PDA

View Full Version : Anke Huber 'Hated' the US Open

Iconoclast
Aug 31st, 2002, 03:52 PM
In her column at the German news site Sport1, Anke Huber launches a full-scale verbal assault on the US Open (my translation):

"Among the players the US Open is the least popular Grand Slam tournament. It's hectic, it's loud, and the audience doesn't exactly show a lot of consideration for the players. You have to imagine that just about everyone has a bag of chips and a large coke in their hands, almost acting as if they were watching a baseball game or an ice hockey match.

On top of that, there is the noise of airplanes that regularly fly above the stadium to contend with. As a player it's not always easy to concentrate 100 percent in these surroundings. For years I hated the tournament. I didn't like the city, and I didn't get along particularly well with its people. The transport from the hotel to the stadium each morning always got on my nerves."

Not the biggest Flushing Meadows fan we can safely gather.

However, as she goes on to state, her relationship with the tournament did improve in her concluding years on Tour. And she even grew to appreciate New York City. She stopped worrying as much about the plethora of matters that seemed to bother about the US Open - and, possibly as a result, she did a lot better on court. She reached the Quarterfinal in 1999 and 2000.

She also has this to say about the prospects of a 3rd all-Williams Slam final in a row:

"On the women's side, I think the entire world hopes to avoid yet another final between the Williams sisters. Even though you have to admit that they are the two best players in the world at the moment.

But, honestly, at this point it doesn't really interest anyone whether Venus or Serena will win."

As main challengers to the sister hegemony she lists, in order: Davenport, Mauresmo, Capriati, Henin, and Rubin. Consciously omitting Hingis because of her injury pause.

Iconoclast
Aug 31st, 2002, 04:00 PM
Direct link to the column for the German-inclined:

http://www.sport1.de/coremedia/generator/www.sport1.de/Sportarten/Tennis/Berichte/Kolumne/ten_20kolumne_20huber_202508_20mel.html

nysaga
Aug 31st, 2002, 04:05 PM
Does anyone care with this ex-player have to say? lol She's bitter for not winning a GS in her looonnnnggg career.

kiwifan
Aug 31st, 2002, 04:07 PM
I'm getting sick of the commentators going on and on about how much they miss Anke Huber and how if Anke Huber was here it would be a more competitive field and how they always go into highlights of all those great Anke Huber matches from the years past...

Zamboni
Aug 31st, 2002, 04:07 PM
I can imagine she didn't like the noise. I even don't like it when I'm watching tv and hearing those planes coming over. It must be annoying for the players.

Althea
Aug 31st, 2002, 04:13 PM
"I think the entire world hopes to avoid yet another final between the Williams sisters"

I think, you thinks wrong, your comments may apply to yourself and some others but not the entire world....
---

"But, honestly, at this point it doesn't really interest anyone whether Venus or Serena will win."

Not true, better you speak for yourself and not Everyone else!

Go Venus and Serena anxiously looking forward to each of your matches
:bounce: :bounce:

matthias
Aug 31st, 2002, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by kiwifan
I'm getting sick of the commentators going on and on about how much they miss Anke Huber and how if Anke Huber was here it would be a more competitive field and how they always go into highlights of all those great Anke Huber matches from the years past...

:fiery:

matthias
Aug 31st, 2002, 04:38 PM
she didn´t said she hate NY, she said she hated the open
and i understand her :D

Meesh
Aug 31st, 2002, 04:44 PM
I wish Anke was back! I can hear music and planes while watching on TV! I can see where that would be annoying. People were leaving in herds when Rudeski was up 5-1 in the fifth set! They missed a really good match! I hate when people leave early! The only "past" highlights I've been seeing is Pete vs. Andre in 2001 USO and Connors in 91.

kiwifan
Aug 31st, 2002, 04:45 PM
matthias ,

Germany is my favorite country in Europe, why Cologne reminds me of most cities on the East Coast (Virginia, Maryland, etc.) they just need to knock down those older buildings.

Herne, Bochum, Emmerich (forgive my spelling) are all wonderful places with wonderful people who occaisionally smile.

Seriously, I do love Germany but please, Huber?

I was born 11/22/67 the same day as Boris Becker, my second favorite tennis player all time other than Jimmy Connors.

Also, I didn't complain when the German hand ball allowed them to knock the US out of the World Cup.

I'll be there in 2006 (and probably next summer as "one of my best friends" is German).

I even own the Scorpions Greatest Hits (Rock You Like A Hurricane and Still Loving You rock!)

Am I forgiven, yet?

anton
Aug 31st, 2002, 04:45 PM
Get over yourself Anke!!

Tryphon
Aug 31st, 2002, 04:59 PM
Justine and Amelie also said on Eurosport that it's their least favorite slam, a bit more difficult than the others for European players to handle.

(of course if they even win it, they may change their mind) ;)

irma
Aug 31st, 2002, 05:51 PM

how many semis and finals did she reach here?

selesfan1
Aug 31st, 2002, 05:54 PM
I'm sure a lot of the things like the entire world hating an all williams final is just a slight mis translation but I sure wouldn't wantch if it was an all williams final

Kart
Aug 31st, 2002, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Iconoclast
"On the women's side, I think the entire world hopes to avoid yet another final between the Williams sisters. Even though you have to admit that they are the two best players in the world at the moment.

But, honestly, at this point it doesn't really interest anyone whether Venus or Serena will win."

LOL, don't hold back Anke :D.

anabel
Aug 31st, 2002, 05:55 PM
Anke :)

treufreund
Aug 31st, 2002, 06:07 PM
WOW!!! I love Anke now!!!

KingA
Aug 31st, 2002, 06:17 PM
LOL... Good on ya, Anke!!!

I actually wonder how many ex-players do not enjoy an all-Williams final??? We've heard a similar comment from Gabriel before, and now Anke......... I think Anke should expressed as "the entire WTA Tour (except the Williams sisters)", not "the entire World"!!!

MinskLynx
Aug 31st, 2002, 06:29 PM
anton, Get over yourself, the open, and the city.

Her reasons for disliking the place are more than justifiable. Some people may like the atmospheres, others may not.

Even IF she hated New York as a city, as I do, so what? You love it, she hates it.

Understand that people can have differing tastes and opinions than you and that it is no reason to be angry or hostile in anyway towards them. Currently Americans have major major problems with this when any opinion is antagonist or even slightly has some sense of anti-american sentiment.

treufreund
Aug 31st, 2002, 06:39 PM
well the crowds tend to be very very rude in NYC.

rated_next
Aug 31st, 2002, 06:42 PM
This is the grandslam I dislike the most as well ... and I'm sure there are many others who dislike it as well.

Dawn Marie
Aug 31st, 2002, 06:43 PM
Anke is entitled to her opinions. I on the otherhand disagree with them. The entire WORLD ANke? i don't think so. I know many people who want Serena and Venus to win.:)

As far as NYC, you either like it or love it.

p.s. I am happy that V@S excelled in their sport and I am happy that they will go down in tennis history. So after we are all dead and gone, V@S will still be remembered as two of the best players in tennis.:)

Sophie
Aug 31st, 2002, 06:49 PM
A lot of players disliked playing the Open. Mark Phillipousis once said he was afraid of going anywhere. Rafter hated playing night matches, everyone complains about the transportation and distance to to grounds.

the cat
Aug 31st, 2002, 07:04 PM
Huber is certainly entitled to her opinions. But Anke would have showed me some intestinal fortitude if she said this when she was still player. Kevin Curren said much worse than Anke did when he was playing. But atleast he said it while he was still playing. And he took the heat for it.

As for Huber saying that the U.S. Open is the tennis players least favorite grand slam. That just shows me what babies tennis players are! If everything isn't just right they whine and complain!

And Anke's view on another Williams - Williams grand slam final is confusing! :confused: Why does she have such disdain for the sisters? If it wasn't for the Williams sisters, women's tennis would be in critical condition! :eek: That's fact, not fiction!

Dawn Marie, you have a good understanding of the Big Apple! :D Have you been to the top of the Empire State Building yet?

And Megan, you hate New York City, the greatest City in the world? :sad: :confused: I don't believe it! :eek: You seem too kind to have hate in your heart! :angel: :kiss:

kiwifan
Aug 31st, 2002, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by Megan
Currently Americans have major major problems with this when any opinion is antagonist or even slightly has some sense of anti-american sentiment.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

This coming from a person who couldn't take a joke about Russia?

You see in the States we have this freedom of speech thing.

We get criticized all the time and we criticize ourselves all the time.

It seems that non-Americans who criticize the US, have a "major major problem" with the concept of rebuttal.

If you don't want your country under the microscope (which you have clearly indicated in the past), practice what you preach.

I live in Los Angeles, but used to live in NY, it's not for everyone; but it is the greatest city on Earth.

If anyone disagrees fine, but if you're gonna diss out loud, be prepared to be dissed out loud.

MinskLynx
Aug 31st, 2002, 07:25 PM
The difference between the comment is one is true, that americans have some mindset like that, and another is based on speculation from more than ten years ago.

MinskLynx
Aug 31st, 2002, 07:26 PM
You are right cat, I don't hate. But NYC is more miserable than pleasurable from my experiences.

MinskLynx
Aug 31st, 2002, 07:37 PM
It also should be pointed out that despite the fact I clearly explained I am not Russian, I am Belarussian, you still mistake the two.
I am not sure if the comment about Belarus' President being the last dictator in europe and an overall bad man for example was in that thread, however, it should also be pointed out to you that in such case where my country in general is scrutinized i was objective in my comments, views, and behavior. Contrary to your accusation.
When the misguided and very rude comment was stated, I ofcourse took defense for Russian policy and character.

What about rebuttal?

Princess Fiona
Aug 31st, 2002, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by nysaga
Does anyone care with this ex-player have to say? lol She's bitter for not winning a GS in her looonnnnggg career.

Yes, some of us care what the 'ex-player' has to say, nysaga. :rolleyes:

Thank you for posting, Iconoclast! I miss Anke v. much... nice to read an Anke Huber interview. :)

Infiniti2001
Aug 31st, 2002, 07:48 PM
I just love all these past underachieving players who are getting their names in the news once again... heehee

Princess Fiona
Aug 31st, 2002, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by Infiniti2001
I just love all these past underachieving players who are getting their names in the news once again... heehee

Wow! I wasn't aware the career of Anke Huber was such a source of amusement! :D

I think I should leave this...

evadafan
Aug 31st, 2002, 08:03 PM
Seriously ya'll, let Anke have her say. At least she isn't paying lip service to every player on the tour, like most commentators. She does say that she grew to like the Open more and more.

And yes, she is right, 95% of tennis fans don't care if it's Venus or Serena who win in a final. Those that watch do so to see the tennis, they don't care who wins. Wake up to yourselves.

kiwifan
Aug 31st, 2002, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by Megan
It also should be pointed out that despite the fact I clearly explained I am not Russian, I am Belarussian, you still mistake the two.
When the misguided and very rude comment was stated, I ofcourse took defense for Russian policy and character.
What about rebuttal? :cool:

Actually you were upset because someone joked about cheering for a Russian player when they are pointing nukes at us.

You were also upset because some joked about Russia producing more nukes than cars.

You called all Americans morons.

No big deal.

I'll keep this short, I know the difference between Russia and Belarus (you were defending Russians and you even admitted that Belarus is leaning toward union with Russia on many different levels, so it's not such a leap in potential confusion-I even mentioned that I grew up with Ukranian and live in a part of Los Angeles that is filled with new Russian immigrants - but that doesn't fit in the whine does it?).

I even gave you an opportunity to explain yourself in the past. There's no need now, you're just a "Yank-hater".

I can accept that.

You lost the Cold War, get over it.

What I don't accept is a person who can dish it out but can't take it.

I gave Anke a little spank, it was all in good humor.

Nobody is calling out the marines because a washed up "never was" doesn't like the US Open, NY or the Sisters.

But we will make fun of her.

If there was something worthy of our attention in Belarus, we might make fun of them too.

For now you will just have to leech off of Russian humor.

"Lighten up francis"

harloo
Aug 31st, 2002, 08:13 PM
Another underachiever with a negative view. No suprise, she' s safe now and off the tour. She's wasn't tough enough to say this stuff when she was on tour, she seems like a bit of a punk to me.

Also, the underachiever can't speak for the whole world since she hasn't spoken to everyone in the whole world about the sister's. Pretty clueless girl if ya asked me.

MinskLynx
Aug 31st, 2002, 08:38 PM
Actually, you are wrong about what I was upset over.
I merely turned the tables defensively on people like you, who fail to misunderstood reason and others views.
I did not conclude all Americans are morons, just the general population.
There was no admittance that the two countries are toying with the idea of some kind of union, it is fact that I shared with you to try and help you understand my country. Which, you still fail to do so.
I want to thank you for granting me the opportunity to explain myself, because without your permission I would not have anyways.:rolleyes: And also, despite the fact I just said I don't hate, that you call me a yank-hater. If you make this mistake, what makes me think anything you ever say is reasonable?:rolleyes:
Nobody lost the cold war, nobody won.
Because I don't let you say what you want about me, you percieve me as someone who can't take it:rolleyes: But reality shows, I take plenty and give plenty in return.
The issue is not what you said about Anke, but what you said about me.
Opposition to Anke is "calling in the marines", through means of hostile comments towards her and her opinions.

You understand very little correctly.:rolleyes:

kiwifan
Aug 31st, 2002, 08:58 PM
"I did not conclude all Americans are morons, just the general population."

Okay, I get it now.:p

"After seven decades as a constituent republic of the USSR, Belarus attained its independence in 1991. It has retained closer political and economic ties to Russia than any of the other former Soviet republics. Belarus and Russia signed a treaty on a two-state union on 8 December 1999 envisioning greater political and economic integration... "

:angel: :angel: :angel:

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Aug 31st, 2002, 09:11 PM
I think Anke should not have played if she disliked the US Open. She never said any of this stuff in public while she was playing.

Why did she continue playing? Do her values not overrirde her want for money at the US Open? It sounds like it.

And plus what she said about the Williams sisters is very wrong. There is a lot of buzz, that I have seen firsthand about the dominance of the Williams sisters. Why does she feel the need to be negative?

Anke....you just lost a fan.......

Cam'ron Giles
Aug 31st, 2002, 09:33 PM
Anke is just a washed up player who wish she could still be on the tour winning grand slams. funny how even a doubles finals involving the sisters are rating winners. Anke needs to sit her ass down and reflect on her mediocre career. If she hates all Williams finals so much, she needs to take her lazy ass back on the tour and do something about it. Grabb fat ass Sabatini and maybe they can put a stop to it....

treufreund
Aug 31st, 2002, 10:55 PM
LOL @ Freethinker. Great post. Although I agree with what Anke said, it certainly is kind of tacky and Williams fans have every right to be annoyed. I do think though that most people don't care who wins between the two.

irma
Aug 31st, 2002, 11:02 PM
miss huber was also bashing steffi for moving to america and not spending all her time with the german tennisyouth(bunte a few weeks ago)
who does she thinks she is :rolleyes:

babsi
Aug 31st, 2002, 11:10 PM
Anyone who knew anything about tennis would know that Anke hated (and I mean hated) the wind, that is why she never did very well at Indian Wells, which is one of the worst. And also she has said before that the US Open was never her favourite tournament, go and read a few articles about her.

And also I have read articles about Anke commenting on the Williams sisters before and I NEVER posted them here because I knew people would not agree with her opinion, yes her opinion, maybe she was going a bit far with saying 'the whole world' but she doesn't like it, big deal!

And also for people who are saying that they are not a fan anymore, big deal!...I am sure she is losing sleep over it!

And keep going with the underachieving thing, but at least with her being retired now she is giving something back to tennis, how many other players do that???

kiwifan
Aug 31st, 2002, 11:12 PM
When asked for a reply Steffi Agassi responded, "Anke who?"

babsi
Aug 31st, 2002, 11:13 PM
And for anyone who is questioning Anke's personality, I met her last year and she was one of the sweetest and nicest players out there, and she was playing a football match and she was smiling the whole time...Auf Gehts Anke!:)

Irish
Aug 31st, 2002, 11:15 PM
Go Anke!!!! :D

iluvtrent
Aug 31st, 2002, 11:22 PM
I think one reason SOME in the tennis community are "bored" with an all-Williams final is because that means all the ranking points and all the $$$ goes to the sisters. :)

Serena y Monica
Sep 1st, 2002, 12:42 AM
Please

Anke isn't even a has been...she's a never was!

Robyn

I don't mean to be rude but...Duh!

Fingon
Sep 1st, 2002, 01:21 AM
I guess that nobody is allowed to have an opinion, specially not an opinion on Venus or Serena.

If Anke Huber says something is because she is bitter because she never won a GS.

Gabriela Sabatini, was a choker and never achieved much.

hmmm who else? Navratilova is envious because they are younger.

If a poster says something, that poster is either a racist (whether he/she knows it or know :rolleyes: ) or is bitter because the Williams sisters are beating their favourite.

It's ok to criticize other players, that's about right, I don't like Jelena Dokic but she has received a pretty hard criticism, however, her fans don't accuse everyone of being bitter because of ... or whatever.

People have the right to have an opinion. The Williams sisters are great players, they have demonstrated it, right now they are the best by a big difference with the rest of the tour, but that's not enough, everyone has to like their game or be accused of racist or bitter or something.

And btw, when Davenport and Martina were dominating, many people said they found it boring and were claiming for Venus to come back, it's only natural that fans will enjoy their favourites winning and fans of other players will not. I found the time when Steffi dominated boring but I am sure her fans found it very exciting. 1997 was a great year for me but I am sure it was boring for most fans, that's just human, get a grip.

Irish
Sep 1st, 2002, 01:24 AM
Very good post Fingon. :D

Hulet
Sep 1st, 2002, 01:33 AM
Anke is so yesterday. :o

Althea
Sep 1st, 2002, 01:40 AM
okay Fingon what an opinion,

stillsay she would do better to speak for herself... btw way I am living proof that her following opinions are wrong:

" think the entire world hopes to avoid yet another final between the Williams sisters. But, honestly, at this point it doesn't really interest anyone whether Venus or Serena will win."

Now her opinion of the US Open is more acceptable to me because she doesn't try to claim that the whole world dislikes/hates the US OPen, The People, Transportation, etc., she speaks for herself about herself/her own opinion.

Did anyone cry racist before your post??? if so, I must of missed it.

victory1
Sep 1st, 2002, 01:41 AM
anke who?

put him on your ignore list Althea like I've done, he says nothing that is worth listening to! He has his own agenda!;)

Althea
Sep 1st, 2002, 01:43 AM
lol at Steffie, I mean Victory

kiwifan
Sep 1st, 2002, 01:53 AM
Everyone is entitled to their opinions.

Everyone has said their opinions about the sisters.

Everyone has to be prepared to be judged based on their opinions.

That is because "everyone" as a group includes those who disagree with you.

Say what you will (even if it is the broken record of how "no one can criticize the Williams Sisters" - even though they seem to get plenty of criticism on this board).

So what if people think you're a bit phony(I do), a racist (I don't), a hater (totally are!!!) or right (plenty of people agree with you).

Be honest, if Anke said nothing, no one would be even thinking about her right now. That's the new "retired attention-starved underachieving veteran" trick, dog out the Sisters and get yourself a little attention.

Anke's fan should rejoice.

Now look forward, I hope the winner of the Chucky-Monica match kills the loser so the loser will go back to the woodshed and improve their game.

They both need to work on fitness and become more agressive out there.:cool: :cool: :cool: :p

Cybelle Darkholme
Sep 1st, 2002, 01:55 AM
anke is entitled to her opinion just like we are entitled to react to her opinion. Get over yourself as if you never criticized someone's opinion.

Gallofa
Sep 1st, 2002, 01:58 AM
Many people here are in clear contradiction with what they are stating. If you care so little about her opinion, why bother? I don't get it.

I, on the other hand, am not a fan of either the Williams or Huber, but I find what Anke has to say very interesting. She was a great tennis player and she knows much more about tennis, the WTA and what goes on behind the scenes than all the people on this board combined (save for those of you who are really tennis players in disguise of course).

As a great tennis player, and more importantly, as a human being, she deserves respect. There is absolutely nothing insulting in her opinions. And if we don't agree with her we can argue her points, but there's no need to call her names, that's just childish and unbecoming.

Sam L
Sep 1st, 2002, 02:08 AM
What Anke said about All-Williams finals is wrong. There's a lot of people who look forward to their finals. She shouldn't have said that.

What she said regarding the US Open, well that's her opinion.

Anyway why are we even arguing about this? :confused:

Fingon
Sep 1st, 2002, 02:21 AM
Althea, I didn't say that anyone called Anke a racist, I was just referring to the multiple attacks that everyone receives when criticizes one of the Williams, I said you are either called racist, or bitter. Anke was called bitter, not racist, but it seems to me that if someone doesn't like something about the Williams sister it has to be a hidden motive on that.

Well, I don't like Lindsay but I never had to defend myself for not liking her. I don't like Capriati, in fact, I dislike Jennifer as much as I dislike the Williams, but Jennifer fans don't jump on my throat.

I agree that Anke shouldn't have said "the whole world", but what's the big deal? she isn't a politician or have expert preparing her speeches. Saying the entire world is in my opinion only a way to say things, she meant that many people don't like an all Williams final.

Another thing, I do know many people do look forward to an all Williams final. They are right, I don't have any problem with people liking that final, why some Williams fans have problems with people not liking it?

I think one of the main problems with the all Williams finals, in opposition to other rivalries like Hingis-Davenport,, Graf-Seles or Navratilova-Evert is that you can't really sense a real rivalry there.

If Navratilova beat Evert Evert was upset, Ever fans were upset, Navratilova was very happy and Navratilova fans were very happy.

Venus beats Serena, Serena beats Venus, no emotion, most of their fans are fans of both player so for them it doesn't matter who wins. Venus said the other day it was a win win situation for her becuase even if she didn't win her sister did. You could see that Serena was happy but not THAT happy, she didn't look as she had just won a Grand Slam and that's very understandable as she just beat her sister, but that takes something off the game.

Dawn Marie
Sep 1st, 2002, 02:28 AM
Fingon and (Babsi aka Jo7) your replies both reek.

Anke is entitled to her opinions and if folks wish to argue them then so what| This is a tennis message board. Race has nothing to do with folks argueing her statements.

Anke is a player who will always go down in history as a women who was talented but didn't amount to much on the court. Anke stanks. She wants to diss these women players then hell I can diss the ex women players.

Also she may not of liked NYC, but hell from her results at the OPEN it didn't like her either. That wind messed her head up maybe because it felt her dislike.:):)

Fingon
Sep 1st, 2002, 02:38 AM
I guess the intelligent debate is over now.

First, how can the US Open dislike someone?. Last time I checked the US Open was an event, not a person, not even a cat, that's a new trend.

The US Open hates Anke Huber.

Wimbledon gets horny with Anna stepping on its courts.

The Australian Open is too shy.

Also, as you said, anyone is entitled to have their own opinion about what other players say about the Williams, and if we continue with that, other posters have all the right to get fed up with SOME Williams fans moaning about everything all the time.

I am also entitled to think you are utterly stupid and you demonstrated it with every one and each one of your posts.

If you could see beyond your own bias you would notice that just one post before I said that the reference to racism wasn't related to Anke but it's one of the arguments constantly used against anyone criticizing the Williams for any reason.

Yes this is an open message board and it's up to the adminitrators what they allow or don't allow here but, you could have notice that I post much less than I used to do, the reason is simple, it's simply tiresome to find that every time somebody mentions a Williams sister there is a social, anthropological and psychological discussion about all the motivations and hidden motive of the people behind those comments.

Frankly, some times it gets tiresome to listen to bullshit all day and trying to speak to kindergarden level minds what you meant.

Dawn Marie
Sep 1st, 2002, 02:54 AM
Oh my dear Ricardo, I wasn't actually stating the Us Open hates Anke as a LITERAL quote. Sorry, What I was refering to was that sometimes if one sets off negatives vibes, that alot of times the wind, or air, or whatever just won't reciprocate with anything positive.

Anke even stated herself that after awhile she got used to NYC, and the Open. I take it at that point she had better results as well.:)

Fingon
Sep 1st, 2002, 02:56 AM
I think Berlin is in love with Justine, I heard they are engaged.

Kiki
Sep 1st, 2002, 03:00 AM
It's Anke own fault. If she's going to say stuff like tthat to the media then she has to just deal with whatever reactions people have. She shouldn't of told the media if she didn't want to get dissed about it. I agree with Dawn all the way.

TS
Sep 1st, 2002, 03:22 AM
Gosh...some of you in here :rolleyes:

Geez, so now we are going to jump down a persons throat for having an opinion? Good on you Anke for stating your true feelings. We need more of people like her, rather than the false facade put on by so many in this sport.

I can go on but I really cant be bothered.

Ted of Teds Tennis
Sep 1st, 2002, 03:32 AM
Dawn Marie wrote:
Oh my dear Ricardo, I wasn't actually stating the Us Open hates Anke as a LITERAL quote.

And how do we know that Huber's quote about the "whole world" not being interested in an all-Williams final wasn't hyperbole?

On a more serious note, somebody in this thread commented on the buzz that the Williams sisters are creating. How much of a buzz are they creating outside the US? (This is a serious question. I don't know the answer.)

treufreund
Sep 1st, 2002, 04:17 AM
The Williams will create media buzz and have their following but most people are already bored with them and their finals and this trend will continue. Even the GREAT ANKE HUBER says so (btw this is all tongue in cheek)

Fingon you crack me up! You are 100% right!

Crazy Canuck
Sep 1st, 2002, 07:31 AM
I can understand why she wouldn't like the open, and I was merely a spectator.

Crazy Canuck
Sep 1st, 2002, 07:33 AM
I guess the intelligent debate is over now.

Funny, I hadn't noticed that one had started ;)

-Sonic-
Sep 1st, 2002, 09:28 AM
I love your scary grip anke. Your opinions are and valid as anyones. If i had a newspaper column to write i wouldn't be wishy washy, cos the column would have been given to me for me to write my opinions.

Aloysius
Sep 1st, 2002, 04:12 PM
Why does everyone get so hostile whenever a different point of view is raised? So Anke Huber didn't like the US Open or New York City and she thinks no one wants to see another all-Williams final. You don't have to agree with her but why go all high and mighty? Osama she ain't.

matthias
Sep 1st, 2002, 04:15 PM
good question Aloysius. :confused:

this board is very sensitive

apoet29
Sep 1st, 2002, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by Aloysius
Why does everyone get so hostile whenever a different point of view is raised? So Anke Huber didn't like the US Open or New York City and she thinks no one wants to see another all-Williams final. You don't have to agree with her but why go all high and mighty? Osama she ain't.

Very good post. I really don't understand why people get up in arms when someone else offers an opinion. My God, sometimes I think political correctness has made things worse for free speech!

MinskLynx
Sep 1st, 2002, 04:23 PM
Fingon, I understand what you mean by the racial accusations and they are very true.

Oh my dear Ricardo, I wasn't actually stating the Us Open hates Anke as a LITERAL quote.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And how do we know that Huber's quote about the "whole world" not being interested in an all-Williams final wasn't hyperbole?

I was going to say the exact same thing Ted.:)

the cat
Sep 1st, 2002, 05:09 PM
You're right apoet! Anke Huber is entitled to her opinions. But anyway you slice it or topspin it, Anke Huber, who I like, comes accross as bitter and definately anti Williams.

I think if Clijsters and Henin were ranked 1 and 2 and dominating, Huber wouldn't have said anyhting.

Dawn Marie
Sep 1st, 2002, 05:39 PM
Good post cat, and I agree.

Come on people, this is a MESSAGE board and when quotes are posted common sense will tell yah, that people are going to post, write and express their opinions JUST LIKE ANKE did. I mean hell just ignore the thread, but saying over and over, that one doesn't understand why people get so sensitive when players speak opinions is bullcrap. We are all posting on a tennis message board. LOL

kiwifan
Sep 1st, 2002, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by Dawn Marie
when quotes are posted common sense will tell yah, that people are going to post, write and express their opinions JUST LIKE ANKE did. I mean hell just ignore the thread, but saying over and over, that one doesn't understand why people get so sensitive when players speak opinions is bullcrap. :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

They should tatoo this quote to the bottom of the first message of every thread!:cool: :cool: :cool:

MinskLynx
Sep 1st, 2002, 05:55 PM
"Ignore the thread"

Something you two could work on

CB
Sep 1st, 2002, 06:36 PM
I've already been to the Open and I have to say it really isn't the most charming tournament.

She is right. It sucks for the players. Most La Guardia planes fly over the complex. By the way, all planes I got from La Guardia flew over the centre and I saw the courts and stuff ;)

Miss ya Anke :D

Dawn Marie
Sep 1st, 2002, 06:54 PM
Meg I don't go around wondering why people express their opinions, I just argue my point until the cows come home.

This is a message board, I think you missed my point.

Kiwifan, got it though.:)

Double Fault
Sep 1st, 2002, 07:25 PM
She's entitled to her opinion. What I do not understand - If I don't like something I DO NOT keep on going back for more. Why did Anke keep going back to NYC is she didn't like the place or the people??

CB
Sep 1st, 2002, 07:38 PM
Because it's a Grand Slam, mate.

Hidden Stillness
Sep 1st, 2002, 07:39 PM
Well, as we gather, there are two ways to answer these comments: you can be a defensive, knee-jerk asshole ("Who cares" "She's a has-been" "She 'hates' the Williamses"), or you can actually try to learn something. This thread shows what is wrong, and right, with this website; the original post was great, and there have been some thoughtful replies.
I realized myself a few years ago that the very things that make me love the U.S. Open--the excitement, crowds everywhere, matches all over, media covering everything as if it were important, New York, the Big Time, etc.--is exactly what would've made me hate it, if I had been a player. Noise, stress, pressure, the spotlight, loud crowds, all of it. Contrast that with the equally great, but totally different audiences at the old Chase Championships at MSG--knowledgeable, but so quiet you could hear a pin drop during play, unless there was a real reason for excitement. Also, the U.S. Open is plagued by wind the same way Wimbledon is plagued by rain. I remember Jana Novotna talking specifically about how hard it was to play the old center court, Louis Armstrong Stadium, and Court 1, but that Arthur Ashe was somewhat better. When they criticize Americans, though, and claim that we are not good people, I get as hurt and offended as anyone else. The line about "everyone has a bag of chips and a large coke in their hands," though, was funny. That's ridiculous!
About her comments on the Williamses--I agree. Is there anything more boring and phony than a match between these two? I'm tired of the free ride they get from the media, and the vicious hostility of their "fans." Richard Williams refers to Lindsay Davenport, who did nothing to any of their family, as a "big white turkey," and said a couple of years ago that "All Venus has to do is show up," to beat Hingis. (Hingis won--only time I ever cheered for her, that's for sure.) V.W. cancels 4 minutes before the start of a match, and when the peons boo, Richard Williams compares them to the murderer of Martin Luther King. God....Williams held up that ugly, smarmy sign at Wimbledon that "It's Venus's Party + No One is Invited," or whatever that crap was. Serena and Venus are greedy, selfish materialists who talk of little other than wanting to spend thousands+thousands of dollars buying new gadgets and V.W. even had the stupid gall to attack Pres. Clinton for taxes rich people have to pay, when Clinton called to congratulate her for her 1st Wimbledon win. What assholes. Chanda Rubin was right, Sabatini was right--their tennis is stupid bashing, and (Rubin) "Serena Williams tries to intimidate people with macho tennis." For people who grew up with the wise, smart courage of fighters like B.J. King, Rosie Casals, etc., this is a travesty (also, Capriati's recent ignorance about Title IX). The instant hostility of their "fans"--is there anything more vicious than a teenager?--is also incredibly tiring, and the half-assed, hypocritical "sociological analyses" of why anyone could possibly like anyone other than the Williamses, forcing people to knuckle under, infuriates me.

CC
Sep 1st, 2002, 07:43 PM
Richard Williams refers to Lindsay Davenport, who did nothing to any of their family, as a "big white turkey,"

Er, I think Spirlea was the turkey.

Fingon
Sep 1st, 2002, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by the cat
You're right apoet! Anke Huber is entitled to her opinions. But anyway you slive it or topspin it, Anke Huber, who I like, comes accross as bitter and definately anti Williams.

I think if Clijsters and Henin were ranked 1 and 2 and dominating, Huber wouldn't have said anyhting.

I think the cat that you completely missed the point :p

I don't know how Anke would feel about Justine and Kim being # 1 and 2 (I like them in that order better :)) but that's not the point.

Many people, notably Williams fans said on the old board they were bored with Davenport and Hingis getting to every final, as a Hingis fan I enjoyed it and I am sure Lindsay fans did as well and I understood that fans of other players didn't like it.

Now I personally find it very boring to see an all-Williams final, however, I would find it very exciting if Justine or Martina got to every final and shared titles.

So, you might not mind some players dominance and dislike other players dominance, there isn't a law that says that you always have to like two players dominating or you never can like them, you can like some and dislike some others.

The poinst is that if you don't like the Williams sisters, you aren't necessarily a racist, or the antichrist, you can simply be a human being with a different taste.

As apoet said, policical correctness has gone too far to a point you can't say anything.

Now the question is, if Kim and Justine were dominating and somebody said he/she found it boring, would everyone jump on that person's throat?

irma
Sep 1st, 2002, 07:49 PM
the belgians sure would :p

Double Fault
Sep 1st, 2002, 07:57 PM
CB, Grand slam or not, if she felt so strongly she should have given it a miss. Like Dokic at the Aus Open or Guga at Wimby.

Life's too short to put yourself in miserable positions. She's a millionaress, so it's not the money. Where's your principles Anke?

She is sure entitled to her opinion, as are we. :)

harloo
Sep 1st, 2002, 07:58 PM
And what are you doing Hidden Stillness? I can answer that question for you, being a knee jerk asshole that you accused others of being. Your obvious hatred for the Williams proves makes you pretentious. On one hand you accuse others of spewing hate in their opinions, but then you go on to trash the sister's like you are God or something. I just laugh at your ignorance, because whatever you level at the Williams and their fans doesn't matter anyways. They win and go on about their business, avoiding people like you.

Also, if Anke says something that people don't agree with then they have a right to express their opinion. Anke was an underachiever so if the shoe fits wear it. If anyone want's to criticize other's then expect people to have something to say about it.

Fingon and crew, let it go. If Anke is gonna criticize the sisters and the U.S. Open then she has a right to do so, but don't expect everyone to just let it fly without criticism. I don't even know what race has to do about it, since noone brought race up except Fingon. Anke said what she had to say, and everyone doesn't agree on it. She was scandalous for saying that about a bag of chips and a big soda comment, which was funny but still disrespectful IMO.

Hidden Stillness
Sep 1st, 2002, 08:04 PM
"Your obvious hatred," "like you are God." Case closed.

CB
Sep 1st, 2002, 08:22 PM
Yeah DF but there's no way she would skip a tournament due to hate.

Simply because it's tennis, the passion of her life. She probably didn't like the Open.. but hate is too strong.

Diamond
Sep 1st, 2002, 08:25 PM
If the article was translated correctly:

Maybe everybody in her lily white world.

apoet29
Sep 1st, 2002, 08:39 PM
Hidden Stillness,

Your post started out making sense and then it trailed off into a hate bash of the Williams'. You cannot point a finger at Williams fans proclaiming their rudeness when you engage in the same behavior yourself. You have taken every story ever written about the sisters and turned into something demeaning simply because you view the sisters as something offense to you. Please realize that the same thing can be said about every other elite player on the tour. You seem to suffer from a well known disease called hypocrisy. Please don't post something this hateful again. It demeans us all.

harloo
Sep 1st, 2002, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by Hidden Stillness
"Your obvious hatred," "like you are God." Case closed.

What happened to your original post Hidden? Can't take the heat? LMAO! :D :) ;)

Hidden Stillness
Sep 1st, 2002, 08:47 PM
"Please don't post something this hateful again. It demeans us all." Case closed.

harloo
Sep 1st, 2002, 08:52 PM
:rolleyes: Well, I guess you answered my question. It was too hot for you, eh? LMAO.:D

sartrista7
Sep 1st, 2002, 08:59 PM
I can see why Anke hated the US Open - I'm only watching on TV and the atmosphere's pissing me off (the crowds seem so ignorant and disrespectful, and the planes are unbelievably irritating). As for the Williams comments, remember that most translations are pretty inaccurate.

the cat
Sep 1st, 2002, 09:02 PM
Fingy Fingon, I didn't miss the point! ;) Would Anke Huber have the nerve to say the entire world doesn't want to see a U.S. Open final between Clijsters and Henin? Nyet! :eek: Of course she wouldn't say that. But she did say it about the Williams sisters. Case closed!

And like it or not, the Williams sisters will play in another grand slam final next Saturday.

Iconoclast
Sep 1st, 2002, 10:46 PM
Maybe my translation was a bit crude in a few places. Her exact wording was "wohl die ganze Welt". Could have translated it to "probably/arguably/in all likelihood the entire world". Still, it is merely a figure of speech - relaying what can only be described as a common opinion. That yet another Sister final (2nd year in the row at the US Open, 3rd Slam running) would not be the most appealing. I seem to remember that even some Williams fans have expressed similar thoughts.

Iconoclast
Sep 1st, 2002, 11:00 PM
Would Anke Huber have the nerve to say the entire world doesn't want to see a U.S. Open final between Clijsters and Henin? Nyet! :eek: Of course she wouldn't say that. But she did say it about the Williams sisters. Case closed!
Let's reopen that case.

Clijsters and Henin are not sisters. They don't even share native languages. Sure, they are good friends. But I very much doubt they shed any tears when they beat each other. The atmosphere in matches between them does not have sisterly vibes.

Your comparison becomes even more moot when further noting that they haven't battled each other in the last two Slam finals. There would be no repetitiveness in a US Open rendezvous between them.

So, to answer your question, Anke Huber wouldn't say that the entire world wouldn't want to see such a final. Not because she is a hypocrite, but because the two situations are altogether different.

Anke Huber did not utter one negative word about either Venus or Serena. As a spectator to the sport of tennis, she addressed the relative unattractiveness of yet another sisterly Slam slug-out.

kiwifan
Sep 1st, 2002, 11:10 PM
Looks like the haters have turned to whiners.

I love that the one clown goes completely psycho mid-post.

That might have been the ultimate hater post of the US Open period.

And I still have never called anyone on the board a racist!!!

Ps. I am going to assume that someone posted a negative comment directed toward me, before the truce...

I wonder who's hiding behind the US Flag and the name "Hidden Stillness"?

Actually I don't really care, she/he is a big ole big ole zero.

MinskLynx
Sep 2nd, 2002, 12:01 AM
For reference kiwifan, no truce was agreed upon by me.

Last time I used the phrase, or one similar to it, "The whole world..." I remember it being a general statement. Not literally meaning every single person on the planet.

kiwifan
Sep 2nd, 2002, 12:22 AM
Fine.

Doesn't pay to be nice sometimes.

CoryAnnAvants#1
Sep 2nd, 2002, 12:49 AM
Of course you're going to hate a place if you have sh*t results this year. I don't play tournaments at one particular site in CT because I played a horrible match as a seed two years in a row and went out in round 1 each time. If Anke had won the US Open, she would be saying "I love the energy of the crowd and I feed off it, blah blah blah." Of course when she finally got the qtrs, she said "I like the city a lot more than I used to." Duh! You finally made it to Labor Day weekend for once! The Australian Open was her favorite tournament cuz she lived up to her damn potential one year! It's perfectly understandable. You feel comfortable where you play well. Court Central at the French isn't Sampras's "backyard," it's Centre court at Wimbledon. Anke does not hate New York. She hated going out early each year and manifested that into a dislike of playing there.

Hurley
Sep 2nd, 2002, 01:54 AM
Hell, I go to the Open every year and I love it. I find it to be relaxing and a brilliant time. Anke didn't play the outer courts often, being such a solid player for so many years; on those courts the hardcore fans come out, and are respectful and don't often have chips (but sometimes have Skittles!).

Anke made a point that was missed often -- she didn't say she hated the Williams sisters, she said that often it doesn't matter and no one cares which one wins. If you're going to criticize her opinions, at least get her comment straight.

Megan, I guarantee you that "the general population" of the United States is not mainly comprised of imbeciles. Perhaps my compatriots have poor taste often but the brains are here. Immerse yourself in America and you will see.

I love the US Open! :D

kiwifan
Sep 2nd, 2002, 02:23 AM
There are a set of courts in Rochester, NY that have fences instead of nets.
I've never played well there and I hate them too.
I don't think Anke hates the Sisters; I don't hate Anke.
I thought she was cute but not a player to worry about in my faves path.
I will make fun of anyone though, as a former NY'er that's just the way I am.
If you have thin skin...

Fingon
Sep 2nd, 2002, 02:25 AM
Fingy Fingon, I didn't miss the point! ;) Would Anke Huber have the nerve to say the entire world doesn't want to see a U.S. Open final between Clijsters and Henin? Nyet! :eek: Of course she wouldn't say that. But she did say it about the Williams sisters. Case closed!

And like it or not, the Williams sisters will play in another grand slam final next Saturday.

The cat, what if Anke didn't find a final between Kim and Justine boring?

And would she have the nerves? well, why wouldn't she? because some people on a tennis message board would be mad at her? errrm I don't think so, you know, I love tennis but it's just a very small sport and only Anna Kournikova is very well known everywhere, so, worldwide nobody really cares what Anke Huber or anyone else says, just this message board and a few more message boards. This isn't the New York Times.

In any case, I don't thing the case is closed, you may not like an all Williams final and may like other players dominating, so?

Fingon
Sep 2nd, 2002, 02:29 AM
Originally posted by harloo

Fingon and crew, let it go. If Anke is gonna criticize the sisters and the U.S. Open then she has a right to do so, but don't expect everyone to just let it fly without criticism. I don't even know what race has to do about it, since noone brought race up except Fingon. Anke said what she had to say, and everyone doesn't agree on it. She was scandalous for saying that about a bag of chips and a big soda comment, which was funny but still disrespectful IMO.

for the 4th time, I didn't say race had anything to do with what Anke said or what people said about Anke.

I SAID THAT RACE IS ONE OF THE ARGUMENTS NORMALLY USED AGAINST ANYONE WHO DARES TO CRITICIZE THE SISTERS

kiwifan
Sep 2nd, 2002, 02:40 AM
Fingon, your obsession with race is tiresome, will you let us argue in peace.

MinskLynx
Sep 2nd, 2002, 03:05 AM
I UNDERSTAND YOUR COMMENTS ON RACE

kiwifan
Sep 2nd, 2002, 03:13 AM
Thanks for sharing.

Fingon
Sep 2nd, 2002, 03:16 AM
Fingon, your obsession with race is tiresome, will you let us argue in peace.

kiwifan, you are tiresome as a whole. If you want to argue in peace I suggest you to post on another message board.

Let me know when you finish kindergarden and I will send you a candy

kiwifan
Sep 2nd, 2002, 03:27 AM
Mmmm.

Mr. Goodbar is my favorite.

Ted of Teds Tennis
Sep 2nd, 2002, 03:30 AM
Fingon wrote:
kiwifan, you are tiresome as a whole. If you want to argue in peace I suggest you to post on another message board.

The first time I read this I thought it said kiwifan was as tiresome as a whore.... :D

kiwifan
Sep 2nd, 2002, 03:42 AM
Don't change the subject, I want my Mr. Goodbar!!!

Ps. I have never aspired to be a foriegn currency sex worker.

I will settle for a Hershey Bar with Nuts.

Fingon
Sep 2nd, 2002, 03:49 AM
Mmmm.

Mr. Goodbar is my favorite.

Is that a candy?

kiwifan
Sep 2nd, 2002, 03:56 AM
Yes, it's chocolate, in Candian currency it might cost $50.00

It's $0.55 down here in the land of opportunity.

Raisin
Sep 2nd, 2002, 11:34 AM
Everyone has a right to state their own opinions.

Now which poster brought race into this?:rolleyes:

beecharmer
Sep 2nd, 2002, 01:58 PM
I think the true meaning was lost in the translation. From what I understand, the general public (i.e. not fans who follow the game as closely as those on this board) find it very difficult to differentiate between venus and serena - essentially because of the familial ties, they appear to be one and the same player. And because tennis is a combative sport (boxing with class), the public need the ability to feel the two players on court either hate each other, or if they like each other, would still want to dominate her in a match situation. Venus' halting explanation of wanting to win last year's final, but also wanting Serena to win in the ceremony is testimont to that. As I understand it, it wasn't even the standard of tennis Anke was talking about.

Beige
Sep 3rd, 2002, 12:24 PM
First of all, I have nothing against Anke and yes she is entitled to her opinion. However she's a public figure so it comes with the territory that she will be criticized (or praised) for comments she makes to the press. She didn't say anything offensive in my opinion but I am surprised that the US Open was her least favorite Slam. I'm not trying to be funny or even smug but Anke comes from a country that frowns upon superficiality so I don't understand why she would hate the brutally honest atmosphere of the Open or NYC. I could understand if the Open was held somewhere in Middle America where the "wholesome goodness" of the people even gets on my nerves, blush, but this is the Big Apple where someone like Anke would revel in people NOT saying things they don't mean unlike other parts of the States where people are friendly even to a stranger in an elevator, for example.

P.S. Smartass comment: Well at least for Ms. Huber's sake, she lost early in all but 2 appearances in Flushing Meadow over 10+ years. :P

The Crow
Sep 3rd, 2002, 02:57 PM
I can understand that players don't like the atmosphere at the US Open too much. For instance the music played during the change overs :eek: It would definitely irritate me (I switched channels the other day because they were playing Bruce Springsteen *shudder* ;))