PDA

View Full Version : Bud Collins: Can SERENA be stopped?

TeeRexx
Aug 31st, 2002, 07:33 AM
from Bud Collins of MSNBC
----------

Collins is expecting another all-Williams final but sees Serena falling to big sister Venus.

FLUSHING MEADOWS, N.Y., Aug. 30 ó Itís hard to find any faults with someone who has won the last two majors and just breezed past 26th-seeded Nathalie Dechy, 6-1, 6-1, in the third round of the U.S. Open. Serena Williams has played flawlessly in this yearís Open and looks poised to make a run at another major.

http://members.aol.com/venusserenaworld/images/000serena1030454265.jpg

THROUGH THREE ROUNDS of the tournament, Serena has lost only eight total games. Thatís an amazing statistic. Coming in, my one concern for her here in New York was that she might be overconfident after winning the French Open and Wimbledon. Obviously that hasnít been a problem.

NO CHINKS IN THE ARMOR
Everything has been working well for Serena. Her serve has been dominant, sheís returning well and her groundstrokes have been solid. Many skeptics felt her inactivity after Wimbledon might become a problem here. The only tournament she played after the Championships was at Los Angeles, where she was upset by Chanda Rubin in the quarterfinals. But people forget that Serena practices with her sister Venus. What better competition is there than that?

ROAD TO FINAL GETS TOUGHER
Serena shouldnít have a problem making the quarterfinals and if she does sheíll face either Justine Henin or Daniela Hantuchova. Henin gave Serena a struggle in Rome earlier this year, and I expect the same would happen here. As for Hantuchova, Serena handled the 19-year-old Slovakian rather easily in the quarterfinals at Wimbledon, but Hantuchova keeps getting better and better and canít be overlooked. But Serena gets the edge in either matchup.

Assuming she makes the semifinals, Serena will potentially face Lindsay Davenport. Davenport has been playing very well and she is one of the few players with the power to stay with Serena. But the fourth-seeded American has only played in four tournaments after returning from right knee surgery. So I canít see her being in shape enough to stay with the fleet-footed Serena.

ANOTHER WILLIAMS FINAL?
I know Iím not going out on a limb, but I expect a Serena-Venus final for the third straight major. The only difference this time is that I think Venus will win. It would be a great final too, because I think the more and more the sisters play, the more competitive they become with one another as was seen at Wimbledon. They are the only players capable of matching each otherís power and speed and both will be desperate to win.
For Serena, itís important that she wins a third consecutive major and her second Open title. But I think it will mean even more to Venus if she wins her third straight Open and lets her little sister know that sheís not going to roll over for her. Both are playing great and making a prediction is almost like tossing a coin, but I just feel itís Venusí turn.
----------

I think it is, once again, time for VENUS to get another slam as well.
However, her last obstacle may be litle sis.

AjdeNate!
Aug 31st, 2002, 07:36 AM
Shocked! Say it ain't so! He's picking a massive upset there... Lay your bets ladies & gents!!

;)

wongqks
Aug 31st, 2002, 07:43 AM
LOL, he is kinda stating the opinion 99% of people tends to predict LOL

anton
Aug 31st, 2002, 07:55 AM
bud picked serena in london so hopefully he will be right again. go venus!

Larrybid
Aug 31st, 2002, 07:59 AM
THAT is abeautiful pic TR....:lick: :lick:

Weevee
Aug 31st, 2002, 12:41 PM
Forget about the predictions look at the picture. If you can't stand a train wreck don't try to stop a train.

CC
Aug 31st, 2002, 12:57 PM
Venus has the remedy for that there train.

selesrules
Aug 31st, 2002, 01:08 PM
Well, I think that if they both get there Serena will win. She's just better then Venus. But I have a feeling that Monica has something to say in this US Open ;)

TeeRexx
Aug 31st, 2002, 03:24 PM
SERENA is playing very well, but i think that VENUS will bring an end to the Catwoman's reign of terror. :)

With all due respect to Monica, she may play a good match against VENUS, if they meet, but if she can come out victorious in that meeting, she will, almost certainly, win the Open title.
However, that scenario is not likely to occur.

Grycochek
Aug 31st, 2002, 09:45 PM
OMG!!! Look at that @SS!!!! Lord have mercy on us mortal souls. Back to the argument, I think Bud is right. This is Venus time to shine.

Go get lil sis Venus!!

harloo
Aug 31st, 2002, 10:17 PM
Everyone thought Wimby was going to Vee this year, I sure did. But lil sis stole the crown. I'm hoping Vee takes the Open this time, but I would never count out lil sis.:D :) ;) ;)

Jem
Aug 31st, 2002, 11:18 PM
Venus will beat Serena in the final -- in straight sets.

Bright Red
Sep 1st, 2002, 12:41 AM
If either Sister is stopped, my only hope is that it's by the other.