Mauresmo could play Top 5 tennis at her age anymore, I believe. And I do like her. She brings a lot to the tour with her flair, volley skills, and one-handed backhand.

Andy.
Feb 21st, 2009, 10:24 PM
Now all we need is a healthy Maria to comeback and reclaim her rightful place in the top 5.

PizzaMan
Feb 21st, 2009, 10:27 PM
The ideal/realistic top 5, in their ideal/realistic order
1. Serena
2. Venus
3. Maria
4. Lena D
5. Ana Ivanovic
:)

I can't put MoMo in there. She's had a more accomplished career than Lena and Ana, but I don't think she's as good as they are at this point; she doesn't intuitively strike me as a top-5 player.

Matt01
Feb 21st, 2009, 10:49 PM
:lol:

What's so funny about my Top 5? :(

mboyle
Feb 21st, 2009, 10:57 PM
well yes, having two slam contenders in the top five is better than having only one. Order will be restored when Sharapova and Ivanovic round out the top four with Venus and Serena.

Caillou
Feb 21st, 2009, 11:09 PM
pizzza you are the man! lol..seriously tho i agree with your top 5

morningglory
Feb 21st, 2009, 11:14 PM
4 players with multi slam titles so far (yes, AO 06 DOES count)
Serena (duh)
Venus (duh)
Maria (if healthy)
Mauresmo (I believe she's regaining her form)

5th place can go to anyone really... Ivanovic (if consistent) Kuznetsova (if playing at her max) Dementieva (impressive start of season so far)

maddogz48
Feb 22nd, 2009, 12:02 AM
The Top 5 is shaping up indeed.

Just need to add Sharapova and Ivanovic in the mix and remove Jankovic and Safina.

1. Serena
2. Venus
3. Sharapova
4. Ivanovic
5. Dementieva

Inger67
Feb 22nd, 2009, 12:23 AM
Are some of you people delusional? How can you put Mauresmo in the TOP 5? Yes she played good tennis last week in Paris but she has sustained no consistency and has horrible losses over the past year.

Top 5:
1. Serena
2. Venus
3. Sharapova (When she comes back)
4. Dementieva
5. Jankovic

Okay I really dislike both Dementieva and Jankovic but until Ivanovic proves anything (more than just one set against Serena) she does not deserve to be a top 5 player. And anyone that says Dementieva doesn't deserve to be a top 5 player obviously has not been watching the last 1 1/2 months of tennis. And I even put JJ in there because her ending last year was great and has done better than Ivanovic this year. Just because Ivanovic got lucky at one slam doesn't mean she should be put in a category higher than her Serbian counterpart.

Volcana
Feb 22nd, 2009, 12:48 AM
Are some of you people delusional? How can you put Mauresmo in the TOP 5? Yes she played good tennis last week in Paris but she has sustained no consistency and has horrible losses over the past year.Look at it this way. There have been four 'Premier'-level tournaments this year. All of them have been won by players that even casual fans have heard of. Dementieva is the least accomplished of the four, and she just won the Olympics.

People like some familiarity with winners. They're getting that now. Zvonareva and Safina are somewhat unfamiliar quantities. Jankovic has not worn the mantle of #1 ranked player with ease. The over-25s are ruling the tour right now. The 20-25 year olds need to step up, as Sharapova and Ivanovic have, is real ways, not just in ranking.

DragonFlame
Feb 22nd, 2009, 01:06 AM
The top5 i want to see shape up again(in no particular order):

Serena, Venus, Dementieva, Sharapova, Ivanovic.
The big names + winners of the 6 big titles. :)

The rest of the top10 should be:
Jankovic, Safina, Mauresmo, Kuznetsova and Zvonareva

Although i wouldn't mind losing some of them for the young guns.

pav
Feb 22nd, 2009, 01:14 AM
Get a grip on yourselves, the top five,the deserved top five, the rightful top five are the ones that are there week to week ,don't confuse it with your desires! Let go of yourselves!

Привет
Feb 22nd, 2009, 01:47 AM
I'm more concerned with the top 5 playing like the top 5, rather than looking like the top 5.

TennisViewer531
Feb 22nd, 2009, 03:03 AM
Mauresmo can get back in the top 10!

StZox
Feb 22nd, 2009, 03:39 AM
I can't believe people are saying Jelena doesn't deserve to be in Top5.
PLEASE!!!!!!!!!
One months she is a little sloppy and you forget all her great matches!!!!!
She is the only one who can SERIOUSLY challenge the Williams sisters right now and make a high-quality match!

Serena, Venus, Sharapova, Ivanovic, Jankovic (Dementieva)

pollison
Feb 22nd, 2009, 03:58 AM
1. serena
2. venus
3. sharapova
4. mauresmo
5. ivanovic/jankovic

at full flight i think this would be the top 5 and maybe a youngster like azarenka

austennis
Feb 22nd, 2009, 07:12 AM
For me the ideal top 5 should/would b
Venus, Serena, Ana, Maria, Elena

PizzaMan
Feb 22nd, 2009, 09:46 AM
PLEASE!!!!!!!!!
One months she is a little sloppy and you forget all her great matches!!!!!
She is the only one who can SERIOUSLY challenge the Williams sisters right now and make a high-quality match!

Serena, Venus, Sharapova, Ivanovic, Jankovic (Dementieva)

"Deserve" is only one part of it though. According to the points system, Jelena deserves it. But I think this thread is more about a desire that the top 5 consist of big names, names that casual fans know of. Having a top 5 dominated by nobodies (as far as casual fans are concerned), as it has been for a while now, doesn't help the game. But having a top 5 consisting of well known champions does. That's what I took from the thread's title "the Top 5 actually starting to look like a Top 5".

That's why so many have picked a list consisting of Serena, Venus, Maria, Ana, and Lena, in various orders. The first three are clearly big name champs that casuals know about. Ana and Lena, less so, but they are the current holders of two well known titles, and they also are known by some casuals that are attracted to their looks (though they don't even begin to approach the Anna K phenomenon of having millions follow them strictly for their looks). I don't think Jelena or Dinara fit. They aren't big name champs, haven't won any big titles, and don't have any following among casual fans. The 5 I listed each have at least one of those traits.

madlove
Feb 22nd, 2009, 10:32 AM
at the moment its venus, serena & elena are the power players.

Midnight_Robber
Feb 22nd, 2009, 02:38 PM
I agree with Pizzaman. My understanding was that this was a thread about someone's 'ideal' of what a strong top 5 would look like. For me, I'd like to see all of the players healthy, playing to the best of their ability, and fulfilling their commitments, thus creating a genuinely competitive field. If this were to actually happen, I think the top 5 *might* look something like this:

Serena/Venus OR: Venus/Serena in the top 2 spots, followed by Sharapova, Mauresmo, and Ivanovic filling out the next 3 spots. As you can see, I'd prefer my ideal top 5 to be dominated by players who are not only talented but have a slam-winning pedigree.

Kuznetsova, Safina, Dementieva, Jankovic, and Zvonareva (or Petrova) would round out the rest of top ten, in no particular order. For me, Kuznetsova is a tricky one, because she would be the only player in the lower half of my top ten who has actually won a slam and been to a slam final. When she's on, her forehand is formidable while her net-play and mobility is quite a bit better than Ivanovic's. Furthermore, her loss in 11 finals is indicative of a mental block rather than a lack of native talent.

But I've given Ana the nod for having made it three slam finals and winning one, for briefly getting to number 1 and being a fresh talent. If Jankovic broke through and actually won a slam, then things might be different. I actually prefer Jankovic's game to Ana's and wouldn't write her off just because she's in a slump, but Ana's 2 slam finals + slam win + number 1 ranking and more positive play of late gives her the edge - for the moment.

Dementieva is playing extremely well at the moment, has 2 slam finals and an Olympic Gold medal to boot. But - no slams. She's extremely hard-working, but then again Safina has already been to as many slam finals as Dementieva and attained a higher ranking than Elena - and she's a younger player...

Volcana
Feb 22nd, 2009, 03:00 PM
PLEASE!!!!!!!!!

One months she is a little sloppy and you forget all her great matches!!!!!Look at it this way.Jankovic - 1 slam final, four Tier I wins, #1 ranking, 24 in six days

Safina - 2 slams, three Tier I wins, #2 ranking, 23 in six weeks
If Safina can be casually tossed out of the Top 5, then so can JJ. The level of accomplishment, and recent accomplishement, is almost identical.

Comes down to, give the slam holders spots, give Sharapova a spot based on track record, and you only have one spot left. Jankovic, Dementieva, Safina, Zvonareva - pick one. You could defend any of them, which is why they're ranked as high as they are.

And if, after IW, Safina supplants Serena at #1, very few people ae going to argue that it means that Safina is better than Serena. But Safina will have earned the #1 ranking. The ranking system isn't designed to order the players by who's best, and it doesn't.

fammmmedspin
Feb 22nd, 2009, 03:31 PM
I'm more concerned with the top 5 playing like the top 5, rather than looking like the top 5.
Precisely.
Dud AO final. Win for resurrected Mauresmo. Razzano in a final to play Venus producing another uncompetitive final match. Its another appalling year so far. There's effectively a top 1 which alternates between Venus and Serena and they don't even have to play as well to win as they did for much of 2000-2008. If they can't get two good players playing a final playing well soon people will give up watching.

I can't see why anyone would discount the Russians either. They produced some of the few good matches in 2008 and 2009 and both look nearer to winning a slam now than either of the Serbs, Maria with a bad shoulder or Mauresmo hovering between comeback and retirement.

pov
Feb 22nd, 2009, 06:50 PM
Don't know if it's just you but the top 5 is always the top 5 - the 5 players who have earned the most points in the 12-month period. Now if you mean the top 5 is starting to have the players you consider the best players in the WTA . yeah okay . .I can see that.

#1Davenport
Feb 22nd, 2009, 07:45 PM
Ivanovic and Sharapova need to replace Jelena and Dementieva... then it will be a good top 5.

Shawn
Feb 22nd, 2009, 07:57 PM
is anyone watching tennis or just looking at scores. The top 5 in my opinion is correct based on the past 12 months of performance. Jelena has played beautifully and Safina has her ups and downs but for the most part, has had her best year by far. Dementieva has cleaned up her serve somewhat but her groundstrokes have always been one of the best on tour. Serena and Venus are playing top 1&2 tennis but Venus did have a big hiccup in AO. So when Maria comes back, she will regain her place in the top 5 but for now, she hasn't played and all the women who are there, deserve to be there.

DA FOREHAND
Feb 23rd, 2009, 01:01 AM
Healthy Jelena definitely deserves to be in top 5.
end of discussion.

JJ is not healthy?

~Eclipsed~
Feb 23rd, 2009, 03:48 AM
No, because Venus should be ranked higher than 5. :p

TennisViewer531
Feb 23rd, 2009, 08:48 AM
Indeed, Venus Williams should be number one or two! ;)

Direwolf
Feb 23rd, 2009, 09:07 AM
Agree...
Now if one these top 5 can be
in the finals of Indian Wells
and the French