PDA

View Full Version : How many married player can still do awesome in tennis?

Mynarco
Feb 19th, 2009, 11:16 AM
Recently I am thinking...Would a top player be able to win GS/winning high tier titles after getting married? The only name I can recall is lindsay...

NeeemZ
Feb 19th, 2009, 11:17 AM
Ummm, Justine did pretty good while she had Hardenne added to her name.

mckyle.
Feb 19th, 2009, 11:18 AM
Schnyder.

mckyle.
Feb 19th, 2009, 11:20 AM
Severine is better as Bremond then she was as Beltrame :p

Mattographer
Feb 19th, 2009, 11:20 AM
Court, Cawley, Evert, etc...

Mattographer
Feb 19th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Court, Cawley, Evert, etc...
I realise they're all retired ;)

frenchie
Feb 19th, 2009, 11:25 AM
zheng, li, Zakopalova

Mynarco
Feb 19th, 2009, 11:28 AM
zheng, li, Zakopalova

Is kooki married :eek:?

Wow, I didn't know that...

Even Zheng and Li have married just stunnnned me.

Uranium
Feb 19th, 2009, 11:32 AM
Silvia Farina Elia had a good career.

frenchie
Feb 19th, 2009, 11:35 AM
Is kooki married :eek:?

Wow, I didn't know that...

Even Zheng and Li have married just stunnnned me.

She was Klara Koukalova before;)

Mynarco
Feb 19th, 2009, 11:39 AM

I thought she changed her surname:tape: like Gajdosova

EDIT: ooooh, Jarmila got married as well:o

Tennis Fool
Feb 19th, 2009, 11:39 AM
Both she and Barbora had ranking plummets immediately following their marriages and took several seasons for them to get back on track.

This may also be the case for fellow Czech Nicole if she is indeed married secretly to Mr. Sexy.

Mynarco
Feb 19th, 2009, 11:42 AM
The reason why I would start this thread is that I wonder if a tennis player is to pursue more slams or even more titles or getting married and to have a complete life...

tennnisfannn
Feb 19th, 2009, 11:58 AM
Remember anne someone who became pestolesi or something and her tennis went down the guglar!

KoRRigan
Feb 19th, 2009, 12:15 PM
Remember anne someone who became pestolesi or something and her tennis went down the guglar!

I think you mean Anna Smashnova!
Nathalie Dechy also got married without it really affecting her career but she is not concerned when talking about slam winners.. Oh yes, in doubles!

stefi62
Feb 19th, 2009, 12:19 PM
Cara Black and Liezel Huber are both married and coached by their husbands. Liezel won all her four slams after getting married and Cara won her last three as Mrs Stephens.

Tennis Fool
Feb 19th, 2009, 01:24 PM
On the men's side it's more obvious that marriage=career ender, ie John McEnroe, Andre Agassi (almost, with Brooke Shields), Lleyton Hewitt, etc.

The Dawntreader
Feb 19th, 2009, 01:26 PM
Lindsay got back to number 1 after marrying 'Le Leach':lol::worship:

I didnt think she would back in '03, when she was skipping the red clay tournies in favour of some 'downtime' with her hubby;):lol:

Dave.
Feb 19th, 2009, 01:58 PM
Lindsay got back to number 1 after marrying 'Le Leach':lol::worship:

I didnt think she would back in '03, when she was skipping the red clay tournies in favour of some 'downtime' with her hubby;):lol:

:lol: I don't think it's a coincidence she chose to get married in April

It's a shame she never made her name Lindsay Davenport-Leach, would have sounded better IMO

tennisfan5
Feb 19th, 2009, 02:04 PM
On the men's side it's more obvious that marriage=career ender, ie John McEnroe, Andre Agassi (almost, with Brooke Shields), Lleyton Hewitt, etc.

Agassi did pretty well after her married steffi:lol:

Albireo
Feb 19th, 2009, 02:10 PM

Actually, with the men, it's having kids that's the career killer.

There was an article done a number of years ago (sorry, don't remember where) that pointed out that the odds of a player winning a Slam after having kids were astronomical, and it had the stats to prove it.