PDA

View Full Version : Hingis: On a downward spiral

TeeRexx
Aug 31st, 2002, 09:07 PM
Once the premier player in the world and a future Tennis Hall of Fame inductee, Martina Hingis has run on tough times as the tour has finally caught up and passed her leaving the former terror of the tour with her head spinning in theri wake.

http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20020830/i/1030670279.3959660631.jpg

Currently ranked no. 8, but may be struggling to stay in the top ten by the end of the year.

The serve of Hingis may be weaker than it was before her surgery and it was considered by many to be weak even then. Players no longer fear her and Hingis even had to struggle to a three set win in a second round match against qualifer, Marissa Irvin.

Hingis will not see the quarter finals of this slam and maybe very few slams in the future.

smygelfh
Aug 31st, 2002, 09:12 PM
...and noone would be happier than you if a girl plagued by injuries falls out of top ten...

TeeRexx
Aug 31st, 2002, 09:18 PM
smygelfh - No, I would not be happy at the demise of Hingis.
I enjoy watching her play and compete.

Afterall, I have two faves, who by the way, have been and still are, as you say, plagued by injuries.

kournikovafan13
Aug 31st, 2002, 09:22 PM
Ummm...she beat Zanetti in straight sets:rolleyes:

treufreund
Aug 31st, 2002, 09:22 PM
Martina does not have all that many points to defend in the fall. She will easily stay in top ten. :)

Schadenfreude denied.

ttaM
Aug 31st, 2002, 09:23 PM
I wouldn't say downward spiral as a bad thing. I mean, everyone else just got better: Jen, Venus, Serena, Lindsay. Then you have other power players: Kim, Monica, Justine, Jelena, who have all beaten Hingis (except Justine, but a lot of people think she can and will beat Martina.) I don't see Hingis getting back in the top 4 with the current players that are in the top 10 now.

kournikovafan13
Aug 31st, 2002, 09:23 PM
Unfortunately it'll be Lindsay struggling to stay in the top ten, with all those points she has to defend:(

evadafan
Aug 31st, 2002, 09:26 PM
Yeah, Hingis is doing terrible. She had Championship points in the only other slam she played this year. Just awful.

bobcat
Aug 31st, 2002, 09:26 PM
More important that points, Lindsay's game is in good shape right now, whereas Hingis' game wasn't even that great before her layoff and it's much worse now.

irma
Aug 31st, 2002, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by evadafan
Yeah, Hingis is doing terrible. She had Championship points in the only other slam she played this year. Just awful.

yeah that is terrible, don't understand why people see that match as something great :rolleyes:
probarly my competive attitude :o

evadafan
Hingis's game was excellent at the beginning of the year.

AjdeNate!
More propaganda.... :rolleyes:

nysaga
Aug 31st, 2002, 09:50 PM
TeeRexx..bored aren't you? Writing BS ..lol
I suggest you log off the internet and go shopping at KMart.

irma
Aug 31st, 2002, 09:50 PM
well she was number 1 on the yearranking so she was doing fine in general, that's true!

bobcat
Aug 31st, 2002, 09:51 PM
I would characterize Hingis' game at the beginning of the year as adequate, not excellent. Most of the top players were rusty and/or inconsistent at that time. If she were to play at that level right now against Venus, Serena, or Lindsay I think she would lose easily.

Sophie
Aug 31st, 2002, 09:52 PM
Downward spiral is a bit harsh. She will probably end up ranked about 5-8 which is where she should be right now. I like Hingis, but I am not impressed with her fitness here. No wonder she was not sure she would be ready for the Open

MartianJoeyWinson
Aug 31st, 2002, 09:53 PM
TeeRexx, once again your posts fail to surprise me as sheer utter crap in order to whip up some sort of argument between Williams and Hingis fans to make yourself some kind of hero to your own sort. This thread is totally needless, why the hell have you posted it? As "Seles" said, more propaganda, exactly, you are the Squealer of the wtaworld.com board (readers of 1984 will know what I am on about). Ideally I'd ignore this but I just can't fathom why somone of your ilk is deemed a "legend" in these parts.

MartianJoeyWinson
Aug 31st, 2002, 09:58 PM
Oh and cheers for the pic too... look, your faves are doing well, enjoy their success instead of winding up others and stop being a pain in the sodding arse. Okay so Marti ain't doing that well but she has just come back off an injury, personaly I don't think she will reach the dizzy heights of where she was before but I am so chuffed to see her back on the court, a few months back it looked as though we'd never see her playing again.

And don't give us the crap about "I'm happy to see her back playing", starting threads like this one lets us know what you really think underneath whilst you are lying through your teeth, bit of a trademark to yourself and others like you...

Volcana
Aug 31st, 2002, 10:15 PM
I think you it all depends on your persepective. Martina is clearly still physically compromised. She's not where she was athletically in the spring. She didn't suddenly get old. She just is fully recovered yet. So now we see how great the Hingis mind is, and how fast the Hingis hands are. She did win her 2nd round match fairly handily. She can probably make Amanda Coetzer give her easy angles to hit. And Monica must be having problems, because it shouldn't take her eight sets to get to the fourth round of anything.

So the QFs are in reach for Martina. Well, I kind of figured that was are far as she was going before she got hurt. So to me, she actually proving she's a superior tennis player.

lukehingis
Aug 31st, 2002, 10:39 PM
Downward spiral is harsh... Martina is coming back from injury of course she will struggle for a while esp now when the players are in good form. But January next year, Hingis will be fit and ready to compete at a high level. I don't think she'll drop out of the top 10. I see her somewhat like evert who after Martina N came, lingered in the top five and won a few slams. I won't say it's impossible for her to get back to number one even.

Apart from the William sisters, davenport and capriati, I don't see any other player who can beat Hingis when she's at her best like in 2000 US Open. I have a feeling that in the next 3 or 4 years, Venus, Serena, Lindsay, Martina and Jennifer while have a stranglehold on the top 5 and would be regulars in the semi-finals of all the slams.

Martina is simply too talented to be out of the top 5 let alone top 10!

CJ07
Aug 31st, 2002, 10:47 PM
Well lets see how she plays Monica, after that you can make an assesment

selesrules
Aug 31st, 2002, 11:07 PM
Actually Hingis still has to play Coetzer. Coetzer has 2 wins over her and has also beaten Graf, Seles, Venus, Davenport, you guys need to show a little respect to her :rolleyes:

MartianJoeyWinson
Aug 31st, 2002, 11:09 PM
It doesnt matter if it is harsh or whatever, to me it is just a blatant swipe in order to demoralise Martina Hingis fans, when it only works out that we stand up to this bollocks. As americans say, "do the math"

TeeRexx
Aug 31st, 2002, 11:51 PM
Joey - Thanks for letting know that I am a local legend.
Will an award be forthcoming?
Joey, you are such a touch little guy. :p

Someday my faves will be in a downward spiral and I will have to jump off their bandwagon onto another wagon like my buddy, Fingon, did. LOL

Ha, that will never happen because I am a WILLIAMS fan for life. :)

Hingis should be able to stay in the top ten and once again be competitive by Oz.

vertiklychalengd
Sep 1st, 2002, 12:00 AM
amanda coetzer is on a downward spiral! so hingis would beat her for sure

TeeRexx
Sep 1st, 2002, 12:02 AM
vertik - No, Coetzer is spiraling down faster than Marti. :p

MartianJoeyWinson
Sep 1st, 2002, 12:51 AM
TeeRexx, nice to see you're picking out one (the most prominent, possibly the only one) who deferred cos he couldnt be arsed.

I myself as well as 99.99% of the rest of Hingis fans are Hingis fans for life, no matter how much I criticise her, I'll continue to be her fan cos I have stuck by her and I hate fleeters and glory hunters and that's not how I've been bought up, total respect to yourself for being the same way.

But just don't slag mine and many other's faves' off cos we are going through a rough patch, typical of you lot, kicking others while they are down... for kicks!

mboyle
Sep 1st, 2002, 01:23 AM
I think Tee is right. Martina is not playing well right now, but should be back by Oz. I also agree that WilliamsX2, Capriati, Davenport, and Hingis should have a stranglehold on the top five for a few more years. Although some young players (Hantuchova seems most likely to me right now) might stick their heads in occasionally. (Maybe Hingis will be 5 or 6 though instead of 4 or 5)

TeeRexx
Sep 1st, 2002, 03:55 AM
mboyle - Thanks for agreeing with me and being more logical than some of the other posters. :)

During the next few months, Marti can hone her game, get stronger, serve harder and read these post and be better by OZ time.

joaco
Sep 1st, 2002, 04:28 AM
fall out of the top ten:confused:
I mean, after Filaderstad Martina has absolutely no points to defend and we all know Martina plays great in the indoor surfaces.