PDA

View Full Version : Monica's matches so far

selesrules
Aug 31st, 2002, 05:50 PM
Round 1: Monica Seles def. Zsofia Gubacsi 6-3, 6-3

Round 2: Monica Seles def. Barbara Schwartz 1-6, 7-6, 6-2

Round 3: Monica Seles def. Yoon Jeong Cho 6-1, 5-7, 6-3

I don't ever remember Monica struggling that much in early rounds of a grandslam. She hasn't played a lot recently because of injury, but she fought very hard to earn a place in the 4th round. Monica showed signs in today's match (when she was up 6-1, 5-1) that she is capable of finding and raising her game in this tournament, so I wouldn't count her out yet. Also unlike other top players, Monica played opponents who came out to play some great tennis, not like some of the other matches that I've seen where an opponent makes 2 winners and 100 errors. I really hope that in the next few matches she will start playing like last summer. Good luck Monica!

CJ07
Aug 31st, 2002, 05:53 PM
Well you have to give credit to Schwartz, she really played good tennis, and dont forget schwartz knocked venus out at RG last year, also Cho is a mini-Hingis and played well. and the other thing is all the other players that the other top seeds are playing either are horrible (Pisnik, Serra Zanetini) or are afraid (anyone who plays the williams')

spencercarlos
Aug 31st, 2002, 06:10 PM
schartz beat Venus in 4th Round 99. Schett did last year. Anyway Remember Barbara Shwartz beat Monica on Fed Cup on April before the injury and in straight sets 7-6 6-3

ttaM
Aug 31st, 2002, 06:13 PM
Schwartz defeated Monica this year so she was confident going into the match. Add in the fact Seles is returning from an injury which would've given Schwartz more confident. Seles should have won 6-1, 6-1 had it not been for the wind and a determined "Hingis-mini me." These two players didn't seem to be intimidated by the power. Hopefully Seles is saving her best for last.

Jippo McScally
Aug 31st, 2002, 08:05 PM
Also Schwartz Qualyfied for Wimby and US Open last year reaching the 3rd round. In Wimby Chanda led 7-6 4-0, then in US Open she beat Coetzer!!!