PDA

View Full Version : To hit with alot of topspin what should your racket tension be?

manutoo
Feb 15th, 2009, 04:14 PM
Help please I heard it was like 50-55 but I'm not sure what do players usally get there tension at?

youizahoe
Feb 15th, 2009, 04:25 PM
u need a higher tension to have more control and less power to handle the topspin better. Nadal was around 51 kg I thought.

New_balls_please
Feb 15th, 2009, 04:27 PM
Top spin isn´t a function of strings. It depends on what kind of forward or backhand you use. In most cases you have to "snap your wrist" to get more top spin.
Yes, strings can help but learning the proper stroke is way more important. They don't magically get you spin. You must produce it yourself :p

Anyway, 55 should be fine.

The Dawntreader
Feb 15th, 2009, 04:42 PM
Anything less than 50kg would probably give you less control, so the topspin may be hard to use and control.

Like someone said though, topspin is produced with great stroke production not just strings;)

youizahoe
Feb 15th, 2009, 04:49 PM
The tension is important to have good topspin, going under 45 kg will give you a very unstable topspin, because you'll have more power than control.

But yes, the stroke production is the other element, but that's not really so hard.

SV_Fan
Feb 15th, 2009, 05:00 PM
Tension doesnt matter has most has string pattern. You want an open string pattern to hit with alot of top spin. But you a high tension would be nice.

Super_Marion
Feb 15th, 2009, 10:28 PM
Is is widely thought that higher tension gives you more control, but I heard that there has been independent laboratory testing conducted showing no link between higher tension and greater control.

String pattern and string choice may more relevant.

SV_Fan
Feb 15th, 2009, 11:53 PM
Is is widely thought that higher tension gives you more control, but I heard that there has been independent laboratory testing conducted showing no link between higher tension and greater control.

as i said!!!!!!

bjurra
Feb 16th, 2009, 03:07 AM
u need a higher tension to have more control and less power to handle the topspin better. Nadal was around 51 kg I thought.

You are mixing up pounds and kilos.

bjurra
Feb 16th, 2009, 03:08 AM

Anyone who has played tennis on a reasonably good level knows that there is a link between tension and control.

bjurra
Feb 16th, 2009, 03:11 AM
Help please I heard it was like 50-55 but I'm not sure what do players usally get there tension at?

Topspin is a matter of swing and strings, the tension is less important. However, someone with a lot of topspin might struggle to get enough pace on the ball with too high tension. 50-55 lbs sounds good to me.

jazar
Feb 16th, 2009, 08:29 AM
topspin comes from your swing, not your string

bjurra
Feb 16th, 2009, 11:48 AM
topspin comes from your swing, not your string

You dont know what you are talking about. The string has a huge impact.

mojoo999
Aug 23rd, 2009, 12:39 AM
using synthetic gut helps a lot for me.

the jamierbelyea
Aug 23rd, 2009, 07:37 AM
The type of tension of your string and the top of topspin you get one the racket are not mutually exclusive to what type of swing you have.

For example I string mine in the the mid 50 pound range, for mega trampoline effect. I have a huge swing, and put a lot of spin on the ball, so I need the lower tension to generate a lot of power otherwise, I'll have a lot of spin, but no power.

You have to find the balance of both depending on your swing.