PDA

View Full Version : Sharapova's Return / Rank / Seed

tennisIlove09
Feb 20th, 2009, 06:58 PM
Will Sharapova qualify for a special injury protection ranking/seeding when she returns? It would be pretty tragic to finally have her in the mix again only to have Venus/Serena/Safina/Jankovic/Ivanovic in the 3rd or 4th Round of Miami/French Open.

Callum
Feb 20th, 2009, 07:07 PM
You don't get seeded by your protected ranking, it just allows you entry.

Ksenia.
Feb 20th, 2009, 07:07 PM
She definitely has a right to have a special ranking but who knows if she's gonna use it :shrug:

alwayshingis
Feb 20th, 2009, 07:09 PM
She shouldn't need it. She'll still be top 25 at IW if she does indeed come back then. She can still get into any tournament she wants.

Miss Amor
Feb 20th, 2009, 07:09 PM
Will Sharapova qualify for a special injury protection ranking/seeding when she returns? It would be pretty tragic to finally have her in the mix again only to have Venus/Serena/Safina/Jankovic/Ivanovic in the 3rd or 4th Round of Miami/French Open.

Why do you think she has got IW as her first tournament :devil:

CiarŠn
Feb 20th, 2009, 07:12 PM
I think the lower the rankk the more determined Maria will be :drool:

Dodoboy.
Feb 20th, 2009, 07:17 PM
Please draw Safina!

mboyle
Feb 20th, 2009, 07:33 PM

oh no not scary Dinara!

adner
Feb 20th, 2009, 07:38 PM
oh no not scary Dinara!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_GWJatwb-WlI/SERIT-j34sI/AAAAAAAADI8/MkqW7GQRx-s/s400/safina+fr+open.jpg
Boooo! :devil:

Mashafaaaaan
Feb 20th, 2009, 07:44 PM
Please draw Safina!

Because you really think Safina is a HUGE threat to Maria?:help:

Dodoboy.
Feb 20th, 2009, 07:45 PM
That's the whole point sweetie :hug:

jo„o.
Feb 20th, 2009, 07:56 PM
Who cares about her ranking, she's still Maria Sharapova. ;)

RenaSlam.
Feb 20th, 2009, 08:05 PM

As if she hasn't beaten her before. :rolleyes:

debby
Feb 20th, 2009, 08:05 PM

Please.

2004 Berlin Open - M.Sharapova 6-1 1-6 6-3
2005 Indian Wells - M.Sharapova 6-2 6-3
2005 Moscou - D.Safina 1-6 6-4 7-5
2006 French Open - D.Safina 7-5 2-6 7-5
2006 Los Angeles - M.Sharapova 6-2 6-4
2008 French Open - D.Safina 6-7 (6) 7-6 (5) 6-2

There is a tie between both Russian players, it obviously means that Safina is able to beat her. Moreover she keeps fighting against Maria, please don't tell me Maria should have won those three matchs because the winner has won, period. If not, we can also say that Maria does not deserve Wimbledon 2004 because Davenport should have won this semi-final... :help:

Just logic there.

adner
Feb 20th, 2009, 08:11 PM
There is a tie between both Russian players, it obviously means that Safina is able to beat her. Moreover she keeps fighting against Maria, please don't tell me Maria should have won those three matchs because the winner has won, period. If not, we can also say that Maria does not deserve Wimbledon 2004 because Davenport should have won this semi-final... :help:

Just logic there.

Don't forget that two of these wins were on clay and Sharapova is quite awful on clay, especially the red one.

Mashafaaaaan
Feb 20th, 2009, 08:15 PM
As if she hasn't beaten her before. :rolleyes:

Just logic there.

Not even comparable. Maria won 6/1 in the last set against Davenport, and Davenport never had sets point or match points or even a HUGE lead, just one break.
Maria clearly dominate all meetings against Safina, even on clay, so I say it again, Safina is not a HUGE problem, it's just Maria sometimes needs:smash::smash::smash: (h2h could have been 6-0 for Maria)

mckyle.
Feb 20th, 2009, 08:35 PM

As if Maria's going to be back for either of those tournaments :sobbing:

debby
Feb 20th, 2009, 08:43 PM

She will be back. :)

spartanfan
Feb 20th, 2009, 09:22 PM
Please.

Just logic there.
What an interesting head to head.

spartanfan
Feb 20th, 2009, 09:23 PM
I think she'll play IW and pull out of Miami. I don't think she'll want to push her should so much. But if she pulls out of IW then I don't think she'll play Miami either.

frenchie
Feb 20th, 2009, 09:29 PM

they are 3/3 in their head to head, Safina winning 3 of the last 4 so YES Dinara is a huge threat to Maria;)

Mashafaaaaan
Feb 20th, 2009, 09:46 PM
they are 3/3 in their head to head, Safina winning 3 of the last 4 so YES Dinara is a huge threat to Maria;)

If you think so, fine.

Maria Croft
Feb 20th, 2009, 10:10 PM
Please.

Just logic there.

Actually, without trying to sound like a typical hysterical defending fan, all of Maria's losses against Safina have been pretty much handed to Safina gift wrapped.

Sharapova narrowly escaped defeat against ALG because of retirement in the previous round of Moscow, was up 6-1 4-3 with a break before she completely lost her game going down 4-6 1-5, fighting back only to lose her head again in the last two games.

Was up 5-1 in their first Roland Garros meeting and completely lost her mind, couldn't find the court anymore, and she had match point against Safina in their last meeting.

All 3 of her losses against Safina I count as some of her worst, not because they were against Safina, but because of the way she played, or I should say, the way she lost.

goldlion
Feb 20th, 2009, 10:55 PM
I think she'll play IW and pull out of Miami. I don't think she'll want to push her should so much. But if she pulls out of IW then I don't think she'll play Miami either.

It depends on how she does in Indian Wells. If she goes well, then she might be willing to be fined to skip Miami, considering it's a mandatory event this year.

goldenlox
Mar 2nd, 2009, 10:55 PM
It looks like Sharapova will be playing IW. So she has plenty of time to get in the mix for YE #1.
How many points does Jankovic have now?

VeeReeDavJCap81
Mar 2nd, 2009, 11:07 PM
I really miss Sharapova, last night I was watching the '06 US Open final taking apart Henin :hearts:

Craig.
Mar 2nd, 2009, 11:14 PM
^Don't worry, it's now almost certain that she'll be back next week. :D

Miss Amor
Mar 2nd, 2009, 11:17 PM
I really miss Sharapova, last night I was watching the '06 US Open final taking apart Henin :hearts:

I love that match!

madmax
Mar 2nd, 2009, 11:22 PM
can't wait for Masha return...WTA is sooo boring without her, she is gonna ignite all this crapfest, which was going on for half a year

Volcana
Mar 2nd, 2009, 11:28 PM
I actually think there's a pretty good chance Sharapova hits RG and Wimbledon unseeded. Or rather, unseeded based solely on her rank. Remember, she has points to defend.

420 IW
550 AI
220 Charleston
390 Rome
280 RG

That's 372 points per tournament. You know how many player on the tour currently average that? Five. And it's front-loaded too. Almost a thousand points in IW and AI. I don't see her defending all that.

Now, let's lok at slam seeding. The lowest you can be ranked and HOPE to get seeded in a slam is #35. Injuries MIGHT take out three higher ranked players.

#35 is Hantuchova 1522

Sharapova currently has 2100 points. So she'd have to lose 600, relavtively speaking, to go into RG unseeded. Can that happen? Remember what I wrote about 'front-loaded'? She made the IW final last year, and won Amelia Island. Early losses at those two events eat up most of those 600 points. Miami, if she plays, recoups some, but then she's onto her worst suface, clay. Where she actually did well last year, but the long points ae going to test that shoulder. SHe could play WELL, on clay, and still drop to the mid-30's in ranking.

espntennis
Mar 3rd, 2009, 12:12 AM
I actually think there's a pretty good chance Sharapova hits RG and Wimbledon unseeded. Or rather, unseeded based solely on her rank. Remember, she has points to defend.

420 IW
550 AI
220 Charleston
390 Rome
280 RG

That's 372 points per tournament. You know how many player on the tour currently average that? Five. And it's front-loaded too. Almost a thousand points in IW and AI. I don't see her defending all that.

Now, let's lok at slam seeding. The lowest you can be ranked and HOPE to get seeded in a slam is #35. Injuries MIGHT take out three higher ranked players.

#35 is Hantuchova 1522

Sharapova currently has 2100 points. So she'd have to lose 600, relavtively speaking, to go into RG unseeded. Can that happen? Remember what I wrote about 'front-loaded'? She made the IW final last year, and won Amelia Island. Early losses at those two events eat up most of those 600 points. Miami, if she plays, recoups some, but then she's onto her worst suface, clay. Where she actually did well last year, but the long points ae going to test that shoulder. SHe could play WELL, on clay, and still drop to the mid-30's in ranking.

She made IW semi's last year before losing to Kuzzie.

Hell if she comes back strong in her first two tournaments (IW Miami) she should be good.

Her goal should be to avoid a ranking b/w 29-32 to avoid the big 4.

Eduardo Oliveira
Mar 3rd, 2009, 12:28 AM
MARIA :hearts:
Go MARIA!!!

Volcana
Mar 3rd, 2009, 12:46 AM
Hell if she comes back strong in her first two tournaments (IW Miami) she should be good.That's a big 'if'.

Especially considering she's defending so many points.

Wiggly
Mar 3rd, 2009, 01:10 AM
It looks like Sharapova will be playing IW. So she has plenty of time to get in the mix for YE #1.
How many points does Jankovic have now?

She missed an hard court Slam.
Her seeding will be low fo the French.

No way she's #1.

Lucas_Arg
Mar 3rd, 2009, 01:12 AM
She made IW semi's last year before losing to Kuzzie.

Hell if she comes back strong in her first two tournaments (IW Miami) she should be good.

She only has to avoid Serena on hardcourts, and maybe vintage Venus.

AnnaK_4ever
Mar 3rd, 2009, 01:42 AM

it's 25-32 vs 1-8 in 3R of GS.

tennnisfannn
Mar 3rd, 2009, 01:53 AM
Don't forget that two of these wins were on clay and Sharapova is quite awful on clay, especially the red one.
The safina pre berlin 08 is not the same one she will play in 09 (if of course she gets out of her slump)

Jarl_02
Mar 3rd, 2009, 02:01 AM
I think the beggining can get a little tough and also through the clay season, but in the american hardcourts and european indoor season she can really play solid, anyway I just wanna ser her play again

Lucas_Arg
Mar 3rd, 2009, 02:07 AM
She should start the clay season with Stuttgart.

Jarl_02
Mar 3rd, 2009, 02:14 AM
She should start the clay season with Stuttgart.

She should play as much as her shoulder allows her, I rather think she should start en green clay

Lucas_Arg
Mar 3rd, 2009, 02:47 AM
If she plays IW and Miami she should rest and go straight to Europe.

TennisViewer531
Mar 3rd, 2009, 05:15 AM
Let's wish Maria Sharapova good luck on her comeback... ;)

espntennis
Mar 3rd, 2009, 05:19 AM
That's a big 'if'.

Especially considering she's defending so many points.

and fair enough with the "if"

But we must consider how poorly the quality has been this season. The top 2 players this year will not be in IW(Venus, Serena) so Maria should be good to do a bit of damage. Dementieva could prove difficult but really it'll all just be about Maria's confidence and level of play.

It'll be nice to see her back on court.

zxcVbnm88
Mar 3rd, 2009, 05:30 AM
If she plays IW and Miami she should rest and go straight to Europe.

She should just play IW,Miami,Madrid and FO

WowWow
Mar 3rd, 2009, 06:35 AM
Come back Maria.Your children need you!

s_j
Mar 3rd, 2009, 10:43 AM
Here's something a bit more positive concerning Maria's participation of IW. Apparently, she says she's getting on a plane to LA this Saturday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysLbnC7E2Lg

goldenlox
Mar 3rd, 2009, 11:14 AM
If Maria was healthy this year, she would have probably only played 2 tournaments.
She pulled out of Dubai last year, probably would not have played Paris and Dubai back to back.
So she missed the AO and Paris.
When Henin took her name off the rankings, Maria was #1 in points going into the FO, even though she had bursitis in 2007 and lost to Radwanska in round 3 of the USO and didn't win a match after that until the YEC. But still had the most points over 12 months after Henin going into the FO.

So if she plays well, she's in the YE #1 mix for 2009

faboozadoo15
Mar 3rd, 2009, 11:16 AM
Am I missing something in that video?
There's nothing about a flight. And this woman doesn't stop bitching about 60 deg.F temperatures in sunny weather. :haha:

In The Zone
Mar 3rd, 2009, 11:16 AM
If Maria was healthy this year, she would have probably only played 2 tournaments.
She pulled out of Dubai last year, probably would not have played Paris and Dubai back to back.
So she missed the AO and Paris.
When Henin took her name off the rankings, Maria was #1 in points going into the FO, even though she had bursitis in 2007 and lost to Radwanska in round 3 of the USO and didn't win a match after that until the YEC. But still had the most points over 12 months after Henin going into the FO.

So if she plays well, she's in the YE #1 mix for 2009

As Michelle on Full House would say, NO WAY JOSE.

goldenlox
Mar 3rd, 2009, 11:19 AM
And she was #1 without playing Miami either. So almost no points from when she withdrew against Nadia in LA until the YEC, no points from Miami and was still #1 going into the 2008 FO

faboozadoo15
Mar 3rd, 2009, 11:20 AM
As Michelle on Full House would say, NO WAY JOSE.

Why not? If Serena doesn't maintain her AO form, which she hasn't after winning it for a long time, Dementieva is #2 in the race. Venus only reached RD2 at the AO, Sharapova didn't do much worse by staying home...

s_j
Mar 3rd, 2009, 11:20 AM
Am I missing something in that video?
There's nothing about a flight. And this woman doesn't stop bitching about 60 deg.F temperatures in sunny weather. :haha:

:lol: I know! Try living in the UK, love! Haha. If you read the comments beneath it says that she spoke to her after the filming.

faboozadoo15
Mar 3rd, 2009, 11:23 AM
:lol: I know! Try living in the UK, love! Haha. If you read the comments beneath it says that she spoke to her after the filming.

:haha: How am I to believe someone who can't keep her hand still in 60 deg.F weather?
She's supposedly from Poland. Looked like a comparable summer day....

goldenlox
Mar 3rd, 2009, 11:26 AM
Why not? If Serena doesn't maintain her AO form, which she hasn't after winning it for a long time, Dementieva is #2 in the race. Venus only reached RD2 at the AO, Sharapova didn't do much worse by staying home...Lena might be #1 in the race after IW and after the FO.
Why can't Maria get in the race?
Obviously, she has to play well and stay healthy

The Dawntreader
Mar 3rd, 2009, 11:30 AM
Makes me laugh how some posters think Maria is going to be back on tour and picking up where she left off. She's just had shoulder surgery, it's hardly going to just be a case of turning up and winning titles:rolleyes:

It's going to take time. IMO, i doubt she'll be back at IW or Miami :shrug:

Mashafaaaaan
Mar 3rd, 2009, 11:34 AM
Makes me laugh how some posters think Maria is going to be back on tour and picking up where she left off. She's just had shoulder surgery, it's hardly going to just be a case of turning up and winning titles:rolleyes:

She had a shoulder surgery in October :lol::lol: and we can think she'll be back at a good level, can't we?:eek:

Rumkin
Mar 3rd, 2009, 11:36 AM

She did had surgery yes, but it was a minor one...she was in and out the hospital in one day. But I agree it probably is going to take more time before she will get her form back. But I'm really positive about her playing soon, she looked pretty healthy during practice. I'm really hoping she will play IW.

:haha: How am I to believe someone who can't keep her hand still in 60 deg.F weather?
She's supposedly from Poland. Looked like a comparable summer day....

She commented that on her video, and maria also gave her cookies. I bet they were shaped as dolce :rolleyes: :lol:

BTW she's supposedly a mother of a juniorplayer at Bolletieri, she has acces to the practice courts and such. If it wasn't for her vids we wouldn't even know if maria was training or not :cool:

The Dawntreader
Mar 3rd, 2009, 11:39 AM
She had a shoulder surgery in October :lol::lol: and we can think she'll be back at a good level, can't we?:eek:

Why the :lol:?

It was hardly a surgery she had 2 years ago. Shoulder surgery however minor can be rough. Just look at Capriati.

Now, i dont think her case is as severe as Jen's was, but i think she has to be careful. She has to get the confidence back hitting serves IMO, before she can fully contemplate getting back on tour. No point turning up on status alone :shrug:

Mashafaaaaan
Mar 3rd, 2009, 11:45 AM
Why the :lol:?

It was hardly a surgery she had 2 years ago. Shoulder surgery however minor can be rough. Just look at Capriati.

Now, i dont think her case is as severe as Jen's was, but i think she has to be careful. She has to get the confidence back hitting serves IMO, before she can fully contemplate getting back on tour. No point turning up on status alone :shrug:

Please, Maria herself, said she won't rush her back, if she is planning to play IW, I think it's because she feels healthy. And like Rumkin said, she looks pretty healthy during her practice.

The Dawntreader
Mar 3rd, 2009, 11:47 AM
Please, Maria herself, said she won't rush her back, if she is planning to play IW, I think it's because she feels healthy. And like Rumkin said, she looks pretty healthy during her practice.

Well i wish her the best then:)

CiarŠn
Mar 3rd, 2009, 11:49 AM
Go Maria! :woohoo:

watchdogfish
Mar 3rd, 2009, 11:53 AM
She hasn't played a competitive match since August so she's going to be very rusty. Plus for the past few years she's been at her most vulnerable in the early rounds of majors and big events like IW and Miami. She's going to need to find her confidence in her serve.

It'll be great to see Maria back on court and I think if she can win a few matches then it'll be a successful tournament. She's very very capable of winning the tournament, but I don't think anyone should be expecting too much from her.

Libertango
Mar 3rd, 2009, 12:03 PM
Who cares about her ranking, she's still Maria Sharapova. ;)
This pretty much sums it up.

Volcana
Mar 23rd, 2009, 05:43 AM
She did had surgery yes, but it was a minor one...she was in and out the hospital in one day.Rotator cuff surgery is an out-patience procedure. They don't keep you overnight. But the standard (ie, NOT putting insane stress on the shoulder) recovery period is six months. And you aren't back to pre-surgery in six months. That just means you're safe to go about normal life without injury. Normal life as in cooking and reading, not hitting hundred mph serves.

Vlover
Mar 23rd, 2009, 02:12 PM
Rotator cuff surgery is an out-patience procedure. They don't keep you overnight. But the standard (ie, NOT putting insane stress on the shoulder) recovery period is six months. And you aren't back to pre-surgery in six months. That just means you're safe to go about normal life without injury. Normal life as in cooking and reading, not hitting hundred mph serves.
I'll admit I'm not privy to previous knowledge on these injuries. Based on what you are saying if it is standard procedures then Maria should not have been practicing before April. Based on the press release that she is going back to rehab in AZ could be an indication that she actually tried to come back too soon. It is possible the doubles try out may have physically hurt more than the are willing to say. Anyway we just have to wait and see how this turn out.