Feb 20th, 2009, 11:12 PM
.. alleging racial discrimination.

The case is Zina Garrison v. The United States Tennis
Association Inc. ‘09 CIV 1573, U.S. District Court, Southern
District of New York (Manhattan).

Should be on the news soon..

Uranium
Feb 20th, 2009, 11:22 PM
This has been known since around the Australian Open time.

-jenks-
Feb 20th, 2009, 11:27 PM
what happened??

Uranium
Feb 20th, 2009, 11:29 PM
what happened??

She got fired as Fed Cup Captain.

LeonHart
Feb 21st, 2009, 12:16 AM
She got fired as Fed Cup Captain.

She was fired? I thought she quit :o

tennisbum79
Feb 21st, 2009, 12:27 AM
I am not sure on what ground she is suing.

But I know this. She was a failure as a Fed Cup captain.

SM
Feb 21st, 2009, 12:30 AM
guys you do not know what happened behind the scenes. so don't attack Zina because we dont know the full story!

markdelaney
Feb 21st, 2009, 12:31 AM
she has had a major chip on her shoulder for a very long time. Sure there is occasional racism in tennis and it is repugnant but she did this as a player, calling Pam Shriver racist after a match which was totally unfounded.
She is out of the job because she didn't achieve, albeit with limited resources. Does it not occur to her it might be for some reason other than being black ?

What's next ? Billie Jean claiming she had to step down because of lesbian discrimination ?

tennisbum79
Feb 21st, 2009, 12:33 AM
guys you do not know what happened behind the scenes. so don't attack Zina because we dont know the full story!

That is why I stated "I do not know on what ground she is suing".

And I am not attacking her. I am just stating she was a failure as a captain.

I don't think there will be much disagreement on that.

tennisbum79
Feb 21st, 2009, 12:37 AM
she has had a major chip on her shoulder for a very long time. Sure there is occasional racism in tennis and it is repugnant but she did this as a player, calling Pam Shriver racist after a match which was totally unfounded.
She is out of the job because she didn't achieve, albeit with limited resources. Does it not occur to her it might be for some reason other than being black ?

What's next ? Billie Jean claiming she had to step down because of lesbian discrimination ?

Do you know for sure she is suing on racial discrimination ground?
You seem to be overplaying it. Do you have any proof
And what does Pam Shriver accusation has to do with this? Just to bolster you racial angle of the argument you're making?

Yonexforever
Feb 21st, 2009, 12:44 AM
I started the thread when this first came up in January.
Search!!!
She was suing for descrmination...

Wiggly
Feb 21st, 2009, 12:46 AM
Fed Cup is about the team spirit.
If you suck, you do what's best for the team and let someone else do your job in a better way. Aka convincing the WS to show up. :lol:

markdelaney
Feb 21st, 2009, 12:46 AM
Do you know for sure she is suing on racial discrimination ground?
You seem to be overplaying it. Do you have any proof
And what does Pam Shriver accusation has to do with this? Just to bolster you racial angle of the argument you're making?

The Pam Shriver incident has a lot to do with it IF this is what Zina is suing for.

If Zina has been racially discriminated against then I hope she wins the case. But you cannot deny she has a history of claiming racism when it isn't there. Pam called Zina "stupid" during a match after an incident and Zina took this to be a racial slur and stated Pam had said this insult because she was black.

Noctis
Feb 21st, 2009, 12:50 AM
She sucked as team captain dont bother

tennisbum79
Feb 21st, 2009, 12:54 AM
The Pam Shriver incident has a lot to do with it IF this is what Zina is suing for.

If Zina has been racially discriminated against then I hope she wins the case. But you cannot deny she has a history of claiming racism when it isn't there. Pam called Zina "stupid" during a match after an incident and Zina took this to be a racial slur and stated Pam had said this insult because she was black.

Look, it is not clear to me or anyone else that she is suing on racial discrimination ground.
For you to imply that it is case because Zina had an incident with Pam Shriver when Zina called Pam racist is disingenuous and clouding the issue.

As you can see in my previous post, I did not like her as a Fed Cup captain.

Noctis
Feb 21st, 2009, 12:59 AM
Shes just bitter and been a nuisance cos she got sacked
I Watch her coach last year vs Russia shes plainly shouts crap

Joseosu19
Feb 21st, 2009, 03:41 AM
Look, it is not clear to me or anyone else that she is suing on racial discrimination ground.
For you to imply that it is case because Zina had an incident with Pam Shriver when Zina called Pam racist is disingenuous and clouding the issue.

As you can see in my previous post, I did not like her as a Fed Cup captain.
Well considering the starter of the thread said "alleging racial discrimination", I can see why he assumed it was an issue of race.

spartanfan
Feb 21st, 2009, 04:18 AM
Let's all be honest here; Zina got the job as Fed Cup captain because she's black and the USTA governing body thought she could bring Venus and Serena into playing Fed Cup more readily. But Fed Cup Captain's have never been the problem or issue with the WS. They just don't care about FED CUP! Plain and simple, it's not a priority for them. And the ONLY reason why they have played it in the past is because it's a pre-requisite to play in the Olympics game. Venus and Serena could't care less about playing for country. Hell half the time they can't be bother to do their day job and don't carry their spoiled asses to all these tournaments who would pay them probably between $250-500,000 just to show up and play TENNIS. Plus the prize money.
Therefore, Zina could't come thru on the sista card for the USTA so she had to go. Next, up Mary Joe Fernandez. Why else do you think she's been also so kind in her praise of Venus and Serena for so many years? She knew she could bankroll her words of praise into Venus and Serena playing Fed Cup when she eventually rose to Fed Cup Captain. It's ALL about Politics.

supergrunt
Feb 21st, 2009, 04:24 AM
Let's all be honest here; Zina got the job as Fed Cup captain because she's black and the USTA governing body thought she could bring Venus and Serena into playing Fed Cup more readily. But Fed Cup Captain's have never been the problem or issue with the WS. They just don't care about FED CUP! Plain and simple, it's not a priority for them. And the ONLY reason why they have played it in the past is because it's a pre-requisite to play in the Olympics game. Venus and Serena could't care less about playing for country. Hell half the time they can't be bother to do their day job and don't carry their spoiled asses to all these tournaments who would pay them probably between $250-500,000 just to show up and play TENNIS. Plus the prize money.
Therefore, Zina could't come thru on the sista card for the USTA so she had to go. Next, up Mary Joe Fernandez. Why else do you think she's been also so kind in her praise of Venus and Serena for so many years? She knew she could bankroll her words of praise into Venus and Serena playing Fed Cup when she eventually rose to Fed Cup Captain. It's ALL about Politics.

That is a bunch of bull. The Williams Sisters are very close with BJK, the previous Fed Cup coach so I do not know where you're going.

spartanfan
Feb 21st, 2009, 04:30 AM
That is a bunch of bull. The Williams Sisters are very close with BJK, the previous Fed Cup coach so I do not know where you're going.
HELLO BJK couldn't get Venus and Serena to play half the time either! Why else do you think they got rid of her ASS in the first place? POLITICS! BJK was usherd out as Fed Cup Captain (the whole Capriati debackle didn't help either)

eugreene2
Feb 21st, 2009, 04:38 AM
Lawd, there is so much un-needed speculation in a thread from people who don't know what the hell is really goin on LMAO

ys
Feb 21st, 2009, 04:49 AM
I started the thread when this first came up in January.
Search!!!
She was suing for a violation of her contract and wrongfull termination.

She was NOT suing for anything in January. The complaint was filed yesterday. There is no other Garrison vs USTA case in the system. Only this one. There was nothing before that.

Reading the Complaint though is interesting, almost fun. Basically, her major points are that she was paid, treated, etc by USTA not as good as white captains King, McEnroe and now Fernandez because of racial prejudice. There is very little of factual stuff there. Mostly it is emotional, being insulted by "tenor and tone", this kind of stuff..

For instance:

"20. In July 2007, the Fed Cup semifinals were to be played in Stowe, Vermont. Several days before the semifinal matches, Serena Williams advised Garrison that she would be unable to compete due to injury which subsequently sidelined her for weeks. When Garrison reported this to Jim Curley, the managing director of Tournament Operations at the USTA, he urged Garrison to pressure Serena Williams to play despite her injury, and strongly implied that she was not injured enough to sit the match out - a suggestion Garrison heard repeatedly from USTA officials when African-American players reported injuries, but never when white players reported injuries"

or

"31 During the conversation Garrison explained to Curley then , as she had on many occasions, that she had succeeded in recruiting the top players including the Williams sisters and Lindsay Davenport, but that injuries often prevented them from competing. Curley, like other USTA officials, questioned whether the Williams sisters were actually injured, and suggested that they - but not the white players - were unreliable and were using injuries as an excuse not to play. Garrison objected to this unfair and baseless criticism which she believed was based on racially stereotyped views of the Williams sisters as lazy and unreliable. In response to Garrison objections , Curley threatened that is Garrison didn't lead the US Fed Cup team to the finals in the next Fed Cup, the USTA would not consider her Captaincy successful"

"37 The reasons that the USTA asserted for not renewing Garrison's contract were a pretext for its unlawful motivation to replace her with a non-African-American Captain. Later through other sources within USTA, Garrison learned that the USTA wanted someone to put on a "public face" to the US Fed Cup, and concluded that Garrison did not have "the look" that it was trying to promote."

and so on..

I am not sure how she is going to prove all that.. But she requested a jury trial. In this time it might actually work.

darrinbaker00
Feb 21st, 2009, 04:55 AM
So the USTA is prejudiced against blacks, but not Latinos and lesbians? I love Zina to death, but she wasn't let go because she was black. She was let go because she didn't win.

spartanfan
Feb 21st, 2009, 05:00 AM
So the USTA is prejudiced against blacks, but not Latinos and lesbians? I love Zina to death, but she wasn't let go because she was black. She was let go because she didn't win.
Again people you're missing the big picture. Zina's only job was to get Venus and Serna to play Fed Cup. Winning would take care of itself. She could't get Venus and Serena to play except the year before the Olympics, so they could then play the Olympics. Don't expect to see Venus or Serena play Fed Cup again until 2011, the year before the London Olympics in 2012.

supergrunt
Feb 21st, 2009, 05:11 AM
well she's right about the Venus and Serena part

tennisbum79
Feb 21st, 2009, 05:40 AM
She was NOT suing for anything in January. The complaint was filed yesterday. There is no other Garrison vs USTA case in the system. Only this one. There was nothing before that.

Reading the Complaint though is interesting, almost fun. Basically, her major points are that she was paid, treated, etc by USTA not as good as white captains King, McEnroe and now Fernandez because of racial prejudice. There is very little of factual stuff there. Mostly it is emotional, being insulted by "tenor and tone", this kind of stuff..

For instance:

"20. In July 2007, the Fed Cup semifinals were to be played in Stowe, Vermont. Several days before the semifinal matches, Serena Williams advised Garrison that she would be unable to compete due to injury which subsequently sidelined her for weeks. When Garrison reported this to Jim Curley, the managing director of Tournament Operations at the USTA, he urged Garrison to pressure Serena Williams to play despite her injury, and strongly implied that she was not injured enough to sit the match out - a suggestion Garrison heard repeatedly from USTA officials when African-American players reported injuries, but never when white players reported injuries"

or

"31 During the conversation Garrison explained to Curley then , as she had on many occasions, that she had succeeded in recruiting the top players including the Williams sisters and Lindsay Davenport, but that injuries often prevented them from competing. Curley, like other USTA officials, questioned whether the Williams sisters were actually injured, and suggested that they - but not the white players - were unreliable and were using injuries as an excuse not to play. Garrison objected to this unfair and baseless criticism which she believed was based on racially stereotyped views of the Williams sisters as lazy and unreliable. In response to Garrison objections , Curley threatened that is Garrison didn't lead the US Fed Cup team to the finals in the next Fed Cup, the USTA would not consider her Captaincy successful"

"37 The reasons that the USTA asserted for not renewing Garrison's contract were a pretext for its unlawful motivation to replace her with a non-African-American Captain. Later through other sources within USTA, Garrison learned that the USTA wanted someone to put on a "public face" to the US Fed Cup, and concluded that Garrison did not have "the look" that it was trying to promote."

and so on..

I am not sure how she is going to prove all that.. But she requested a jury trial. In this time it might actually work.

Had she demonstrated any competence during her tenure, maybe she could find some sympathy among the jurors.

Unfortunately( or fortunately for most) she was inept as coach/captain.

Hopefuly this will be short and dismissed and will not drag the USTA in a long nasty fight where possibly Serena or Venus could be called by the Zina or the USTA as witnesses.

For that is the last thing the USTA needs right now.
They face a long drought after Venus aand Serena retirement, and they need to find promising propspects to take their palces

darrinbaker00
Feb 21st, 2009, 05:44 AM
Again people you're missing the big picture. Zina's only job was to get Venus and Serna to play Fed Cup. Winning would take care of itself. She could't get Venus and Serena to play except the year before the Olympics, so they could then play the Olympics. Don't expect to see Venus or Serena play Fed Cup again until 2011, the year before the London Olympics in 2012.
If I were Mary Joe Fernandez, I wouldn't pick them to play in 2011 unless they played in 2009 and 2010. She holds the sisters' Olympic fate in her hands, and she should use that power.

tennisbum79
Feb 21st, 2009, 05:53 AM
If I were Mary Joe Fernandez, I wouldn't pick them to play in 2011 unless they played in 2009 and 2010. She holds the sisters' Olympic fate in her hands, and she should use that power.
If MJF had realistic alternatives besides Venus and Serena, that could be a sensible position to take.
But given the state US women tennis right now, there will so much public pressure and criticism if she does not pick them.
She would have no choice but pick them.

Then again, things may change before the next 2012 Olympics

Bayo
Feb 21st, 2009, 05:57 AM

Didn't Venus play Fed Cup in 2005? And went to Russia right after she had just won Wimbledon, when a "spoiled" player might be inclined to take a break?

For two years (2005 and 2007) Venus more or less held the team together (in the case of 2005, while Lindsay was injured). In the SF in 2007, she played 2 singles matches AND doubles.

Unfortunately for the team, Venus Williams, as talented as she may be, cannot defeat Russia by herself.

Venus certainly does not deserve to be criticized if we're talking recent Fed Cup history.

spokenword73
Feb 21st, 2009, 06:14 AM
I hope Zina gets every dime she is suing for-and then some. The USTA and tennis in general are the most racist in sports, have been for years and every one knows it.

I absolutely believe they want to promote an Euroentric look for Fed cup, thus MJF. Do they really think MJF will win anything with the players she has??? Puleeze. The best shot MJF has is trying to convince Masha to play for the US team. :D:D

How dare anyone involved with US tennis diss Venus and Serena for any reason. The Williams sisters are American tennis. Hey, maybe Richard Williams will be called to testify. Talk about airing dirty laundry.:help:

arbalest
Feb 21st, 2009, 06:25 AM
I don't claim to know what has gone on here, but ZG does seem a bit quick on the trigger with charges of racism. I stress here, I'm not saying it doesn't exist - but I'm more inclined to take James Blake's description of racial bias is selection over someone who thinks shouting the word "Stupid" is an act of racism.

Here in this 1993 article she publicly charges Shriver with racism for saying this. http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1355/is_n10_v84/ai_14079188

Also I'm not sure how you can complain when you've been given the top job without a stellar coaching career. If someone else knows more, I'm open to persuasion.

tennisbum79
Feb 21st, 2009, 06:30 AM
I don't claim to know what has gone on here, but ZG does seem a bit quick on the trigger with charges of racism. I stress here, I'm not saying it doesn't exist - but I'm more inclined to take James Blake's description of racial bias is selection over someone who thinks shouting the word "Stupid" is an act of racism.

Here in this 1993 article she publicly charges Shriver with racism for saying this. http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1355/is_n10_v84/ai_14079188

Also I'm not sure how you can complain when you've been given the top job without a stellar coaching career. If someone else knows more, I'm open to persuasion.
Look, I think Zina was failure as a captain, and I do not support this lawsuit.

But one example of accusing Shriver of being racist does not make a pattern.
And you are not alone in building your argument on this lone example. Another poster did, and cited this same example.

In the article you posted, Shriver did apologize, not for being racist, but for hurting Zina's feeling in what they both agree was a misunderstanding.
You are not on solid ground on building an argument of pattern on this.

AcesHigh
Feb 21st, 2009, 08:11 AM
Well, I doubt there's anything to this, but if there is, I hope Zina gets her fair pay, nothing more, nothing less.

She was OK as a captain and did the best she could. We all know why she got the job. Problem was Venus and Serena's bodies(injury-wise) and schedules didnt cooperate.

40Love
Feb 21st, 2009, 12:54 PM
She got the job because she had been assisting BJK for years. Mary Jo has no experience coaching. It was not Zina's fault that America had no other top players than Venus, Serena, and Lindsay that could compete with the best. We don't know all of the details about the suit, just as we don't know all the details about Venus and Serena's injuries.

Yonexforever
Feb 21st, 2009, 01:04 PM

For instance:

or

and so on..

Here is the orginal thread
http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=366550&highlight=Zina+Garrison

chuvack
Feb 21st, 2009, 01:49 PM
I thought that now with Obama in the White House the American blacks were going to stop blaming the whites for their problems. Then again Garrison is from that older generation that was used to doing this. Garrison did a poor job as captain, she got fired. How is that discrimination?

tennisbum79
Feb 21st, 2009, 02:13 PM
I thought that now with Obama in the White House the American blacks were going to stop blaming the whites for their problems. Then again Garrison is from that older generation that was used to doing this. Garrison did a poor job as captain, she got fired. How is that discrimination?
That is such a complacent , disingenuous and lazy reasoning.

You are implying that all the past grievances were baseless.

Uranium
Feb 21st, 2009, 02:22 PM
I agree with tennisbum, she was not a good captain, not ONE final at all in her 5 years as captain. USTA looks for results, they don't care who is on your team, they just want good results.
I say bring back BJK:rocker2:
I do like MJF though:p

miffedmax
Feb 21st, 2009, 04:50 PM
Wasn't Zina tied into more than just Fed Cup? I thought she had some roles tied into promoting the USTA with minorities.

At the grassroots level, the USTA seems pretty diverse, but it's track record isn't that great. I don't know what went on so I can't comment on the merits of Garrison's suit except that it's unfortunate. There can't really be any winners here.

markdelaney
Feb 21st, 2009, 05:14 PM
Hey, maybe Richard Williams will be called to testify. Talk about airing dirty laundry.:help:

Let's hope Richard doesn't refer to the racists as "ugly white turkeys"

eugreene2
Feb 21st, 2009, 05:20 PM

This sounds good, authoritative & all that but I don't think that's a route one wants to take in this millenium in America. Feel me...

Svetlana.
Feb 21st, 2009, 05:28 PM

ouch :eek:

Svetlana.
Feb 21st, 2009, 05:45 PM
Let's all be honest here; Zina got the job as Fed Cup captain because she's black..

then I don't understand why Zina and some of ther fans are complaying about... Zina became a team captain because of her race, if she were white she would not get the job on the first place.

Tech1
Feb 21st, 2009, 06:01 PM
Tennis ace Zina Garrison: Fed Cup bouncing by USTA was racial

BY Wayne Coffey and Thomas Zambito

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

Friday, February 20th 2009, 11:51 PM
Former tennis star Zina Garrison (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Zina+Garrison) says she was dumped as captain of the Fed Cup team after objecting to racist comments about Venus and Serena Williams (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Serena+Williams) made by a top U.S. Tennis official.

Garrison made the claim in a race discrimination lawsuit filed Friday against the United States Tennis Association (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/United+States+Tennis+Association) in Manhattan Federal Court (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Manhattan+Supreme+Court). She also said she was paid less than her white counterpart, Patrick McEnroe (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Patrick+McEnroe), who led the men's team.

Garrison, who in 1990 became the first African-American woman to make the Wimbledon (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Wimbledon) finals, was captain of the U.S. Fed Cup team, which competes against other nations' best players, for five years. In Garrison's tenure, the U.S. (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/United+States) never made the Fed Cup final - the longest drought in the 45-year history of the competition.

"The USTA elected not to renew Garrison's Fed Cup captaincy based on her performance, and strongly denies any allegations of discrimination asserted by Ms. Garrison," said USTA spokesman Chris Widmaier (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Chris+Widmaier).

Garrison says Fed Cup Chairwoman Sara Fornaciari (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Sara+Fornaciari) once complained to her that Venus Williams (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Venus+Williams) hadn't called her back about playing in a tournament, saying: "Venus was like you and just like Serena; none of you people call back."

mckyle.
Feb 21st, 2009, 06:13 PM
I absolutely believe they want to promote an Euroentric look for Fed cup, thus MJF. Do they really think MJF will win anything with the players she has??? Puleeze. The best shot MJF has is trying to convince Masha to play for the US team. :D:D

Yes, Mary Joe FERNANDEZ will promote a European-looking US Fed Cup team :smash:

geoepee
Feb 21st, 2009, 06:40 PM
not to add or take away from the argument of Zina Garrison's accusations of racism or anything, but Fernandez is quite a popular Spanish last name,.. and Mary Jo, while born in the Doinican Republic is of Spanish and Cuban descent... so.
when did fernandez stop being european?

spartanfan
Feb 21st, 2009, 07:27 PM
MJF success ultimately rest with Venus and Serena. MJF cannot win Fed Cup without Venus and Serena. Who else does the USA really have left to play? There are no other big match players in the US, sure she may be able to patch a team of players together to win a round of play. But she can't win it all without the WS.

practiceboy
Feb 21st, 2009, 07:56 PM
Those of you who think that Garrison is suing because she was fired are misinformed. Read the lawsuit. She's claiming she was paid significantly less than Patrick McEnroe and Mary Joe Fernandez, people in comparable positions, and that her contract was less favorable than those of McEnroe and Fernandez.

It should not be hard to prove that a) she was paid less and b) that her contract had less favorable terms than those of McEnroe and Fernandez. The suit will then center around whether there was a justifiable reason for doing so NOT related to race.

I hate that so many of you are jumping to conclusions and making assumptions about a lawsuit that you HAVEN'T EVEN READ!!!!!!!!

killercars
Feb 21st, 2009, 07:57 PM
Does anyone have a link to the actual complaint?

darrinbaker00
Feb 22nd, 2009, 02:08 AM
Those of you who think that Garrison is suing because she was fired are misinformed. Read the lawsuit. She's claiming she was paid significantly less than Patrick McEnroe and Mary Joe Fernandez, people in comparable positions, and that her contract was less favorable than those of McEnroe and Fernandez.

It should not be hard to prove that a) she was paid less and b) that her contract had less favorable terms than those of McEnroe and Fernandez. The suit will then center around whether there was a justifiable reason for doing so NOT related to race.

I hate that so many of you are jumping to conclusions and making assumptions about a lawsuit that you HAVEN'T EVEN READ!!!!!!!!
Patrick McEnroe should have been paid significantly more than Zina Garrison, because he's had significantly better results than Zina Garrison. His team won the Davis Cup in 2007, and finished second to Spain in 2004; Zina never reached the final. McEnroe also got America's best players to fully commit to playing Davis Cup; before last year's semifinal against Spain, the same foursome of Andy Roddick, James Blake and the Bryan twins played in 10 straight ties, an American record. Garrison couldn't get the Williams sisters to play two ties in a row, much less 10. I think it will be quite easy for the USTA to prove that Garrison's dismissal, as well as the pay difference between Garrison and McEnroe, was based on merit.

ys
Feb 22nd, 2009, 02:11 AM
Does anyone have a link to the actual complaint?
I only have it printed.

CrossCourt~Rally
Feb 22nd, 2009, 02:13 AM
Mary Joe has done more for the team in 2 months than Zina did in 2 years.

Lets all move on... :bounce:

:wavey:

ys
Feb 22nd, 2009, 02:19 AM
I think it will be quite easy for the USTA to prove that Garrison's dismissal, as well as the pay difference between Garrison and McEnroe, was based on merit.

Comparison to McEnroe's is indeed ridiculous , especially given that the DC prize money are manyfold of those for Fed Cup. As simpll as that.. Also, when you accept your contract, it means you agree on your pay. As simple as that. If you think you are worth more, you are free to reject it.. Racial basis pay difference based cases work in case ofregular corps, when a compensation is reviewed on yearly basis and on merit. If you are of minority race and you can at least get some evidence that pay over time was cleary disproportional to merit, you stand a good chance to win the case. But here.. It's a contract, with probably no compensation review, and a merit factor is not there at all.

tennisbum79
Feb 22nd, 2009, 02:47 AM
Comparison to McEnroe's is indeed ridiculous , especially given that the DC prize money are manyfold of those for Fed Cup. As simpll as that.. Also, when you accept your contract, it means you agree on your pay. As simple as that. If you think you are worth more, you are free to reject it.. Racial basis pay difference based cases work in case ofregular corps, when a compensation is reviewed on yearly basis and on merit. If you are of minority race and you can at least get some evidence that pay over time was cleary disproportional to merit, you stand a good chance to win the case. But here.. It's a contract, with probably no compensation review, and a merit factor is not there at all.
Except for the last 8 years, the Civil Right Division of the DOJ, the departrment that reviews and persecutes ( if cases found to have merits) discimination on the job was ordered to suspend the pursuit of such case.

The head of the department even made a joke about just going through the motion of interviewing liberal lawyers with no intention of hiring them. Because they would want to pursuit cases of discrimination on the job.

CrossCourt~Rally
Feb 22nd, 2009, 03:08 AM
;)MJF success ultimately rest with Venus and Serena. MJF cannot win Fed Cup without Venus and Serena. Who else does the USA really have left to play? There are no other big match players in the US, sure she may be able to patch a team of players together to win a round of play. But she can't win it all without the WS.

NO it doesn't as TEAM USA won their first rd tie.

Big >>> :bigclap: to TEAM USA :bounce:

Now after all that, i really hope that MJF has made some sort of
agreement with the willams sisters for each of them to play in the SF and Finals. The competition gets tougher ;). We will need one sister a rd to make it through for the win :bounce:.

Uranium
Feb 22nd, 2009, 03:18 AM
;)

agreement with the willams sisters for each of them to play in the SF and Finals. The competition gets tougher ;). We will need one sister a rd to make it through for the win :bounce:.

Serena is not playing for 2 reasons.
1. She has only played Fed Cup 4 times/3 years and all the year before the Olympic year, so 2011 unless we make a final and then she might play.
2. Her schedule kinda won't allow her, she is doing Miami, Charleston, Marbella and then Rome and Madrid or something along those lines.
We need Venus, she is not playing from Charleston until Madrid that is the reason MJF should use in trying to get Venus to play, you have a lot of free time and this play in Prague most likely on clay will help her for RG.

CrossCourt~Rally
Feb 22nd, 2009, 03:25 AM
Serena is not playing for 2 reasons.
1. She has only played Fed Cup 4 times/3 years and all the year before the Olympic year, so 2011 unless we make a final and then she might play.
2. Her schedule kinda won't allow her, she is doing Miami, Charleston, Marbella and then Rome and Madrid or something along those lines.
We need Venus, she is not playing from Charleston until Madrid that is the reason MJF should use in trying to get Venus to play, you have a lot of free time and this play in Prague most likely on clay will help her for RG.

Nicely said, it boils down to... we need a williams in each rd to move on and win the Fed Cup. We clearly have the top 2 singles players in the world and the co #1 doubles player in the world. Couple those 3 with a healthy Miss Beth and we are by far the nation to beat :bounce:...:wavey:

Uranium
Feb 22nd, 2009, 03:30 AM
Liezel is a guarantee for the Fed Cup tie:lol:

Wannabeknowitall
Feb 22nd, 2009, 03:39 AM
Not to be rude but Zina's history here could be used against her.

Here's a women who has shown some degree of insecurity when dealing with herself for over 2 decades.
What's really the difference here?

She was given a chance just like everyone else and didn't produce.

The likliness of her winning this suit against the USTA when they've shown more than enough patience with her is nil.

CrossCourt~Rally
Feb 22nd, 2009, 03:42 AM
Liezel is a guarantee for the Fed Cup tie:lol:

Not to be rude, but she IS! You could team her with freaken Brie Whitehead and STILL win the doubles match! ;):angel:

miffedmax
Feb 22nd, 2009, 01:50 PM
not to add or take away from the argument of Zina Garrison's accusations of racism or anything, but Fernandez is quite a popular Spanish last name,.. and Mary Jo, while born in the Doinican Republic is of Spanish and Cuban descent... so.
when did fernandez stop being european?

Historically, there's been a lot of discrimination against people of Cuban and Dominican descent in the U.S.

It has nothing to do with the merits of Garrison's case, but names like "Fernandez" are usually not perceived as being European by most white Americans.

spartanfan
Feb 23rd, 2009, 04:11 PM
;)

That's the problem, the US team won't be playing against mickey mouse countries in the next round and without Venus and Serena the US doesn't stand much of a chance. Plus this is the year AFTER the Olympics, good luck to MJF getting them to even take her phone call. :lol:

raquel
Feb 23rd, 2009, 06:57 PM
Curley, like other USTA officials, questioned whether the Williams sisters were actually injured, and suggested that they - but not the white players - were unreliable and were using injuries as an excuse not to play. Garrison objected to this unfair and baseless criticism which she believed was based on racially stereotyped views of the Williams sisters as lazy and unreliable.
As many have said we don't know what went on behind the scenes, but when the USTA officials questioned whether Venus and Serena were injured, maybe they were just questioning it and not basing it on "racially stereotyped" views? Zina sadly didn't have a good record, unlike Arthur Ashe who had one of the best Davis Cup captain records. When Jimmy Connors didn't play the USTA didn't replace Ashe just to get McEnroe and Connors on the same team, they kept with the right captain. Also, phrases like "Garrison believed" and "Garrison concluded" probably won't win her this case. I think she'll need more evidence than assumptions.

CrossCourt~Rally
Feb 23rd, 2009, 07:19 PM
That's the problem, the US team won't be playing against mickey mouse countries in the next round and without Venus and Serena the US doesn't stand much of a chance. Plus this is the year AFTER the Olympics, good luck to MJF getting them to even take her phone call. :lol:

Yeah i know, but hopefully Vee or Ree will be feeling a little extra patriotic this year ;). I also think part of the problem in the past was that they were having serious problems with injurys. If they feel like their bodys can hold up ( i know Venus is 100% and Rena has a small problem with her ankle ) this year then i feel like MJF has a stronger chance of getting atleast one sister to play ;):bounce:. Time will only tell! :lol:...:wavey: