PDA

View Full Version : Dubai vs. Indian Wells

spartanfan
Feb 19th, 2009, 08:07 PM
So what must the tournament organizers at IW be thinking after Dubai managed to have 9 of the top 10 ten women play at their tournament and have some excellent match up this week: FO Champ Ivanovic vs. USO and AO Champ S. Williams-who hadn't played against each other since 06!; Wimbledon Champ and YEC V. Williams vs OG Medalist Dementieva and tomorrow another match up of Venus vs. Serena for a spot in the final! Those are some pretty good match up that we won't see happen at IW for obvious reasons! The folks at IW must be eating their hearts out! LOL :wavey:

Bijoux0021
Feb 19th, 2009, 08:11 PM
I wish everyone would stop talking about IW. SERIOUSLY! ENOUGH!

RenaSlam.
Feb 19th, 2009, 08:12 PM
Essentially, IW won't have the two top players playing in their tournament (based on current form/talent).

Their loss.

LindsayRulz
Feb 19th, 2009, 08:13 PM
:weirdo:

spartanfan
Feb 19th, 2009, 08:14 PM
It's really not a WS vs. IW debate, but just how many tournaments outside of the four GS attract that many of the top 10 players for their tournament? It kinda makes Dubai a more important tournament than IW.

HippityHop
Feb 19th, 2009, 08:15 PM
Waiting to see how many take the bait. :)

spartanfan
Feb 19th, 2009, 09:57 PM
Essentially, IW won't have the two top players playing in their tournament (based on current form/talent).

Their loss.
Exactly. The two top players haven't played there in years.

calabar
Feb 19th, 2009, 10:01 PM
Waiting to see how many take the bait. :)
Obviously, you have by responding.

tennisbum79
Feb 19th, 2009, 11:20 PM
I agree. Give it a rest.

Venus and Serena have moved on. IW organizers and their fans have moved on.
This board and its posters should do the same.

sammy01
Feb 19th, 2009, 11:22 PM
oh ffs im sick of all the shit about dubai and IW, just frigging watch the tennis and enjoy it, or don't and shut up. posting topic after topic on tennisforum will change nothing, it will only serve to piss people (me) off.

Dave.
Feb 19th, 2009, 11:25 PM
Stupid thread.

IW >>> Dubai. It's been established as one of the biggest events for a long time now. It's the title that counts.

The Serena-Ana matchup was arguably better than anything we saw at the AO, yet the AO remains the more important.

mckyle.
Feb 19th, 2009, 11:28 PM
Indian Wells always misses out on a lot of the top players because Miami is right after it and most players (other than Davenport, Maria, and Daniela) consider Miami the bigger priority.

Lucas_Arg
Feb 19th, 2009, 11:29 PM
IW gives more money and points.
IW>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Dubai

Dodoboy.
Feb 19th, 2009, 11:30 PM
Dubai > IW :shrug:

IW is the bigger tournament though, sadly :(

All of the top 10 AND the current world #1 were at Dubai. Can't say the same about IW.

Ok maybe it would be more important to a player to win IW than Dubai, but let's say Kanepi and Razzano making the final 4 - i would be pretty satisfied as a player getting that far knowing the whole of the top 10 were there.

Volcana
Feb 20th, 2009, 12:19 AM
Gee, would I rather be Dubai, and lose the American TV coverage of the women (and the ad revenue that goes with it) the men threatening a present and future boycott, and enduring heaps of scorn from a tennis world they've spent millions to cultivate? Or....

IW, who will have all the players they had any right to expect to have, American TV coverage, and if the past few years are any indication, a highly sucessful tournament?

I'm not feeling Dubai on this one.