PDA

View Full Version : Serena Stalker Arrested....AGAIN

AjdeNate!
Aug 31st, 2002, 10:39 PM
Alleged stalker of Serena Williams arrested at U.S. Open
By LARRY McSHANE
Associated Press Writer
August 31, 2002

NEW YORK (AP) -- Just weeks after his arrest for scuffling with police at Wimbledon, a German man was arrested again Saturday at the U.S. Open and charged with stalking top-seeded player Serena Williams.

Albrecht Stromeyer, 34, was taken into custody after a police officer spotted him watching Williams through a fence at the U.S. Tennis Center, said police spokesman Detective Louis Camacho.

Stromeyer, who lives with his parents in Frankfurt, was charged with stalking the tennis star, Camacho said. Authorities said he had been following Williams around the world since June 2001.

According to Camacho, Officer Michael Esposito recognized Stromeyer on Friday afternoon from a photo given to police by Williams' manager. Esposito took the suspect to the U.S. Tennis Association security officer, where Stromeyer's identity was confirmed.

He was arrested and charged shortly after midnight.

While Stromeyer was in custody Friday, Serena Williams moved into the fourth round of the Open by easily defeating No. 26 Nathalie Dechy 6-1, 6-1.

Williams practiced on Saturday morning, but apparently left the grounds before Stromeyer's arrest became public. She was not scheduled to play Saturday.

Stromeyer has followed Williams to tournaments in Germany, Italy, Britain and France, authorities said. He was arrested July 3 outside the gates of Wimbledon after an altercation with police.

After his arrest, Stromeyer told police, ``I don't hate (Serena Williams). I love her. I will never hurt her.''

During the Italian Open in May, police stopped Stromeyer and ordered him out of the country after receiving word of the suspect's history of allegedly harassing Williams.

Two months earlier, Stromeyer walked into an Arizona hotel-resort where Williams was playing and asked to see her. When he was turned down, Stromeyer began undressing in front of the desk clerk.

He was charged with disorderly conduct and indecent exposure.

Williams' mother, Oracene, has also reported seeing Stromeyer at a Berlin tournament in May and at the French Open in June.

Becool
Aug 31st, 2002, 10:43 PM
Poor Serena :sad:

It seems the cat suit outfit called more the attention of this guy :o

He's persistent :o

AjdeNate!
Aug 31st, 2002, 10:44 PM
He's a sick freak who needs to leave her the hell alone!

Sophie
Aug 31st, 2002, 10:45 PM
Well, at least the security seems to be working. It would totally creep me out to know someone like this was "in love" with me. What is he doing still free, and how did he get into the US?

iluvtrent
Aug 31st, 2002, 11:05 PM
I think American authorities will deal with The Stalker more harshly, and perhaps keep him in custody until after the Open. Or at least I pray they do. :confused:

CC
Aug 31st, 2002, 11:19 PM
How annoying.

bmomomax
Aug 31st, 2002, 11:30 PM
robyn~

I'd love to agree, except, why was he released after undressing at the front desk in Arizona? That seems worthy of a lock up and psyche evaluation.

How long was that guy harassing Hingis before he was tried and convicted? 3 years? Maybe somebody has a stop watch on Stromeyer.

And Becool - that comment about Serena's outfit was totally off base. It doesn't matter what you're wearing if you have a nutcase on your trail.

JonBcn
Aug 31st, 2002, 11:34 PM
Where does he get all his money? I wish I could afford to the follow the tennis tour stalking people!

Becool
Aug 31st, 2002, 11:40 PM
bmomomax... if you don't understand joke then don't even try to comment it

veryborednow
Aug 31st, 2002, 11:48 PM
just gotta wait to see which poster goes missing for a few days ;)

seriously though..... :eek: ugh

midora
Aug 31st, 2002, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by JonBcn
Where does he get all his money? I wish I could afford to the follow the tennis tour stalking people!

According to one account I read, his parents are wealthy. I certainly hope they are not funding his misadventures around the world. Also his mom is a shrink.:eek:

venusfan
Sep 1st, 2002, 12:04 AM
I was also wondering how the hell he got all the money to be traveling so much. Although I like the Williams sisters, I would never follow them around or anything that would be called stalking. I think they should ban this freak from traveling and taking away his passport..

iluvtrent
Sep 1st, 2002, 12:19 AM
I agree the authorities don't take stalking nearly seriously enough. Because of the heightened security awareness in NYC due to 9/11, I doubt if this wack job sees the light of day until after Serena is long gone. I wonder if this guy got wind of the fact that Venus said her dad would "probably take him to lunch" if he met him?

Amanda
Sep 1st, 2002, 05:40 AM
Too bad nothing happens to a pervert stalker until he does something "really bad" like actually killing someone. The guy is an obviously not stable...stalking a person around the world. He should be locked up.

Aylafr
Sep 1st, 2002, 11:06 AM
But there are a lot of unstable people ! And a lot of the girls out there has had their stalker ! Steffi had a few !

You're right. But you can not lock someone under the pretext he MIGHT do something, that's the point. Because unless he does it really, you can not be sure he will ! So .... all they can do is just doing their best keeping him away. That's justice, that's law.

Something has to be wrong anyhow if he's 34 and still living with his parents. He can be making a lot of money and saving everyhting. Imagine even yourself, earning for example $40000 a year, and saving everything during 10 years what YOU, today, pay for rent, electricity, water, heating, food, bills ..... believe me, you will have in the end a great deal of money !!!!! Well, most of you may be too young to have a job and an appartment, but just pay a look to what your parents pay, and imagine you've got a decnt job and you stay with them .... you think I'm exagerating ? I don't think so. "Children" stay longer and longer with mum and pa nowadays and most of the because of money ...

So maybe his parents should have him followed by a doctor/shrink. But since he's an "adult", he has to be willing to go and he has to be conscious something is wrong. Obviously he's not. Like the guy in England who abducted and raped those little girls.

Williams Rulez
Sep 1st, 2002, 12:19 PM
Well, at least this proves that the security is working... ;)

Poor Serena... no wonder she didn't wear that catsuit anymore...

Monica_Rules
Sep 1st, 2002, 12:23 PM
God this guy sounds mad

Two months earlier, Stromeyer walked into an Arizona hotel-resort where Williams was playing and asked to see her. When he was turned down, Stromeyer began undressing in front of the desk clerk.

Who the hell would do this?

Bright Red
Sep 1st, 2002, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Aylafr
Imagine even yourself, earning for example $40000 a year, and saving everything during 10 years what YOU, today, pay for rent, electricity, water, heating, food, bills ..... believe me, you will have in the end a great deal of money !!!!!

That's so true. It costs more than people realize just to have a place to stay and food to eat. This is also why many people who make $40K and live in their own homes are just barely scraping by paycheck to paycheck each month.

At any rate, I'm glad they locked him up and hope they'll keep him detained for the duration of the Open. At the same time, I worry about what this means for me. I've attended several of Venus' tournaments in the US, and I even went to the French Open this year. I've stood face to face with Venus twice (in passing) and have spoken to her once. At the French Open this year, I noticed that she gave me this look as if she slightly recognized me, and she sort of froze in place, and then kept walking. I hope she doesn't think I'm stalking her -- especially since I'm planning to go to the AUS Open this year. I'll just have to keep my distance.

iluvtrent
Sep 1st, 2002, 05:56 PM
Bright Red-Stalking involves a alot more than attending some tournaments (but aren't you lucky) Are you sending her gifts and letters or showing up at her hotel looking for her?

junkartist
Sep 1st, 2002, 06:16 PM
Anyone knows what this guy looks like? I'm dead curious!

CC
Sep 1st, 2002, 07:04 PM
I think that's him in the corner:

http://www.venusserenafans.com/Forums/uploads/nydailynewsserenastalker.jpg

http://nydailynews-*****.nandomedia.com/ips_rich_content/956-serenaperp.JPG

Nab suspect stalking Serena

Pursued star around world to Open, officials say

By PATRICE O'SHAUGHNESSY
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Serena Williams

Serena stalker Albrecht Stromeyer

A German man who has followed Serena Williams around the world was charged with stalking yesterday after a sharp-eyed cop spotted him outside the U.S. Open, watching the tennis star practice.

Albrecht Stromeyer, 34, of Frankfurt, who says he's in love with the world's top female player, was arraigned last night in Queens Criminal Court on three misdemeanor counts of stalking.

The bedraggled suspect admitted he was following Williams and intended, "courage permitting, to profess his love to her," Assistant Queens District Attorney Christine Vallone said.

Judge Lenore Gerald ordered Stromeyer held on $3,000 bail and barred him from contacting Williams or coming near her. He faces a maximum of a year in jail if convicted.

Queens District Attorney Richard Brown said Stromeyer's stalking has "caused Ms. Williams to fear for her safety."

Stromeyer, who comes from an affluent family, had been warned by the U.S. Tennis Association to stay away from the Open in Flushing Meadows-Corona Park. The organization had given his photo to the NYPD security detail.

On Friday afternoon, Officer Michael Esposito spotted Stromeyer a disheveled-looking man with long brown hair and a scruffy beard watching Williams from about 40 feet away through a chain-link fence as she warmed up for her match with Nathalie Dechy of France.

Stromeyer did not say anything to Williams, and Williams was not aware of his presence, said Capt. Ted Lotti of the Queens DA's squad.

Serena's biggest fan

Esposito took Stromeyer to the USTA security office, where the German's identity was confirmed. He was arrested and charged shortly after midnight, police said.

During questioning, Stromeyer described himself as a big fan of Williams and said, "She's the best player ever," adding that he "has feelings for her," Lotti said.

At the arraignment, Vallone said Stromeyer posed a "serious threat" to Williams, but defense lawyer Gerald Savage dismissed that claim.

"This is hocuspocus for the tabloids," he said. "The last time I read the First Amendment, it allowed freedom of mobility. The police acted precipitously."

Williams, who is the top seed at the Open, is this year's Wimbledon and French Open champion. Her sister Venus, who won the U.S. Open the past two years, is seeded second.

The incident was the latest in Stromeyer's alleged series of bizarre displays of infatuation with Serena Williams, which began exactly a year ago today. He sent e-mails and made phone calls to Williams' manager referring to her physical attributes and expressing his love, law enforcement sources said.

At least a dozen times, Stromeyer has shown up at Williams' hotel or at tournaments and shouted "I love you" in English and in German, authorities said.

Started in Belgium

Stromeyer first accosted the glamorous 20-year-old athlete on Feb. 11, when she was playing in a tournament in Antwerp, Belgium. He had a hotel room across the hall from her and approached her trainer, repeatedly requesting to see Williams, sources said.

Later that month, he registered at the same hotel where Williams was staying during a tournament in Scottsdale, Ariz., and left numerous messages and packages for her at the concierge desk. He was arrested March 3 after he stripped off his clothes at the hotel's front desk and demanded to see her.

At a tournament in Berlin in May, he stood near the court, shouted out his love and was arrested. Also in May, Stromeyer was busted in Rome in the lobby of Williams' hotel, and was a fixture outside a Paris hotel where Williams was staying.

In July, he was arrested in London after he was seen skulking about Wimbledon and outside a house where Williams was staying.

Sources said Stromeyer's mother is a psychiatrist.

"He was very calm, very polite. We knew he flew up from Washington on Thursday. He said he slept in Central Park that night," Lotti said.

Stromeyer had a backpack full of clothes and $207 in his pocket, and he told cops he was unemployed, Lotti said.

disposablehero
Sep 1st, 2002, 07:07 PM
His ass is going to be in a sling this time.

CC
Sep 1st, 2002, 07:10 PM
Here's the one from the NY Post today.

http://www.nypost.com/images/front090102.gif

Aylafr
Sep 1st, 2002, 09:07 PM
Well, unemployed ? This ruins my theory. Unless he once had a job, or he comes from a very wealthy family (what does affluent means anyway)

And hell of this, how come these stalkers always manage to know in which hotel players go !!!!

CC
Sep 1st, 2002, 10:19 PM
So what is Richard suggesting? That Serena take him out before he gets to her? What can she really do but make sure her security is alert, and that they keep her informed?

junkartist
Sep 2nd, 2002, 12:09 AM
Thanks for the pic CC...felt the chill run up my spine lookikng at it....:eek: :mad: bleech...thank goodness Serena won't let it bother her!

Iconoclast
Sep 2nd, 2002, 12:34 AM
Obviously deluded. Not just because of his love-sick stalking, but because he chose to stalk in the United States of all places. He's asking to be put behind bars. America does not take lightly to stalking.

Look at the Hingis stalker - Dubravko. Another deranged man, but the punishment he received was absurd. Two years in prison for being obnoxious. Granted, highly obnoxious.