PDA

View Full Version : Some news for Jen-bashers

tia clara
Aug 31st, 2002, 01:47 AM
Title IX has nothing to do with Jennifer's success in Professional Tennis. Get that. PROFESSIONAL tennis. Title IX applies to college sports and as Jennifer did not go to college, she was not affected by Title IX in any way.
So quit whinging about her only being rich because of Title IX. Even bashers should be able to get some of their facts correct.

AjdeNate!
Aug 31st, 2002, 01:55 AM
Those that have made such a big deal about Jen/Title IX probably:

A: Had/have no idea what the hell Title IX is
B: Would pose the same arguments as Jen supporters for lack of knowing.
C: Won't intelligently read this post and what it means.

Serena y Monica
Aug 31st, 2002, 02:27 AM
LOL

Not that I'm a basher...I prefer the title truth teller...but, here's my response:

Btw Ec

You're not that far off. Tennis did develope outside of Universities but if not for Title IV and the struggles that women in general went through to put women's athletics and womens rights in general to the forefront imagine what Womens tennis would be. Also think of it this way. The reason tennis was elitist was because it was played primarily in country clubs amongst the wealthy. Lots of women came from not so wealthy backgrounds,(BJK mother used to sew her outfits) their first access to excellent coaching was in college...Billie was on the front lines pushing for title IV because without oppurtunity there could never be equality, without equality there would be no 900,000.00 purses for Capriati...no endorsement deals, so you see she has benefited from title IV as has every woman in America, whether athlete or not.

I just xfered my response from a different thread...Oh and by the by blacks being successful in every profession has nothing to do with civil rights:) Yeah!