PDA

View Full Version : Dellacqua to undergo shoulder surgery

aussie_fan
Feb 20th, 2009, 12:13 AM
Hope this is able to fix everything and she can get back to her best

Dellacqua to undergo shoulder surgery

February 20, 2009 Australia's No.2 ranked woman Casey Dellacqua will undergo shoulder surgery on Monday and is unlikely to return to competitive tennis until mid-2009.

Dellacqua, 24, has battled chronic shoulder pain since Wimbledon last year, forcing her to remodel her service action.

The injury contributed to her opening-round loss to Daniela Hantuchova at last month's Australian Open and the problems continued in Dubai this week.

The left-hander from WA will travel to Melbourne for a shoulder arthroscopy next week by leading surgeon Greg Hoy.

"I wanted to try everything I could before I underwent surgery," Dellacqua said.

“I have had significant pain in my shoulder since midway through last year and I have lost a lot of the power in my arm as a result.

"I am obviously disappointed that the different treatment options I have tried in an effort to avoid surgery over the last six months have not worked but the most important thing now is to rectify the problem and to be pain free."

Dellacqua is currently ranked world No.81.

The only other Australia women in the top 100 are Samantha Stosur (world no.42) and Jelena Dokic (world no.84).

The injury will rule Dellacqua out of the Fed Cup clash against Switzerland in April and the French Open.

Her Wimbledon campaign is also in doubt.

AAP

Source: http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,25081863-23216,00.html

simonsaystennis
Feb 20th, 2009, 12:16 AM
Poor Casey! I am glad that she is getting this done now though, rather than waste any more time. Hopefully everything will go well and that she has a speedy recovery. :D

Daniel K
Feb 20th, 2009, 12:26 AM
Good decision. Yeah hope this heals everything and she can come back and play the tennis she's capable of.

Mikey.
Feb 20th, 2009, 12:47 AM
Oh dear. :unsure: I thought she already had surgery. :unsure:

Oh well. I hope she gets well soon. :hug:

Mattographer
Feb 20th, 2009, 01:18 AM
Good thing that Jelena's back in time for Fed Cup otherwise we're doomed :o

hellas719
Feb 20th, 2009, 01:27 AM
Casey, get well soon:hug:

Lindsayfan32
Feb 20th, 2009, 03:39 AM
I would rather see Casey have the surgery now then go through the motions for the rest the year. Hope it goes well and we get to see Casey getting back to her best before the end of the year. :)

TennisViewer531
Feb 20th, 2009, 03:47 AM
Get well soon Casey! :)

Pasta-Na
Feb 20th, 2009, 03:48 AM
get well soon, go for a shot. :hug:

Привет
Feb 20th, 2009, 03:52 AM
I hope she can recover quickly and fully, but she needs this done, so there's no time like the present!

OZTENNIS
Feb 20th, 2009, 04:01 AM
:sad:
She was in obvious discomfort during Australian summer and obviously things are not going well judging by her results :hug:

Fingers crossed that surgery will fix the problem and she can get back on court soon, but not too rushed (ala Molik)
She will slip out of top 100 now :sad:
Oh well, health before tennis ;)

Keadz
Feb 20th, 2009, 04:09 AM
#3 Australian player.

But good for her, she is going to take a big dip in the rankings though and will need to really put in some effort when she comes back and is fully recovered.
Sounds like she will lose 4th round Indian Wells, 3rd Round the French Open and 3rd Round of Wimbledon points.

:(

Golovinjured.
Feb 20th, 2009, 04:32 AM
This should have happened after Wimbledon last year. :sobbing:

Now she just needs to get rid of Pratt and she'll be a successful tennis player again.

Harvs
Feb 20th, 2009, 04:33 AM
she should have done this LONG ago...

OZTENNIS
Feb 20th, 2009, 04:36 AM
This should have happened after Wimbledon last year. :sobbing:

Now she just needs to get rid of Pratt and she'll be a successful tennis player again.
Agree with the first part 100% :yeah:
Second sentence, hmmmm :lol: Disagree 100% :p

pollison
Feb 20th, 2009, 04:36 AM
get better casey

Josh.
Feb 20th, 2009, 04:40 AM
About time she had the surgery. Will she gain a protected ranking?

Karsten Braasch
Feb 20th, 2009, 04:43 AM
Maybe she will stop eating the twinkies. Should help.

Golovinjured.
Feb 20th, 2009, 05:32 AM
Maybe she will stop eating the twinkies. Should help.

You are such an idiot. :rolleyes: We don't have twinkies in Australia.

Szczecin
Feb 20th, 2009, 06:24 AM
Typical Australian tennis Player...

Gets to the peak of their form then picks up some injury or 1 in a million virus to completely stuff them up...

Get well Casey...

So Disrespectful
Feb 20th, 2009, 07:26 AM
Well it was the last measure. I wish her a speedy recovery. :sad:

Vincey!
Feb 20th, 2009, 08:58 AM
Awww casey :sad:..I hope everything will be alright :hug:

SM
Feb 20th, 2009, 12:54 PM
hope she comes back and is ready to kick arse and take some names!