PDA

View Full Version : Peer affecting the mens Dubai tournament

pollison
Feb 21st, 2009, 04:20 AM
The womens tournament boasted the top 10 players in the world...but so far the mens tournament has already had the withdrawl of nadal, federer and roddick. Roddick even spoke about his discust at Peer not being allowed to play. Also a host of top 20 players are missing...

Do you think that players are taking into account Peers rejection from the tournament into their own decisions to not play in Dubai????

Mightymirza
Feb 21st, 2009, 04:22 AM
:lol: I am pretty sure fed and Nadal rnt making decision based on Peer case..Dunno about roddick

meyerpl
Feb 21st, 2009, 04:26 AM
:lol: I am pretty sure fed and Nadal rnt making decision based on Peer case..Dunno about roddickWhat are you basing your certainty on?

mdterp01
Feb 21st, 2009, 04:29 AM
Uhh because Nadal withdrew because of knee issues and wanting to rest before Indian Wells and Miami, and Federer withdrew because of a back issue.

tennnisfannn
Feb 21st, 2009, 04:36 AM
nadal could barely move in rotterdam and was bagelled by Murray just last week, he was already injured long before Peer became an issue. Federer is inured if he was making a stand against dubai it would be menaingless to withdraw and not state it was in disgust of the peer issue.

Andrew Laeddis
Feb 21st, 2009, 04:38 AM
Roddick just played San Jose, he is currently playing Memphis and he has Davis Cup. I doubt he withdrew because of Peer.

Mightymirza
Feb 21st, 2009, 04:39 AM
What are you basing your certainty on?

Well for once, they would say so..:shrug: Somewhere or to someone! Otherwise it doesnt really make sense.

meyerpl
Feb 21st, 2009, 04:42 AM
Uhh because Nadal withdrew because of knee issues and wanting to rest before Indian Wells and Miami, and Federer withdrew because of a back issue.Thanks. I didn't know that.

Serenita
Feb 21st, 2009, 04:43 AM
:lol: I am pretty sure fed and Nadal rnt making decision based on Peer case..Dunno about roddick
i have to agree here, nadal wasnt playing great in Rotterdam he had problem with his knees.

Wiggly
Feb 21st, 2009, 04:43 AM
Not at all. Get real.
Peer went from the most hated player to a martyr in about a year.

bobbynorwich
Feb 21st, 2009, 04:46 AM
:lol: I am pretty sure Fed and Nadal are making decision based on Peer case..Dunno about roddick

Don't think it factored into Nadal's decision, but suspect it did for Federer. After all, he is a player rep to the ATP, adopted favorite son of Dubai, and someone dedicated to the integrity of professional tennis. When he pulled out, the Andy Ram visa controversy was on fire and looked like going the way of the Peer visa denial. If he pulled out after a Ram visa denial, it would be an obvious rebuff of the ruling emirates.

So he astutely dropped out before all hell broke loose and gave an innocuous statement about an old "back injury." Really brilliant if you think about it, as he would have to make some kind of statement if in Dubai after was Ram denied, an obvious no-win for Roger.

Now with Andy Roddick, I think he wanted to drop Dubai for other reasons but figured --- oh what the heck --- might as well get some bonus points by claiming the Peer visa scandal as a rationale.

Nadal, nah...just his knees.

duhcity
Feb 21st, 2009, 04:57 AM
Well Federer withdrew from his Davis Cup matches, which means that the US will easily roll over Switzerland. So unless the Swiss tennis federation is denying visas to players due to ethnicity, I doubt it.

ps+ Andy needed a good reason to not go. He is defending champ after all. He just probably doesnt want to fly all the way there then back to the US

Mateo Mathieu
Feb 21st, 2009, 04:57 AM
You're obviously not an ATP fan ;)

bobbynorwich
Feb 21st, 2009, 05:08 AM
Well Federer withdrew from his Davis Cup matches, which means that the US will easily roll over Switzerland. So unless the Swiss tennis federation is denying visas to players due to ethnicity, I doubt it.

Davis Cup was a cover for Fed's real reason for canceling Dubai --- a slick finesse out of a sticky diplomatic wicket.

tennisbum79
Feb 21st, 2009, 05:26 AM
Peer got her extorsion money and she has already been forgotten.
By taking/accepting the money, she conceded the moral high ground she had in this fight.

I now appears that she sacrificed principles for money and, in the process, shortened the shelf life of this issue.

"It was all the about the money" is aleady being murmured in some quarters.

darrinbaker00
Feb 21st, 2009, 05:36 AM
Uhh because Nadal withdrew because of knee issues and wanting to rest before Indian Wells and Miami, and Federer withdrew because of a back issue.
Actually, Nadal specifically mentioned Davis Cup.