PDA

View Full Version : South Africa vs Dubai

Yonexforever
Feb 18th, 2009, 01:36 PM
Its ironic that the last country to drag tennis into the political news front was having its own ATP tournament at the same time Dubai was now jeapordizing its sporting future..

cehowardrx7
Feb 18th, 2009, 01:59 PM
Its ironic that the last country to drag tennis into the political news front was having its own ATP tournament at the same time Dubai was now jeapordizing its sporting future..

You better get use to it.. Times dictate actions. Fairminded and just people/nations prefer dialogue and non-violent protest. What happened in Dubai was a form of NON-VIOLENT PROTEST to something.

We, and you noticed I said "we" me included are so spoiled to think that nothing in the world exist except our precious sport. Believe me, if all the nations of the world believe in non-voilent protest, this would be a better world. There would NOT be any fighting wars. We would talk them out, and come to some solutions.

If the future, people that belong to nations/countries that are dishing out wholesale oppression should realized that the people of the world will respond in some form. We have a right as citizen to responded to OPPRESSION, and we have the right as human beings to respond to out right cold blooded killings. And if you want any reasons for what happened in Dubai, I will give you 400 of them right quickly. In the last month or two the Israeli Defense Forces, used Air, Sea and Land forces, killed no less than 400 children in GAZA. That is not to mention the 900 men and women that were killed. What were these people doing, they were sending antique rockets into Israel. The reason they were shooting the antique rockets into Israel was because Israel has taken their land, built settlements on the stolen land, and illegaly occupying other parts of that land. Also, the IDF is using white phophorous in ammunition. All of what I have just mentioned is against INTERNATION LAW.. And the using of the white phorophrous is against the Geneva Convention.

So, sorry about your tennis world being upset, I am sure the 400 children that were killed and cried out for justice didn't mean to curb your tennis watching.

Yonexforever
Feb 18th, 2009, 03:03 PM
You better get use to it.. Times dictate actions. Fairminded and just people/nations prefer dialogue and non-violent protest. What happened in Dubai was a form of NON-VIOLENT PROTEST to something.

We, and you noticed I said "we" me included are so spoiled to think that nothing in the world exist except our precious sport. Believe me, if all the nations of the world believe in non-voilent protest, this would be a better world. There would NOT be any fighting wars. We would talk them out, and come to some solutions.

If the future, people that belong to nations/countries that are dishing out wholesale oppression should realized that the people of the world will respond in some form. We have a right as citizen to responded to OPPRESSION, and we have the right as human beings to respond to out right cold blooded killings. And if you want any reasons for what happened in Dubai, I will give you 400 of them right quickly. In the last month or two the Israeli Defense Forces, used Air, Sea and Land forces, killed no less than 400 children in GAZA. That is not to mention the 900 men and women that were killed. What were these people doing, they were sending antique rockets into Israel. The reason they were shooting the antique rockets into Israel was because Israel has taken their land, built settlements on the stolen land, and illegaly occupying other parts of that land. Also, the IDF is using white phophorous in ammunition. All of what I have just mentioned is against INTERNATION LAW.. And the using of the white phorophrous is against the Geneva Convention.

So, sorry about your tennis world being upset, I am sure the 400 children that were killed and cried out for justice didn't mean to curb your tennis watching.

You said a mouthfull there.. I think in all of that somewhere we agree, politicizing notwhitstanding!
:wavey:

AdeyC
Feb 18th, 2009, 03:16 PM

Fact is theres wrongs on both sides - it just needs some visionary on BOTH SIDES to draw a line in the sand and LOOK FORWARDS - not harping on about who did what to who, etc, deal with it and move on, which none of them will do so this will go on and on forever.

Yonexforever
Feb 18th, 2009, 03:21 PM
I think it was really shortsighted and plain ole GREED by the WTA to either not foresee this coming or not caring.
The were probabl secretly hoping no Israeli players would want to play there.
DUH
Its a money grab all around, huge appearance fees, prize money etc.

calabar
Feb 18th, 2009, 04:17 PM
Let's just suppose that apartheid was still the official policy of South Africa as it was during the "good old days" of the 70's and 80's, and lets also suppose that Venus and Serena weren denied entry into that country to play in a tournament. How many of today's players would want to boycot based on principle? Just wondering.

mboyle
Feb 18th, 2009, 04:37 PM
Fact is theres wrongs on both sides - it just needs some visionary on BOTH SIDES to draw a line in the sand and LOOK FORWARDS - not harping on about who did what to who, etc, deal with it and move on, which none of them will do so this will go on and on forever.

What did Israel do wrong? What the HECK did Israel do wrong? Logical, non anti-semetic people must conclude that Israel did nothing wrong.

Palestine launched rockets into Israel. Israel retaliated. Hamas locates its army near mosques and schools so that idiots like cehoward start blubbering about all the dead children and think Israel is the bad guy when really it was just trying to defend itself.

If cehoward et. al. really want to save the children, they should demand that Hamas not locate its military and terrorist operations in civilian areas. Be men and fight in the open. Their guns against Israeli guns. Of course they refuse to do that, but it just sickens me that people actually fall for their tricks. No one should have sympathy with Palestine. No one. They start every single war, every single skirmish. It is just amazing to me that people would really have Israel sit back and take 10, 20 30 rockets a day into its major cities.

StephenUK
Feb 18th, 2009, 05:03 PM
This is quite an interesting response, but let's look back at apartheid, not exactly one of tennis's finest hours.

The fact is that men's and women's tours continued to host events in apartheid South Africa and allow South African players to play on tour. Not quite sure what the policy was if non-white players played in these events and suffered discrimination (would they have been allowed the same changing rooms, hotels etc?). I very much doubt that Arthur Ashe, Yannick Noah or Leslie Allen would have played the South African Open like Chris Evert did but maybe someone else knows...

Regarding the issue of Shahar Peer's visa, I think I blame the WTA and ATP more for this. Why should she get special treatment and get a visa if other Israelis would not? Many Arab countries have refused to allow anyone in with an Israeli stamp in their passport for years, so this is hardly news to the tennis authorities. The WTA and ATP should think more about which countries they host tournaments in, not just rake in the cash. The fact is that it is probably sensible of the Dubai authorities not to let her in. Dubai apparently cancelled its New Year celebrations because of Gaza so it is probable that Ms Peer's presence in the tournament would have led to demonstrations, serious disruption, even possible terrorist attacks. Of course it is not fair to blame a tennis player for Israel's ludicrously over the top response over Gaza (100 Palestinian dead for every Israeli at least), but I would expect trouble to follow her wherever she plays this year, unless Israel adopts a more pacific and less bloodthirsty approach to the Palestinian territories.