PDA

View Full Version : The Tennis Channel can't win from losing...

2Black
Feb 19th, 2009, 07:27 PM
...the 1 time you get a chance to feature the 2 most popular female tennis players in the US/World, you decide to boycott. :lol:

This channel has to be kicking itself or is totally clueless. From a business standpoint, it's all about ratings. That's how you get sponsors, advertisement, etc.

Someone needs to get creative over there & do it quickly. They need to find a low-budget but fun & exciting program to keep tennis fans tuning in. I got some ideas but not for free...:lol:

Yonexforever
Feb 19th, 2009, 09:04 PM
Im with you on this.. except I cant have my cake and eat it too.
I was all for a player boycott.. what do we get ?
Some great effin match ups and S & V dishing out beat downs I wish I could see!
:(
:(

2Black
Feb 19th, 2009, 09:30 PM
The program director has to be smarter though ... I haven't met 1 tennis person who says the tennis channel is great. All reviews by tennis fans have been mediocre to terrible. Someone at The Tennis channel has to know this is the case or is a complete idiot.

Monirena Wiles
Feb 19th, 2009, 09:39 PM
The tennis channel is the biggest disappointment of all time. It's not at all like I thought and they make me hate davis cup and fed cup because they show it non-stop. The tennis channel could be so much more but all their programs suck ass!

Serenita
Feb 19th, 2009, 09:44 PM
thank goodness for justin.tv/eurosport.

Serenita
Feb 19th, 2009, 09:44 PM
dont youjust love the internet

Monirena Wiles
Feb 19th, 2009, 09:50 PM
I wonder if the tennis channel people have any idea how much they dont connect with real tennis fans??

tobe
Feb 19th, 2009, 09:51 PM
2 most popular? Kournikova is playing Maria???

Sir Stefwhit
Feb 19th, 2009, 10:40 PM
I wonder if the tennis channel people have any idea how much they dont connect with real tennis fans??
Nothing on the tennis channel is presented from the tennis fan perspective. It's people who were connected to the sport as former players or investers, but not real fans of the tour. You also get the feeling that old people make all the decisions.

I hate raquetball on that channel and those shows about tennis destinations and vacations. The channel is a little to uppity for my personal taste, but I still support that channel with all my heart- it's all we've got.

fatty sausage
Feb 19th, 2009, 10:42 PM
haha...that's a good one!

2 most popular? Kournikova is playing Maria???

fatty sausage
Feb 19th, 2009, 10:51 PM
You guys complain about TTC but in reality, quality programming takes a lot of $$$, something the tennis $$$ doesn't have.

To generate $$$, TTC needs advertisers. More people that watch, the more advertisers would be interested. Only problem is that no one watches tennis! The rest of the world doesn't care about tennis. They'd rather watch golf or car racing.

What is the average rating for a GS Final on a major network? I don't know either, but it is small. Take that number and divide by a thousand and you might get the average viewership for TTC (I'm only guessing here, but you get the point.)

Could TTC be better? oh yeah, of course. But right now I'm just happy that they are on the air and I happen to subscribe to it.

Edinboro
Feb 19th, 2009, 11:34 PM
The problem with the tennis channel is they choose to show the same matches over and over and over and never cover early rounds of tournaments. Its so fucking annoying. Although I do think they give great coverae during the slams but nothing else.

Edinboro
Feb 19th, 2009, 11:37 PM
You guys complain about TTC but in reality, quality programming takes a lot of $$$, something the tennis $$$ doesn't have.

To generate $$$, TTC needs advertisers. More people that watch, the more advertisers would be interested. Only problem is that no one watches tennis! The rest of the world doesn't care about tennis. They'd rather watch golf or car racing.

What is the average rating for a GS Final on a major network? I don't know either, but it is small. Take that number and divide by a thousand and you might get the average viewership for TTC (I'm only guessing here, but you get the point.)

Could TTC be better? oh yeah, of course. But right now I'm just happy that they are on the air and I happen to subscribe to it.

True, but tennis is very popular overseas, especially in Russia. (I would assume. Perhaps someone can back me up on this). I remember reading that the US Open 2008 final between Serena and Jelena captured about 5 million viewers which isnt bad for a Saturday night.

Dodoboy.
Feb 19th, 2009, 11:41 PM
Nothing on the tennis channel is presented from the tennis fan perspective. It's people who were connected to the sport as former players or investers, but not real fans of the tour. You also get the feeling that old people make all the decisions.

I hate raquetball on that channel and those shows about tennis destinations and vacations. The channel is a little to uppity for my personal taste, but I still support that channel with all my heart- it's all we've got.

It sounds good from you description, Sir :lol:

HippityHop
Feb 19th, 2009, 11:55 PM
...the 1 time you get a chance to feature the 2 most popular female tennis players in the US/World, you decide to boycott. :lol:

This channel has to be kicking itself or is totally clueless. From a business standpoint, it's all about ratings. That's how you get sponsors, advertisement, etc.

Someone needs to get creative over there & do it quickly. They need to find a low-budget but fun & exciting program to keep tennis fans tuning in. I got some ideas but not for free...:lol:

For real!

Shooter
Feb 20th, 2009, 01:27 AM
My main gripe with TTC is that the announcing could be better. Actually, it's getting better. Like the other networks, TTC seems to think that we want to listen to former pro tennis players as announcers. That's not true for me. I want to listen to someone who is paying close attention to what's going on down on the court, in the stadium, and most of all ON MY TV screen. Most of the time their gossip is extremely distracting - even insulting and disrespectful to the players. If they are not talking about what I'm seeing on my TV, I don't want to hear it. They do not give enough info on the players on the court, particularly if it's an early round match with a high seed going against someone outside of the Top 20. The underdog in these matches is treated like garbage. Sometimes the announcers rarely mention their name, or mention it reluctantly. I don't care if #1 is playing #100. Each player should be talked about equally. Each player's name should be mentioned the same # of times. Don't refer to the #1 player by his/her first name and the #100 player by their last name. It's disrespectful. It's bogus. I'm shocked that former tour players would do this as announcers. But they do - a lot.

As far as programming is concerned, I'd like to be able to see any semi or final in all ATP or WTA events close to live - maybe within a day of when the match was actually played. That includes doubles and mixed doubles. I'm very much in favor of seeing major events in other racket sports like Table Tennis, Squash, and Racketball. If they have to broadcast these at 3 am in the morning - fine. I'll record them and watch when it's convenient for me. The travel shows are fine. One suggestion I have for more content is a weekly or daily news show which talks about what's currently going on the world of tennis including ITF, college, and junior tennis.

I'm glad we have the Tennis Channel. I would like to see them generalize more and call themselves the Racket Sports Channel. There's a lot of room for improvement, and many of the improvements don't require more funding.

Bounty Hunter
Feb 20th, 2009, 01:54 AM
Shooter, you're rigt on the money with that post.

Uranium
Feb 20th, 2009, 02:26 AM
I hate TTC especially if there won't be a livestream available tomorrow:smash:

Denise4925
Feb 20th, 2009, 02:30 AM

OMG, I so wrote them a letter today about this very same thing. I was blinded with fury when I wrote the letter, so I have no idea what I said. :lol: :help:

Denise4925
Feb 20th, 2009, 02:32 AM
dont youjust love the internet

Yes, but if you work you can't always watch and you can't record. At least I haven't figured out how yet. If you can, I beg someone to tell me how so I can record the match between Vee and Rena tomorrow. :sad:

Denise4925
Feb 20th, 2009, 02:33 AM

I totally told them in my letter how much they are despised by tennis fans in tennisforum.com. :lol: So, hopefully they see this thread. Let's keep it going guys.

bobbynorwich
Feb 20th, 2009, 02:35 AM
The Tennis Channel decided to boycott Dubai due to the United Arab Emirates sheikhs' refusal to allow a qualified female player (Shahar Peer, Israeli) to enter the country, which violated the WTA-Dubai contract and politicized professional tennis. It was a principled stand that should be applauded, especially as it denied Dubai of broadcast revenue. Venus Williams, Billie Jean King, Elena Dementiava, Ana Ivanovic, and Amelie Mauresmo all condemned the United Arab Emirates action.

I'm a Tennis Channel subscriber and was planning to watch the Dubai tourney, but totally support TTC's blackout.

BTW, an unintended benefit is a large amount of free international publicity for TTC, which can lure more subscribers. The fact is that TTC gets outbid by ESPN and major networks for coverage of elite tournies, so more subscribers (more revenue) coming from this boycott is a win-win in the long run.

Karma? :secret:

Denise4925
Feb 20th, 2009, 02:36 AM

If they don't show tennis to their subscribers, they won't get the ads. What's the point of TTC if they are not going to show whole WTA tennis tournaments and if they pull out of the ones they have a license to show. If they hadn't had a political stick up their collective asses, we would be able to see Vee and Rena tomorrow and the final on Saturday.

Denise4925
Feb 20th, 2009, 02:46 AM
My main gripe with TTC is that the announcing could be better. Actually, it's getting better. Like the other networks, TTC seems to think that we want to listen to former pro tennis players as announcers. That's not true for me. I want to listen to someone who is paying close attention to what's going on down on the court, in the stadium, and most of all ON MY TV screen. Most of the time their gossip is extremely distracting - even insulting and disrespectful to the players. If they are not talking about what I'm seeing on my TV, I don't want to hear it. They do not give enough info on the players on the court, particularly if it's an early round match with a high seed going against someone outside of the Top 20. The underdog in these matches is treated like garbage. Sometimes the announcers rarely mention their name, or mention it reluctantly. I don't care if #1 is playing #100. Each player should be talked about equally. Each player's name should be mentioned the same # of times. Don't refer to the #1 player by his/her first name and the #100 player by their last name. It's disrespectful. It's bogus. I'm shocked that former tour players would do this as announcers. But they do - a lot.

As far as programming is concerned, I'd like to be able to see any semi or final in all ATP or WTA events close to live - maybe within a day of when the match was actually played. That includes doubles and mixed doubles. I'm very much in favor of seeing major events in other racket sports like Table Tennis, Squash, and Racketball. If they have to broadcast these at 3 am in the morning - fine. I'll record them and watch when it's convenient for me. The travel shows are fine. One suggestion I have for more content is a weekly or daily news show which talks about what's currently going on the world of tennis including ITF, college, and junior tennis.

I'm glad we have the Tennis Channel. I would like to see them generalize more and call themselves the Racket Sports Channel. There's a lot of room for improvement, and many of the improvements don't require more funding.

I can deal with the announcing, as long as there is coverage. I don't care what or who they are talking about on the air, because during the slams we have to deal with ESPN and that's far worse than any other announcing I've ever seen. :rolleyes:

As far as programming goes, at least let us see from the quarters through the finals, if you're not going to show the whole tournament. I don't understand the undercoverage of a tournament when you are the tennis channel and no one else has the license to do it. I can see why they show limited coverage of matches during the slams because ESPN or some network has the rights over them, but Tier 1s (not named Miami) and II's and III's what's the problem with full coverage?

I subscribed to the TENNIS channel, not the racquet sport channel. I don't appreciate it when they show this because it's not what I bargained for when I signed on to subscribe.

It would be great if we could get daily news about tennis on TTC and a little gossip would be great too. Tennis is a whole different world and I would love to be able to see behind the scenes. There are all kinds of things they can do related to tennis, but as Sir Stef said, they are unaware of the desires of tennis fans. Their programming has been the same since they came on the air and that was what 6 years ago. Nothing has changed, except they are showing WTA tournaments now, but other than that, nothing new.

I'm glad we have TTC also, but they need a new programmer who is in touch with the tennis fans.

Denise4925
Feb 20th, 2009, 02:51 AM
The Tennis Channel decided to boycott Dubai due to the United Arab Emirates sheikhs' refusal to allow a qualified female player (Shahar Peer, Israeli) to enter the country, which violated the WTA-Dubai contract and politicized professional tennis. It was a principled stand that should be applauded, especially as it denied Dubai of broadcast revenue. Venus Williams, Billie Jean King, Elena Dementiava, Ana Ivanovic, and Amelie Mauresmo all condemned the United Arab Emirates action.

I'm a Tennis Channel subscriber and was planning to watch the Dubai tourney, but totally support TTC's blackout.

That's a political issue for the WTA to work out, not TTC. They are not a free network. They have customers who pay for the privilege of watching tennis.

BTW, an unintended benefit is a large amount of free international publicity for TTC, which can lure more subscribers. The fact is that TTC gets outbid by ESPN and major networks for coverage of elite tournies, so more subscribers (more revenue) coming from this boycott is a win-win in the long run.

Karma? :secret:

I have no idea what you are talking about here. Can you explain further?

Serena's Hubby
Feb 20th, 2009, 03:03 AM
With all of the problems that I have with TTC....:rolleyes: my bottom line statement is

"at lest we got one lmao".....

even though they need to step it up a lot its made a difference in what us Tennis fans see...

While i respect them boycotting this.... I really wish they would show the Semis and final like they were before :shrug: i mean i think everybody really needs to see this match...so i mean thats on them..

this is like Good form serena and venus round 1 of this year come on now make at least an exception for this match

bobbynorwich
Feb 20th, 2009, 03:07 AM
Quote:
BTW, an unintended benefit is a large amount of free international publicity for TTC, which can lure more subscribers. The fact is that TTC gets outbid by ESPN and major networks for coverage of elite tournies, so more subscribers (more revenue) coming from this boycott is a win-win in the long run. Karma?

I have no idea what you are talking about here. Can you explain further?

Yes. Every major international newspaper reported that the Tennis Channel was not broadcasting the Dubai tournament due to the United Arab Emirate's refusal to admit a seeded player (Shahar Peer, Israel). Many people who'd never heard of the Tennis Channel now know about it, which is free publicity, greater stature, more subscribers, and more viewers.

eugreene2
Feb 20th, 2009, 04:08 AM
I'm all for people taking a stand on what they believe ... so for that, I applaud them.

Here is the problem - as a business, you have to choose your battles WISELY. Especially as a struggling business. For that reason, I don't think it was a smart decision. Yet, I'm not gonna make a big deal about it since I understand discrimination 1st hand.

Regarding their programming - it's awful. I try hard to support them. I even leave my TV on TTC sometimes when I'm not watching to help in any way I can with ratings. But the OP is right, they need some CREATIVITY. Where is the weekly tennis news show. That can't be expensive. Just do it at their studio. They already have a studio so what's the big deal.

darrinbaker00
Feb 20th, 2009, 04:28 AM
If they can't get the rights to WTA and/or ATP tournaments every week, that's fine, but since the USTA is a minority investor in Tennis Channel, I don't see any reason why they aren't broadcasting USTA Challenger, Futures and/or Junior events. I would also like to see more instructional programming; I thought their Tennis Channel Academy series was excellent.

bobbynorwich
Feb 20th, 2009, 04:41 AM
If they can't get the rights to WTA and/or ATP tournaments every week, that's fine, but since the USTA is a minority investor in Tennis Channel, I don't see any reason why they aren't broadcasting USTA Challenger, Futures and/or Junior events. I would also like to see more instructional programming; I thought their Tennis Channel Academy series was excellent.

Good point.
:yeah:

TennisViewer531
Feb 20th, 2009, 04:42 AM
I guess Tennis Channel learned its lesson.

Brooks.
Feb 20th, 2009, 04:43 AM
It was a stupid decision on their part. Point blank.

bobbynorwich
Feb 20th, 2009, 04:52 AM
It was a stupid decision on their part. Point blank.

They got a lot of free international publicity and kudos for taking the high road.

Brooks.
Feb 20th, 2009, 05:03 AM
They got a lot of free international publicity and kudos for taking the high road.

How does free international publicity help them get more viewers in America? It wasn't their road to take. It's the WTA's problem. They are just punishing the loyal fans that pay to subscribe to their channel. The Williams match would have been a big get for them. Oh well. They can only blame themselves.

Denise4925
Feb 20th, 2009, 05:09 AM

But, they don't have an international market. Their market is here in the US.

Denise4925
Feb 20th, 2009, 05:13 AM

I agree. They did one special about Junior Tennis, where they showed the kids working up to that final tennis championship and that's how I got to know the new American kid. I can't think of his name, but he won the Tennis Channel Open last year.

eugreene2
Feb 20th, 2009, 04:36 PM
And now the match is turning into a heated battle - boy are they missing out lol

selestribe
Feb 20th, 2009, 05:08 PM
...the 1 time you get a chance to feature the 2 most popular female tennis players in the US/World

Seles and Graf are back???? :confused: