PDA

View Full Version : Serena Williams: Greatest serve & ROS ever?

AcesHigh
Feb 19th, 2009, 05:15 PM
Just watching this match against Ivanovic, Serena is just smacking returns left and right and I can't remember someone who on a consistent basis just destroys FIRST SERVES like Serena does. It's a wonder she doesnt consistently dominate with a serve that is so accurate, so powerful and never fails under pressure moments AND a return that just crushes the hopes of opponents.

Is there anyone who is even comparable?

doni1212
Feb 19th, 2009, 05:22 PM
No one is even close, :worship:

faboozadoo15
Well she definitely has a lot of competition in the return department. Seles, Evert, Davenport, etc.

Her serve might just be the very best though. If we analyze different eras, Navratilova's would be right up there though. She hit as many aces as Serena if not more, with old technology.

Dodoboy.
HA! Noone comes close!

Olórin
Feb 19th, 2009, 05:24 PM
It's between Seles and Serena, no-one else comes close.

Lucemferre
Feb 19th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Yes. Is that news to you? :p

Those returns at 4-4 were :scared:

Serena :worship:

Lulu.
Feb 19th, 2009, 05:26 PM
Hands down! :bowdown:

VeeReeDavJCap81
Feb 19th, 2009, 05:27 PM
I think so, timing, power, placement, reliability, clutchness doesn't get much better than that.

hotandspicey
Feb 19th, 2009, 05:27 PM
Just watching this match against Ivanovic, Serena is just smacking returns left and right and I can't remember someone who on a consistent basis just destroys FIRST SERVES like Serena does. It's a wonder she doesnt consistently dominate with a serve that is so accurate, so powerful and never fails under pressure moments AND a return that just crushes the hopes of opponents.

Simply the best. Those return of serves were just scary, weren't they. They made me flinch so I can only imagine what it does to an opponent's confidence. Simply crushing, I guess.

Geisha
Feb 19th, 2009, 05:33 PM
She probably has the best serve and return combination. Serve, she's probably the best ever, regardless of era. Return is great, all-time status, but...

DOUBLEFIST
Feb 19th, 2009, 05:43 PM

No. ...no there's not.

Mina Vagante
Feb 19th, 2009, 05:47 PM
Her returns made me poo myself :sad:

Cp6uja
Feb 19th, 2009, 05:48 PM
On other hand I can't remember when somebody served to Serena so many serve-winners in just two sets like Ana did today (including several at BP's)! Venus is still better server than Ana, but Serena training with her since childhood (learn to read) and against Ana played just 2nd time in life (1st time since Ana is TOP10 and adult) so that is reason why she have so many troubles. Also reason why we see today so many serve-winners from Ana and so many unbelievable return-serve winners from Serena is fact that Ivanovic easy finish every point with her FH if You "just return" her good serve. That's why Serena since start make strategic decision to attack every Ana serve (only serves directed in her body is exception). BTW Ana's tactic today is pretty similar and high aggressive... that's why watching this match I have sometime feeling that I watching some ATP, not WTA match.

shap_half
Feb 19th, 2009, 05:49 PM
Definitely on the serve, but not the return.

BlameSerena
Feb 19th, 2009, 05:50 PM
Serena's return is a murderous one. It's like she locks and loads and BOOM. Another sucker is gone!

Serena's serve is the best ever for sure.

Valanga
Feb 19th, 2009, 05:50 PM
Serena is too good, true.
When she is off, and trailing behind and that's the moment she played goooooooood tennis.

good match.

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Feb 19th, 2009, 05:58 PM
I don´t think so. She sends so much long balls, open or into the net at return

Seles was more accurate

Watching
Feb 19th, 2009, 06:00 PM
Serena's serve is the GOAT serve IMO.
Her ROS today was truly spectacular and she is up there equally with Seles in that department (I think Lindsay is a bit behind them).

As a combo of Serve and ROS serve she is the best at doing both of all time IMO. This is why I beleive she is unbeatable at her best...because both of her first strikes on serve and return are truly amazing.

Lucemferre
Feb 19th, 2009, 06:02 PM
Definitely on the serve, but not the return.

Can you name players with better return?

Ciarán
Feb 19th, 2009, 06:04 PM
I hate these :bs: threads every time she wins a match. OK shes a good tennis player get over it :weirdo:

Mashafaaaaan
Feb 19th, 2009, 06:04 PM
She is great, no doubt, she has the best serve, return of serves are good too, Davenport and Sharapova are pretty good in this field too, but yes she is the best in this 2 fields.

Mina Vagante
Feb 19th, 2009, 06:05 PM
I hate these :bs: threads every time she wins a match. OK shes a good tennis player get over it :weirdo:

What happened to the love you had for her :crying2:

Lucemferre
Feb 19th, 2009, 06:06 PM

No she is a GREAT tennis player. You stop whining :rolleyes:

Dave.
Feb 19th, 2009, 06:07 PM
Her serve is the greatest ever.

Davenport, Seles, and yes probably Serena own the greatest returns ever (at least of the past 20 yrs). Nobody else comes close.

The reason Davenport is the best at getting the "first strike" is her world class serve & return, and I'd say Serena is the only other one who can do it like she does. Just always in a commanding position off the first ball.

volta
Feb 19th, 2009, 06:08 PM
Pierce has a good combo as well

Marty-Dom
Feb 19th, 2009, 06:09 PM
I don´t think so. She sends so much long balls, open or into the net at return

Seles was more accurate

But, hardly anyone served to Seles the way current players serve to Serena. She faces on average probably good 5 mph faster serves than Seles had to face in the 90's. How many players could serve consistently 110-120 mph during Seles days? Now you have a bunch of players that can whack 120 mph serves and 110-115 mph is normal for them.

Ciarán
Feb 19th, 2009, 06:10 PM
What happened to the love you had for her :crying2:

I am not criticising Serena. I am criticisng every loser who makes one of these threads. She's been on tour for 10 years, I just don't get all the hype? And all this GOAT :bs: is ridiculous when she cleary isn't. Both Graf and Navratilova have more slams and week at no.1.

starin
Feb 19th, 2009, 06:10 PM
One of the best for sure!!

:worship: Serena

Adal
Feb 19th, 2009, 06:12 PM
Serena :tears:

The Dawntreader
Feb 19th, 2009, 06:12 PM
Serena must also be one of the best ever, at improvising on return and making a huge winner purely due to her athletic ability.

2Black
Feb 19th, 2009, 06:15 PM

Totally agree ... when serving to Serena, the best thing to do are BODY SERVES. Justine learned this & that helped her tremendously in '07.

2Black
Feb 19th, 2009, 06:16 PM

Totally Agree ... When serving to Serena, the best thing to do are body serves. Justine learned this & that helped her tremendously in '07.

Slutiana
Feb 19th, 2009, 06:22 PM
Hmm, well Venus' stretched return is much better than Serena's. :shrug: But when the ball comes in Serena's hitting zone, it is toast.

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Feb 19th, 2009, 06:27 PM
But, hardly anyone served to Seles the way current players serve to Serena. She faces on average probably good 5 mph faster serves than Seles had to face in the 90's. How many players could serve consistently 110-120 mph during Seles days? Now you have a bunch of players that can whack 120 mph serves and 110-115 mph is normal for them.

I have seen Serena returning a lot balls into the net , long or wide open with Dementieva at serve :shrug: . Dementieva has not exactly what I call a fast serve

kiwifan
Feb 19th, 2009, 06:28 PM
Consistently speaking, Yes, especially her second serve and serving under pressure (when she needs an ace). :cool:

But when Venus "brings it"; no one out serves The Queen. ;)

And I played college tennis and only Serena hits a return of serve that I envy (cross court shallow with power almost always a winner :bowdown: ).

Callum
Feb 19th, 2009, 06:33 PM
I give the edge to Lindsay, because although Serena hits more return winners, hers was much more consistent a return.

VenusSerenaBlvd.
Feb 19th, 2009, 06:37 PM
No question Serena's serve is the best right now. I mean even when she came back from injury/surgery in 2004, her serve never left her. Serena's return of serve is awesome. Davenport and Seles are up there too. But I think because Serena's serve is better than the both of them, Rena's ROS is the best. My logic: Serena would have an easier time holding serve after breaking. That's just my opinion. But I think the reason why Ana hit so many service winners was because Serena was going for too much and not reading Ana's serve well at those times. Ana was serving smart! She went for off pace serves, to the body, etc.

Dodoboy.
Feb 19th, 2009, 06:38 PM

Sit down Ciara!

sweetpeas
Feb 19th, 2009, 06:56 PM
I never never seen any women return like Serena!It says....get that fucking shit, out here!!!!!!!!!!!!!:wavey::bounce::lol::lol:

VivalaSeles
Feb 19th, 2009, 06:56 PM
How many players could serve consistently 110-120 mph during Seles days? Now you have a bunch of players that can whack 120 mph serves and 110-115 mph is normal for them.
Well, Seles - though in her not-so-lean years - had to face Venus's serve, Serena's, Davenport's, Pierce's. I remember at the YEC Monica hitting a return W out of a Venus's first serve. She lost the match, unfortunately :sad:

DA FOREHAND
Feb 19th, 2009, 07:01 PM
^

"A" return winner as in single?...

VivalaSeles
Feb 19th, 2009, 07:04 PM
^

"A" return winner as in single?...

I am sure she hit more, but that one out of a 1st serve was really amazing.

Harju.
Feb 19th, 2009, 07:06 PM
SerenaGOAT or SerenaGSROSE?

RenaSlam.
Feb 19th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Yep. Serve definitely, ROS up there as well.

Lulu.
Feb 19th, 2009, 07:33 PM

Stay out of the threads then. :shrug:

You take time out of your day to comment in them so they must not bother you as much as you claim they do. :)

Denise4925
Feb 19th, 2009, 08:04 PM
The combination of how good she is on both, better than all of the rest, is what makes it the greatest ever.

One player can do one well or the other well, but Serena does exceptionally well on both.

Rollo
Feb 19th, 2009, 08:32 PM
Serve-yes.

Return of serve-great, but not greatest ever.

~{X}~
Feb 19th, 2009, 08:38 PM
I think Serena does probably have the best serve ever, Venus had an amazing serve during 2000-2001 as well and Sharapova's serve at the beginning of '08 was phenomenal as well, but consistently, Serena definitely.

Return of serve, I'd still say Monica Seles had the best return of serve ever. She was the reason WHY people had to improve their serves because she was eating them for lunch in the early 90's. She was acurate as hell too, and yes I remember during the 2002 YEC when Venus was serving in the 115-120's and Seles were smacking them for winners, Venus was even surprised after the match. Davenport also is amazing on the returns, very effortless, Seles, Serena and Davenport are the best in returns.

Olórin
Feb 19th, 2009, 08:39 PM
I am not criticising Serena. I am criticisng every loser who makes one of these threads. She's been on tour for 10 years, I just don't get all the hype? And all this GOAT :bs: is ridiculous when she cleary isn't. Both Graf and Navratilova have more slams and week at no.1.

One of the biggest elements of "bs" on this forum is the content of your posts which I have had to read in the past few weeks. It's as if you lack basic comprehension skills. No-one called Serena the Greatest of All Time. Someone simply started a thread with the intention of debating if she had the best serve and ROS ever. It's a valid point to make.

Ferg
Feb 19th, 2009, 08:46 PM
Well, Bartoli can rape second serves often, but i dont think anyone can come close to Serena when shes really on. :worship:

bandabou
Feb 19th, 2009, 08:47 PM
She has BOTH..that's the scary thing. She can go through matches, barely losing points on serve and barely losing points when receiving!

Her serve, I think really it's beyond discussion now...best ever.
Return? Mwah..great,but not greatest just yet.

bandabou
Feb 19th, 2009, 08:49 PM
She has BOTH..that's the scary thing. She can go through matches, barely losing points on serve and barely losing points when receiving!

Her serve, I think really it's beyond discussion now...best ever.
Return? Mwah..great,but not greatest just yet.

Ferg
Feb 19th, 2009, 08:49 PM
Well, Bartoli can rape second serves often, but i dont think anyone can come close to Serena when shes really on. :worship:

Ferg
Feb 19th, 2009, 08:51 PM

debopero
Feb 20th, 2009, 12:46 AM

What the hell are you talking about :tape: ? (Not the Graf, Navratilova part but everything else you put does not make sense).

spencercarlos
Feb 20th, 2009, 01:14 AM
Racket tecnology, or you think that Brenda Schultz (the huge server of Seles era) broke the former record of Venus Williams in 2007 using her old racket? :lol:

Denise4925
Feb 20th, 2009, 01:22 AM
Racket tecnology, or you think that Brenda Schultz (the huge server of Seles era) broke the former record of Venus Williams in 2007 using her old racket? :lol:

I'm sorry spencer, are we talking about Venus in this thread? If so, I must have missed something. ;)

LightWarrior
Feb 20th, 2009, 01:28 AM
What strikes me that she's hitting those forehands cross-court. She never used to do that in her prime, it was always down the line. I guess she's playing real tennis with some touch and insight now.

serenafan08
Feb 20th, 2009, 02:56 AM
It's really scary when you think about it. Her opponents are on the defensive no matter if they're serving or returning! :eek: How must that feel to know that the ball will be blasted back at you no matter what the stroke? Her return has always been a weapon - when she won her first Grand Slam against Hingis she snacked all match long on those weak second serves. And she is usually pretty efficient on serve too; a lot more aces than double faults.

SAEKeithSerena
Feb 20th, 2009, 03:16 AM
this can't be an argument. she's absolutely the best.

Cakeisgood
Feb 20th, 2009, 03:19 AM
Serve- Yes. Pretty much without a doubt. The 1st is a bullet. 2nd is uncrackable and consistent.

ROS- Not Seles good. I'd say excellent. Not GOAT.

spencercarlos
Feb 20th, 2009, 03:28 AM
What strikes me that she's hitting those forehands cross-court. She never used to do that in her prime, it was always down the line. I guess she's playing real tennis with some touch and insight now.
Serena pretty much had those working already. Two of those come to my mind amazing forehand returns crosscourt i can think of vs Henin at 5-2 in the first set RG 2002, the hardest groundstroke shot hit by a woman or against Venus at the Australian Open final 2003 while Venus served for the first set.

Greatest ROS
Forehand Graf
Backhand Seles

Overall Seles

LDVTennis
Feb 20th, 2009, 04:01 AM
Greatest ROS
Forehand Graf
Backhand Seles

Overall Seles

Agreed!

As to Serena's serve, it is powerful and effective, but it lacks the originality of Navratilova's serve or the ability to hit the extremes of Steffi's serve. It is also not an elegant motion.

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Feb 20th, 2009, 04:05 AM
Greatest ROS
Forehand Graf
Backhand Seles

Overall Seles

this spencercarlos is good

MrSerenaWilliams
Feb 20th, 2009, 05:33 AM
Agreed!

As to Serena's serve, it is powerful and effective, but it lacks the originality of Navratilova's serve or the ability to hit the extremes of Steffi's serve. It is also not an elegant motion.

Lacks Originality? Can't hit extremes?

Are you serious? :spit:

Not an elegant motion? Seriously? :unsure:

Denise4925
Feb 20th, 2009, 05:34 AM
Agreed!

:spit: :haha: :haha: :haha:

I can understand everyone having an opinion, but this is ridiculous, bordering on high on crack.

Karsten Braasch
Feb 20th, 2009, 05:37 AM
Stupid thread. The answer is a definitive NO.

50Sense
Feb 20th, 2009, 05:48 AM
I don't understand what it means to have an "original" serve?

homogenius
Feb 20th, 2009, 05:56 AM
Both her serve and ROS are great no doubt, but she' not consistent enough to be the greatest ever.Both can be very impressive at times but she has also a lot of matches in which it's not that good (particularly the ROS).When she's on and faces a good match-up (Maria, Ana) it's probably the scariest shot outhere (her crosscourt fh return that is) but she generally overpowers it a lot especially dtl.

Renalicious
Feb 20th, 2009, 06:25 AM
Any video of these returns? :drool:

bandabou
Feb 20th, 2009, 06:36 AM
Agreed!

:lol: LDV, LDV...is this your way of agreeing that Serena's the best serve ever?

InsideOut.
Feb 20th, 2009, 08:43 AM
Yes. ROS may be debatable but serve is just :worship:

Dodoboy.
Feb 20th, 2009, 10:20 AM
Agreed!

:confused:

Sund7101
Feb 20th, 2009, 01:52 PM
Greatest serve of all-time, esp. 2nd serve

Greatest return of all-time: Seles-so early, so accurate, and hardly ever any errors

DA FOREHAND
Feb 20th, 2009, 02:45 PM
Serena pretty much had those working already. Two of those come to my mind amazing forehand returns crosscourt i can think of vs Henin at 5-2 in the first set RG 2002, the hardest groundstroke shot hit by a woman or against Venus at the Australian Open final 2003 while Venus served for the first set.

Greatest ROS
Forehand Graf
Backhand Seles

Overall Seles

overall Monica's serve was middle of the road.

Great ROS though.

I would give Serena best serve
Monica/Lindsay/Serena/Capriati ROS

overall
Serena
Lindsay
Monica (her serve was not a weapon)

homogenius
Feb 20th, 2009, 02:53 PM
nice jiinx thread :tape:

Dodoboy.
Feb 20th, 2009, 03:11 PM
:lol:

Dodoboy.
Feb 20th, 2009, 03:15 PM
Jesusrena just made an appearance!

Lucemferre
Feb 27th, 2009, 07:24 PM
Agreed!

:tape::haha: